OT News and Rumors

KRL

Tony Pauline was the first to mention our interest in James Carpenter last year.  So this is interesting:

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=11257

Recently the New York Jets were linked to quarterback Colin Kaepernick but no one I’ve spoken with, even from Kaepernick’s camp, feel there’s any legitimacy in this potential move. I can say without a doubt general manager Mike Maccagnan is not sitting around admiring the Executive of the Year Award recently handed to him by the PFWA. People I’ve spoken with laud Maccagnan and the Jets for leaving no stone unturned since the end of the season and the team has literally interviewed every player that attended each of January’s All Star games.

I’m told the Jets really like third year offensive tackle Brent Qvale, which could offer them some flexibility at the position. Many believe the team will try and renegotiate the contract of veteran left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson to give themselves more cap space.

Pauline back in February 2015:

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=10459

Over the past 24 hours sources have told me two bits of free agency news. The first is the New York Jets will be in the running for Seattle Seahawks offensive lineman James Carpenter. And the second, which may be old news for some but comes from sources involved in the situation, is the belief that Julius Thomas is done in Denver.

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

Tony Pauline was the first to mention our interest in James Carpenter last year.  So this is interesting:

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=11257

Recently the New York Jets were linked to quarterback Colin Kaepernick but no one I’ve spoken with, even from Kaepernick’s camp, feel there’s any legitimacy in this potential move. I can say without a doubt general manager Mike Maccagnan is not sitting around admiring the Executive of the Year Award recently handed to him by the PFWA. People I’ve spoken with laud Maccagnan and the Jets for leaving no stone unturned since the end of the season and the team has literally interviewed every player that attended each of January’s All Star games.

I’m told the Jets really like third year offensive tackle Brent Qvale, which could offer them some flexibility at the position. Many believe the team will try and renegotiate the contract of veteran left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson to give themselves more cap space.

I remember Qvale was getting reps with the ones at guard during minicamps and early on in training camp, so they obviously see potential in him.

The teams that play RT at LT are looking for a LT the next season.

There have been tons of LT's that are drafted with teams thinking they have their LT only to see that player becomes a RT or guard in short order.

Bricks salary is indeed a real problem that we have to deal with one way or the other but make no mistake it will take a lot of resources and perhaps multi year pain to replace him, even to his current level of play.

37 minutes ago, bitonti said:

qvale is a breno replacement at best. not a Brick replacement. 

and for those who say RT and LT are the same thing, why do the latter get paid twice as much? 

I understand the difference. It is about the production and the value. Breno is what he is for another year. Just how much more will Brick slip even if his salary is reduced? Can the Jets get that type of production (if Brick slips more) from Qvale?

This is a 2/3 year rebuild and it may not be safe to have too many lower priced players on the OL. Breno is younger and more affordable than Brick. I am sure the Jets are wondering about his (Brick) price/production for next season. This is one of the toughest off season decisions. 

I defended the decision to keep Brick last season here on th board. This year it is just not the same for me to do so at his salary and the precipitous drop in play. His footwork just does not allow him to stop the speed rushers or the shifty pass rushers like it once did. He did best Chandler Jones in the home NE game.

He was even over powered at times due to slow feet. This is a business and the Jets want to win. Denver once again proved that D is the key to winning and Jets don't have a Manning at QB.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Left tackles and right tackles are the same thing really. Should probably pay them about the same 

l know left handed QBs are the exception but isn't a RT more important than an LT if you have a lefty QB?  It's all about the blind side.  I wonder if it's considered an asset for a QB to be a lefty as shopping for an RT is probably much easier and cheaper.  Plus you can fill the LT spot w/ someone less expensive.  I've read WRs prefer rightys for familiarity but they should be able to catch the ball regardless of the way it spins.

No surprise that the Kaepernick rumor is BS....makes no sense for him to leave Chip Kelly's system

Dumping Giacomini is a good move, I don't think Qvale could be much worse and would save key money.

Restructuring D'Brick is a must because he's just not worth what he's due to make now.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Cromartie.  Bowles loves him, and Cro loves NY/NJ, his family is well situated here.  Maybe he gets cut and re-signs at a lower rate?

yeah, anyone who paid attention last summer pretty much figured out that either Winters or Breno's job is in jeopardy  from Qvale.  Think they wanted to do it last year, but Qvale just wasn't ready.  He received a lot of reps with the 1's at both RT, and RG.  Played pretty well most of the time, then would have a brain fart.   

Suspect he'll be ready this summer to take over for Breno. 

Archived