Ill fated Jets plays that drove you crazy the most...

Beerfish

I have not been a Jet fan nearly as long as most of you but I was just scrolling through wikipedia re the jets 2004 season and a play that almost did me in was listed there.

"The Chargers drove down to the Jets 3-yard line but faced a 4th and goal at the 3. Bree's desperation pass was knocked down for an apparent Jets victory. But a roughing the passer penalty on linebacker Eric Barton gave the Chargers a second chance. The quickly took advantage of the opportunity as Brees found Antonio Gates for a 1-yard touchdown pass to send the game into overtime. "

I don't think I ever been as irate at a player in my life as I was at Barton on that play.  We ended up winning the game and it probably pales in comparison to some of our Qb lead implosions.  It took me days to cool off.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I have not been a Jet fan nearly as long as most of you but I was just scrolling through wikipedia re the jets 2004 season and a play that almost did me in was listed there.

"The Chargers drove down to the Jets 3-yard line but faced a 4th and goal at the 3. Bree's desperation pass was knocked down for an apparent Jets victory. But a roughing the passer penalty on linebacker Eric Barton gave the Chargers a second chance. The quickly took advantage of the opportunity as Brees found Antonio Gates for a 1-yard touchdown pass to send the game into overtime. "

I don't think I ever been as irate at a player in my life as I was at Barton on that play.  We ended up winning the game and it probably pales in comparison to some of our Qb lead implosions.  It took me days to cool off.

that play was bad but ultimately we won so it didn't hurt us. 

In my lifetime of watching the Jets:

1981- Todd picked off by Bill Simpson at the GL going in for the winning TD in the WC game

1982- Todd to Duhe

1993- Cary Blanchard missing 3 FGs at Buffalo

1994- fake spike

1997- Leon Johnson halfback pass/ray Lucas option pass at detroit

1998- Elway to McCaffery after we took the 10-0 lead in the title game

2000- John Hall missed chip shot vs. det

2002- INT at end of 3rd at oak in div rd

2004- doug brien

2008- Brett favre

2009- Manning to Austin Collie after we had taken a 17-6 lead

2010- the final Pitt 3rd down

2011- Victor Cruz 99 yds

2015- Fitz INT in EZ

That play on the goalline in the AFC championship against Pitt still kills me.

Shonn Greene was being a beast on that last drive and we decided to hand it to Ladanian....Jesus Christ I think we would of beat the Packers in the Super bowl that year tbh, the crazy part is we had just handled the Steelers a few weeks earlier to that game

In no particular order:

*Any play that involved Tim Tebow, with the exception of the fake punt against Miami, would make my list.

*The halfback option pass by Leon Johnson against the Lions in 1997.

*Gastineau's roughing the passer penalty against the Browns in the AFC Divisional playoffs in '87.

*The entire "Mud Bowl."

*Testaverde's ruptured Achilles in the '99 home opener.

*Dan Marino's fake spike.

*The signing of Michael Vick.

*Richie Anderson's fumble in the 4th quarter of the AFC Championship Game against the Broncos.

*The Dennis Byrd and Scott Mersereau collision in '92.

I could go on for hours here, so I'll stop with that.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

1981- Todd picked off by Bill Simpson at the GL going in for the winning TD in the WC game

1982- Todd to Duhe

1993- Cary Blanchard missing 3 FGs at Buffalo

1994- fake spike

1997- Leon Johnson halfback pass/ray Lucas option pass at detroit

1998- Elway to McCaffery after we took the 10-0 lead in the title game

2000- John Hall missed chip shot vs. det

2002- INT at end of 3rd at oak in div rd

2004- doug brien

2008- Brett favre

2009- Manning to Austin Collie after we had taken a 17-6 lead

2010- the final Pitt 3rd down

2011- Victor Cruz 99 yds

2015- Fitz INT in EZ

Nice list .... well, not so nice, but you get the point. Oh the pain!!!

It's funny that guys list Doug Brien. Doug Brien wasn't the issue. Doug Brien always had a weak leg, there was nothing new there. He was accurate as hell within 40. He just missed a 47 yarder short. You have the most conservative QB in the history of QB, and you decide instead of trying to let Chad throw a 5-6 yard pass to get us a little closer, you blast Curtis and Jordan into a brick wall 2 consecutive plays and then KNEEL the ball to lose a yard so you can send your weak legged kicker to go out and try another kick at w distance that had never been made in that stadium!!

FFS Even if we left 40 seconds on the clock and made a 39/40 yarder Ben was doing NOTHING that game. There's almost every likelihood that we would have stopped them from scoring with 40 seconds left. Time wasn't premium, yards were. **** you Herm!!!! **** YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Colgateman said:

and that Sanchez fumble call was bullsh*t, the Same sh*t happens to Brady, Rodgers, and big Ben every season but none of them get called a fumble.

are you talking about the one at Pitt in the title game?

15 hours ago, jetfuel said:

In no particular order:

*Any play that involved Tim Tebow, with the exception of the fake punt against Miami, would make my list.

*Gastineau's roughing the passer penalty against the Browns in the AFC Divisional playoffs in '87.

*The entire "Mud Bowl."

*Richie Anderson's fumble in the 4th quarter of the AFC Championship Game against the Broncos.

The '98 AFC Championship game featured so many TOs, I think we had 6.  we gave that game away.

The fake spike was very painful at the time BUT I think in the long run of the franchise it helped us.  we had been yo-yoing and teasing by coming close to the playoffs, that play sent us on a spiral that eventually led to us bottoming out and made Leon hess finally do something bold which was get bill parcells which started a run of us being one of the better teams in the AFC until about 2011 or so.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Every play Sanchez made vs Atlanta in his rookie year, and speaking of the last 10 years of QB play in Jetsland, we have to include;

"Redzone interceptions", especially on tricks plays like the one in Balt a few years ago

I am sure there is a stat somewhere, Jets could lead the league

even the 65 yard TD?  that was a brutal day weather wise which killed both offenses. 

That Lamont halfback pass vs. Baltimore in 2004 was brutal.

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Keith Byers fumble in the AFC championship game vs. Denver.  For some reason that play has stuck with me...

It was relatively early in the game, but the Jets win that game if he doesn't fumble there. And we would have killed Atlanta in the SB...

In a game full of TOs that one was really bad.  it's so frustrating to look back at that 1998 title game.  we gave that game away.

8 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

It's funny that guys list Doug Brien. Doug Brien wasn't the issue. Doug Brien always had a weak leg, there was nothing new there. He was accurate as hell within 40. He just missed a 47 yarder short. You have the most conservative QB in the history of QB, and you decide instead of trying to let Chad throw a 5-6 yard pass to get us a little closer, you blast Curtis and Jordan into a brick wall 2 consecutive plays and then KNEEL the ball to lose a yard so you can send your weak legged kicker to go out and try another kick at w distance that had never been made in that stadium!!

FFS Even if we left 40 seconds on the clock and made a 39/40 yarder Ben was doing NOTHING that game. There's almost every likelihood that we would have stopped them from scoring with 40 seconds left. Time wasn't premium, yards were. **** you Herm!!!! **** YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he missed a 47 yarder in the same direction off the goalpost, his next chance was 4 yds closer.  Kick it the same way and we win, he blew that game.

16 hours ago, jetfuel said:

In no particular order:

*The entire "Mud Bowl."

I think Byars had the fumble inside the 5?

I was 17 when Gastineau made that play. I went for a drive and smashed my dashboard. You do stupid things when you're young, but I've never been that mad at the Jets as that day.

24 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I was 17 when Gastineau made that play. I went for a drive and smashed my dashboard. You do stupid things when you're young, but I've never been that mad at the Jets as that day.

The Byars play was in the first half and was around the 10 of Denver.  I don't recall a Richie Anderson fumble, that was when BP never used Richie.  we had 6 TOs:

Curtis fumbled

Byars fumbled

Meggett never fielded a KO

Van Dyke fumbled

Vinny threw 2 late INTs

The Gastineau play was bad but they were still deep in NYJ territory after the 1st down, have to make a stop and then our O had a million chances an failed.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

are you talking about the one at Pitt in the title game?

The '98 AFC Championship game featured so many TOs, I think we had 6.  we gave that game away.

The fake spike was very painful at the time BUT I think in the long run of the franchise it helped us.  we had been yo-yoing and teasing by coming close to the playoffs, that play sent us on a spiral that eventually led to us bottoming out and made Leon hess finally do something bold which was get bill parcells which started a run of us being one of the better teams in the AFC until about 2011 or so.

even the 65 yard TD?  that was a brutal day weather wise which killed both offenses. 

That Lamont halfback pass vs. Baltimore in 2004 was brutal.

In a game full of TOs that one was really bad.  it's so frustrating to look back at that 1998 title game.  we gave that game away.

Yeah the one in the Pitt title game, 

Just now, Colgateman said:

Yeah the one in the Pitt title game, 

I thought it was a pass too, it was really close.  if they rule it a pass on the field there's no way they overturn but, of course, they ruled it a fumble.  The reality is as bad as that play was it didn't kill us.  It was 17-0 at the time, had they ruled it incomplete we have to punt and Pitt gets great FP near midfield and likely gets a FG so instead of being down by 21 at the half(24-3) we would have been down 20-0.  essentially the same difference.  I just wish we could have stopped Pitt and forced a punt after we pulled w/in 5. 

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I thought it was a pass too, it was really close.  if they rule it a pass on the field there's no way they overturn but, of course, they ruled it a fumble.  The reality is as bad as that play was it didn't kill us.  It was 17-0 at the time, had they ruled it incomplete we have to punt and Pitt gets great FP near midfield and likely gets a FG so instead of being down by 21 at the half(24-3) we would have been down 20-0.  essentially the same difference.  I just wish we could have stopped Pitt and forced a punt after we pulled w/in 5. 

Yeah, the fumble didn't lose the game for us, it was Bart Scott getting ran over by Rashad mendenhall that did, the D played terrible the first half

Just now, Colgateman said:

Yeah, the fumble didn't lose the game for us, it was Bart Scott getting ran over by Rashad mendenhall that did, the D played terrible the first half

that first half was brutal.  the tone of the game was set on that 1st drive, they ran it down our throats.  we even had a big replay reversal go our way and they couldn't take advantage.  almost 10 min TD drive to start the game.

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No particular order

Gastineau roughing the passer Cleveland playoff game

Denver AFC KO that hung up in the wind forever, hit a Jet in the back and recovered by Denver (This one is the worst...still haunts me...I can literally visualize the ball hanging in the air.

Decision to settle for a 40 yard FG against Pit when there was time to move closer and your kicker just missed one that was practically the same distance.

Blair Thomas implosion against Chicago in OT.

Sure I can think of more if I wanted to, but you have already depressed me enough for the day.

17 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Not as bad as some of the others but -  2006 Chris Baker game-tying TD vs. the Browns that the refs didn't call a force out because the play was not reviewable. Had me steamed for a few weeks. 

Was at that game in cleveland... horrible.

18 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Not as bad as some of the others but -  2006 Chris Baker game-tying TD vs. the Browns that the refs didn't call a force out because the play was not reviewable. Had me steamed for a few weeks. 

we got screwed that day but luckily it didn't end up hurting us. 

20 hours ago, nyjunc said:

1981- Todd picked off by Bill Simpson at the GL going in for the winning TD in the WC game ****

1982- Todd to Duhe *****

1993- Cary Blanchard missing 3 FGs at Buffalo ****

1994- fake spike ****

1997- Leon Johnson halfback pass/ray Lucas option pass at detroit  NO Memory

1998- Elway to McCaffery after we took the 10-0 lead in the title game *****

2000- John Hall missed chip shot vs. det   *****

2002- INT at end of 3rd at oak in div rd  *****

2004- doug brien *****

2008- Brett favre *****

2009- Manning to Austin Collie after we had taken a 17-6 lead *****  Thanks REX

2010- the final Pitt 3rd down  *****  Thanks REX

2011- Victor Cruz 99 yds  *****  Fukk youTanny

2015- Fitz INT in EZ ****

Tebow walking through us in 2011 after Eric Smith missed tackle.

The Simpson INT was so frustrating because we were down BIG and came back.

The **** above is all plays I remember vividly.

2 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

You're right, it was Byars. Alex Van Dyke and Curtis Martin also had big fumbles in that game ... another disaster of a game in Jets history 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The Byars play was in the first half and was around the 10 of Denver.  I don't recall a Richie Anderson fumble, that was when BP never used Richie.  we had 6 TOs:

Curtis fumbled

Byars fumbled

Meggett never fielded a KO

Van Dyke fumbled

Vinny threw 2 late INTs

The Gastineau play was bad but they were still deep in NYJ territory after the 1st down, have to make a stop and then our O had a million chances an failed.

I didnt remember Anderson fumbling either. The Gastineau play lost the game. That was third down, game over. Both kickers were awful that day though.

Everybody points to the Gastineau hit, to me that was just another play in a long line of bad plays, bad luck that happened that day. That game was handed over to the Browns 10 times over.  

The worst play of that game, the most inexcusable was Walton asking lead foot O'Brien to run on a 3rd down conversion, right at the end of the game with the lead.  The  moron didnt know that back then, if the QB was sacked with under 2 minutes left in the game or half the clock stops.  So instead of running time off the clock, he left the Browns the time they needed for Mosely to tie the game with his FG

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

This is where you and I will always disagree. In the final analysis, it did kill us. It was the last time Pitt scored; the only points we couldn't overcome for the rest of the game, and therefore, the fatal blow. That is the bottom line reality. 

IF it was ruled a pass and IF we punted, ... etc., ... sure if ifs and ands were pots and pans we could've beaten them many different ways.  

Truth is, it wasn't ruled a forward pass cause Sanchez's hand wasn't yet in forward motion. He was in throwing motion but not forward motion. He would've begun forward motion and possibly more - perhaps a completed throw - if snoozing Brick was alert enough to delay Ike Taylor for just a nanosecond. Ike Taylor was virtually untouched.

Many agonizing plays are mentioned in this thread but none came with a price tag as hefty as this one. Forty two years in the making, five years more have passed since we were one TD shy of a SB. This play - 3rd & 17 - was the most painful and costliest, IMO. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-12%20at%2010.41.

The 4th & Goal fail was the second most painful of the AFCC but the OL was simply out-muscled.

They tried and failed, unlike Brick who did absolutely nothing while Taylor blew past him earlier.

The play call was too vanilla; it was exactly what the formation said it was. No WRs spread, nothing to spread or misdirect the D.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-12%20at%2011.55.

7 minutes ago, jetrider said:

This is where you and I will always disagree. In the final analysis, it did kill us. It was the last time Pitt scored; the only points we couldn't overcome for the rest of the game, and therefore, the fatal blow. That is the bottom line reality. 

IF it was ruled a pass and IF we punted, ... etc., ... sure if ifs and ands were pots and pans we could've beaten them many different ways.  

Truth is, it wasn't ruled a forward pass cause Sanchez's hand wasn't yet in forward motion. He was in throwing motion but not forward motion. He would've begun forward motion and possibly more - perhaps a completed throw - if snoozing Brick was alert enough to delay Ike Taylor for just a nanosecond. Ike Taylor was virtually untouched.

Many agonizing plays are mentioned in this thread but none came with a price tag as hefty as this one. Forty two years in the making, five years more have passed since we were one TD shy of a SB. This play - 3rd & 17 - was the most painful and costliest, IMO. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-12%20at%2010.41.

The 4th & Goal fail was the second most painful of the AFCC but the OL was simply out-muscled.

They tried and failed, unlike Brick who did absolutely nothing while Taylor blew past him earlier.

The play call was too vanilla; it was exactly what the formation said it was. No WRs spread, nothing to spread or misdirect the D.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-12%20at%2011.55.

it was going forward, that still doesn't show us anything.  People forget we quickly went down and kicked a Fg to pull w/in 24-3, a 21 pt deficit.  had the play eben ruled incomplete they likely get a FG and we trail 20-0- essentially the same difference.  I don't think that play killed us as stupid as it was to attempt a pass on 3rd and 17.

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it was going forward, that still doesn't show us anything.  People forget we quickly went down and kicked a Fg to pull w/in 24-3, a 21 pt deficit.  had the play eben ruled incomplete they likely get a FG and we trail 20-0- essentially the same difference.  I don't think that play killed us as stupid as it was to attempt a pass on 3rd and 17.

What are you talking about? The ball is clearly out of his hand before the hand goes forward.

Forward begins after 12:00. Vertical. Vertical plane. North. Vertical axis. Whatever you want to call it.  

We had to utilize those two minutes to score a TD after Pitt dominated TOP.

Both Denver and Carolina threw on 3rd downs with under 2:07 in the half with only a 6-point differential last Sunday. 

20 minutes ago, jetrider said:

What are you talking about? The ball is clearly out of his hand before the hand goes forward.

Forward begins after 12:00. Vertical. Vertical plane. North. Vertical axis. Whatever you want to call it.  

We had to utilize those two minutes to score a TD after Pitt dominated TOP.

Both Denver and Carolina threw on 3rd downs with under 2:07 in the half with only a 6-point differential last Sunday. 

you are looking at a still w/o the other still images to compare it to. 

were Denver and Carolina on the road w/ a 3rd and 17 trailing 17-0?

Archived