Offseason & Draft (Very Long)

BrickTamland

Did this on subway. Forgive miscalculations, which I estimated, and typos.

---

Currently on books: ~$147,000,000

Expected cap 2016: ~$153,000,000

---

Re-Structure / Cuts:

I think we can get Brick to take a pay cut of 2-3 mil off of his current cap hit, without converting any salary to bonus. He is not going to live up to his 14mil hit of this year and he won't get paid as much in the open market. 

Cut Cromartie to save 8 mil.

Cut Cumberland to save 1.9mil.

Cut Kerley to save 1.3mil.

Cut Giacomini to save 5.4mil.

Low-level cuts at the bottom of the roster can free up something in the vicinity of 4mil.

---

Our #: $123,000,000

Projected cap: $153,000,000

Updated cap room: $30,000,000

---

Signing own FA:

(For contract breakdowns I'll say the total amount, then the guaranteed money over the course of the the entire contract, then I will break down the hit over each year of the contract-- that number includes both the salary and the bonus for that year).

Sign and trade Mo to the highest bidder...should fetch us a late 1st...I just chose #26 arbitrarily.

Sign Fitz to about 2years, 18mil (10mil guaranteed)(8 / 10)

Sign Bilal Powell to about 2 years, 7.5mil (4mil guaranteed)(3.5 / 4)

Sign Damon Harrison to about 4 years, 30mil (15 guaranteed)(6.5 / 7.5 / 7.5 / 8.5)

---

FA:

Sign Danny Trevathan to about 3 years, 25mil (15 guaranteed). (7 / 8 / 10)

---

Draft:

1.20: Ezekiel Elliot, RB

As a rule, I don't think you should take a RB with a first round pick. But, there are exceptions. I don't see a playmaker who should be taken over Elliot at this point in the draft. Elliot, however, is a a playmaker who can play all three downs, can catch, and we have no starter at the position. He comes in and starts day 1. You're not going to get a top of the line QB this late, so instead we get him someone for our qb to lean on.

1.26: Taylor Decker, OT

Takes over for Breno, who is 30 and not especially good. We get younger on o-line which we obviously need. He helps out our run-blocking which has been poor.

2.20: Braxton Miller

We need WR. Don't let the quality of Marshall/Decker fool you. While you always prefer quality over quantity, you need SOMETHING after you're top 2 playmakers. Kerley will be gone. Enunwa is questionable as to whether he can catch. Smith is injured and didn't show a lot. We need someone else who can make some plays downfield. I also consider Boyd, Doctson, maybe Thomas if they fall.

3.20: Scooby Wright, OLB

Beast playmaker from the LB spot with a ton of energy and willingness to improve. Legend in the Pac-12

4.20 Kevin Hogan, QB

Keep taking QBs til you find one. Good size, arm strength, mobile, somewhat pro system at Stanford, well coached.

-----

Offense (main guys):

Brick-Harrison-Mangold-Winters-Decker

Fitz, Petty, Smith, Hogan

Elliot-Powell-Archer-"late round pickup"

Amaro, Enunwa, Saxton

Marshall-Decker-Miller-Enunwa-Smith

---

Defense (main guys):

Richardson-Harrison-Williams

Mauldin-Harris-Trevathan-Wright

Revis-Williams-Skrine-Milliner-McDougle

Gilchrist-Pryor-Jarrett

I always appreciate people doing these as fodder for discussion. That said, here are some of my thoughts:

I'm not sure what "low level" cuts are going to be made to free up 4 million dollars. This team needs depth, cutting viable players just to free cap space doesn't help. I'd need more information on who these cuts are to make a decision on that.

Erin Henderson is almost assured to be back. Not sure Trevathan is the FA they'll go after.

The cornerback position leaves much to be desired. It's basic Revis and some huge question marks. Williams played well in spots, but also got exposed in longer stints. Skrine is an overpaid jag. Milliner will be hurt and couldn't see the field when healthy. McDougle I have some hope for, but he's not an outside corner. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cro back at a reduced rate, as bad as he was last year he showed glimpses of being decent down the stretch. I'm convinced he was injured.

Big Ohio State fan, I take it? That entire draft is a hot mess. I like Decker, but the rest I'm not feeling at all. 1st round running back had better be a franchise changing player. Elliot is good, but not that good.

Jarrett is a free agent, Miles, Martin and Bailey are all cheap and coming back. Safety is actually pretty deep without having to bring Allen or Jarrett back.

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I always appreciate people doing these as fodder for discussion. That said, here are some of my thoughts:

I'm not sure what "low level" cuts are going to be made to free up 4 million dollars. This team needs depth, cutting viable players just to free cap space doesn't help. I'd need more information on who these cuts are to make a decision on that.

Erin Henderson is almost assured to be back. Not sure Trevathan is the FA they'll go after.

The cornerback position leaves much to be desired. It's basic Revis and some huge question marks. Williams played well in spots, but also got exposed in longer stints. Skrine is an overpaid jag. Milliner will be hurt and couldn't see the field when healthy. McDougle I have some hope for, but he's not an outside corner. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cro back at a reduced rate, as bad as he was last year he showed glimpses of being decent down the stretch. I'm convinced he was injured.

Big Ohio State fan, I take it? That entire draft is a hot mess. I like Decker, but the rest I'm not feeling at all. 1st round running back had better be a franchise changing player. Elliot is good, but not that good.

Jarrett is a free agent, Miles, Martin and Bailey are all cheap and coming back. Safety is actually pretty deep without having to bring Allen or Jarrett back.

Thank you.

Nope. I like a few college teams but I hate OSU. They just happen to have tons of quality players. 

Low level players are joe Anderson, chandler worthy, Brandon Bostick, and others that can be found on spotrac.com who are making 500K or a little more who could leave the team tomorrow and nobody would even notice.

I don't want to take a RB in the first either. But I can't talk myself out of it. If he's there I'm taking him unless someone has fallen who I didn't expect to fall. 

Agree on Henderson. I like him.But we might want a starter too. 

Never said they would sign Trevathan. This is fun for me, as a mock that I would enjoy and think would be productive--not a prediction. 

How much money can we put into cbs? Revis and Skrine Make a lot of dough. I don't know that we can afford anything other than a very low level FA. And I don't condone a high pick on a CB this year.

I forgot about Jarrett being a FA. But like you said, safety is basically set. It's why I didn't list those guys you mention.

Archived