Could you imagine...

BowlesMovement

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

What?  It is the Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!!! No fan would ever think that.  Damn ball was at his feet.  Plus we are talking a guy the size of a tigh end.  Not Doug Flute.  Come up bloody trying to get that ball is the only thing that makes sense.

Not sure if you noticed he was showing some signs of a sore shoulder if he gets a separation or worse, what do you say. Short view great effort long term what a dumb attempt. No win in my opinion

50 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Cam gave up on that fumble.  He is trash. Kinda thing you may not recover from.  

i agree

ended the game

Career defining moment. 

He won't live it down unless he wins a SB

9 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Not sure if you noticed he was showing some signs of a sore shoulder if he gets a separation or worse, what do you say. Short view great effort long term what a dumb attempt. No win in my opinion

I watch Big Ben compete beat to hell.  Cam is soft.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Talking toughness not how well a team did.  

Ben carried the Steelers Cam carries the Panthers. For me it's not about toughness it's about success. Pennington tore a rotator that for the most part ended his career. Would just hate to see that happen to Cam. I for one will not fault him.

2 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Ben carried the Steelers Cam carries the Panthers. For me it's not about toughness it's about success. Pennington tore a rotator that for the most part ended his career. Would just hate to see that happen to Cam. I for one will not fault him.

ok.  Good night.

I dunno, if you're in the super bowl and you see one of your players diving on the ball then maybe as QB you think it's not the time to dive in and risk injury to yourself or affecting your teammate grabbing the loose ball. That might especially be true if you are the weight of that offense and you're behind. Looks terrible but might not be completely without reason. Ultimately the whole team choked out there and was badly outplayed so if you want to pin one stupid play on Newton you might as well pin a dozen other plays on the rest of CAR.

P

8 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I dunno, if you're in the super bowl and you see one of your players diving on the ball then maybe as QB you think it's not the time to dive in and risk injury to yourself or affecting your teammate grabbing the loose ball. That might especially be true if you are the weight of that offense and you're behind. Looks terrible but might not be completely without reason. Ultimately the whole team choked out there and was badly outplayed so if you want to pin one stupid play on Newton you might as well pin a dozen other plays on the rest of CAR.

Perhaps, but ex-QB and announcer Phil Simms really ripped into him and made it seem pretty clear that Cam should have jumped in there. It's the Super Bowl, man! Risk injury? There were only a couple minutes left in a one score game! If ever there is a moment to risk injury, it is to win a Super Bowl, even if you're the franchise. The bigger risk would be to lose some respect from fans and teammates. That being said, I doubt all this went through his mind at that moment. Seems to me he froze up, and that was likely perceived as pussying out. Our QB was oft criticized for being too aggressive. Bet Carolina fans would have liked to have seen that from their QB on that critical, game changing play.

1 hour ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

P

Perhaps, but ex-QB and announcer Phil Simms really ripped into him and made it seem pretty clear that Cam should have jumped in there. It's the Super Bowl, man! Risk injury? There were only a couple minutes left in a one score game! If ever there is a moment to risk injury, it is to win a Super Bowl, even if you're the franchise. The bigger risk would be to lose some respect from fans and teammates. That being said, I doubt all this went through his mind at that moment. Seems to me he froze up, and that was likely perceived as pussying out. Our QB was oft criticized for being too aggressive. Bet Carolina fans would have liked to have seen that from their QB on that critical, game changing play.

I understand that perspective but I think there are other reasonable conclusions one can draw. Imagine if he dives in there and gets injured with minutes left. Then the team has to hang its final minutes to come back on a backup which is especially risky if CAR fails to come away with the ball. That's twice as bad as giving up the fumble. I dunno, it's hard to castigate the guy like he pranced away from running in the game winning touchdown without really knowing what was in his head in that moment. Maybe he was playing scared all game and that was the clearest presentation that he wasn't willing to risk it all for a super bowl victory. Maybe he thought it was his best chance to keep his team in the game.

Unfortunately we live in an excuse making society, whatever it is, he froze, gave up, started sulking, didn't want to injure himself, he needed that ball back, it was the super bowl down one score under 5 mins left deep in your own territory. This loss is nowhere near Cam newtons fault, but you talk the talk, you walk the walk and unfortunately you will be judged more and he came up small on this particular play and his press conference just cemented the fact that he is not ideal leader of men 

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick played a much worse game against Buffalo. 

Yeah, not even close. Fitzptrick was bad agains the Bills, he is a journeyman QB making backup money. Cam was AWFUL, missing wide receivers all over the place, no awareness of a pass rush that was dominating him, whining and complaining, fumbled 2 times leading to TD's, he was as bad as a QB can be.

9 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Better than me.  Commiting my life to being a sports Dad for the last 10 years has made sensitive to quitting.  I tell my kids, " plays good, play bad.. Just play your heart out."  Cam quit when his team needed him most.  

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm with you.... but Cam isn't the Jets QB and he's not one of my kids. There's a time to get worked up over things like that, and a time to just shrug and say, "well, that sucks for that guy".

This Bronco defense may have been even better than the 2000 Ravens.  After all, that defense didn't have to deal with illegal contact penalties.  I don't think there's much shame in Cam losing to them. 

Not falling on that fumble was pretty unforgivable, and I hope he learns going forward that you have to be a leader even in times of adversity.  But he's still a really good young QB (only 26) who is on the cusp of greatness.  He's inspired many, many High School coaches across the nation that you can take an athletic kid who looks like a linebacker and give him a shot at QB.  I don't think this game changed all of that all of a sudden.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This Bronco defense may have been even better than the 2000 Ravens.  After all, that defense didn't have to deal with illegal contact penalties.  I don't think there's much shame in Cam losing to them. 

Not falling on that fumble was pretty unforgivable, and I hope he learns going forward that you have to be a leader even in times of adversity.  But he's still a really good young QB (only 26) who is on the cusp of greatness.  He's inspired many, many High School coaches across the nation that you can take an athletic kid who looks like a linebacker and give him a shot at QB.  I don't think this game changed all of that all of a sudden.

Cam was missing wide open receivers all over the place last night. There were a LOT of plays to be made that he missed because he is not an accurate passer. Broncos D is awesome, Cam sucked last night really bad.

4 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Cam was missing wide open receivers all over the place last night. There were a LOT of plays to be made that he missed because he is not an accurate passer. Broncos D is awesome, Cam sucked last night really bad.

Yep, he had 2 really bad overthrows, and the interception was terrible too.  The Bronco D had a similar impact it had on Brady 2 weeks prior.  There's no way around it:  Cam had a lousy game.  It happens.

But also remember there WERE some key drops by Panther receivers, which had been happening all season for the Panthers (but was mostly ignored because they were so good at running the ball).  When Kelvin Benjamin returns next year perhaps those types of things will be a lot less likely.  I'm not quite ready to say that Cam is this super overrated QB just yet.  Maybe he hasn't earned the privilege of being the "face of the NFL" like he's already getting labeled, but he's still very clearly a QB who will be one of the top guys in the game every year he's in the league, and I imagine he'll get another chance at a ring fairly soon.

Archived