Joe Namath endorses Peyton Manning for Jets QB

joewilly12

Jets legend Joe Namath—still the only quarterback in team history to win a Super Bowl—thinks Ryan Fitzpatrick did a fine job last season. 

But if Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning were to become available after this season—a big if, considering Manning will be 40 in March, is physically breaking down, and has hinted strongly at retirement—Namath thinks the Jets ought to take a run at him.

"If he's physically fit and the Broncos don't want him, I'd give him a good look right out there in New York Jet territory," Namath said at the Super Bowl in San Francisco on Friday, according to both the New York Post and Newsday.

"How about that? Would you take him on the Jet team if he's healthy? There's a few other teams out there that might take him if he's healthy."

Win or lose against the Panthers in Sunday's Super Bowl 50, Manning is probably going to retire. But if he doesn't—and if the Broncos for some reason let him leave if he doesn't—it's difficult to imagine the Jets taking him in.

"I think the Broncos would want him under any circumstances if he's physically fit," Namath acknowledged, per the Post.

Besides, the Jets are set on Fitzpatrick, at least in the short-term. He quarterbacked the Jets to 10 wins in 2015 but still has plenty of doubters about his long-term viability as a starter. He's due to become an unrestricted free agent next month, but the Jets are expected to work out a deal to keep him before that can happen.

Newsday and the Post also quoted Namath as saying Fitzpatrick had "a good season," but that he "needs to improve his accuracy throwing the ball."

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not a big Peyton Manning fan myself but a hired gun for 1 year to get us to the Super Bowl. 

100x better option than Fitzpatrick plus Petty and a drafted rookie QB learn from Manning. 

You haven't watched any Broncos games have you? He's awful now. No zip on his passes. He's lucky Osweiler hasn't completely supplanted him. Watch him carefully tomorrow. You'll see. It's not worth it. 

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You haven't watched any Broncos games have you? He's awful now. No zip on his passes. He's lucky Osweiler hasn't completely supplanted him. Watch him carefully tomorrow. You'll see. It's not worth it. 

Peyton Manning is in the Super Bowl Ryan Fitzpatrick is home with his family the Jets are a far better team than Denver and should be in the Super Bowl the reason we aren't is because of our QB. 

19 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

CrazyCarl40 enjoy another Super Bowl Sunday without the Jets our team in it. 

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Peyton Manning is in the Super Bowl Ryan Fitzpatrick is home with his family the Jets are a far better team than Denver and should be in the Super Bowl the reason we aren't is because of our QB. 

This isn't boxing it's a team sport,  Brady is home with Gisele also.  Right now I would rather have Fitzpatrick than Manning as our QB. 

44 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

This isn't boxing it's a team sport,  Brady is home with Gisele also.  Right now I would rather have Fitzpatrick than Manning as our QB. 

I know its a sport that ends in February winning the Lombardi and Fitzpatrick has never even sniffed a playoff game, 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I know its a sport that ends in February winning the Lombardi and Fitzpatrick has never even sniffed a playoff game, 

Haha...well, I would say the Broncos sorta picked up Manning and carried him limping and dragging into the Super Bowl in a year where he had numerous pick sixes and poor games. That's what happens when you have a stud defense, special teams, and running game that shows up in big games. The Jets chose to leave it all in the hands of Fitzpatrick at the end of the season, cause Lord knows no one showed up to play in Buffalo,  and they are all sitting home watching the Super Bowl.

3 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Didn't we TRY this once before when Brett Favre was available and I could foresee similar results = no playoffs and a QB with a dead arm by Thanksgiving

Except our QB would have a dead arm by week 1...........of preseason.

22 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Better odds of me getting a threesome with Jennifer Love Hewitt and Elisha Cuthbert tonight than Manning ever becoming a Jet

For those who don't know who those girls are......Oh who am I kidding.  We all know who they are.  Gratuitous photo time though:

Elisha-elisha-cuthbert-1412360-500-375.j

4B3KZ.jpg

Archived