The Patriots through the eyes of a group of 6 year olds

Bergen Jet

I can't stand when people talk about the Patriots cheating, always point out that talking about it has long jumped the shark.  The Patriots have an all-time great coach and obviously one of the top 3 or 4 QBs who have ever played the game.  That said... I just had my 6 year old ask me the following question as we talked about tomorrow's game:

"Daddy, is it true that the Patriots cheat all the time?"

Let me preface this by saying that he knows of my disdain for the Patriots and Dolphins, but I never discussed the idea of cheating in sports with him in any fashion.

I asked him why he was asking me that and he quickly responded that "all the kids in school talk about how the Patriots cheat all the time." 

Now...  I moved out of the metro NY area in 2007 to Greensboro, NC.  This is what 6 year olds in the 1st grade in a charter school in the middle of North Carolina talk about.  Children who are mostly Panther fans.  For the first time I realized that this subject was not something that was simply being beaten to death by Jets fans who obviously hate the Patriots, but rather something that football fans around the league truly feel to be true.  So much so that their 6 year olds who barely know a thing about football are discussing it in the week leading up to the Super Bowl.

10 hours ago, RoadFan said:

The Panthers were cheated out of a Super Bowl at the height of their video spying.   So yeah. ..it makes sense that the fathers of those 6 year olds may have mentioned it in their presence once or twice... or a hundred times.

Absolutely.  This was more directed at the Pats fans who think that only jealous Jets fans think the Pats cheat...

I've said this time and again that teams rep is going to be for cheating raher than winning until the end of days,  30 years from now when people are discussing the great teams of the past the niners and cowboys, pittsburgh years, the jets glory dynasty years from 2020 to 2030 they will always talk about the pats cheating not winning.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've said this time and again that teams rep is going to be for cheating raher than winning until the end of days,  30 years from now when people are discussing the great teams of the past the niners and cowboys, pittsburgh years, the jets glory dynasty years from 2020 to 2030 they will always talk about the pats cheating not winning.

2020-2030 hoping they do it a lot sooner than that. 

16 hours ago, Bergen Jet said:

I can't stand when people talk about the Patriots cheating, always point out that talking about it has long jumped the shark.  The Patriots have an all-time great coach and obviously one of the top 3 or 4 QBs who have ever played the game.  That said... I just had my 6 year old ask me the following question as we talked about tomorrow's game:

Let me preface this by saying that he knows of my disdain for the Patriots and Dolphins, but I never discussed the idea of cheating in sports with him in any fashion.

I asked him why he was asking me that and he quickly responded that "all the kids in school talk about how the Patriots cheat all the time." 

Now...  I moved out of the metro NY area in 2007 to Greensboro, NC.  This is what 6 year olds in the 1st grade in a charter school in the middle of North Carolina talk about.  Children who are mostly Panther fans.  For the first time I realized that this subject was not something that was simply being beaten to death by Jets fans who obviously hate the Patriots, but rather something that football fans around the league truly feel to be true.  So much so that their 6 year olds who barely know a thing about football are discussing it in the week leading up to the Super Bowl.

Yes or not when they are sleeping seem to be the only two possible answers.

16 hours ago, Bergen Jet said:

i had a very similiar experience with my youngest son. he reached the age where he started to garner an interest in football. i have never really talked about footballl with him, especially not about the patriots. but i did notice he had an admiration for tom brady, but never said anything to him that i did not. this took place right around deflate gate.so we went outside to throw the football around. he threw a really nice spiral and i made the comment "boy, you looked like joe willy with that throw". he then asks me who joe willly was. i proceed to explain to him who joe namath was and how inportant he was to the nfl and the jets. i tell him joe namath was to the jets as tom brady is to the pats. he stops, looks me in the eye and says " so joe namath was a cheater, too?"

Archived