Elliot or Jaylon Smith.

thecitylimits

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Rams sure are kicking themselves they didn't wait until Round 2 for Gurley. You know better than this.

Gurley's injury was only an ACL and he was ready for Week 5 or so of his rookie year. Smith is an ACL and LCL and could miss the entire rookie season

2 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

The mere suggestion of Jaylon Smith is wrong. Jaylon Smith is more of a 4-3 linebacker, he doesn't fit what Todd Bowles wants to do defensively. Not to mention he has an injury history. PASS.

lol, what does bowles want to do?  Get big slowwwwww thumpers as inside backers when those guys have just killed us the past few years?  The guy has speed and is a play maker, now the injury is a big problem but the jets need play makers and speed.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

lol, what does bowles want to do?  Get big slowwwwww thumpers as inside backers when those guys have just killed us the past few years?  The guy has speed and is a play maker, now the injury is a big problem but the jets need play makers and speed.

Well, you said it yourself. An injury history and a guy that does not fit the Jets defensive scheme. There should be much better options, more PROVEN options, through the draft or through free agency. I don't want another Dee Milliner hanging around, do you?

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The guy has speed and is a play maker, now the injury is a big problem but the jets need play makers and speed.

That's why I think either Ragland, Wright, or Calhoun would be a better choice.  Destroying your knee at his age, and his off-field issues, just do not seem like it would be worth the risk.

He falls to the 3rd round, different story all-together.  But not worth the 1st round tag.

40 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, you said it yourself. An injury history and a guy that does not fit the Jets defensive scheme. There should be much better options, more PROVEN options, through the draft or through free agency. I don't want another Dee Milliner hanging around, do you?

I don't want another demairo davis with no instincts or david harris who is a slow over paid interior lb only or a bryan thomas or a calbin pace as slow hold the edge type of guys, do you?

43 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

That's why I think either Ragland, Wright, or Calhoun would be a better choice.  Destroying your knee at his age, and his off-field issues, just do not seem like it would be worth the risk.

He falls to the 3rd round, different story all-together.  But not worth the 1st round tag.

Wait. What?

44 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

You couldn't be more wrong about everything. Except for the freak knee injury on non-contact, Jaylon Smith has no injury history. There is no better OLB in this draft based on talent.

Also, this:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jaylon-smith?id=2555310

Bottom Line

In this day and age of "tweeners" being labeled "hybrid" players, Smith is the rare commodity who is truly hybrid in the sense that he has the athleticism, speed and physical makeup to play any linebacker spot in either the 3­-4 or the 4-­3. Smith was productive but slightly miscast in the middle of the Notre Dame defense and is better suited to play in space as a 4­-3 outside linebacker. However, his length and upfield burst could draw the attention of a 3-­4 team looking to transition him into a rush linebacker while utilizing his rare cover skills.

9 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Possible :) I only know what I have read and what I saw in his short playing time in the Fiesta bowl

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2082844/jaylon-smith

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jaylon-smith?id=2555310

I agree that the Jets need speed and and better coverage from our linebackers. I just think Zeke is plug and play where Smith is more of a project (especially with the injury) it is just my opinion and I am not an expert.  If you have better information on Smith I would like to hear/read all about it since I agree Smith could be a very good fit in Bowles defense.

I did watch every game Zeke played at OSU and I think he will be a franchise running back.

as for the comparison you are correct that Vern and Smith played different positions in college but they were/are both projected to OLB in the NFL, and my concern is the long list of projected OLB's that could not make the transition to the NFL 

H-O-M-E-R!  =  Ohio State NY Jets fan. LOL!

I get it..... we all like our guys.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh dear god. Borderline HOF? Stop. Also, there's no reason to take a running back in the first round. None. 

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/02/03/edgerrin-james-indianapolis-colts-hall-of-fame/79688286/

Plus Derrick Johnson is a MLB, if we are to make comparisons. We need a pass rusher. Now should Lawson or Floyd fall to us, that is a different kettle of fish

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/02/03/edgerrin-james-indianapolis-colts-hall-of-fame/79688286/

Plus Derrick Johnson is a MLB, if we are to make comparisons. We need a pass rusher. Now should Lawson fall to us, that is a different kettle of fish

The Jets need linebackers period. Smith can play multiple positions. It's a much bigger need than running back, which is overvalued and not as important on offense in the NFL today. 

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Jets need linebackers period. Smith can play multiple positions. It's a much bigger need than running back, which is overvalued and not as important on offense in the NFL today. 

He's not even guaranteed to play this year. We saw how playing time hurts development  (Devin Smith)

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He's not even guaranteed to play this year. We saw how playing time hurts development  (Devin Smith)

Devin Smith is a WR. Learning an NFL offense is far more complicated than learning an NFL defense. Also, Devin Smith was never a top 5 talent. If a guy as good as Jaylon even makes it to 20, and he won't, then you sprint up there and grab him without thinking twice. 

34 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

H-O-M-E-R!  =  Ohio State NY Jets fan. LOL!

I get it..... we all like our guys.

LOL - Mangold is the only player to make the transition between teams so far so I have to be careful but I do watch on Saturday so have better insight then just reading the draft profiles

if the choice from ND was Ronnie Stanley, my answer would be different :)

? If jaylon is going to make a full recovery and  doctor's say he'll be good as new a la Todd Gurley then Smith is the pick.  In fact I'd go as far to say if that's the prognosis, Mac should make like Rich Eisen and do his best 40 yard dash to the podium.  Healthy Jaylon Smith transforms this defense, even more than resigning Mo or Snacks!

23 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

LOL - Mangold is the only player to make the transition between teams so far so I have to be careful but I do watch on Saturday so have better insight then just reading the draft profiles

if the choice from ND was Ronnie Stanley, my answer would be different :)

My Dad went to ND and I've been a fan for over 40 years. I've got some skin in the game as well when I tout Jaylen. LOL.

Agree about Stanley. If we got him you could cut D'Brick immediately. So polished.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

NFL.com compares Jaylon Smithto Derrick Johnson and Elliot to Edgerin James. Which one of those players would you rather have?

That's a tough one. That comparison doesn't really make the decision any easier.

Both of those guys had very similar careers

32 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

That's a tough one. That comparison doesn't really make the decision any easier.

Both of those guys had very similar careers

How can you say that when one played offense and the other defense. One was a crafty back who was an all-aroung very good RB and the other a disruptive, get after the QB force. I'll take the premium position in the Derrick Thomas Jaylon Smith comparison.

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

How can you say that when one played offense and the other defense. One was a crafty back who was an all-aroung very good RB and the other a disruptive, get after the QB force. I'll take the premium position in the Derrick Thomas Jaylon Smith comparison.

Derrick Johnson, not Derrick Thomas. There are no more Derrick Thomases.

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I don't want another demairo davis with no instincts or david harris who is a slow over paid interior lb only or a bryan thomas or a calbin pace as slow hold the edge type of guys, do you?

You're going a little overboard don't you think? David Harris I want on this team for as long as he wants to stay. Demario Davis does not fit Bowles schemes, hence the need for a linebacker. But going placing all of your eggs in one basket on a rookie coming off a major knee injury that isn't the best fit for Bowles scheme anyway? That's crazy. As I said, there are much better, more proven options likely in free agency.

On February 5, 2016 at 7:47 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Oh, I though you originally said Derrick Johnson. Him and Edgerrin had similar careers.

Now if you are saying Derrick Thomas, then yes I would go with him.

I would hope the new FO is smart enough to pass on RB's early - Its a total waste....

Regarding Jaylon Smith it would be an absolutely amazing pick. The Jets are not a top 7-8 team. We need to think long term and having those type of LB's can change the defense a ton. Playing a 3-4 defense with the worst LB's in the NFL makes no sense. 

Archived