NFL continues to rake in the money new Thursday night deal with NBC and CBS

faba

On February 1, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Shadetree said:

I would prefer Friday or Saturday night because I'm married w 3 kids, so I don't do sh*t on most Friday or Saturday nights. 

I barely make it passed halftime on Monday and Thursday nights as it is, unless it's a great matchup or the jets. Sunday at 1:00 rocks! 

Preference aside, I'm pretty sure those aren't possibilities due to FCC restrictions.

Other than that I agree with everything you wrote here. And even when we go out, there's often a TV in the background that I can sneak watching on Fri/Sat nights, or if we don't have plans. I don't watch hockey or baseball, and I just don't get into college football, so for those nights all I have are the occasional game watching the freaking Knicks. Meh. 

Thursday sucks, Monday sucks, and on the east coast the entire day and night are shot on Sundays if you want to catch more than 1 game (which I generally can't anymore, lest I face Mrs. Sperm's wrath for not sharing in the responsibilities re Sperm's Sperm).

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

when we talk about the cap and "cap hell" it's news like this why there is no cap hell. Since the new CBA the cap goes up every damn year. And not by like a little, it's been like 10 million each time. 

If you were the GM that still wouldn't be nearly enough because we'd have 8-10 players counting $15M apiece. ;) 

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You'll have to fire Bowles and hire Ed Gennaro so he can coach them to play both ways. Then after the game he can coach Julia Roberts into having better table manners again.

in this scenario is Julia Roberts the place kicker?  Cause if so, we're going to need a bigger mouth guard. 

On February 4, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Jet Fan RI said:

With the league at 32 teams, that is probably true. But once they get up to 40-48 teams, watch for the expansion of night games. Think of teams being in Mexico, Canada, England, Berlin, etc, etc. Disgusting, I know. But as long as the profit keeps going up, the league will just keep expanding. And will eventually increase the number of nights that games are on. Again, that is unless profits are negatively impacted...Fans be damned, as far as the league is concerned.

Not sure.  If the league expanded to 48 teams, yeah I can see a time where more than one game is played on a night.  Maybe the opening MNF model, an early and late game.  Can't see other nights.  Can't play Friday or Saturday nights during college season, other night screw with practice and recovery times off of the rest of the schedule.  

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Not sure.  If the league expanded to 48 teams, yeah I can see a time where more than one game is played on a night.  Maybe the opening MNF model, an early and late game.  Can't see other nights.  Can't play Friday or Saturday nights during college season, other night screw with practice and recovery times off of the rest of the schedule.  

They already have 2 Monday night games sometimes. East coast, west coast. Imagine how things could expand if there are European teams. Lots of them. As for playing on another night, I can easily see where Tuesday is a possibility given enough teams, and taking creative advantage of bye weeks. A team could play on a Tuesday night one week, Monday night the next week, then rotate back into a Sunday game the next. Or maybe go on a bye. Wednesdays could work the same way. As for Fridays and Saturdays, the only issue is whether profits would go down because of it. Can the league make more money by going up against college games or by letting the game be played on a Sunday afternoon? If the night venue makes more money, then the league would say to hell with the colleges. I see eventually 7-nights-a-week NFL games. Unless the bottom line is negatively impacted. I think that's all the league really cares about.

20 hours ago, Jet Fan RI said:

They already have 2 Monday night games sometimes. East coast, west coast. Imagine how things could expand if there are European teams. Lots of them. As for playing on another night, I can easily see where Tuesday is a possibility given enough teams, and taking creative advantage of bye weeks. A team could play on a Tuesday night one week, Monday night the next week, then rotate back into a Sunday game the next. Or maybe go on a bye. Wednesdays could work the same way. As for Fridays and Saturdays, the only issue is whether profits would go down because of it. Can the league make more money by going up against college games or by letting the game be played on a Sunday afternoon? If the night venue makes more money, then the league would say to hell with the colleges. I see eventually 7-nights-a-week NFL games. Unless the bottom line is negatively impacted. I think that's all the league really cares about.

They only do the 2 MNF games on the first MNF game.  So I can see them looking at doubling up on a regular basis but I would think after a full day of football on Sunday two more games on monday might be overload for even diehard fans.  

Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights are college football nights.  NFL will not schedule games to go against college.  Thats why they only schedule Saturday night games for the late season when college has wound down.  

Archived