2016: Long Term or Short Term View

varjet

We all know that the NFL is a win now league, and Woody Johnson does not appear fond of the slow build for the long haul approach.  I believe that the Jets in managing 2016 should do their best to build a competitive team for 2016 without overpaying short-term talent.  Given their schedule for 2016, paying too much for short-term talent may not necessarily result in short term results or a long term champion.  How do you do that, particularly given that the cap will go up in future years and large contracts will come off?  All teams pay players today for what they did yesterday-there are always dead costs.  I think the Jets should push some costs to the future so that they can be entertaining next year while still building for a future champion.  But smart teams also do not rely on the draft to fill holes.  The Jets have positions on their roster that are overfilled, and others that are empty.

QB:  I think we need Fitzpatrick to be competitive for the next few years and help the other players develop.   I would offer him good guaranteed money via a signing bonus that extends longer than it should.  He can be a back up later at a fair salary.  The Jets need to continue to draft QBs-they will be low cost.  Geno can stay or go depending on who they draft.   So, the Fitz bill should be pushed out.

OL:  The Jets are paying too much for what they have, and in 2 years Mangold and Brick could be close to shot.  I think they need to force them to restructure or replace as necessary so that building block players may be signed.  They both need some restructuring to stay, Brick more than Mangold.   Paying a long term contract for a replacement, like Okung or Thomas, could work.  The Jets need to do a better job drafting these guys, particularly in the lower rounds.  Hopefully Winters continues to develop and Colon is not on the team in 2016.

WR:  Go with existing unit and draft long-term replacements aggressively.  Consider extending Marshall to save cap dollars.

TE:  Amaro, Sexton, draftees.

RB:  Offering Powell and Ivory reasonable salaries could work.  I would overpay for Powell before Ivory.   This obviously needs to be a draft focus, but you cannot go into the draft with a depleted position.  This position, like LBs, is unnecessarily depleted.  If Powell and Ivory were signed for fair money, that still leaves you a draft pick.  No Ridley.

DL:  These are the building blocks.  I would overstock this position for 2016, given that SR could be suspended.  I would try aggressively to resign Snacks and Mo but allow SR to move on in 2017 or trade him.  He is too much of a gamble to pay.  To do that, I would write Snacks and Mo longer-term contracts than otherwise would be expected so that cap costs are deferred.

LB:  Unfortunately, this is a position that is also unnecessarily  depleted.  The Jets need to sign at least 1 quality free agent.  Investing in someone good who can last awhile, like Trevathan, could be a good investment.

CB:  Cromartie is a short-term fix we can't afford.  Milliner, Williams and others need to cover that.   

S:  Develop Bailey, Martin, Myles.  Gilcrist could be a cap casualty in 2017.  The roster needs more of these players, given their use and their injury rate.

One position league. That's what the NFL is in 2016 and that is not changing. We can wax philosophical about how the Jets should approach building a roster, but the NFL starts and ends with one position and there is no 1B. There's not even a #2, really. Until we find a quarterback, the next 15 years will look exactly like the last 15. We can draft more d-lineman, more linebackers, more OL,  it won't matter. Until the Jets solve QB for the long term, we're in for what we've gotten used to: A few decent single-season runs, but an irregular franchise with no real shot at ever being in the mix consistently. It is unequivocally the only thing that matters. Draft one every year. Draft two every year. Draft three, draft seven, who gives a sh*t. This is a one position league, solve that with 100% of our resources. Solve it solve it solve it.

One position league. That's what the NFL is in 2016 and that is not changing. We can wax philosophical about how the Jets should approach building a roster, but the NFL starts and ends with one position and there is no 1B. There's not even a #2, really. Until we find a quarterback, the next 15 years will look exactly like the last 15. We can draft more d-lineman, more linebackers, more OL,  it won't matter. Until the Jets solve QB for the long term, we're in for what we've gotten used to: A few decent single-season runs, but an irregular franchise with no real shot at ever being in the mix consistently. It is unequivocally the only thing that matters. Draft one every year. Draft two every year. Draft three, draft seven, who gives a sh*t. This is a one position league, solve that with 100% of our resources. Solve it solve it solve it.

This, I think, shows the flaw in the NFL system. Hitting on one position requires a ton of luck. SO basically, winning a title in the NFL is down to luck

This, I think, shows the flaw in the NFL system. Hitting on one position requires a ton of luck. SO basically, winning a title in the NFL is down to luck

Not true . 

The Ravens won a SB with Dilfer who's not elite.

The Raiders got to the SB with Rich Gannon who's not elite

If you build a team, a game managing QB can get you to and win you a SB.

Mark Sanchez had the Jets within 1  game of the SB and he's what exactly ?

I agree, you need to try and fin d a QB who can take you to a SB.  Until that time, you build your team by taking the very best players each and every time and by utilizing your draft picks as best that helps your team . 

Gannon was most definitely an elite QB when the Raiders won. They don't sniff the SB without him.

Mark Sanchez held the Jets back, didn't lead them anywhere. 

RJF is right, this franchise is stuck in the mud without a QB. The good thing is that resigning Fitzpatrick at least favorably moves the margins for the Jets going into 2016. The bad thing is he might not be as good in 2016 as he was in 2015, and their window with him is short either way.

Gannon was most definitely an elite QB when the Raiders won. They don't sniff the SB without him.

RJF is right, this franchise is stuck in the mud without a QB. The good thing is that resigning Fitzpatrick at least favorably moves the margins for the Jets going into 2016. The bad thing is he might not be as good in 2016 as he was in 2015, and their window with him is short either way.

If this Jet defense could get off the field against Buffalo, Ryan Fitzpatrick leads them to the playoffs even with all his INTs. We will never know what would have been had that happen.  Is the Peyton that's leading the Broncos in the SB an elite QB  or is he a part of a solid team ?

Having Fitz, Marshall, Decker and whomever they choose to be the team's starting Rb stay healthy will determine if they have another good year next year. 2015 was a relitively injury-free season and the odds of them all remaining healthy are low. But if they do, Fitz will have another good year. This is a win now team.

If this Jet defense could get off the field against Buffalo, Ryan Fitzpatrick leads them to the playoffs even with all his INTs. We will never know what would have been had that happen.  Is the Peyton that's leading the Broncos in the SB an elite QB  or is he a part of a solid team ?

The Broncos are a superlatively good team around a former elite QB turned Dilfer-esque starter. A big part of why the D couldn't get off the field against Buffalo is Fitzpatrick's three INTs that day. 

Like I said - Fitzpatrick moves the margins for the Jets in a positive direction, but their window with him at QB is short. They desperately need to find a long term solution at the position - otherwise the Jets will remain the mediocre at best franchise they have always been.

The Broncos are a superlatively good team around a former elite QB turned Dilfer-esque starter. A big part of why the D couldn't get off the field against Buffalo is Fitzpatrick's three INTs that day. 

Like I said - Fitzpatrick moves the margins for the Jets in a positive direction, but their window with him at QB is short. They desperately need to find a long term solution at the position - otherwise the Jets will remain the mediocre at best franchise they have always been.

you mean the 3 4th quarter interceptions? 1 after a long drive in the endzone and the 2 that were thrown in garbage time?

you mean the 3 4th quarter interceptions? 1 after a long drive in the endzone and the 2 that were thrown in garbage time?

Does this make them better interceptions or something? Not closing a long drive, not even getting points out of it, is kind of a big deal. What garbage time was there in a 22-17 loss?

My primary point was what do the Jets do with their existing players?

I believe that they need to pick the BPAs in the draft, understanding that a QB with starter potential is very much a Best player.

I think the Jets generally need to cut players and contracts of players that have past their peak so that they can retain valuable players who can be the foundation for their future-primarily Harrison and Wilkerson.

But I also think that the Jets need to find a way to keep Fitzpatrick and Ivory around in 2016-17 so that they don't totally stink during those seasons.

If they don't sign one or more quality LBs and RBs, those positions will be unstaffed, and they will have to draft for need there, which is bad.

They will need to sign OL in FA if Brick and Mangold do not agree to reasonable salary cap cuts.  Its nice to say those salaries should be reduced, but if they end up cut there is no one on the roster to replace them.

This roster still needs alot of work.

Pray that Petty pans out. Regardless, I think we FINALLY have a GM that knows it's all about the QB. But, take a look around, no one's cutting their franchise QB ( i know that there are rumors about Brees but ill believe that when i see it) So, that leaves us to find that rare diamond in the rough that no other team was able to see. That's a high risk proposition for Macagdan to take for that'll cost draft picks. I think the most logical  plan of action to take is to re-sign Fitzy and hope he continues to reduce the interception at the worst possible time ratio. All in all he did a good job both as a productive QB and as a team leader. All the while, the team will continue to develop Petty behind the scenes with 0 expectations of him playing next year.There is no doubt that the kid has an NFL arm the question is will he have an NFL IQ?

As for a backup, I think that Geno's days are numbered. Woody practically threw him under the bus over the weekend and cutting him would save around  a million bucks. I'm sure that there's a viable journeyman QB out there who'd be more than capable  to be this team's  #2. All the while, keep drafting QB's, I'm sure that Mike Macagdan has his scouting dept on scouring the country for a QB or two.

Does this make them better interceptions or something? Not closing a long drive, not even getting points out of it, is kind of a big deal. What garbage time was there in a 22-17 loss?

no it doesnt make them better interceptions, but it debumks your theory that fitzpatricks interceptions were part of the reason the jets defense couldnt get off the field 

no it doesnt make them better interceptions, but it debumks your theory that fitzpatricks interceptions were part of the reason the jets defense couldnt get off the field 

No, it doesn't. Turning over the ball 3 times, once in the red zone, does nothing to debunk anything said. We still have to address this garbage time nonsense too - when was garbage time in this 22-17 game?

Nothing about the OP plan is long term.

Aggressively sign Snacks AND MO ?? NO

Sign Fitz for 2-3 morw years? NO

We need to build through the draft, second tier FAs and compensatory picks. 

No more big ticket Free agents.

If Fitz wants to play for $5M as the backup/mentor fine. If he wants starter money hit the bricks.

Unload all the veterans. 

Trade MO for a first or second. Say good bye to Cro, Brick, Demario Davis, all the RBs except Bilal if he comes cheap

Trade up for a QB if you feel he is a franchise guy

If not select a couple and let them compete

Prioritize speed and youth much more going forward than this team has been in the past

Accept short term suckiness for long term success

We are not a "win now" team. We have NO chance to win next year. Become a win for 6 years or more team.

No, it doesn't. Turning over the ball 3 times, once in the red zone, does nothing to debunk anything said. We still have to address this garbage time nonsense too - when was garbage time in this 22-17 game?

well, if the game is 4 full quarters and fitzpatrick didnt throw a pick untill the 4th quarter, that leaves 3 full quarters where A. fitpatrick didnt throw an interception & B. the defense couldnt get off the field. that right there proves your theory 3/4 wrong. onto the interceptions. the 1st interception didnt cost the defense. within a play or 2, the jets would either score or loss the ball. either way the defense was getting back on the field. the last 2 interceptions were in the last few minutes of the game. tell me again how fitzpatricks interceptions were the cause of the defense not being able to get off the field?

as far as garbage time, yea, you got me there. it wasnt garbage time. meant to say something else besides garbage time

now if you said fitzpatricks inability to sustain drives made the defense not get off the field, well, you might have something there. atleast some kinda angle. but you didnt. you have way too many posts for me to have to keep helping you out with this kinda stuffB)

well, if the game is 4 full quarters and fitzpatrick didnt throw a pick untill the 4th quarter, that leaves 3 full quarters where A. fitpatrick didnt throw an interception & B. the defense couldnt get off the field. that right there proves your theory 3/4 wrong. onto the interceptions. the 1st interception didnt cost the defense. within a play or 2, the jets would either score or loss the ball. either way the defense was getting back on the field. the last 2 interceptions were in the last few minutes of the game. tell me again how fitzpatricks interceptions were the cause of the defense not being able to get off the field?

as far as garbage time, yea, you got me there. it wasnt garbage time. meant to say something else besides garbage time

now if you said fitzpatricks inability to sustain drives made the defense not get off the field, well, you might have something there. atleast some kinda angle. but you didnt. you have way too many posts for me to have to keep helping you out with this kinda stuffB)

I'm not going to bother reading this whole thing. First because it's pretty flooring that you're trying to argue that 3 INTs somehow didn't hurt the team or the defense. Second because "meant to say something else besides garbage time" isn't really an excuse to dismiss 3 INTs.

You're a little emotional right now. I get it - we've been going back and forth all afternoon. It doesn't have to be a whole thing where it crosses over into other threads and new topics with some kind of "got ya" game. The D slipped, understandably so after losing their best player, but that game falls on the offense.

I'm not going to bother reading this whole thing. First because it's pretty flooring that you're trying to argue that 3 INTs somehow didn't hurt the team or the defense. Second because "meant to say something else besides garbage time" isn't really an excuse to dismiss 3 INTs.

You're a little emotional right now. I get it - we've been going back and forth all afternoon. It doesn't have to be a whole thing where it crosses over into other threads and new topics with some kind of "got ya" game. The D slipped, understandably so after losing their best player, but that game falls on the offense.

its a good thing that you didnt read it. because it proves you wrong. i get it. dont read it. cant be proven wrong. strategy and all

emotional? i have been laughing my azz off for some time now reading your posts. i think i pissed myself about 4 posts ago

its a good thing that you didnt read it. because it proves you wrong. i get it. dont read it. cant be proven wrong. strategy and all

emotional? i have been laughing my azz off for some time now reading your posts. i think i pissed myself about 4 posts ago

There's that nonsense logic of yours again.

Laughter is an effect from feeling something aka getting emotional. You shouldn't be bragging about your incontinence.

There is plenty of blame to go around for the Buff loss from the HC down. Fitz failing in his 4th quarter comeback attempts were part ... Our team's performance in general before that had many other players and coaches who were equally part of the problem before he joined then.

senorgato, hats off you sly dog. i am sitting here laughing my azz off when my wife asks me what i am laughing about. i tell her a guy on the board is saying some silly sh*t and i think he is drunk. she tells me to hand her the laptop. she says "you dumbass, your being trolled". man, i gotta tell ya i had no idea. i thought it was funny that nobody else had anything to say.lol. you got me.well played.well played

senorgato, hats off you sly dog. i am sitting here laughing my azz off when my wife asks me what i am laughing about. i tell her a guy on the board is saying some silly sh*t and i think he is drunk. she tells me to hand her the laptop. she says "you dumbass, your being trolled". man, i gotta tell ya i had no idea. i thought it was funny that nobody else had anything to say.lol. you got me.well played.well played

Yeah, you already said that. I'm going to feel really bad if the reason you're so bad at arguing is age-related memory loss and general decline...It'd explain the inability to keep up a narrative, the irrational and futile anger...

Not true . 

The Ravens won a SB with Dilfer who's not elite.

The Raiders got to the SB with Rich Gannon who's not elite

Mark Sanchez had the Jets within 1  game of the SB and he's what exactly ?

I think you just proved the point.  One bad QB wins a Super Bowl, and one decent QB took his team, but did not win, a Super Bowl.  Then there is Sanchize who got CLOSE to one.  Meanwhile, there has been 50 Super Bowls, with about 1/5 of them won between about three elite QB's.....

Nothing about the OP plan is long term.

Aggressively sign Snacks AND MO ?? NO

Sign Fitz for 2-3 morw years? NO

We need to build through the draft, second tier FAs and compensatory picks. 

No more big ticket Free agents.

If Fitz wants to play for $5M as the backup/mentor fine. If he wants starter money hit the bricks.

Unload all the veterans. 

Trade MO for a first or second. Say good bye to Cro, Brick, Demario Davis, all the RBs except Bilal if he comes cheap

Trade up for a QB if you feel he is a franchise guy

If not select a couple and let them compete

Prioritize speed and youth much more going forward than this team has been in the past

Accept short term suckiness for long term success

We are not a "win now" team. We have NO chance to win next year. Become a win for 6 years or more team.

There are "Zero" absolute LOCK franchize QB's in this draft.

Get your pass rusher and OT in the 1st 2 rds. get your RB and receiver in 3rd and 4th, Get your ST players stars with last 2 picks and hit

UDFA aggressively. Sign Fitz and continue to develop Petty.

Archived