Report: Colin Kaepernick does not want to play for Jets

Warfish

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-colin-kaepernick-does-not-want-to-play-for-jets/ar-BBp5br8?ocid=ansmsnsports11

A story broke Tuesday night that Colin Kaepernick wants to get out of San Francisco to play for the New York Jets. But it is just not true, per Dom Costentino of NJ.com.

The original story originated from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News as an exclusive report, though nobody else has been able to confirm Mehta’s source. It did seem to come out of left field, and there are some serious holes in the argument that the Jets would be Kaepernick’s “preferred destination.”

Costentino’s source, who is “a person familiar with the situation” (likely someone in Kaepernick’s camp), says the report is not true: “No,” the person said. “Nothing. No idea where it came from. Random, strange article.”

As pointed out by Costentino and many others, the Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick are both on the same page about wanting the veteran back as the starter in 2016, and there is nothing standing in the way of him re-signing with the team. He led a darn good offense last season and nearly got the Jets into the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Kaepernick was on the bench in favor of Blaine Gabbert.

With that in mind it seems completely unlikely that New York would be interested in bringing Kaepernick aboard, or that the 49ers quarterback would see New York as an attractive destination.

Furthermore, to this point nobody knows how Kaepernick might fit within Chip Kelly’s plans for his offense in San Francisco. However, many, including some opposing defensive coaches, believe the quarterback would be a nightmare to defend as a read-option quarterback for the 49ers.

Kaepernick torched opposing defenses in such an offense at the University of Nevada, and Kelly has long been rumored to be enamored with him for this reason. A quarterback who can run like Kap and throw it anywhere on the field could be one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL, if put in a position to succeed.

Despite any hard feelings Kaepernick might have about how things went down the past couple of seasons, his best chance to succeed in the NFL right now still lies with the 49ers and Kelly.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean Mehta pulled a Jayson Blair and made up a story? What a shocker...

i also want want to add that Kap went into the crapper after the Super Bowl loss to the Ravens mainly because opposing teams figured him out. 

Jetnation, let's return to reality, no matter how depressing it is.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that no quarterback with an iota of dignity and/or talent will ever willingly play for the Jets franchise. 

Kaepersh*t has no talent. Not someone we need. 

You guys are nuts.  Who are we putting out there next season?  Fitz?  Geno?  Petty?  All those guys have one thing in common: They have not played in one playoff game.

Yeah, I know Kap went into the tank after his Super Bowl performance.  But IMO he has all the tools to be a monster QB.  Maybe the tools in SF caused Kap to regress.  But I would give him a shot to be our QB in a heart beat.  If he bombs?  Fine, we're going nowhere with the QBs we have on the roster anyway.  But the upside is enormous.

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

You guys are nuts.  Who are we putting out there next season?  Fitz?  Geno?  Petty?  All those guys have one thing in common: They have not played in one playoff game.

Mark Sanchez has played in 6 postseason games.  Let's bring that guy back.

Are you advocating trading draft picks and allocating cap space we don't have to Kaep?  Because that's the only way this happens.  The 49ers will either trade him, wait to cut him on May 31, or keep him.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Mark Sanchez has played in 6 postseason games.  Let's bring that guy back.

Not in my dwindling lifetime.  Go back and watch Kap play in SF's SB year.  You just don't fake talent like that.  Again, I'll take a chance that our coaching and scheme can rediscover it.  Because if it works?  We've got our guy for the next 10 years. If not? We lose some cap money.  I can live with that.

21 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Not in my dwindling lifetime.  Go back and watch Kap play in SF's SB year.  You just don't fake talent like that.  Again, I'll take a chance that our coaching and scheme can rediscover it.  Because if it works?  We've got our guy for the next 10 years. If not? We lose some cap money.  I can live with that.

"Lose some cap money"?  I believe if we make a trade for him, our cap number would be somewhere around $9M of the near $16M he carries, with San Fran footing the bill for the rest.   That's a huge chunk for a team that currently only has a little over $10M in cap space and needs to figure out what to do with Wilkerson, Snacks, Ivory, Powell, Demario Davis and others. 

I expect a deal with Fitzpatrick would be more backloaded to save money this year, and there'd be no way Kaep would agree to renegotiate his deal on arrival.  Meanwhile, Kaep has been regressing the last 3 years whereas Fitzpatrick has been improving. 

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Lose some cap money"?  I believe if we make a trade for him, our cap number would be somewhere around $9M of the near $16M he carries, with San Fran footing the bill for the rest.   That's a huge chunk for a team that currently only has a little over $10M in cap space and needs to figure out what to do with Wilkerson, Snacks, Ivory, Powell, Demario Davis and others. 

I expect a deal with Fitzpatrick would be more backloaded to save money this year, and there'd be no way Kaep would agree to renegotiate his deal on arrival.  Meanwhile, Kaep has been regressing the last 3 years whereas Fitzpatrick has been improving. 

We can disagree on this one, JF.  IMO, you saw this season the best Fitz will ever be as our QB.  Again, IMO, a chance to sign--potentially--a great QB is worth that money.  We've bombed in signing tons of bums in the past for staggering amounts of wasted cash.  Maybe our luck has changed with Mcc and Bowles.  Point is moot anyway.  Kai's not coming here.

21 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

We can disagree on this one, JF.  IMO, you saw this season the best Fitz will ever be as our QB.  Again, IMO, a chance to sign--potentially--a great QB is worth that money.  We've bombed in signing tons of bums in the past for staggering amounts of wasted cash.  Maybe our luck has changed with Mcc and Bowles.  Point is moot anyway.  Kai's not coming here.

Kaep isn't "potentially great".  There's an argument to be made that we've already seen the best out of him once Harbaugh left.  Maybe Chip will get him to return to glory.  But I doubt it.  The NFL figured him out fairly quickly.  Fitz is a far safer option with a high floor.  I get that people want an "upside QB", but that's what the draft is for. 

22 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Except Kaep isn't a potentially great QB. He's a gimmick player that everyone has figured out how to stop.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Kaep isn't "potentially great".  There's an argument to be made that we've already seen the best out of him once Harbaugh left.  Maybe Chip will get him to return to glory.  But I doubt it.  The NFL figured him out fairly quickly.  Fitz is a far safer option with a high floor.  I get that people want an "upside QB", but that's what the draft is for. 

9 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Except Kaep isn't a potentially great QB. He's a gimmick player that everyone has figured out how to stop.

Sorry, I just don't agree.  Again, you guys might be right.  But if I'm making the decision?  I sign Kap and hope with coaching and scheme that we not only strike gold, but hit the mother-lode.  I still can't believe so many guys think Fitz has more to give.  I don't.

Archived