Yankees tell players to be more like Russell Wilson, less like Cam Newton

AFJF

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637590/article/yankees-to-players-be-less-like-cam-more-like-russell

Spring training is underway for Major League Baseball. Hope is in the air. Bellies are on display From ESPN's Andrew Marchand:Most, if not all, MLB teams have a media training component built into to the their spring programs in Florida and Arizona. The New York Yankees are using the recent behavior of two prominent NFL quarterbacks to better prepare their players for the tabloid onslaught to come.

During the Yankees' media training, the Super Bowl is being used to portray the right and wrong way to act. Part of a video shown to pitchers and catchers compares how Cam Newton handled hisSuper Bowl loss to the way Russell Wilson dealt with his defeat the previous year.

If you're having trouble placing Wilson's Super Bowl XLIX postgame interview, that's the point. Wilson, never a magnet for controversy unless his thirst for Ciara is involved, answered questions in a post-Malcolm Butler world, accepted blame for the loss, and moved on without incident.

Newton, of course, was a different story.

The Yankees, we surmise, are preaching accountability and the avoidance of behavior that will create superfluous tabloid spectacle. We'll let you know if the Yankees release an internal video onCam's fumble effort.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/23/2016 at 9:13 PM, Maxman said:

Steve Howe never won anything with the Yankees. The 1994 strike robbed him of that chance.

he did help the yanks end the long postseason drought and spent some time on the 1996 team.  I don't think he gets enough credit for teaching Jeter, Pettitte, Mariano how to be true Yankeesbiggrin1.gif

Remember when BB stormed off the field in the Super Bowl with time left on the clock vs. the Giants?

Remember when Brady wouldnt shake the hands of the Seahawks?

Remember when Manning didnt shake the hands of the Saints when he lost the Super Bowl?

Of course you dont, they're white. 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:58 PM, T0mShane said:

Oh Yeah So What Steve Howe Was A Cokehead

by Shaun King

Howe was unreal...dude hadn't pitched in a while, came back to the Yanks, would need 3 or 4 warm up tosses before coming in and throwing gas and dominating.  It was short-lived, but crazy.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Remember when BB stormed off the field in the Super Bowl with time left on the clock vs. the Giants?

Remember when Manning didnt shake the hands of the Saints when he lost the Super Bowl?

yes, all those situations were exactly the same, it's just racism w/ Cam!  just like the racism complaining about his EZ celebrations.

Charles-Barkley-Falling-Asleep-Inside-th

34 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yes, all those situations were exactly the same, it's just racism w/ Cam!  just like the racism complaining about his EZ celebrations.

Charles-Barkley-Falling-Asleep-Inside-th

I'd venture to say those situations were worse.  Much worse.  Especially BB>

Brett Favre runs around the field acting a fool = passion

Cam Newton does it = thug

Why?  Skin color. 

Your denial is cute though.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd venture to say those situations were worse.  Much worse.  Especially BB>

Brett Favre runs around the field acting a fool = passion

Cam Newton does it = thug

Why?  Skin color. 

Your denial is cute though.

stop w/ the lame excuses.  do we forget who made the Cam thing a controversy?  BLACK players and Cam I think had the top selling jersey.  such racism!  there is real racism in the world and in the Country, let's not make things up in situations like this which are not race related.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

stop w/ the lame excuses.  do we forget who made the Cam thing a controversy?  BLACK players and Cam I think had the top selling jersey.  such racism!  there is real racism in the world and in the Country, let's not make things up in situations like this which are not race related.

Right.  Cam is treated just like his white peers.  Good call. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Right.  Cam is treated just like his white peers.  Good call. 

nah, it's just racism that gave him the highest selling jersey and dram those racist black players for complaining about his dancing!  It was racism why he sucked in the SB too, the league didn't want a black QB to win.  Racists!

Just now, nyjunc said:

nah, it's just racism that gave him the highest selling jersey and dram those racist black players for complaining about his dancing!  It was racism why he sucked in the SB too, the league didn't want a black QB to win.  Racists!

Good take.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

nyjunc has a remarkable ability to pick the wrong side of an argument 100 % of the time.  It's astounding.

you have a remarkable ability to be a coward who puts someone on ignore then talks about them all the time.

right or wrong I have strong opinions that are backed up and I am not gutless by running and hiding like certain posters.  there is nothing to suggest Cam was a victim of racism.  It's a pathetic excuse and an insult to those that have truly been victims of racism but as usual you'd rather blindly attack me than actually debate.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Dumb Yankees.  Cam and Russel are both black.

So were the Yankees planning on instituting the new Cam policy before or after they traded for a dude who choked out his girlfriend and then shot up his garage?

And the Steinbrenners thinking they're in a position to tell players how to act with some class while they're paying ARod $42 million for the next two years is rich. All while taking their fans for a ride with this ridiculous StubHub nonsense.

Yankee way. Right. Hypocrites. Get bent.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Watch out, you're going to get accused of playing "the race card" even though you aren't wrong.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Poor little Cam and his MVP trophy. The world is out to get him. Perhaps if he acted a little more mature and didn't beg for the spotlight after every 1st down rush he would be treated more like Russell Wilson who, by the way, is also black. This isn't a black/white thing, this is Cam/Manziel thing.  You beg for attention when things are going good  you better expect the negative attention when things go bad. 

Bbbbut, Racism!!! Right?

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Poor little Cam and his MVP trophy. The world is out to get him. Perhaps if he acted a little more mature and didn't beg for the spotlight after every 1st down rush he would be treated more like Russell Wilson who, by the way, is also black. This isn't a black/white thing, this is Cam/Manziel thing.  You beg for attention when things are going good  you better expect the negative attention when things go bad. 

Bbbbut, Racism!!! Right?

Oh it's a Cam/Manziel thing.  Gotcha.  My bad.

You probably loved Brett Favre. 

From the Yankees side of I think it is more about maturity than it is anything else.

Russell Wilson is at this stage is probably more mature and know how to handle things in a professional way than probably 98% of the NFL.

It is something Cam has yet to figure out. He took alot of heat for the way he acted after losses early in his career. Give him some time and he will learn how to handle things like that.

I do think though that race is involved at times with Cam. Gronk goes on a party cruise where he is offering couples $10,000 to have sex in front of everybody and Gambling that is "Gronk being Gronk" If Cam did that they would be in Goodell's office facing looking at a suspension for "Conduct Detrimental to the League"

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh it's a Cam/Manziel thing.  Gotcha.  My bad.

You probably loved Brett Favre. 

Who didn't like Favre? And I also like Cam Newton. He is a great player. I just don't see the world through "OMG everyone's racist" glasses. Sometimes people deserve to be bashed, white or black. 

11 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I do think though that race is involved at times with Cam. Gronk goes on a party cruise where he is offering couples $10,000 to have sex in front of everybody and Gambling that is "Gronk being Gronk" If Cam did that they would be in Goodell's office facing looking at a suspension for "Conduct Detrimental to the League"

No way, man.  Cam brings it on himself.  lol

Of course their is a double standard and race plays a factor, its ridiculously obvious to anyone paying attention.

Just now, JiF said:

No way, man.  Cam brings it on himself.  lol

Of course their is a double standard and race plays a factor, its ridiculously obvious to anyone pay attention.

there wasn't anything racist with Cam, it was all made up nonsense.  he won the MVP, he has #1 selling jersey.  B/c one loon senior citizen wrote a letter is not an example of widespread racism regarding Cam.  he's one of the most popular players in the league and in sports.  the controversy was started by BLACK Tennessee Titan players complaining about his celebrations.  Cam responded w/ "if you don't like it keep me out of the EZ"- Denver did that and cam reacted poorly.  he deserved to be criticized for walking off the podium, has nothing to do w/ race.

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who didn't like Favre? And I also like Cam Newton. He is a great player. I just don't see the world through "OMG everyone's racist" glasses. Sometimes people deserve to be bashed, white or black. 

I hated Favre.  

And I dont either but this situation is clear as day.  Blatantly obvious.  You chose to ignore it.  All good.  Different strokes for different folks. 

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

there wasn't anything racist with Cam, it was all made up nonsense.  he won the MVP, he has #1 selling jersey.  B/c one loon senior citizen wrote a letter is not an example of widespread racism regarding Cam.  he's one of the most popular players in the league and in sports.  the controversy was started by BLACK Tennessee Titan players complaining about his celebrations.  Cam responded w/ "if you don't like it keep me out of the EZ"- Denver did that and cam reacted poorly.  he deserved to be criticized for walking off the podium, has nothing to do w/ race.

BB does it, no problem.

Brady does it, no problem.

Manning does it, no problem.

Cam does it, problem.

You see it your way, I see it mine.  Thanks for your take on the situation. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

BB does it, no problem.

Cam does it, problem.

Cam is scrutinized completely differently than other QBs.  Its a fact.  

1 minute ago, JiF said:

BB does it, no problem.

Cam does it, problem.

I am sure at the time it was discussed but show the evidence? which one of them walked off a podium?

looking it up it sounds like it was a big deal that BB left:  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/bill-belichick-early-exit-field-media-talk-article-1.308835

but he stood up at his PC and didn't walk out.

the Brady example is that when Sherman got in his face and started taunting him when he went to shake hands?

Archived