G Brian Winters receives $1 million pay raise for 2016 ~ ~ ~

kelly

Right guard Brian Winters, who replaced the injured Willie Colon and wound up starting 10 games last season for the New York Jets, will get a nice raise in 2016 -- about $1 million.

As part of the NFL's rookie wage scale, Winters' base salary (non-guaranteed) jumps to $1.696 million, the final year of his rookie contract. Previously, he was due to make $675,000.There's a thing called the "proven performance escalator," which allows mid- to late-round draft choices to make more money if they play a lot. Specifically, a player receives the raise if he was drafted in the third through seventh rounds and participated in at least 35 percent of the offensive or defensive snaps in two of his first three seasons.

Winters, a third-round pick in 2013, easily qualified because he also started 12 games as a rookie and six in 2014.

He and fullback Tommy Bohanon are the only two current Jets from the 2013 draft who were eligible for the pay hike. Bohanon came up short. He played in 35.3 percent of the snaps in 2013, according to Football Outsiders, but he missed most of 2014 with a fractured collarbone and played only 24 percent last season. As a result, his salary stays the same -- $675,000.Interestingly, Winters is scheduled to make more than fellow 2013 classmate Geno Smith ($1.1 million, including a roster bonus), the starting quarterback for two years. Ah, but Smith was a second-round pick, so he wasn't eligible.

Despite the raise, Winters is hardly secure in the starting lineup. He received favorable reviews from the coaching staff, but right guard is the position on the line where the Jets are most likely to upgrade.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58395/jets-g-brian-winters-receives-1-million-pay-raise-for-2016

I thought that Winters grew a lot at the RG position in 2015 and he seems to be on the rise. He is definitely far from perfect, and I am not saying that the Jets should not look into upgrading the position, but they can do far worse

Jets right guard Brian Winters has yet to prove himself as a consistently successful NFL starter. But he did earn a raise for the 2016 season, the fourth and final year of his rookie contract. Winters, whom the Jets drafted in the third round in 2013, will now make $1.696 million next season, according to NFLPA records.

His base salary was previously scheduled to be $708,000. In 2015, he earned a base salary of $618,000. Winters' 2016 base salary, even after the raise, remains non-guaranteed. If the Jets opt to cut him before the season, his dead money salary cap figure remains the same — $160,969 (his prorated signing bonus). Winters' 2016 cap figure, if he's on the team, will now be $1,856,969 (his new base salary plus his prorated signing bonus figure). 

Why the raise for Winters ?

Well, because of a clause in the collective bargaining agreement called a proven performance escalator. It is tied to playing time, and applies only to players drafted in Rounds 3-7. A player qualifies for the escalator in the final year of his rookie contract if he played at least 35 percent of his team's offensive or defensive snaps in two of his first three regular seasons. A player can also achieve the escalator if he has a cumulative average of at least 35 percent of snaps during his first three seasons. 

So it's all tied to playing time, rather than how a guy actually performed during that playing time — which, of course, is subjective. 

Last year, Jets safety Antonio Allen and weak-side linebacker Demario Davis hit the escalator. The year before, wide receiver Jeremy Kerley and running back Bilal Powell got it. Winters is the only member of the Jets' 2013 draft class who played enough to receive the escalator for 2016.The Jets drafted three players below him: offensive guard Oday Aboushi (fifth round), offensive guard William Campbell (sixth round), and fullback Tommy Bohanon (seventh round). Only Bohanon remains with the Jets.Bohanon is the Jets' starting fullback — a position they don't use on every down — and though he played in every game in 2013 and 2015, he was limited to four games in 2014 by a season-ending broken collarbone. 

So far, Winters' career has been uneven, and he isn't a lock to retain his starting job in 2016. 

He started 12 games in 2013, and then six in 2014, before he sustained a season-ending ACL tear. He was the Jets' left guard in those two seasons. They signed left guard James Carpenter before 2015, so Winters moved to right guard.In 2015 training camp, Winters lost the right guard competition to veteran Willie Colon. But when Colon went on season-ending injured reserve with chronic knee pain, Winters became the starter. He started 10 games in 2015. Winters' Pro Football Focus ratings in his first three seasons: 77th, 66th, and 62nd. 

So even though Winters is getting a raise for 2016, he isn't guaranteed to be re-signed for 2017 and beyond — just as the Jets likely plan to let Davis leave in free agency this offseason, following his underwhelming raise year in 2015. 

>  http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/why_jets_brian_winters_is_getting_a_raise_for_2016.html#incart_river_index

I consider this good news that the organization thinks they have a good, cheap player whom they want to keep based on potential. A few players like Brian Winters developing into a solid starter is as important as signing any higher profile free agent. You need a couple of overachievers and dark horses on the roster if the team is gonna be any good. A la guys like Brandon Moore. You dicks. 

Winters showed improvement this year at 1.6 he still is not that expensive on a group that has two high salaries on it . If we want to upgrade at  right tackle that is going to cost two so it works for me right now

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agreed.  Sign Bobby Massie and the right side of our line is fixed for the foreseeable future.

this, or they take a tackle in the first three rounds and let qvale compete for the starting spot.  if they wind up dealing wilk to some team like the raiders and get multiple picks in the first round and perhaps even another round, there's an even better chance of taking a tackle.  

23 minutes ago, flgreen said:

We'll see.

That $1,000,000 raise might put him on unemployment 

Possibly, but even for a backup it isn't crazy money for a young player with experience and upside. 

Thing is the team surely realizes they could do with an upgrade at each tackle position (neither has had a good season for some time now, and those two will count some $20M next year; 70% of that counts towards Ferguson). As much as we'd like to upgrade any upgradeable position on the roster, I don't know that $1M more makes his roster spot more of a priority to upgrade than the other two. It's one thing for any/all of them to be below average players. It's something more to be a below average player and command $5M or $10M salaries. $1.6M is lowly in comparison, and isn't even a kooky amount for a backup to both guard spots in the event they sign/draft someone better to start. 

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this, or they take a tackle in the first three rounds and let qvale compete for the starting spot.  if they wind up dealing wilk to some team like the raiders and get multiple picks in the first round and perhaps even another round, there's an even better chance of taking a tackle.  

We need to take a tackle within the first 3 rounds even if we sign Massie.  Bite the bullet now and let Bowles "figure it out" when it comes to defense.  Athletic LB's can be found in the middle rounds or in free agency.  We won't likely be able to draft or sign a big-time pass rusher, but you never know.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Possibly, but even for a backup it isn't crazy money for a young player with experience and upside. 

Thing is the team surely realizes they could do with an upgrade at each tackle position (neither has had a good season for some time now, and those two will count some $20M next year; 70% of that counts towards Ferguson). As much as we'd like to upgrade any upgradeable position on the roster, I don't know that $1M more makes his roster spot more of a priority to upgrade than the other two. It's one thing for any/all of them to be below average players. It's something more to be a below average player and command $5M or $10M salaries. $1.6M is lowly in comparison, and isn't even a kooky amount for a backup to both guard spots in the event they sign/draft someone better to start. 

If anything, I'd be working hard to find a replacement for Breno and an heir apparent for D'Brick before I'd be worried about Winters. That doesn't mean they shouldn't look to upgrade every position, but they need to prioritize in the process because of the lack of salary cap space available.

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Certainly not going to predict what is going to happen with salary cuts next year.  I don't know what Macc thinks of Winters,  If he is happy with what Winters did last year as a starter, for sure Winters  will get his $1.8 M.  If Macc thinks he needs to upgrade the entire right side, I suspect either Dozier, $675,146 or Harrison $525,000 gets the back up spot .

Strongly suspect, if he has improved at all, Qvale will be either the starting RG, or RT next year.  IMO they wanted to do that  this year, and gave Qvale a  lot of reps with the 1st at both RG and RT in mini camp, and early summer camp.  Just seemed to be to inconsistent.

Think it's very possible that if Winters looses his starting job, he may also lose his roster spot.    We'll see this sumer

1 hour ago, faba said:

Winters showed improvement this year at 1.6 he still is not that expensive on a group that has two high salaries on it . If we want to upgrade at  right tackle that is going to cost two so it works for me right now

Cutting Giacomini saves us about $3 mil.  Cut him and sign Andre Smith or Joe Barksdale to start at RT.

I thought that Winters was much improved last season. When penetration came through the middle it was usually Mangold who was smashed. If Qvale is to start next season, most teams will attack the Jets from his side. Denver crushed the right side of the Pasts and the Panthers in the playoffs and SB.

The Jets have a 2/3 year rebuilding job here.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

i thought the RT was the bigger problem.  

It is.  

I'm a Winters-hater but I have to say he looked surprisingly decent last year and he's cheap.  Colon is probably done so Winters is probably the starting RG

On February 3, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Snell41 said:

Drew Brees is useless at this point in terms of another team signing him.  Learning a new offense, at 38/39 years old?  Playing outside, in the cold?  No thanks.

30 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Certainly not going to predict what is going to happen with salary cuts next year.  I don't know what Macc thinks of Winters,  If he is happy with what Winters did last year as a starter, for sure Winters  will get his $1.8 M.  If Macc thinks he needs to upgrade the entire right side, I suspect either Dozier, $675,146 or Harrison $525,000 gets the back up spot .

Strongly suspect, if he has improved at all, Qvale will be either the starting RG, or RT next year.  IMO they wanted to do that  this year, and gave Qvale a  lot of reps with the 1st at both RG and RT in mini camp, and early summer camp.  Just seemed to be to inconsistent.

Think it's very possible that if Winters looses his starting job, he may also lose his roster spot.    We'll see this sumer

I think it goes without saying that, in the absence of signing a FA or drafting a guard very high, all of them (and maybe more) will be duking it out for the starting job. It is possible, though, that even if Winters loses, he is retained as backup to two guard positions. Also, in the event he isn't the starter, don't discount the possibility that he freely accepts a pay cut in exchange for not getting cut.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agreed.

Performance minutes divided by the player salary gives a very efficient use of our cap dollars in this case.  Extremely efficient even. None of which means those dollars will be well spent elsewhere of course, or that the team can continue to suffer on the field if Winters' play becomes relatively worse.  Any cap money for any upgrade is money taken away from upgrades elsewhere. 

If we are awash in cap dollars or Brimming with draft and undrafted young talent then this would certainly be a different story.

Time for a well thought out (and lucky) off season.

He deserves it IMO. His career has really been a baptism by fire. He had to replace Vladimir Ducasse when he clearly was not ready. He was probably the very reason why we lost to the Eagles earlier this season. He replaced Willie Colon for one game prior to him taking over for Colon when he went down for the season. He's had it tough because Jets management has been poor in picking Olinemen since pretty much 2006.

But his play really picked up as the season wore on. I think this raise is well deserved. I don't know if he's ultimately the solution at Guard, but at the very least he's good depth.

13 hours ago, EM31 said:

Agreed.

Performance minutes divided by the player salary gives a very efficient use of our cap dollars in this case.  Extremely efficient even. None of which means those dollars will be well spent elsewhere of course, or that the team can continue to suffer on the field if Winters' play becomes relatively worse.  Any cap money for any upgrade is money taken away from upgrades elsewhere. 

If we are awash in cap dollars or Brimming with draft and undrafted young talent then this would certainly be a different story.

Time for a well thought out (and lucky) off season.

after reading this I went to over the cap to check, and in fact our cap room is now down to 9.1 m.  

Archived