Led Zepplin vs The Who  

34 members have voted

1. 1. The better band was.......

• Led Zepplin by a WIDE Margin
    • Led Zepplin
    • About Equal
    • The Who
    • The Who by a WIDE Margin

It's all kind of interconnected though. Page even toured with the Black Crowes. Saw them (not with Page though) early 1990s and they were great. 

One pet peeve; THE BLUES. Everything in music builds on what came before. Suspect rockers like Jagger and Eric Clapton think that rock is kind of a less than respectable line of work and CONSTANTLY refer back to THE BLUES. Heck, Jagger is RUINING "Vinyl' right now with this nonsense. "Yeah, Mick, let's have ANOTHER interlude of Billie Holliday or Bo Diddley instead of telling the story, GREAT, i guess?". Went to the 9/11 concert and the only worse act than Jay Z was Jagger and Richards playing THE BLUES instead of some hIts. TIME FOR A BEER. t the 1212 cocnert they wised up, but got screwed by promoters that inflicted Kanye West in a manskirt for  a half hour on us   and gave the Stones only 10 minutes.

The blues never crossed over into popular until Elvis and then rock picked up the pieces.They moved the ball. They shouldn't feel the need to apologize.  Some of those guys were great musicians. But bluntly the blues was repetitive, simple, usually downbeat and boring.And some of the blues guys lived off years of reflected glory. And rock owes more to Chuck Berry and Little Richard than any old timey blues guy. Further  the Stones' or the Allmans'  "Midnight Rambler" or the Allmans' "Whipping Post" is better than any of the blues that came before it , and it's not close. Most of the blues is the same bass scale beat that ayn awful bass player like I could play, and some chords most guitar player except really awful ones like I could play  easily. And above all, again, it's DOWN BEAT AND BORING AS HELL.   END OF RANT. 

I'm not gonna address this whole post, and while I do agree I IV V blues can get extremely boring over time (especially when you walk into a bar on open mic night, ugh!!!), there was tons of great blues well before Elvis. It wasn't mainstream because it was black. While guys like Elvis and his mgmt, Zeppelin, and countless others stole it left and right, bands like the Allman's went above and beyond to praise and honor the roots of their music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thread.  Sorry to be so late.  Two of my favorite bands of all time.

Slight preference for me for Led Zeppelin.  Who has a much deeper catalogue but if you ranked my favorite songs from both bands from top to bottom, the top 5 or so at least would all be Led Zep songs.  Plus, as a dedicated amateur drummer, I much prefer John Bonham to Moon (and Jones obviously).   Bonham is among every drummer's favorite drummers for good reason. 

Moon on the other hand has a much spottier following, also for good reason.  With a handful of exceptions (he absolutely rocks the Real Me and is perfectly solid and unobjectionable on hits like Won't Got Fooled Again and Who Are You), I do not enjoy his style at all.   And I find all of his pre-Quadrophenia work to be borderline un-listenable -- during that entire era he sounds to me like a hyperactive 10-year old (and not a particularly musical one at that) banging on trash cans. 

On 9/1/2016 at 0:06 PM, AFCEastFan said:

Great thread.  Sorry to be so late.  Two of my favorite bands of all time.

Slight preference for me for Led Zeppelin.  Who has a much deeper catalogue but if you ranked my favorite songs from both bands from top to bottom, the top 5 or so at least would all be Led Zep songs.  Plus, as a dedicated amateur drummer, I much prefer John Bonham to Moon (and Jones obviously).   Bonham is among every drummer's favorite drummers for good reason. 

Moon on the other hand has a much spottier following, also for good reason.  With a handful of exceptions (he absolutely rocks the Real Me and is perfectly solid and unobjectionable on hits like Won't Got Fooled Again and Who Are You), I do not enjoy his style at all.   And I find all of his pre-Quadrophenia work to be borderline un-listenable -- during that entire era he sounds to me like a hyperactive 10-year old (and not a particularly musical one at that) banging on trash cans. 

its funny as I've gotten to be an old fart, there is one zep song I shy away from because bonhams drums are just so ******* unrelenting, I can't handle it, lol

rock and roll

I remember townshend saying all of moons fills were basically the same one, done to different speeds and flares

Archived