34 members have voted

1. 1. The better band was.......

• Led Zepplin by a WIDE Margin
    • Led Zepplin
    • About Equal
    • The Who
    • The Who by a WIDE Margin

5 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

PS - the three greatest, most complete albums of all time are The Who's Next, Led Zeppelin 4 and Rush Moving Pictures. 

To the uninitiated, all three albums play like greatest hits records. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Hey...what Ive learned is everyone is entitled to like what they like but the reality is Ive played professionally for a long time. I have a degree in music.  This is a no win debate.  High school kids can play Jimmy Page and Townsend. these guys are not technical "Gods". Very solid players no doubt.  Their feel is inspiring.  I like the Who a lot. Love Zeppelin. 

No one within a mile of Townsend?  Thats comical. The distance between all these guys is so slim. 

Wanna see a real guitarist?  This is the type of band I played in from about 19 to 25 or so.  

while I agree with the point of your post, I'm surprised you aren't getting "i used to play minor league BB" blowback

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Hey...what Ive learned is everyone is entitled to like what they like but the reality is Ive played professionally for a long time. I have a degree in music.  This is a no win debate.  High school kids can play Jimmy Page and Townsend. these guys are not technical "Gods". Very solid players no doubt.  Their feel is inspiring.  I like the Who a lot. Love Zeppelin. 

No one within a mile of Townsend?  Thats comical. The distance between all these guys is so slim. 

Wanna see a real guitarist?  This is the type of band I played in from about 19 to 25 or so.  

So your OPINION is somehow more valid than anyone else's?

36 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

So your OPINION is somehow more valid than anyone else's?

absolutely not....  In fact, loving music, any kind, is kinda special.  I hated the Ramones when I was in high school.  Now , I sort of admire what they did. We change over time like wine.  I simply never was awstruck by the Who. I like them, Ive seen them.  But they are not life changing for me. Neither was Floyd, for me BUT I absolutely see why they would be for another.

5 hours ago, JiF said:

As a passionate punk rock fan, it all began with The Who.  But they did some weird sh*t that just didnt register with me.  Lets just say this, I'll hit skip quite a bit if I'm just rolling through random songs by The Who. 

Zep on the other hand, I dont think there is a bad song in their entire catalog.  I could hit random and never hit skip.  Plus, they had Jimmy Page and that's just not fair.

This is a tough one for me.  Really dont know who I'd pick.  

I love Zeppelin but they have so many bad songs in a limited catalog that I feel the exact opposite. Of course, I'm a huge Who fan and all things being equal I'd take The Who any day over Zep. Too many mindless stupid songs in their canon for me.

Like them both. But the Who is better, which is no knock. At least 2 people I respect a great deal saw Zep in their prime and were less than impressed; a little too much drugging. By the same token Moon at his end was basically so addled he was barely there. 

Townsend is a better songwriter. "LIve at Leeds" is simply the hardest rocking live album ever made,and "Quadraphenia" in my opinion the best album ever, period. Caveat is opinions are like...body parts

Odd in this comparison that Page tried to steal Moon and Entwistle, who came up with the name.  And he and Townsend have pretty much rarely missed a chance to needle each other since. Despite that Moon and Bonham were great friends(being that their "hobbies" were shared) Daltrey and Plant still are. 

52 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Like them both. But the Who is better, which is no knock. At least 2 people I respect a great deal saw Zep in their prime and were less than impressed; a little too much drugging. By the same token Moon at his end was basically so addled he was barely there. 

Townsend is a better songwriter. "LIve at Leeds" is simply the hardest rocking live album ever made,and "Quadraphenia" in my opinion the best album ever, period. Caveat is opinions are like...body parts

Odd in this comparison that Page tried to steal Moon and Entwistle, who came up with the name.  And he and Townsend have pretty much rarely missed a chance to needle each other since. Despite that Moon and Bonham were great friends(being that their "hobbies" were shared) Daltrey and Plant still are. 

One of the greatest tune in and then tune out albums every made.  From beginning to end so amazing. I saw them in DC few years back do the entire album.  Going end of March to see them again.  First time was in 85?  Been 9 times total. so good. So good.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

"Live at Leeds" still has the most balls to the wall screaming tone/snarl/growl of any live rock album.  Townshend, Entwistle and Moon are playing like there are 10 of them on stage.

"Quadrophenia" is a masterwork of songwriting, musicianship and production.  I have often spent a rainy/snowy afternoon drinking some wine and listening to it.  That said, "Who's Next" is an iconic record.  Top to bottom filled with rock anthems.

It's amusing to me, as a gigging guitarist I put so much time into playing melodic licks and riffs that are complicated and difficult. I look back and think my god that was cool! Then I'm reminded by threads like this that to the average music listener a guy like Townshend hacking away at chords can even be mentioned in the same breath as Jimmy Page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

It's amusing to me, as a gigging guitarist I put so much time into playing melodic licks and riffs that are complicated and difficult. I look back and think my god that was cool! Then I'm reminded by threads like this that to the average music listener a guy like Townshend hacking away at chords can even be mentioned in the same breath as Jimmy Page.

Absofukkinlutely .......    those same guys think David Gilmour should be mentioned in the same breath. 

12 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Tommy

Who's Next

Quadrophenia

Has anyone ever had a three-album stretch of pure awesomeness like that?

And those were sandwiched by The Who Sell Out and The Who By Numbers - both pretty ******* spectacular albums. 

I'm a huge PF fan so the 3rd album kicked my *$$ more than the casual fan ... But I'd put these 4 up:

Dark Side of the Moon

Wish You Were Here

Animals

The Wall

Absofukkinlutely .......    those same guys think David Gilmour should be mentioned in the same breath. 

It does go both ways though, I've hit some pretty bad notes and not a single avg person even notices. It makes me wonder sometimes.

22 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Townshend was worse. Decent guitarist at best who tried covering up for the fact with gimmicky windmills and smashing guitar antics. Plus he wrote 'let my love open the door", which pretty much removes any shred of credibility he ever had.

Watchu tryin to get crazy with us ese. 

I actually loved In Through the Out Door, and was excited to see what direction Led Zeppelin would go in next before Bonham died. I like The Who, but their legacy gets tainted when when you consider the whole Kenny Jones era. Like Led Zep, they should've hung it up when Moon died. Moon was that band. 

That said, I saw The Who last summer at Jazz Fest with Zak Starkey on the drums, and they were great. It's almost like Zak is Moon's kid rather than Ringo's. 

11 hours ago, Snell41 said:

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Another "gigging guitarist's" opinion of Townshend's influence and stature.  

"Alex Lifeson listed "My Generation" as one of the songs that inspired him most in Guitar World magazine. "Pete Townshend is one of my greatest influences," Lifeson said. "More than any other guitarist, he taught me how to play rhythm guitar and demonstrated its importance, particularly in a three-piece band."

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I guess it depends on what you consider "good". Is it speed? Overall sound? Innovation? Chops? Not sure there is a right answer here which makes this argument pointless

Personally my top criteria is having a unique voice. I like guys that that you can tell it's them within a few notes because they don't sound like anyone else (this is over and beyond excessive familiarity, for instance, I think anyone whose heard even a little Jerry knows it's Jerry instantly) . I dismiss a lot of paint by numbers blues based wankers this way

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

"Alex Lifeson listed "My Generation" as one of the songs that inspired him most in Guitar World magazine. "Pete Townshend is one of my greatest influences," Lifeson said. "More than any other guitarist, he taught me how to play rhythm guitar and demonstrated its importance, particularly in a three-piece band."

So we have Pete Townshend to thank for Rush?

**** that guy

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

So we blame Pete?

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

So we have Pete Townshend to thank for Rush?

**** that guy

LOL!  Hey, blow me (j/k).  Lifeson is incredible.

Here's another "know nothing" explaining Pete's influence:

Slash also revealed a love for British blues rock as brought to life by guitar masters
Jeff Beck and Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page. Dubbing Jeff Beck “the best lead guitar of all time”, he goes on to recount how hearing Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love introduced his seven year-old self to the “hedonism that would be the seventies”.

“That introduction where the guitar comes in and then the bass and the drums and everything, was definitely the most primal and most sleazy, sexy kind of thing that I’d ever heard up to that point.”

Slash goes on to name the “underrated” Billy Gibbons Of ZZ Top, blues legends BB King and Albert King, Irish blues-rocker Rory Gallagher, Joe Walsh of The Eagles, former Rolling Stone Mick Taylor and The Who‘s Pete Townshend. “Everybody’s tried to sound like Pete Townshend at some point or another and failed,” he said. “Nobody can play like Pete.”

Read more at http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/slash-names-his-12-best-guitarists-of-all-time/#YuLgTQ9JRTPP3bRK.99

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

No question...    Lifeson and the entire band was heavily influenced by Townsend.  No one is saying he hasn't got a rightful place in rock history. He is a legend.

he is not a top 10 influential rock guitarist  IMO.  

Just now, southparkcpa said:

No question...    Lifeson and the entire band was heavily influenced by Townsend.  No one is saying he hasn't got a rightful place in rock history. He is a legend.

he is not a top 10 influential rock guitarist  IMO.  

Guess I was addressing it more to the "gigging guitarist", who made it sound like Townshend couldn't put two chords together.  That idiocy I can't abide.  Remind me to never attend one of those "gigs".

8 minutes ago, CTM said:

I guess it depends on what you consider "good". Is it speed? Overall sound? Innovation? Chops? Not sure there is a right answer here which makes this argument pointless

Personally my top criteria is having a unique voice. I like guys that that you can tell it's them within a few notes because they don't sound like anyone else (this is over and beyond excessive familiarity, for instance, I think anyone whose heard even a little Jerry knows it's Jerry instantly) . I dismiss a lot of paint by numbers blues based wankers this way

I agree with that.   I tell young "rippers" to listen to Dicky Betts solo on "Blue Sky".  Nothing special, a simple melodic lead over basically a 2 chord /3 chord rythem. But it is perfect.  No one, will put Dicky Betts in a top 100 category.  Nor should they.

Archived