Star Wars Episode VIII has begun filming

Larz

7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

That's like saying  Mccagnan has done a good job because hes slightly better than Idzik.....

The Prequels were crap. But at least it was original crap. Disney is just using the Star Wars brand as a cash grab, while bastardizing and neutering the franchise. They were less proud of making a "good" movie than they were of making a movie without a single Leading "white male" character...Because DIVERSITY!

Hooray.  Enjoy Star Wars, The Last Jedi Strikes Back 2!

Staring:

Discount Kiera Knightly!

Black guy!

Gay Latin Wedge!

The tin man's angry Lesbian sister!

And maybe Mark Hamill. For a bit. Playing tall, bearded Yoda. And Blurry Lord Voldemort.... And Emo Vader!

I'd rather have TFA and Rogue One over nothing at all.  And I don't think they were bad. 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:12 PM, adb280z said:

I'd rather have TFA and Rogue One over nothing at all.  And I don't think they were bad. 

TFA sucked.  What a let down.  What the hell was JJ thinking "hey I love A New Hope let me just remake the movie shot for shot!"

I'm hoping Last Jedi is better.  Preview looked promising.

• 5 months later...

meh

I know they are holding the good stuff back for the next one, but very meh

I know nothing could ever match the hype for VII, and this is the dreaded second act, but there remain huge weak spots in poe and Finn and Rey.

so trailers are designed to fool you sometimes, but its pretty clear they are setting up episode 9 as a question of "does Kylo turn Rey to the dark side or does Rey redeem Kylo to the light side?"  (does Luke redeem one but lose the other?)They seem to be pointing to a falling out between Luke and Rey where he may refuse to train her because of what happened to Kylo. I could live with that, just don't make Luke go to the darkside and whatever you do, don't kill him off!

that will depend on disneys strategy, if they will do 9 episodes in lucas' basic framework, and then give us annual spin offs, origin stories, or do they just keep the skywalker story going and just alternate good guys winning and bad guys winning. 

also, lukes comment about "raw strength" really rules out the kenobi bloodlines for Rey. She is a skywalker, descendant of annakin,  either Lukes kid or Kylo's sister.

Kevin smith pointed out the end of the trailer with Rey and Kylo looks like a set-up, as the backgrounds don't seem to be the same place.

I missed the significance of Kylo without his mask. Maybe the whole trailer is a fake out

Guess there is only 1 way to find out

On 10/14/2017 at 1:53 PM, Larz said:

Fascinating. Please elaborate 

sorry it took so long for me to reply.  life has been a bit hectic.  

There is a set of illustrated books called Dark Empire I & II that take place between empire strikes back and return of the jedi.  If you notice, Luke wears a lot of black in return of the Jedi.

4 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

There is a set of illustrated books called Dark Empire I & II that take place between empire strikes back and return of the jedi.  If you notice, Luke wears a lot of black in return of the Jedi.

oh

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:19 PM, whodeawhodat said:

They were actually set after Jedi, but they're not considered canon.

9 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

They were actually set after Jedi, but they're not considered canon.

yeah, i looked at the book and realized that they were talking about han and leigha kids and that wasnt till after Jedi.  wonder if jacen, jaina and anakin are going to make it to the new universe.  was shocked that kylo ren wasnt any of them :huh:

15 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

yeah, i looked at the book and realized that they were talking about han and leigha kids and that wasnt till after Jedi.  wonder if jacen, jaina and anakin are going to make it to the new universe.  was shocked that kylo ren wasnt any of them :huh:

Doubt it. When Disney took over, they decided the entire Expanded Universe was no longer canon.

Though since then they've made Thrawn canon, so you never know in the future.

5 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Doubt it. When Disney took over, they decided the entire Expanded Universe was no longer canon.

Though since then they've made Thrawn canon, so you never know in the future.

We shall see :)

what are your thoughts on Rey.  

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

I wonder if it will outdo the last movie that was out two years ago? That is the question!

It's tracking well but not as well as VII. I think it's at $200 million for opening weekend and then they're relying on the quality of the film for everything after.

The good news in that regard is that they are handing the reigns to Johnson for an entirely separate non-Skywalker trilogy. There is no way they'd do that if they weren't in love with Last Jedi.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/9/16630902/star-wars-new-trilogy-rian-johnson-disney-lucasfilm

On 11/18/2017 at 7:07 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

It's tracking well but not as well as VII. I think it's at $200 million for opening weekend and then they're relying on the quality of the film for everything after.

The good news in that regard is that they are handing the reigns to Johnson for an entirely separate non-Skywalker trilogy. There is no way they'd do that if they weren't in love with Last Jedi.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/9/16630902/star-wars-new-trilogy-rian-johnson-disney-lucasfilm

Agreed.  There's no way they give him his own trilogy if they didn't love what he did with TLJ.  

I've already got my tickets for opening day (the Thursday night showings around me in Denver are already sold out), I've already read a lot of theories online about different ways they could go with the story and what people have been able to piece-together from the trailers and behind-the-scenes footage that has been released - basically I can't f***ing wait.  

For the record I don't understand why so many people are down on Episode VII in this thread.  I grew up a massive Star Wars fan; The Empire Strikes Back is my bible.  The prequels were pretty terrible movies and Episode VII was a return to form.  Was it a rhyme of A New Hope?  Sure.  Is it a perfect movie?  No.  But it felt so much more like the original trilogy than the prequels and was the first meaningful expansion of the Star Wars universe, for me, since Shadows of the Empire on N64.  

I picked up Battlefront 2 on PS4, I've been scouring the internet for spoilers, watching stupid zero-content/clickbaity analysis videos on youtube and now I'm talking about it on a football board... less than a month... your Tauntaun will freeze before you reach the first marker...

On 11/18/2017 at 8:33 PM, Larz said:

does anybody care about this movie ?

I don't even have tickets yet

I've noticed the trailers are getting no buzz

"I care" - easy movie quote from which movie?

have tickets and will take my son on opening night, 3rd year in a row, very cool since I was his age when I watched A New Hope in the theater with my Dad,  the audience stood and applauded when the Death Star exploded! 

The series and the development of these characters have been a lifelong endeavour, will be sad when they kill Luke but that is my expectation... 

Rogue One is my favorite of the new movies

Anakin meets Obi Wan was the best of the prequels IMHO

12 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

"I care" - easy movie quote from which movie?

have tickets and will take my son on opening night, 3rd year in a row, very cool since I was his age when I watched A New Hope in the theater with my Dad,  the audience stood and applauded when the Death Star exploded! 

The series and the development of these characters have been a lifelong endeavour, will be sad when they kill Luke but that is my expectation... 

Rogue One is my favorite of the new movies

Anakin meets Obi Wan was the best of the prequels IMHO

That's the thing. I was 10 in 77, star wars is a part of my whole life too

Without Vader Luke and han it's just another movie

I'm probably making too much out of Hamill's comments but at this point I may not even go unless the word of mouth is amazing

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'm stoked, my son is crazy excited.   I think this one looks like it could be really good.

My theory, Rey is Han and Leia's other kid.   No spoiler, it's just what I think, but I just can't think of who else it could be.

Very possible. Lucas has said star wars is a story about the Skywalker family so Luke's kid still makes the most sense.

She can redeem Luke the way Luke redeemed Anakin

5 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Agreed.  There's no way they give him his own trilogy if they didn't love what he did with TLJ.  

I've already got my tickets for opening day (the Thursday night showings around me in Denver are already sold out), I've already read a lot of theories online about different ways they could go with the story and what people have been able to piece-together from the trailers and behind-the-scenes footage that has been released - basically I can't f***ing wait.  

For the record I don't understand why so many people are down on Episode VII in this thread.  I grew up a massive Star Wars fan; The Empire Strikes Back is my bible.  The prequels were pretty terrible movies and Episode VII was a return to form.  Was it a rhyme of A New Hope?  Sure.  Is it a perfect movie?  No.  But it felt so much more like the original trilogy than the prequels and was the first meaningful expansion of the Star Wars universe, for me, since Shadows of the Empire on N64.  

I picked up Battlefront 2 on PS4, I've been scouring the internet for spoilers, watching stupid zero-content/clickbaity analysis videos on youtube and now I'm talking about it on a football board... less than a month... your Tauntaun will freeze before you reach the first marker...

I loved VII. No matter what they put out it was always going to come under a very unfair level of scrutiny. They created a new cast of characters and storyline to care about, that was enough for me. It’s the internet and people love to bitch. I just chalk it up to that. 

We have tix for opening night at the legendary LA Cinerama. I’m stoked. 

• 3 weeks later...

Now they are teasing Rey VS luke

I understand they have to take Luke to a bad place in this movie to set up the next one, but Luke is a sacred character I grew up with, so I am not going to enjoy it 

Early reviews are very positive 

For various bullsh*t reasons I can't see it until the following Friday. 

I will probably have to avoid the entire internet for a week, but please no spoilers in this thread for a week 

On 12/10/2017 at 8:38 PM, Larz said:

Now they are teasing Rey VS luke

I understand they have to take Luke to a bad place in this movie to set up the next one, but Luke is a sacred character I grew up with, so I am not going to enjoy it 

Early reviews are very positive 

For various bullsh*t reasons I can't see it until the following Friday. 

I will probably have to avoid the entire internet for a week, but please no spoilers in this thread for a week 

Wow, that's rough.  I can freely admit, I'm annoyed enough as it is that I simply won't be able to see it Thursday night.  Damn company not planning their party around important world events!  But I'll still be making it Friday afternoon.  I don't think I'd be able to talk to anyone if holding off for a week.  Good luck man.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Certainly glad to hear this, but I will freely admit that I've refused to even read any reviews.  They don't need to sell me, I'm already pumped.

Just read the first sentence of a review, came to my senses and stopped 

This is going to be a tough 10 days, lol

Archived