Who Here Is Still Sticking To Their Guns

SoFlaJets

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

All the more reason to take them out.  He only shoots them when they become destructive on his property otherwise he leaves them alone. 

He doesn't have to shoot them unless he enjoys it, but it seems to be more time consuming, IMO.

There's a squirrel repellent called Animal B Gon that's human/pet/plant-safe 100% natural that smells like peppermint. Works great.

I had a problem with squirrels on some expensive (shipped from Hilo) Hawaiian tree ferns that are very slow growers, produce only 6-10 fronds per year.

Squirrels climb to the top and nibble the pups in the crown just enough to kill them. If done repeatedly it kills the rhizome and the tree.

There's nothing in it for a squirrel, they're just curious enough to test bite it especially if they see you give a certain plant or tree special attention. They have to explore everything.

That product worked year round after mesh cages and everything else failed.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

If anyone is this much of a baby they shouldn't admit to it.

Not watching the SB doesnt put my team in it.  Letting the Pats piss me off so much that it makes me stop watching a game I love makes no sense.  Sounding like a spoiled brat, I'm not watching unless my team is in fan says I'm a bandwagon Jet fan, not a football fan.

It has nothing to do with being a baby and more about simply not caring-like that thread that was cited (by some guy who has way too much time on his hand) I really have come to the realization that I have outgrown and yes, maybe even begun to HATE a game that I once loved. 

8 hours ago, jetrider said:

Squirrels are cool. How are they a problem? I hand feed them raw walnuts and pecans.  

JoeWilly speaks the truth Jetrider. They can become an absolute menace. I love to feed the birds. I have a few bird feeders and Suet feeders. The squirrels do so much damage even after I put up a baffle. They are astonishing jumpers. They jump from my deck about 10 feet and land above the baffle. It became so bad that I decided shooting them was the only way. I bought a Benjamin Trail .22 single shot air rifle. Oh, considering the job done. That pellet travels at about 1,100 FPS. It goes through squirrels and just keeps on going.

But back on point, I would be very cautious about feeding squirrels. If they get into your house, you have no idea the kind of damage they will do. Just a friendly warning... 

7 hours ago, New York Mick said:

If you're planning on killing the coyotes  humanely I'd go with a larger scopes bolt action like a 22-250 or 222. For coons or squirrels a 22 lever is prefect. 

I've killed several with a .22 magnum. It works great. They don't even get 10 feet before they collapse.

31 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

I've killed several with a .22 magnum. It works great. They don't even get 10 feet before they collapse.

I know a lot of people who hunts coyotes and even hogs with a 22 I just prefer to use larger calibers. 3030 or bigger on hogs and 22-250/222 on coyotes, less chance of of a wounded animal. 

Have you had a chance to hunt moose up there?

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

JoeWilly speaks the truth Jetrider. They can become an absolute menace. I love to feed the birds. I have a few bird feeders and Suet feeders. The squirrels do so much damage even after I put up a baffle. They are astonishing jumpers. They jump from my deck about 10 feet and land above the baffle. It became so bad that I decided shooting them was the only way. I bought a Benjamin Trail .22 single shot air rifle. Oh, considering the job done. That pellet travels at about 1,100 FPS. It goes through squirrels and just keeps on going.

But back on point, I would be very cautious about feeding squirrels. If they get into your house, you have no idea the kind of damage they will do. Just a friendly warning... 

I know all about squirrels, had them for years. I was just curious what problems JW was referring to. You're in for more trouble with your bird feeders than you realize.  

9 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I know a lot of people who hunts coyotes and even hogs with a 22 I just prefer to use larger calibers. 3030 or bigger on hogs and 22-250/222 on coyotes, less chance of of a wounded animal. 

Have you had a chance to hunt moose up there?

Yeah, I shot an 850 pound Field dressed Moose in 2000. Actually I'm quite jealous of you. Hog hunting is something I have always wanted to do. They're some mean hombres.

This Super Bowl gave me hope.  These were the top 2 defenses going at it.  The winner gained less than 200 yards of total offense and still won by double digits.

Why CAN'T we do the same with Ryan Fitzpatrick/hand-picked QB of Macc/Bowles?  Why not us?  We have a pretty damn good defense.  We have a pretty damn good running game.  We have a pretty good QB.  Peyton is about to retire and Tom Brady SHOULD retire before he faces the Broncos next season before he gets killed out there. 

We're a contender.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This Super Bowl gave me hope.  These were the top 2 defenses going at it.  The winner gained less than 200 yards of total offense and still won by double digits.

Why CAN'T we do the same with Ryan Fitzpatrick/hand-picked QB of Macc/Bowles?  Why not us?  We have a pretty damn good defense.  We have a pretty damn good running game.  We have a pretty good QB.  Peyton is about to retire and Tom Brady SHOULD retire before he faces the Broncos next season before he gets killed out there. 

We're a contender.

Yesterday was all about QB pressure.

Jets couldn't stop Tyrod Who? Taylor.

12 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Yesterday was all about QB pressure.

Jets couldn't stop Tyrod Who? Taylor.

Yes, but putting it all on one game is misguided.  By and large our defense was very good this past season.  We're only a few pieces away from a pretty dominant D.  Add an athletic LB or 2 to pair with Mauldin, and figure out a way to keep Wilkerson, and we can be pretty awesome.  It's very possible to only be "1 offseason away" on D.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, but putting it all on one game is misguided.  By and large our defense was very good this past season.  We're only a few pieces away from a pretty dominant D.  Add an athletic LB or 2 to pair with Mauldin, and figure out a way to keep Wilkerson, and we can be pretty awesome.  It's very possible to only be "1 offseason away" on D.

Week 17 was a carbon copy of Week 10 but let's forget about last season. I agree we're a few tweaks away from a complete D.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Bird feeders are dirty and disgusting they attract birds that sh*t all over and mice along with squirrels,my neighbors feed birds and it pisses me off. 

You haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about. I've been feeding the birds all my life and there's no mice anywhere to be found. I shoot the occasional pain in the A$$ squirrel. I clean the bird feeders maybe once a year? So try again...

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Come down, it's always open season. 

Yeah, but you still need to find areas for open hunting. You have to know the lay of the land, it's not as simple as showing up and shooting one. I have no idea where to go to have the best chances at getting a hog. I would need lodging, I would need to know a butcher locally that can package it for me because I don't on letting ti go to waste. I will need massive cooler space because I would travelling back to Maine from Florida.

So you see it isn't as easy as you make it sound. There's a LOT more to it.

9 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

You haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about. I've been feeding the birds all my life and there's no mice anywhere to be found. I shoot the occasional pain in the A$$ squirrel. I clean the bird feeders maybe once a year? So try again...

Birds drop food under the feeders I live near woods and field mice come to eat the food. Birds are dirty they sh*t on everything around and near the feeders, 

dead-squirrels.jpg?w=420&h=316

On 2/7/2016 at 8:20 AM, SoFlaJets said:

And NOT watching any more games until the Jets play again in August? Have any of you NOT watched even one down of post season football (if it could be helped that is). Granted, sometimes we end up in places that the game is on and it can't be helped but that doesn't count-you have to be in front of a TV with a box and change the channel to one that a game is being played. I've been in rooms that I'm playing a gig in and a TV is on and the game is too-not my fault. Who plans on watching something other that the game tonight?

I used to pride myself in being able to say that I have watched every Super Bowl Game live as it was happening but that changed on the night of Buffalo's 4th SB loss and the Patriots have made me do the same-which is  find something else to do on the 1st Sunday in February. I am ON STRIKE!

I must have missed your latest woe is me jets fan drama queen rant moment.  Why are you on strike? 

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Birds drop food under the feeders I live near woods and field mice come to eat the food. Birds are dirty they sh*t on everything around and near the feeders, 

dead-squirrels.jpg?w=420&h=316

And who gives a f*ck about the mice so long as they aren't in your house? You are aware that mice live in the woods right? So then coming to the bird feeders for any seed that's been dropped is a pretty common thing. Maybe if you have such a problem with mice, maybe you shouldn't shoot the squirrels because rest assured they will take all of bird seed left on the ground. I, personally, do not shoot the squirrels that are merely eating seed off the ground. That's fine as far as I am concerned.

Birds are not dirty. I handle my bird feeders just about everyday, as I have to refill them and I do not have any of the problems. Not one. And as I said, I have been feeding the birds for about 25 years now.

It also sounds like your neighbor is shooting the squirrels just for the sake of shooting them. If he got steel cans he wouldn't have any worries about squirrels chewing on them. If he got a squirrel resistant pool cover he would have to worry about squirrels bothering them again. 

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

And who gives a f*ck about the mice so long as they aren't in your house? You are aware that mice live in the woods right? So then coming to the bird feeders for any seed that's been dropped is a pretty common thing. Maybe if you have such a problem with mice, maybe you shouldn't shoot the squirrels because rest assured they will take all of bird seed left on the ground. I, personally, do not shoot the squirrels that are merely eating seed off the ground. That's fine as far as I am concerned.

Birds are not dirty. I handle my bird feeders just about everyday, as I have to refill them and I do not have any of the problems. Not one. And as I said, I have been feeding the birds for about 25 years now.

It also sounds like your neighbor is shooting the squirrels just for the sake of shooting them. If he got steel cans he wouldn't have any worries about squirrels chewing on them. If he got a squirrel resistant pool cover he would have to worry about squirrels bothering them again. 

Mice work their way into your house,garage or shed they are destructive and dirty as well. Why would anyone feed these animals is beyond me,sounds like you need a new hobby, 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mice work their way into your house,garage or shed they are destructive and dirty as well. Why would anyone feed these animals is beyond me,sounds like you need a new hobby, 

Yeah, well say that to the millions that think VERY differently about feeding the birds. You're clearly in the deranged minority on this one, 

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Yeah, but you still need to find areas for open hunting. You have to know the lay of the land, it's not as simple as showing up and shooting one. I have no idea where to go to have the best chances at getting a hog. I would need lodging, I would need to know a butcher locally that can package it for me because I don't on letting ti go to waste. I will need massive cooler space because I would travelling back to Maine from Florida.

So you see it isn't as easy as you make it sound. There's a LOT more to it.

In all honesty MJ their are hundreds on small farms down here.  You could probably pick the phone up and contact several of them.  Quite a few will let you kill as many as you like.  Feral pigs are very destructive to a small farm.

On private property no license is needed, can use any firearm you want, or trap them.  you can even hunt at night with a flashlight.   Recommended 

The lodging of course is still a problem, but finding a local butcher shouldn't be.  Most of the good all boys will do it for a cut of the meat.  

Yeah, I shot an 850 pound Field dressed Moose in 2000. Actually I'm quite jealous of you. Hog hunting is something I have always wanted to do. They're some mean hombres.

I gotta hand it to you, when you're not talking football you seem like you're a kinda nice guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bird feeders are dirty and disgusting they attract birds that sh*t all over and mice along with squirrels,my neighbors feed birds and it pisses me off. 

did you know you are never more than 10 feet from a spider ?

Archived