Making the case for the enigma that is Christian Hackenberg

Mogglez

I found this excellent video on YouTube that, while pretty long, does an excellent job of breaking down the QB that no one can seem to figure out.

I for one have been a huge fan of the kid since High School and am pretty much in agreement with the guy breaking down this film.  Hackenberg had such an awful situation around him at Penn State and when the combine and pro days roll around, I think he's going to shoot himself into the first two rounds because people will get a much better look at what he's really like.  IF he does impress and that discussion starts to happen, there is no way we can let him fall to 22 where B.O.B will be salivating to grab him.  

Thoughts?

I like the video, but there is no way I take him in the first.  For any of the top 6 or 7 QB prospects, you can nitpick video to show true talent, how teammates screwed them, or perfect throws.  I watched a few of his games, and he's just not a first round QB.  Could he develop?  Absolutely, but so can Petty.  Or Cardale Jones.  I agree Hackenberg has the physical tools but I'm not laying a first round bet on him at all, probably not the second round either.  

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I found this excellent video on YouTube that, while pretty long, does an excellent job of breaking down the QB that no one can seem to figure out.

I for one have been a huge fan of the kid since High School and am pretty much in agreement with the guy breaking down this film.  Hackenberg had such an awful situation around him at Penn State and when the combine and pro days roll around, I think he's going to shoot himself into the first two rounds because people will get a much better look at what he's really like.  IF he does impress and that discussion starts to happen, there is no way we can let him fall to 22 where B.O.B will be salivating to grab him.  

Thoughts?

I really hate Hackenberg's feet. He literally looks like a statute in the pocket and I have serious concerns about his ability to handle an NFL pass rush. Nice arm and size, but that's it. 

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Thoughts?

After watching the Video I was moreso impressed by the Temple defense more then anything. They communicated better then many NFL teams and they were excellent at switching up there looks. 

We have had the 3-4 for so many years but we never enjoyed the beauty of a Linebacker that can rush the passer/Play the run/play in coverage. Having a LB/Safety hybrid at that OLB hopefully is the direction we are going. 

Grabbing 1-2 of them in the draft and Antonio Allen could completely change the look of our defense. 

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Thoughts?

Who did that video?   Guy did an excellent job.  He almost made me a believer.  Almost.   i'd move him up jto the 3rd round

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

Who did that video?   Guy did an excellent job.  He almost made me a believer.  Almost.   i'd move him up jto the 3rd round

He's a guy I've been following on YouTube for a bit now. He does some excellent work. 

Back to Hackenberg....idk lol.  One week I love him, the next I see something in the film that makes me think...."Eh, maybe not.".  Maybe it's got something to do with the fact I bought his hype so early on (high school) and I have a soft spot for specific QBs.  Right now I have him 4th, below Wentz, Goff, and Lynch (although I really don't love Lynch) and I think there is a chance he shoots up after pro days, combine, etc.  I guess time will tell though!

I have made my feeling know about this player to much disdain.  I think this guy reminds me so much of Eli Manning it's ridiculous .  He will break your heart in games with what looks like terrible throws, but he has the talent that will win you a Super Bowl .  If I could, and if Spence is off the board at 20, I would trade down to the end of the 1st day and pick this kid . I would sit him on the bench for a "Red Shirt" rookie season with some Phantom injury and have me my QB of the future .

But that's just me . I only hope the Texans coach don't remember what he had at Happy Valley .

CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG, QB

SCHOOLPENN STATE  |  CONFERENCE: BIG10
COLLEGE EXPERIENCE: JUNIOR  |  HOMETOWN: PALMYRA, VA
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-4 / 236 LBS.

PLAYER OVERVIEW

Hackenberg arrived during a tumultuous stretch in State College as one of the most celebrated recruits in school history.

Since he hit town, people around the Penn State program and the rest of college football have referred to Hackenberg as the "future No. 1 overall pick" due to his NFL size, stature and arm strength. 

As a true freshman under Bill O'Brien, he made some youthful mistakes, but also showed off rare talent for an 18-year-old quarterback, setting a school record with 2,955 passing yards in 2013. 

However, with O'Brien leaving for the NFL the following year, Hackenberg appeared to take a step back in his development and his production dipped in almost every category. He finished the 2014 season with more interceptions (15) than touchdowns (12) and only 55.8 percent completions as he was sacked 44 times. 

Hackenberg was voted a team captain for the second time in 2015, and leaves Penn State with school records for career passing yards (8,457), completions (693) and 300-yard passing games (nine).

A new coaching staff, porous offensive line and the loss of his top receiving target (Allen Robinson) all contributed to Hackenberg's struggles in 2014.

Hackbenberg heads to the NFL as Penn State's all-time leading passer -- 8,457 yards and 48 touchdowns -- with 38 starts in 38 career games

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Ideal physical build and height for the position. Loose and live arm to rip lasers with above average velocity and zip. Effortless deep ball thrower and able to make throws other quarterbacks are physically unable to make. Toughness isn't a question with the size to take consistent punishment and bounce back. 

Quick-footed athlete for his size to easily move in the pocket or stretch his legs and throw from different platforms. Clean footwork in his three-, five- and seven-step drops. Experienced taking snaps under center with pro-style concepts. Two-year team captain (second youngest player to be elected captain in school history) and viewed as a leader in the locker room. 

Well-respected on campus, especially for the way he handled adversity with the sanctions (helped keep the 2013 recruiting class together) and the struggles with the coaching change. Durable and didn't miss a start the last three seasons (21-17 record as a starter). 

WEAKNESSES: Nonexistent feel or awareness in the pocket, struggling to navigate himself around the noise. Slow to process and late reading coverages due to questionable vision. Immature eye use, staring down targets and predetermining throws, which leads to inexplicable decisions. 

Wasn't consistently asked to make whole field reads or work sideline-to-sideline in his progressions. Confidence needs rebuilt. Too relaxed and needs to show more urgency from snap to release. 

Highly inconsistent ball placement and downfield touch, struggling to control his ball speeds. Upper and lower half mechanics are often on different pages, affecting his overall accuracy. Doesn't need to drive his hips to add zip on throws, but improved follow through motion will help his precision. Methodical set-up and delivery, but often out of rhythm. 

Deer in headlights when blitzed - often sees it coming, but doesn't make the proper adjustments pre- or post-snap. Played behind a shaky offensive line (sacked 103 times in his career), but too many of those hits were of his own doing, holding the ball too long and clamming up under pressure. 

Quick-footed athlete for his size, but won't routinely evade pressures with a bad habit of retreating and getting lost. Ball security needs improved (17 career fumbles). Didn't miss a game in college, but missed the second half of his final game in January due to a sprained right shoulder - not considered serious, but needs cleared. Completion percentage dropped each season.

IN OUR VIEW: A three-year starter, Hackenberg had a promising freshman campaign in 2013 under the guidance of Bill O'Brien, but his development regressed with the new coaching staff the past two seasons. He didn't receive much help from his surroundings the past two years with questionable play-calling, inconsistent weapons and a leaky offensive line, but Hackenberg deserves plenty of blame as well. 

Although he has special arm talent, the tape shows flawed decision-making, poor pocket awareness and streaky accuracy due to unstable mechanics. There is no question that Hackenberg will benefit from NFL coaching, but the game still moves at light speed for him and hasn't shown signs of slowing down - is he already damaged goods? 

Overall, the physical traits and arm strength are ideal for the NFL, but Hackenberg doesn't show a natural feel for the game and lacks a strong grasp in three critical areas of playing the position: touch, placement and decision-making.

--Dane Brugler (1/6/16)

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:04 PM, flgreen said:

In the 1st?   Nah, just can't see it.    If he's still around in the the 4th probably 

Agreed. I might be tempted in the 4th round or later. this kid is one of those develop and see if he can play types not a plug and play starter you want in the first three rounds.

Let me see if I can make it live for some of you. What this kid Hackenberg does well already at the college level is what we are hoping Bryce Petty can learn at the pro level. Furthermore, this kid is younger and has  much better Arm talent ..

10 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Let me see if I can make it live for some of you. What this kid Hackenberg does well already at the college level is what we are hoping Bryce Petty can learn at the pro level. Furthermore, this kid is younger and has  much better Arm talent ..

And his weaknesses listed make him sound like Geno Smith. No thanks. 

Archived