Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On March 4, 2016 at 1:25 AM, BurnleyJet said:

9 Per, anything more is insane for a career back up. 

If we pay Fitz $10 mil or more might as friggin well trade a late rd pick for Kaep who is owed $11.9 mil next season and could be cut after 2016.

The Eagles' decision this week to sign Sam Bradford to a two-year, $36 million contractwasn't a popular one among some fans. But the reality is that good quarterbacks are hard to come by and perhaps that, more than anything else -- including Bradford's lackluster stats -- was the driver of this deal.

Eagles executive V.P. of football operations Howie Roseman was much more diplomatic in his explanation of why Bradford was re-signed, but the underlying message remains the same.“When you're talking about a quarterback, there is no level that you won't pay for a high performance for a quarterback,” Roseman told PFT Live. “In terms of the market and when you look at the options that are there to keep a player from free agency, whether it's a franchise tag or transition tag, one-year deals, from our perspective we wanted to make sure it was more than a one-year deal so that we weren't building our team just for this one year.

"We're trying to look at it over a period of time as we build this team. So it was very important for us to get a multi-year deal, a deal longer than one year, and this was an area right now where you're in a vacuum. Free agency hasn't started, able to come to a decision and for us, and for us it's about what is best for the Philadelphia Eagles not necessarily what's best around the league.”

Roseman added: "We know how hard it is to find a quarterback."And that, more than anything else, is the takeaway. Demand is the salary driver, and there's a scarcity of quarterbacks. That's great news for Bradford, who still has tons of potential but has yet to put it together on the field -- though others around the league are mystified by the Eagles' decision to bring Bradford back.

CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora explains:

Bradford, who many executives and agents believed had little-to-no market outside of Philadelphia, received $22 million guaranteed for one year of work, and the chance to earn $36 million over the next two years (including about $4 million in incentives). This is the same Bradford whom the Rams, who drafted him first overall and remain one of the most quarterback-needy teams in the NFL, were eager to finally part with a year ago rather than have to pay him another $14 million to try to come back off another surgery and believed, ahem, [Nick] Foles to be a more viable option.

When it's all said and done, Bradford, the 2010 first-overall pick, will have raked in $114 million in nine NFL seasons. And that's in light of some truly uninspiring football. According to Football Outsiders' metrics, Bradford ranked 24th in total value among all passers last season, behind the likes of Brian Hoyer, Brock Osweiler and Josh McCown. Silver lining? Bradford ranked ahead of about-to-be-released Johnny Manziel and released-for-oversleeping Ryan Mallett.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25505318/heres-why-the-eagles-just-gave-sam-bradford-a-2-year-36-million-deal

If a team is willing to overpay him, goodbye and give us a comp pick.

Cimini said this and I agree with him (miraculously)

Last year was about getting rid of the circus and restoring credibility to the Jets organization. With a pretty good season, despite no playoffs, mission accomplished.

Now its about bringing in young talent for the future

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If a team is willing to overpay him, goodbye and give us a comp pick.

Cimini said this and I agree with him (miraculously)

Last year was about getting rid of the circus and restoring credibility to the Jets organization. With a pretty good season, despite no playoffs, mission accomplished.

Now its about bringing in young talent for the future

Yep, he had a nice year and I loved the leadership he brought but we can't overvalue the guy and handcuff ourselves for the next two years.  If another team wants to overpay then we look to roll with Geno/Petty and an RG3/Kaepernick type and see if we can maybe catch lightning in a bottle.  I don't want to undervalue the QB position but I also don't want to overpay a journeyman QB coming off a career year when there's a better chance of him regressing.  I've said this before and I'll say it again, it was a nice year coming off a 4-12 season but we didn't win anything, we didn't even make the playoffs so let's stop trying to act like we'll regress back to 4-12 without Fitz.  If we do then we got bigger problems than not resigning a 33 year old QB.

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

How sick would it be if he is and tears it up? He won't but be pretty sweet if he did.

Geno or anyone other than Fitz will get a free ride this year by many because the jets have a 'tough schedule' so how is he expected to win with a 'tough schedule'

8 minutes ago, pointman said:

2/36. LOL. Nope. See ya.

Have to agree.

3 Years, 12 per, 36 mil total.  Yes, I make that deal.  1 year starter, one year transition/insurance, 1 year backup/mentor for Petty (or cutable).

2 for 36, with both years likely guaranteed?  Too much, even for me.

God in Heaven, am I going to have to watch another Geno Smith year?  I have no words.....

Just now, drsamuel84 said:

Yep, he had a nice year and I loved the leadership he brought but we can't overvalue the guy and handcuff ourselves for the next two years.  If another team wants to overpay then we look to roll with Geno/Petty and an RG3/Kaepernick type and see if we can maybe catch lightning in a bottle.  I don't want to undervalue the QB position but I also don't want to overpay a journeyman QB coming off a career year when there's a better chance of him regressing.  I've said this before and I'll say it again, it was a nice year coming off a 4-12 season but we didn't win anything, we didn't even make the playoffs so let's stop trying to act like we'll regress back to 4-12 without Fitz.  If we do then we got bigger problems than not resigning a 33 year old QB.

Hell, if we do we get a high draft pick.

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

How sick would it be if he is and tears it up? He won't but be pretty sweet if he did.

It would be the coolest thing ever to happen to the Jets if Geno turned out to be the real deal. I personally dont think the team would have been much worse with him last season, so I dont think it's out of the question for him to run an effective offense.

Who knows, maybe that year behind Fitz was exactly what he needed. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Geno or anyone other than Fitz will get a free ride this year by many because the jets have a 'tough schedule' so how is he expected to win with a 'tough schedule'

Honestly I think if Geno gets the nod it will be do or die.  No excuses.  Hell, only reason he is getting a shot is because Fitz could not be resigned.  They would owe Geno nothing .  

12 minutes ago, pointman said:

2/36. LOL. Nope. See ya.

The media is a JOKE! Seriously, you give me a scenario or any team giving Fitz 2 years 36 million,lmao, AINT HAPPENING!

Go Mac! Go Bowles! Go Geno if we have to! Go Jets! Say no to a grossly overpaid stop gap 33 year old QB that couldn't make 1 play we needed to get to the playoffs.

There’s not much of substance at the quarterback position in free agency.But one of the best options there seems destined to hit the market Wednesday.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrick are “far apart on a potential deal,” leading to a belief he’d hit the market.

Previously, all indications were that the Jets wanted to bring him back and that he wanted to stay. But with Sam Bradfordgetting an $18 million average on a two-year deal and Kirk Cousins getting franchise-tagged for $19.9 million, it’s likely raised expectations for the 33-year-old Fitzpatrick.

And it should.

When the top options in free agency are Brock Osweiler or Chase Daniel, Fitzpatrick represents a solid, safe alternative to the unknowns.But if the Jets don’t keep him, they’ll find themselves squarely in the market, since they’re not going to go into a season trusting Geno Smith.And with the beginning of the legal tampering period in a few hours, it doesn’t hurt to rattle a few sabers, as part of the natural process of negotiations.

>       http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/07/jets-and-ryan-fitzpatrick-reportedly-far-apart-in-contract-talks/

I agree with the general sentiment in this thread.  Fitz was very good for us last year but we didn't even make the playoffs.

The Jets are nuts if they go over 12 million for Fitz.

18 million is absolute INSANITY!!!!!! You pay that kind of dough for a player who can CARRY a team not manage the game big difference. Double what Brady is making!!!

Good Luck with that Bro...

Just the thought is madness.....

Good Grief....

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

It would be the coolest thing ever to happen to the Jets if Geno turned out to be the real deal. I personally dont think the team would have been much worse with him last season, so I dont think it's out of the question for him to run an effective offense.

It could be.  Especially if he gets to go through the entire pre-season with " the man" status.  He knows what it's like to be the odd man out.  I would rather see that than paying Fitz crazy starter money to eventually return to the mean.  He had the best season of his career life last year and still was not enough for the post season.  I appreciate the season but the Buffalo loss put it in perspective.  

2 at 36. Is this Rapapport's comment or did he hear this from Fitz's camp? I think we aren't contenders next year due to our tough schedule with or without Fitzpatrick. I see no harm riding Geno/Petty next year to see what we have in them. 

The Jets have under 7 million in cap space as of right now.  Do you really want to restructure older players like Tanny did, and hurt signing younger players down the road to give Ryan Fitzpatrick 12+ million for 2 years (cheapest number he will sign at is 12 mill in my opinion)?

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

seriously a really good yr to take a dive, what is 1 more yr of suffering to jets fans. 

On 3/5/2016 at 11:12 AM, drdetroit said:

If we pay Fitz $10 mil or more might as friggin well trade a late rd pick for Kaep who is owed $11.9 mil next season and could be cut after 2016.

I agree. At that point you go with the athletic freak, and run the read option. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

It could be.  Especially if he gets to go through the entire pre-season with " the man" status.  He knows what it's like to be the odd man out.  I would rather see that than paying Fitz crazy starter money to eventually return to the mean.  He had the best season of his career life last year and still was not enough for the post season.  I appreciate the season but the Buffalo loss put it in perspective.  

Last year was a complete and utter waste.  Career year, best offense we've seen in decades, easiest schedule in the league, controlled their own destiny and choked in as beautiful of a Jets fashion imaginable.  Now dont get me wrong, it was enjoyable and I loved rooting for Fitz and his passion but it was all for nothing.

Which brings me back to the preseason arguments I had with 80, what's better?  Going 8-8 or 10-6 and missing the playoffs with Fitz or going 4-12 with Geno and finally either closing that chapter or finding that he can play and record reflected it?  My position was roll with Geno.  Now obviously, he made his own bed but in hindsight, 100% would have preferred that scenario because like predicted, here we are once again talking about Geno ******* Smith.

Jets baby!!!

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Have to agree.

3 Years, 12 per, 36 mil total.  Yes, I make that deal.  1 year starter, one year transition/insurance, 1 year backup/mentor for Petty (or cutable).

2 for 36, with both years likely guaranteed?  Too much, even for me.

God in Heaven, am I going to have to watch another Geno Smith year?  I have no words.....

Take a chance on Kaepernick or RGIII at that point. 

Fitz was good not great. If we lose him it's a step backward. I could see interest from a team like the 49ers if they get rid of Kap. Chip Kelly probably likes his grittiness, intelligence and his ability to run and extend plays. Just speculation. If we lose him I can see them bringing in a lower cost vet to compete with Geno. Like I said a step backward.

Archived