Tony Dungy - Hall of Famer - Yeah or Neigh

no psls

15 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

1 Super Bowl win with one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game?

Dungy has choked more times in big games than Peyton.

Exactly.

He was a good coach.  Remove the one title and he was 5-10 in the playoffs.  He still had a losing record in the playoffs. 

The Hall should be for greatness, not goodness.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know but as far as character, nobody beats him.

i live in tampa. Dungy drives a 4 year old pilot. He volunteers his time to the tampa day school football team where his kids go. He waits on the pick up line like any other parent. All around tampa you never hear a bad word about the dungys, quite the opposite as they are often praised

Oh yea, several of his kids are adopted. Nuff said. How many kids haveyou given a home to?

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

i live in tampa. Dungy drives a 4 year old pilot. He volunteers his time to the tampa day school football team where his kids go. He waits on the pick up line like any other parent. All around tampa you never hear a bad word about the dungys, quite the opposite as they are often praised

Oh yea, several of his kids are adopted. Nuff said. How many kids haveyou given a home to?

You got it. Tony Dungy should be put into the Pro Football Hall of Fame because he drives a used vehicle and picks up his kids from school.

Let's just look past the fact that he is mostly a bigot and not a great coach. Good coach, not great.

16 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

1 Super Bowl win with one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game?

Dungy has choked more times in big games than Peyton.

that QB is a huge choker, defenses carried him to both titles and dungy led one of them.  What he did in TB was incredible and then continued winning in Indy.  the man coached 13 seasons and had just 1 losing season(first season w/ the mess that was Tampa Bay), won double digit games 10 of those 13 years and made a championship game w/ Shaun King.  Amazing career and he didn't have a Brady to carry him.

9 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You got it. Tony Dungy should be put into the Pro Football Hall of Fame because he drives a used vehicle and picks up his kids from school.

Let's just look past the fact that he is mostly a bigot and not a great coach. Good coach, not great.

read my first line where i said "i don't know about it (HOF)" but….

hes a good guy. you gloss over the fact that he has many adopted children. thats a great thing to do. so how is he a racist what am i missing? the comments over that gaylord draftee? give me a break

23 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

read my first line where i said "i don't know about it (HOF)" but….

hes a good guy. you gloss over the fact that he has many adopted children. thats a great thing to do. so how is he a racist what am i missing? the comments over that gaylord draftee? give me a break

You seem like a peach. Enjoy being on the wrong side of history. 

On 2/7/2016 at 4:38 PM, AFJF said:

No.  I lived just south of Tampa during the Dungy years so I saw a lot of Bucs football.  That defense is second to the Ravens SB winning team over the past 20+ years IMO and with a better HC they win 3-4 SB's.  With Dungy, they had to wait for him to leave to get it done.  Then he goes to Indy and wins one with Manning and Moore running the show.

Yup... and you could argue that with a better defense (Dungy's specialty, no?) that Colts team should have won more than just one SB during Peyton's prime, with that OL, and Edge, Marvin, Wayne and all this little white slot WRs.

On February 8, 2016 at 11:16 PM, adb280z said:

If Dungy is HOFer than every coach that has won a SB should be in the HOF.

Did every coach build a team and legitimize a dumpster fire joke of an organization like the Tampa Bay Bucaneers because that was probably more impressive than him winning a Super Bowl

Most millenial sports fans have no understanding what the Bucaneers were before Tony Dungy they were like an Arena league team inside the NFL

22 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I agree Dungy seems like a man of decent morals and character but what's that have to do with being in the HOF. Secondly, just some perspective, a man I once worked with had two adopted children and he was Satan. He was a lazy, vile, self serving man who cost a lot of good people their careers. Not trying to draw a line back to Dungy or other good people who adopt on this but just making a point, I wouldn't be so quick to automatically bless all who adopt into Sainthood either. 

14 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

He had Peyton Manning in his prime and only comes away with one title?

Decent HC, but no way in hell he belongs in the HOF.

Peyton is a big time choker.  if peyton plays like reg season Peyton in postseason he has 4-5 SBs.  his 2 SB wins his D played incredibly and carried him(outside of the one half against the always overrated NE defense).

Peyton played 7 years for Dungy, averaged 12 wins a year and won a SB.

Peyton played for other coaches for 11 seasons, averaged 9 wins a season won a SB.

People forget what happened in TB.  TB 1983-1995, most amount of wins in any season was 7.  They averaged 4.46 wins per season, w/in 2 years Dungy had them in the playoffs.  w/in 3 losing a close title game against a great Ram team on the road. 

He belongs MORE than Belichick as a HC.  he won w/ a choker, Belichick was a failure w/o the greatest QB of all time.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Did every coach build a team and legitimize a dumpster fire joke of an organization like the Tampa Bay Bucaneers because that was probably more impressive than him winning a Super Bowl

Most millenial sports fans have no understanding what the Bucaneers were before Tony Dungy they were like an Arena league team inside the NFL

I don't think most remember how bad Tampa was.

1976-1995(20 seasons): TB made 3 postseasons

1996-2001 w/ Dungy(6 seasons): TB made 4 postseasons

2002-2015(14 seasons): TB made 3 postseasons

It's amazing, people talk about outing coughlin in the Hall b/c he had 2 fluky runs at 9-7/10-6 but they want to keep Dungy out whose teams were consistently among the best in the league and turned around the biggest laughingstock in sports.

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Tell me again how many winning seasons and Super Bowls Bill Belichick had without Brady?

but he won 10 games w/ Matt Cassell!

(a year after winning 16 against a much weaker sched and missed the playoffs w/ him when Cassell would take KC to the playoffs 2 years later.)

On 2/7/2016 at 2:59 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

Disagree about Swann. Thriving as a WR in that decade where PI was non existent is a real credit to him.

Bettis is more of a close call

I'm confused, not making fun.

How are Bettis and Swann related to Tony Dungy?

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Well, Dungy did.  He really helped turn that around, him and the GM.

To me, he should have won with TB.   He couldn't, but Gruden could, and that's not a great endorsement for Dungy.

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Well, Dungy did.  He really helped turn that around, him and the GM.

To me, he should have won with TB.   He couldn't, but Gruden could, and that's not a great endorsement for Dungy.

He would have eventually, notice how TB kept getting worse after that initial SB built team of 2002? and that was w/ a good HC in Gruden.

Gruden won w/ the D Dungy put together and in Indy Dungy won led by their D too.  it would have been one thing if Manning was great and put the team on his back but it was the other way around so Dungy gets that credit and TB was close w/ Dungy, Indy wasn't close pre Dungy.  Manning had never even won a playoff game until Dungy came along.

Just now, nyjunc said:

He would have eventually, notice how TB kept getting worse after that initial SB built team of 2002? and that was w/ a good HC in Gruden.

Couldn't keep the talent together, and they started getting older. 

That's why I think Gruden is a but over rated.  Although he gets credit for actually getting the Raiders on the doorstep (Tuck Rule) to the Super Bowl with Al Davis in the building.

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Couldn't keep the talent together, and they started getting older. 

That's why I think Gruden is a but over rated.  Although he gets credit for actually getting the Raiders on the doorstep (Tuck Rule) to the Super Bowl with Al Davis in the building.

Gruden was a good coach no doubt about it but he wasn't Dungy.

52 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Gruden won w/ the D Dungy put together and in Indy Dungy won led by their D too.  it would have been one thing if Manning was great and put the team on his back but it was the other way around so Dungy gets that credit and TB was close w/ Dungy, Indy wasn't close pre Dungy.  Manning had never even won a playoff game until Dungy came along.

When they won the SB in Indy, they were last in the league in run defense.  The D didn't really carry them, although they played better in the playoffs when Bob Sanders came back.  I don't think Dungy is a bad HC, I think he's over rated and doesn't belong in the Hall.  Since the NFL didn't ask me, he's going in.

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

When they won the SB in Indy, they were last in the league in run defense.  The D didn't really carry them, although they played better in the playoffs when Bob Sanders came back.  I don't think Dungy is a bad HC, I think he's over rated and doesn't belong in the Hall.  Since the NFL didn't ask me, he's going in.

it was all about postseason.  They won against a great Baltimore D on the road where Peyton didn't lead the O to a TD.  In 4 games they allowed 12.8 PPG.  they won b/c of their defense not their offense.

I believe he deserves it because he did win a Super Bowl in Indianapolis with the Colts. It also greatly  helped that he had Peyton Manning quarterbacking his team back then or else he wouldn't be considered a good coach. He does a decent job on NBC talking about the NFL before the Sunday Night Football games on NBC. I would say no he doesn't deserve it if he didn't win that one super bowl. Dungy does have a losing record vs New England because of the numerous times they faced each other in the playoffs in the past. Just my opinion

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:52 PM, Snell41 said:

Lots of great guys in the NFL. Doesn't make them HOFers. There's someone who argued a while back that Coughlin is not HOF worthy. That dude must've had an aneurysm. As for Dungy, no I don't believe he's worthy at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coughlin is NOT a HOFer, 2 great postseason runs doesn't equal greatness.  very good coach, not a HOFer. 

On 2/7/2016 at 3:24 PM, The Troll said:

I think it has more to do with him not making pretty ballet catches in the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swann's the reason why Stallworth is in the HOF.  Swann was the real deal.

9 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Dungy: Sure fire HoFer, Coughlin: not deserving. 

You're the very best of the best. 

it's not my fault I know and understand this game better than you.

Tony Dungy took over the WORST franchise in the sport, w/in 2 years had them in the playoffs.

Dungy coached 13 seasons:

-he had ONE losing season(1st season taking over worst franchise in the sport), 8% of the time

-won double digit games 10 times, 77% of the time

-made playoffs 11 times, 85% of the time

-Peyton manning had played 4 seasons and didn't have a playoff win until Dungy got there

-most consecutive losing seasons? 1

-most consecutive seasons missing playoffs? 1

-most consecutive winning seasons? 10

-most consec times making playoffs? 10

Coughlin had the benefit of taking over the jaguars when the league gave them and Carolina every advantage to succeed quickly.  Both expansion teams made title game year 2(Car at 12-4, jax at 9-7)

Coughlin coached 20 seasons:

-had SEVEN losing seasons, 35% of the time

-won double digit games just 7 times, 35% of the time(that's 3 more times in 7 less chances for Dungy)

-made playoffs 9 times, 45%(2 less time than Dungy and Dungy had 7 less seasons)

-most consec losing seasons? 4

-most consec winning seasons? 4

most consec times making playoffs? 4

it's nice Coughlin had 2 great postseason runs but greatness is about what you do over time not what you do over the course of a month.

Archived