• The Who
    • The Who by a WIDE Margin

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Trick question. Neither. :)

You were very nearly my first neg rep.

As for the question:  It's apples and oranges.  Or in this case, "leapers" and heroin.

Both bands have virtuosos (rock music virtuosos) on every instrument, including voice.  Plus, they have written/performed albums which are still relevant, if not perfect, today.

I've seen both bands several times during their heyday.  Gun to my head, I'd say The Who were better in concert.  Certainly more entertaining with Townshend and Moon being insane.  Although, I remember Zeppelin being the first hard rock band to do an entirely acoustic set.  Way before "Unplugged" was a concept.

This is a tough one for me because while I am a bigger Who fan than a Zeppelin fan and don't think Zeppelin (or half of rock and roll for the last 45 years for that matter) happens without The Who, Zeppelin is simply amazing. Did they ever record a bad song? Did they ever record a mediocre song? The worst of Zeppelin is still compelling in some way. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

One of my life's regrets is that I'll never see Led Zeppelin or Queen play live. The Who was kinda bullsh*t because Daltrey was a pop star. 

You almost joined Max as my second neg rep.  Go do some research on Daltry.  The guy was a complete badass, especially during The Who's 60s and 70s era.  Daltry was a tough "bloke" who fought fans and even knocked out Townshend once when Pete took an ill advised swing at him.  

The only time one could consider Daltry a "pop star" was after the awful movie version of "Tommy".  And that was very short lived.  The Who went back on the road and continued to rock and smash stuff.

One of my life's regrets is that I'll never see Led Zeppelin or Queen play live. The Who was kinda bullsh*t because Daltrey was a pop star. 

Townshend was worse. Decent guitarist at best who tried covering up for the fact with gimmicky windmills and smashing guitar antics. Plus he wrote 'let my love open the door", which pretty much removes any shred of credibility he ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

PS - the three greatest, most complete albums of all time are The Who's Next, Led Zeppelin 4 and Rush Moving Pictures. 

To the uninitiated, all three albums play like greatest hits records. 

Houses of the Holy operates the same way for me.  The Ocean is maybe my favorite Led Zeppelin song and its the last track of an album.  That's crazy.  I don't care if people want to say Led Zeppelin spent most of their time ripping off blues artists.  Still the greatest band of all-time after The Beatles.

I know, I know, 80 has no musical taste and is making this all up, blah blah blah. 

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

PS - the three greatest, most complete albums of all time are The Who's Next, Led Zeppelin 4 and Rush Moving Pictures. 

When released, "Who's Next" appeared to be them attempting to save Pete's failed "Lifehouse" project.  What emerged is, IMO, their best work.  Still play this record at least once a week.  

Kleck, "Moving Pictures" is a masterwork that still blows me away.  

3 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

I'd through Appetite for Destruction in there. Not only because it's fantastic but it was Guns n' Roses debut album. Good lord.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Houses of the Holy operates the same way for me.  The Ocean is maybe my favorite Led Zeppelin song and its the last track of an album.  That's crazy. 

I know, I know, 80 has no musical taste and is making this all up, blah blah blah. 

Houses of the Holy is fantastic. It contains my favorite Zep song, "Over the Hills and Far Away." Just so great.

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'd through Appetite for Destruction in there. Not only because it's fantastic but it was Guns n' Roses debut album. Good lord.

Houses of the Holy is fantastic. It contains my favorite Zep song, "Over the Hills and Far Away." Just so great.

Love the slow buildup of that song.  Just awesome. 

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Houses of the Holy operates the same way for me.  The Ocean is maybe my favorite Led Zeppelin song and its the last track of an album.  That's crazy.  I don't care if people want to say Led Zeppelin spent most of their time ripping off blues artists.  Still the greatest band of all-time after The Beatles.

To be fair, Physical Graffiti is my favorite Zeppelin album and it includes my favorite Zeppelin song - "In My Time of Dying" I also love "In the Light." 

As a passionate punk rock fan, it all began with The Who.  But they did some weird sh*t that just didnt register with me.  Lets just say this, I'll hit skip quite a bit if I'm just rolling through random songs by The Who. 

Zep on the other hand, I dont think there is a bad song in their entire catalog.  I could hit random and never hit skip.  Plus, they had Jimmy Page and that's just not fair.

This is a tough one for me.  Really dont know who I'd pick.  

30 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

To be fair, Physical Graffiti is my favorite Zeppelin album and it includes my favorite Zeppelin song - "In My Time of Dying" I also love "In the Light." 

Just shows how great they were that you can point to multiple transcendent albums and debate which was the best.  All of those first 6 albums were basically amazing.  99 % of bands wish they could have ONE album like that.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's part of Page's genius.  Led Zeppelin, and its construction, was entirely Page's idea from when he left The Yardbirds.   Listen to the difference from Zep I to II.  It's like an entirely different approach.  Many acoustic elements but always with the super heavy backbone. "Ramble On" is a great example of this.  Then, after a folk heavy III, they go on to record "Houses of the Holy" which is a complete departure with it's trippy/psychedelic hard rock.  Wonderful music on every record.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

THIS.  I was a music major in college.  Have a little knowledge here and I agree 100 percent.  Im not even a rock fan per se but without Jimmy page, there is no Alex Lifeson, Eddie Van Halen etc. Jimmy Page has been copied by EVERY  guitarist after 1970, no exception. Ive never heard a musician say.. I want to play like 

Townsend.

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

THIS.  I was a music major in college.  Have a little knowledge here and I agree 100 percent.  Im not even a rock fan per se but without Jimmy page, there is no Alex Lifeson, Eddie Van Halen etc. Jimmy Page has been copied by EVERY  guitarist after 1970, no exception. Ive never heard a musician say.. I want to play like 

Townsend.

Then you're not listening.  Almost every rock guitarist wants Pete's rhythm guitar chops.  In the rock idiom, there is no one within a mile of Townshend, especially his strumming hand.

21 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Then you're not listening.  Almost every rock guitarist wants Pete's rhythm guitar chops.  In the rock idiom, there is no one within a mile of Townshend, especially his strumming hand.

18 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

No. 

Hey...what Ive learned is everyone is entitled to like what they like but the reality is Ive played professionally for a long time. I have a degree in music.  This is a no win debate.  High school kids can play Jimmy Page and Townsend. these guys are not technical "Gods". Very solid players no doubt.  Their feel is inspiring.  I like the Who a lot. Love Zeppelin. 

No one within a mile of Townsend?  Thats comical. The distance between all these guys is so slim. 

Wanna see a real guitarist?  This is the type of band I played in from about 19 to 25 or so.  

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Hey...what Ive learned is everyone is entitled to like what they like but the reality is Ive played professionally for a long time. I have a degree in music.  This is a no win debate.  High school kids can play Jimmy Page and Townsend. these guys are not technical "Gods".  Their feel is inspiring.  I like the Who a lot. Love Zeppelin. 

No one within a mile of Townsend?  Thats comical. The distance between all these guys is so slim. 

Wanna see a real guitarist?  This is the type of band I played in from about 19 to 25 or so.  

How did you fight off the groupies? :)

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Hey...what Ive learned is everyone is entitled to like what they like but the reality is Ive played professionally for a long time. I have a degree in music.  This is a no win debate.  High school kids can play Jimmy Page and Townsend. these guys are not technical "Gods". Very solid players no doubt.  Their feel is inspiring.  I like the Who a lot. Love Zeppelin. 

You missed my preface "in the rock idiom".   And I was speaking about rhythm guitar specifically.  I stand by my opinion that Pete is the gold standard in r&r.  Other than that, I agree that there is no winning the Who/Zep argument.  I just give my opinion.  That's all.

Archived