Calvin Pryor ~ ~ ~

kelly

A few New York Jets-related thoughts from the Denver Broncos' win over theCarolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50 :

1. Denver has the model defense: Jets safety Calvin Pryor created a small brushfire during the game when he tweeted, "If we had a pass rush like Denver." For effect, he included three weary-face emojis. Some people interpreted the tweet as a criticism of his own pass-rush, but I don't think he meant it that way. Players from 29 other teams at home could've tweeted the same thing. The point is, no one has a pass-rush like the Broncos, who sacked the sulking Superman seven times and pressured him on 43 percent of his dropbacks.

Bookend rushers Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware were historically dominant, wiping the smile off Cam Newton's face. That's what the Jets need, a couple of fast edge-rushers.

The Jets' pass-rush was above-average -- fifth in pressure percentage and tied for 12th in sacks -- but they lacked a consistent outside rush to complement their power rushers. It's their No. 1 priority in the offseason. Other than second-year linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin, who's not even close to reaching his ceiling, they don't have a player who fits the profile. Newly-signed Freddie Bishop, who recorded 11 sacks in the CFL, is hardly a cure-all. They can select a pass-rusher with the 20th pick in the draft or perhaps sign a moderately-priced free agent. Chances are, they won't be able to replicate what the Broncos have, but they can get closer to it.

For the record, Pryor deleted his tweet, following up with a damage-control tweet: "Everyone knows how great our front 7 is...chill & stop trying to assume things ppl."

rest of above article : 

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58368/jets-s-calvin-pryor-envious-of-denver-pass-rush-and-who-isnt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2016 at 10:27 AM, kelly said:

"What was your favorite school lunch?"

"What was your favorite video game as a kid?"

Talk about a fluff piece.  I mean this is "Chad Pennington's fastball" kind of fluffy.

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing our film review season of the Jets 2015 season, we move on to one of the most impressive reels: former first round pick Calvin Pryor. What kind of jump did the strong safety make in his sophomore season ? Let’s take a look.

videos..

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/06/film-review-calvin-pryor-is-one-of-nfls-top-young-strong-safeties/

• 1 month later...

For the first time Saturday morning, Jets Wire put together a live, question-and-answer mailbag. After compiling questions over the last several days, Jets Wire answered five total via video.

Don’t worry, this mailbag won’t replace the one Jets Wire normally runs on Sunday, but rather run with it. Check out the video above, and if you have any questions, comments or concerns, drop them just below in our comment section.

On tap this week? Will Calvin Pryor take be a Pro Bowler in 2016, what role will Jace Amaro have in New York’s offense, is it definitelyGeno Smith if Ryan Fitzpatrick leaves, and much, much more.

>      http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/05/28/jets-video-qa-is-calvin-pryor-a-pro-bowler-jace-amaro-role-in-offense/

The Jets drafted strong safety Calvin Pryor 18th overall in 2014. He struggled at times during his rookie season, while playing out of position, due to the Jets' cornerback deficiencies. Last season, Pryor was much better, as he played in his natural role, closer to the line of scrimmage. 

Does he believe, then, that he is nearing his full potential as an NFL player ? 

"Not even," he told NJ Advance Media. "I haven't even hit the ceiling fan yet." 

Last season, Pryor had two interceptions, six passes defended, and one forced fumble. In 2014, he had no picks, no forced fumbles, and two passes defended. As he prepares for Year 3, he has set higher goals for himself. "I know I'm one hell of a player when my mind is right and I'm focused and I'm locked in, and I have guys around me that believe in me," he said after Wednesday's organized team activities practice. "I like to shine in the brightest moments. That's something I'm not going to shy away from. I think with Year 3, I can only get better."I believe in my ability to do great things, as well as make the Pro Bowl and being an All-Pro. That's some of the things I have on my list, but at the same time, I have to put in the work for it. And once the season rolls around, I've got to play like it." 

He thinks he can make the Pro Bowl in 2016. 

"I believe so, but that's something I just can't talk about," he said. "That's something I have to go out and prove to everyone. I think if I do the right things and put in the work, the sky is the limit for me. "In the NFL, man, you really can't reach your peak right away. With experience and playing a lot of football games, and facing opponents, with time, it comes. Everything is working out. I hope for a better year than I had last year and just continue to roll as time goes on." 

His next step as a player ? 

"Becoming a leader on this defense," he said. "Just being more vocal and showing the young guys the way. We have a lot of young guys on this defense now,and I've been here going on Year 3.Guys like[veteran middle linebacker]David Harris really don't talk as much.  "Sometimes, you can be a vocal leader, and sometimes you can lead the way by just how you go about things. I think I'm more of a vocal leader. I like to talk. I like to make sure people are on the same page and listening and focused. I think with those things, I think I can fill those areas." As far as the Jets' defense overall, Pryor is taking a wait-and-see approach before he declares that this unit can be better than last year's, which finished fifth in the NFL in Football Outsiders' defensive DVOA

"I think it's too early to tell," Pryor said. "We're still trying to blend together. I'm not sure of what we can become yet. I know it's a more younger talented group. We added some pieces that we really needed, as far as edge rushers go, and guys who get to the quarterback." 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/05/jets_calvin_pryor_on_his_potential_i_havent_even_h.html#incart_river_index

4 hours ago, kelly said:

"Not even," he told NJ Advance Media. "I haven't even hit the ceiling fan yet." 

Not that he hasn't tried. This guy is a one trick pony and the trick isn't even that impressive. Can't cover in space or tackle in space. I would have MUCH preferred Kyle Fuller over Pryor in that draft. Jets had a screaming NEED at CB with Revis gone and Fuller has been a great addition to the Bears. Another Rex / Idzik blunder. Rex drafted him because of his nickname the "Louisville slugger" and for no other reason.

I think Pryor is developing nicely and gaining confidence.  He can be a playmaker at the safety spot.  Overall, after being mishandled by Rex and Co. he came into his own last season.  He was a solid pick with a lot of upside.  No picking on Idzik for this one.  Taj Boyd on the other hand...

On 2/8/2016 at 11:52 AM, T0mShane said:

Somebody tell Pryor that he has a hall of fame tracker playing on the DL ok

At the risk of starting a tedious "discussion" where the meat will be piled high - pass - does anyone care that Wilkerson actually is on a HOF track? Football really is just the worst...Damn you and your February pandering Shane, damn you to heck.

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

At the risk of starting a tedious "discussion" where the meat will be piled high - pass - does anyone care that Wilkerson actually is on a HOF track? Football really is just the worst...

And like you said a better career then Joe Klecko..:)

Whenever Calvin Pryor decides to check his twitter feed this morning, an ear-to-ear grin is sure spread across his face shortly thereafter.On Monday, the Minnesota Vikings and Pro Bowl safety Harrison Smith agreed to terms on a massive new five-year extension. According to NFL Network, the deal will be worth a whopping $51.25 million with $15.27 fully guaranteed. Now averaging $10.75 million a year, Smith is the league’s highest-paid safety.

Money well earned, many would say, as Smith is one of the game’s best safeties.

And Pryor ? Well, Pryor’s one of the league’s up-and-coming stars at the same position. And, in a few years, will likely be looking for a similar pay day.Originally selected by the Jets in the first round of the 2014 NFL draft, Pryor was, believe it or not, viewed by many as a “bust” not even 12 months into his NFL career. Forced to play out of position due to a bevy of injuries in New York’s secondary, Pryor struggled as a rookie.

Known as a box safety in college, Pryor played deep zone coverage that year. He was regularly picked on by opposing quarterbacks, out of position countless times and even ended up getting benched by then-coach Rex Ryan.“Has to do with coaching as well. It goes hand in hand,” Pryor said a year ago when asked of his rookie-year struggles “Could have played guys in the right position.”

Ryan, as is well known, was fired and replaced by Todd Bowles after that season. Thanks to several key free-agent additions — Marcus Gilchrist, Antonio Cromartie, Buster Skrine, Darrelle Revis — Pryor, in 2015, was allowed to play a more natural “combo-safety” position, rotating between being in the box, and back deep.

And oh what a different that little switch made.

Pryor, who will turn 24 next month, finished last season with 69 combined tackles, six passes defensed, two interceptions and countless bone-crushing hits. He was the tone-setter in New York’s secondary, the vocal leader and was missed greatly during his three game absences due to injury.He showed, for all intents and purposes, all the signs that he can develop into one of the game’s best at the position. And at least early in the Jets OTAs, looks to be taking an additional step as a leader. It’s not an uncommon occurrence to see Pryor shouting advice to his fellow defenders — or even receivers — from the sideline.

So, how does Harrison’s deal impact Pryor? As of right now, not directly. Pryor won’t be a free agent for another three years where, if things continue on this pace, the cap will have increased another $30-plus million.However, what Harrison’s deal shows is that the value of safeties is starting to be shown, and they’re beginning to be compensated as such.From 2013 through 2014, the NFL’s highest-paid safety made just under $10 million (Troy Polamalu, $9.6m). From 2014 through 2015, Earl Thomas was the league’s highest paid making $10 million. Now, Smith takes over the “top spot” in 2016 with a salary of $10.25 million.

So, what’s that say about Pryor ?

Well, if he continues on his present career trajectory — an arrow pointing way up — it’s not unrealistic to believe that come 2019, he’ll be in position to be setting a new financial high for the safety market.

>   http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/06/does-harrison-smiths-big-contract-set-bar-for-jets-calvin-pryor/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game. I also am not including Ryan Fitzpatrick on the list because he is not technically a Jet at this time.

No. 11: Calvin Pryor

Last year’s ranking: 16

Position: Safety

How acquired: Selected in the first round of the 2014 Draft

Years left on contract: 2 (plus a team option for a third)

2016 Salary Cap figure: $2.3 million

Looking back at 2015: After a shaky rookie season, Pryor came into his own during his second year in the NFL. He clicked with new coach Todd Bowles and was able to play his natural strong safety position after a 2014 season of playing out of position because of the poor state of the secondary.Pryor finished the year with 69 tackles, two interceptions, six passes defended and one forced fumble. Pro Football Focus graded him as the 40th safety out of 89.

When the Jets drafted Pryor in the first round in 2014, they talked about his big-hitting ability that earned him the nickname “Louisville Slugger” in college. That was on display in 2015. His biggest hit of the year came on Dolphins wide receiver Rishard Matthews. The brutal hit knocked Matthews out of the game.Besides the big hits, Pryor just looked more comfortable. He made some brilliant pre-snap reads to blow up plays at or near the line of scrimmage.

Outlook for 2016: It feels like Pryor is on the verge of becoming a top player at his position. If he makes as big of a jump in 2016 as he made in 2015, the Pro Bowl is a possibility.There is no reason to expect a downturn from Pryor. He will be playing alongside Marcus Gilchrist again, he has another year in the system and looked considerably stronger in the spring.

>      http://nypost.com/2016/07/13/calvin-pryor-set-to-jump-from-potential-bust-to-pro-bowler/

• 3 weeks later...

Suffice it to say that Calvin Pryor's benchmarks for the Jets' success in 2016 are a little simpler and more aspirational than Mike Maccagnan's. Two days after Maccagnan wouldn't make the playoffs a demarcation line between success and failure, Pryor was pretty clear. The third-year safety offered two words: "Super Bowl." "Why wouldn't it be? That's what we play for," Pryor told the News. “That's what we're out here busting our ass for. Try to go compete in the Super Bowl, and it starts now." Pryor's comments came just a couple days after the team's GM wouldn't concede that the team needed to at least reach the postseason in order for the year to be a success. "I don't know if I would necessarily say playoffs or bust," Maccagnan said on Friday. The GM said the team uses other benchmarks, in addition to reaching the playoffs, to evaluate their seasons (though he wouldn't reveal what those are).

Asked how they could have success without reaching the playoffs, the GM said he'd have look at the positive and negatives from the season. When Pryor was asked if it would be a failure to miss the playoffs, the safety said, "Of course. In order to get to the Super Bowl you have to get the playoffs." Unquestionably, Pryor's mindset is much more in line with most fans'. The Jets are coming off of a 10-win season and are returning much of the same personnel that got them so far last year. Gang Green Nation wouldn't be satiated by another oh-so-close season. "We're going to take it one step at a time, but in the back of our minds, getting into the playoffs and competing for a Super Bowl, that's definitely on our minds," Pryor said. "Of course," Pryor said. "I think we have a great football team." In addition to the team success he hopes for, the third-year safety is hoping for an even better personal performance in 2016.

After a disappointing rookie season in 2014, Pryor was able to make a big improvement last season when he was moved back to his natural strong safety position. He caught two interceptions and forced one fumble along with 50 tackles last year in 13 games played, with a few missed due to an ankle injury. "I think I had an OK season, always room for improvement. I'm not going to say I had the best season in the world because I didn't," Pryor said. "I didn't make All-Pro, didn't make the Pro Bowl. I'm just hungry for more. As I look into going into the season, I want those things to happen, so I have to work for it each day." "I want to be All-Pro, I want to be a Pro Bowler, why wouldn't I?" he added, though he wasn't making any guarantees. "If it happens it happens, if it don't, it don't. But at the same time I want to get out there help my teammates win football games and earn respect from my teammates."

>     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-safety-calvin-pryor-mind-set-super-bowl-article-1.2733352

1 minute ago, kelly said:

Suffice it to say that Calvin Pryor's benchmarks for the Jets' success in 2016 are a little simpler and more aspirational than Mike Maccagnan's. Two days after Maccagnan wouldn't make the playoffs a demarcation line between success and failure, Pryor was pretty clear. The third-year safety offered two words: "Super Bowl." "Why wouldn't it be? That's what we play for," Pryor told the News. “That's what we're out here busting our ass for. Try to go compete in the Super Bowl, and it starts now." Pryor's comments came just a couple days after the team's GM wouldn't concede that the team needed to at least reach the postseason in order for the year to be a success. "I don't know if I would necessarily say playoffs or bust," Maccagnan said on Friday. The GM said the team uses other benchmarks, in addition to reaching the playoffs, to evaluate their seasons (though he wouldn't reveal what those are).

Asked how they could have success without reaching the playoffs, the GM said he'd have look at the positive and negatives from the season. When Pryor was asked if it would be a failure to miss the playoffs, the safety said, "Of course. In order to get to the Super Bowl you have to get the playoffs." Unquestionably, Pryor's mindset is much more in line with most fans'. The Jets are coming off of a 10-win season and are returning much of the same personnel that got them so far last year. Gang Green Nation wouldn't be satiated by another oh-so-close season. "We're going to take it one step at a time, but in the back of our minds, getting into the playoffs and competing for a Super Bowl, that's definitely on our minds," Pryor said. "Of course," Pryor said. "I think we have a great football team." In addition to the team success he hopes for, the third-year safety is hoping for an even better personal performance in 2016.

After a disappointing rookie season in 2014, Pryor was able to make a big improvement last season when he was moved back to his natural strong safety position. He caught two interceptions and forced one fumble along with 50 tackles last year in 13 games played, with a few missed due to an ankle injury. "I think I had an OK season, always room for improvement. I'm not going to say I had the best season in the world because I didn't," Pryor said. "I didn't make All-Pro, didn't make the Pro Bowl. I'm just hungry for more. As I look into going into the season, I want those things to happen, so I have to work for it each day." "I want to be All-Pro, I want to be a Pro Bowler, why wouldn't I?" he added, though he wasn't making any guarantees. "If it happens it happens, if it don't, it don't. But at the same time I want to get out there help my teammates win football games and earn respect from my teammates."

>     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-safety-calvin-pryor-mind-set-super-bowl-article-1.2733352

Most fans? 

On 6/8/2016 at 2:28 AM, kelly said:

Originally selected by the Jets in the first round of the 2014 NFL draft, Pryor was, believe it or not, viewed by many as a “bust” not even 12 months into his NFL career. Forced to play out of position due to a bevy of injuries in New York’s secondary, Pryor struggled as a rookie.

Of the many things I will not miss from the Rex Ryan Error, the constant playing of people out of their natural position might be top of my list. It's like he couldn't resist always trying to prove how "innovative" he was. Reminds me of a coach I once had. Whenever a player would hot dog, or do something unnecessarily complicated like pass behind the back to wow the crowd, he would scream "Fancy will f*ck you!" Don't do a spin move when running straight ahead is available.

Jets strong safety Calvin Pryor, a former first-round draft pick, is entering his third season.

Many observers envision 2016 as a potential breakout season for Pryor, who played out of position often in 2014 (with deep coverage responsibilities), but thrived last season in his natural spot, closer to the line of scrimmage.Pryor also hopes this can be a breakout season for the Jets, who last reached the playoffs in 2010. Coming off a 10-6 season in which they narrowly missed the playoffs, the Jets look like a win-now team. 

General manager Mike Maccagnan might not be slapping a "playoffs or bust" label on this team. But it is clear his players feel otherwise, which is not surprising. "Everybody is looking forward to what type of team we can become this year," Pryor told NJ Advance Media. "We just have to take the right steps, and try to have a push for the playoffs and have Super Bowl intentions, mainly. We have a great team here. We just have to bring it all together.

"If we do the right things that are necessary for us to make the playoffs and make theSuper Bowl, it starts right now [during training camp]. There are 32 teams in the NFL. I'm pretty sure 31 other teams are talking about the same thing."If they're not, they're in it for the wrong reasons. So I'm pretty sure that's everybody's goal right now. I think we have a pretty good football team. I can say that. We just have to take it one step at a time." 

Pryor said during spring practices that he thinks he has the potential to make the Pro Bowl in 2016.One other personal goal he has set for himself — create more turnovers. He has two career interceptions (both last season) and eight career passes defended (six last season). His lone NFL forced fumble came last year. 

"Just try to get more turnovers, try to be more active on the back end, try to get more PBUs [pass breakups], which I think will come," Pryor said of his goals for 2016. "I just have to do my job and train my eyes. As long as I'm self-disciplined, I think good things will happen. I just want to improve in every area. If I do the right things, I'm pretty sure things will go in my direction." 

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_calvin_pryor_has_super_bowl_intentions_enteri.html#incart_river_index

• 2 weeks later...

— There's a slight hesitation in Calvin Pryor's voice as he collects his thoughts. Once they're there, he spits his answers out in rapid fire. 

"The three best safeties right now?" Pryor told NJ Advance Media on Sunday. "Tyrann Mathieu, Earl Thomas, Eric Berry."

And why ?

"They have that 'it' factor about them," Pryor said. "And I've got 'it,' too." 

Pryor is an interesting individual, and one of the more fascinating, up-and-coming players on the Jets' defense. Spend five minutes with him, and it's impossible not to see his overwhelming self-confidence. But Pryor doesn't present it in an arrogant or cocky way. Talk to him, and you leave believing everything he says.Maybe it's how he expresses it — casually, not boastful. Maybe it's his unwavering self-determination to make others see what he knows.Calvin Pryor believes Calvin Pryor is one of the best safeties in the NFL, a player destined for not one, but multiple Pro Bowl selections. 

"I just have to go out there and prove it each and every day," Pryor said. 

Taken in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, Pryor endured a rookie year he'd like to forget. When injuries depleted and derailed the Jets' cornerback group, Pryor, an in-the-box strong safety by nature, was forced into a free safety role. Then-Jets coach Rex Ryan put him 15 to 20 yards back from the line of scrimmage. There, Pryor played deep zone coverage.

It didn't go well. 

Pryor was regularly picked on by opposing quarterbacks and looked out of place. He ended up getting benched midway through the season. Pryor finished 2014 with 60 tackles, no interceptions, a whole bunch of doubters and a disdain for Ryan, whom the Jets fired at the end of the season. Pryor's anger boiled over in 2015.During a conference call with reporters, Ryan — who was hired by the Bills 14 days after being fired — said the Jets' 2013 draft deserved an "A-plus" grade. When asked about Pryor's 2014 draft class, Ryan said, "not so much."

Pryor's immediate response: "Has to do with coaching as well. It goes hand in hand. Could have played guys in the right position."And that's exactly what new coach Todd Bowles, who replaced Ryan last year, has done. One of the first moves the Jets made last offseason was signing free safety Marcus Gilchrist. That, plus better and healthier cornerbacks, allowed Pryor toplay closer to the line.In 2015, he made 69 tackles, defended six passes, intercepted two and forced a fumble. Oh, he missed three games with a high ankle sprain.

"If I hadn't been hurt?" Pryor said, shaking his head. "Man, there's no telling what could have happened. Pro Bowl? Something good could have come out of it." 

Pryor hasn't been quiet this offseason about what his expectations are. During spring practices, he said he hadn't even hit the "ceiling fan" of his NFL potential.Through 13 training camp practices, he looks more instinctive than he was his first two years. He also appears to be stepping into a leadership role. It's a fairly regular occurrence to see Pryor pulling a younger player to the side for a pep talk during practice. The Jets are expecting him to improve his field awareness, as well.

"Going through your first two years, some things catch you off guard," Bowles, a former NFL safety, said in May. "But as you become a safety, you become more instinctive. You figure out how people attack you, and you figure out certain things by formation, personnel. I think he's growing into that part going into his third year."Barring another injury, Pryor is viewed by many as a breakout candidate heading into 2016. The question is: How big of a step will he take?Maybe this time next year some safety in another camp will name-drop him as one of the league's best.

"Hopefully so," Pryor said. "There are a lot of good safeties in this league. Hopefully, my name is put in front of some of those guys."

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_calvin_pryor_says_hes_one_of_nfls_best_safeti.html#incart_river_index

Archived