Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/5/2016 at 5:41 PM, NYs Stepchild said:

Yeah he went to the Raiders and promptly went 8-8. Stop trying to pretend you have any objectivity here. 

Fitz went 10-6 so he's obviously better than Gannon was right? 

Brees went 7-9 last year so Fitz is much better than him. 

he promptly made the pro bowl and by year 2 was FIRST team all Pro leading Oakland to a 2 seed and hosting the AFC Championship Game.

Fitz had one of the weakest sched to deal w/ and talent around him gannon could only have dreamed of back then and despite this and the rules now favoring the offenses he couldn't even get us to the WC.

Just stop it please, Fotz is nowhere near Gannon at any point in his career.  you obviously are just looking at out of context stat sheets and never saw Gannon play.  there is a reason NO ONE wanted Fitz this offseason after his "amazing" season for us.  

Just now, nyjunc said:

Just stop it please, Fotz is nowhere near Gannon at any point in his career.  you obviously are just looking at out of context stat sheets and never saw Gannon play.  there is a reason NO ONE wanted Fitz this offseason after his "amazing" season for us.  

Macc and Bowles clearly wanted him.

Which is why he's our Starting QB now.

We may as well hope for the best now.  Same as we'd have had to do if they'd preferred Geno Smith.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Macc and Bowles clearly wanted him.

Which is why he's our Starting QB now.

We may as well hope for the best now.  Same as we'd have had to do if they'd preferred Geno Smith.

I wanted him too, I am glad things got worked out but he was a free agent and no one even gave him an offer.  he is in a perfect situation w/ excellent talent and an OC he knows well.  Teams realize he couldn't duplicate that success in other places and yet w/ everything breaking perfectly in 2015 he still came up short.  I want nothing more than Fitz to be great and to lead us deep into the playoffs but until he does I have questions about him.

Just now, nyjunc said:

I wanted him too, I am glad things got worked out but he was a free agent and no one even gave him an offer.

As far as we know.  I don't presume we know everything.

Just now, nyjunc said:

he is in a perfect situation w/ excellent talent and an OC he knows well.

Agreed.  This is IMO as talented a Jets Offense as we've had since 97', or even 85'. 

Just now, nyjunc said:

Teams realize he couldn't duplicate that success in other places

So you presume.  I don't presume we know everything.

Just now, nyjunc said:

and yet w/ everything breaking perfectly in 2015 he still came up short.

We, as a team, came up short across the board.  The ongoing narrative that the Buffalo game was Fitz's fault is as wrong now as it was after the closing whistle of that game.

Just now, nyjunc said:

I want nothing more than Fitz to be great and to lead us deep into the playoffs but until he does I have questions about him.

Not sure what there is to question, Fitz is what he is.  The expectations on him should be obvious yet realistic for 2016.

He is here to keep us competitive (our best chance to make the postseason in 2016 but no sure thing), and to mentor the real future in Hack and perhaps Petty.  

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As far as we know.  I don't presume we know everything.

Agreed.  This is IMO as talented a Jets Offense as we've had since 97', or even 85'. 

So you presume.  I don't presume we know everything.

We, as a team, came up short across the board.  The ongoing narrative that the Buffalo game was Fitz's fault is as wrong now as it was after the closing whistle of that game.

Not sure what there is to question, Fitz is what he is.  The expectations on him should be obvious yet realistic for 2016.

He is here to keep us competitive (our best chance to make the postseason in 2016 but no sure thing), and to mentor the real future in Hack and perhaps Petty.  

something would have come out and someone would have signed him as he was pissed at the Jets.

I think this O and last year is as talented as I have ever seen.  

if teams thought he was the next Rich Gannon they would have been lining up to offer him deals.

the team came up short but the QB led that team to come up short.  he was awful when we needed him most.  the Buf game was NOT all Fitz's fault but Fitz was brutal that day.

the question is can he play well in true big games? can he get us to the playoffs? then can he win in the playoffs.    he is here to win not keep us competitive.

36 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

something would have come out and someone would have signed him as he was pissed at the Jets.

The way something came out about Mo?

Again, I don't presume I know everything just because the media failed to uncover a story.

For example, we have no idea if Denver offered Fitz a deal, but at a materially lower price than he wanted.  Neither the Broncos nor Fitz have reason to make that fact public.

"Someone would have signed him" implies Fitz had no control....clearly he did, and knew the Jets would pay him the most possible, and was where where wanted to be.  Other teams may have had interest, but not at the value Fitz knew he'd eventually get from the Jets.

For example:  http://larrybrownsports.com/football/broncos-most-interest-ryan-fitzpatrick/296382

the team came up short but the QB led that team to come up short.

I'm not going to waste both of our time on this at this point.  

the question is can he play well in true big games? can he get us to the playoffs? then can he win in the playoffs.    

Based on his history, sorta, no and who knows, he's never been there before.

he is here to win not keep us competitive

Every player is here to win.  Geno Smith is here to win too.  Hope and reality are not always one and the same.  Macc and Bowles clearly believe he gives us the best chance to win.  Chance.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The way something came out about Mo?

Again, I don't presume I know everything just because the media failed to uncover a story.

For example, we have no idea if Denver offered Fitz a deal, but at a materially lower price than he wanted.  Neither the Broncos nor Fitz have reason to make that fact public.

"Someone would have signed him" implies Fitz had no control....clearly he did, and knew the Jets would pay him the most possible, and was where where wanted to be.  Other teams may have had interest, but not at the value Fitz knew he'd eventually get from the Jets.

For example:  http://larrybrownsports.com/football/broncos-most-interest-ryan-fitzpatrick/296382

I'm not going to waste both of our time on this at this point.  

Based on his history, sorta, no and who knows, he's never been there before.

Every player is here to win.  Geno Smith is here to win too.  Hope and reality are not always one and the same.  Macc and Bowles clearly believe he gives us the best chance to win.  Chance.

Mo's negotiation was w/ us.  Fitz could have negotiated w/ anyone and his team would floated stuff out there to pressure the Jets IF he was drawing interest.

if denver offered him lower than what we offered what does that tell you?

Fitz was atrocious at Buffalo, this cannot be debated.

the first time he had a chance to get there he fell flat.

-- Nine days into training camp, after not taking part in any of the team's offseason program, New York Jets quarterbackRyan Fitzpatrick said the rust is off."I feel pretty good right now," Fitzpatrick said after the Jets practiced in front of their fans at their training facility Saturday. "I think we've made some good progress so far, and we're headed in the right direction. We've just got to continue to work and get better every day -- it's definitely been a productive nine days."

Fitzpatrick had a good day on Saturday, unofficially completing 15 of 20 passes with one touchdown and no interceptions. And while Jets coach Todd Bowles was conservative in his evaluation of the quarterback -- "He's catching up," Bowles said -- Fitzpatrick said he was surprised at how good his arm has felt so far.

That raised the question of whether Fitzpatrick's contract hassle with the Jets -- which caused him to miss the entire offseason program before he agreed to a one-year, $12 million deal (with a potential $3 million in incentives) just before training camp -- was a good thing for the 33-year-old, 12-year veteran."I tend not to throw a bunch in the offseason as it is, but obviously, being off for the OTAs and stuff, too, I threw less this offseason than I probably have since before high school," he said.

So the question was posed to him: Maybe you should hold out again and sit out next spring also, Ryan ?

His only answer was a big grin.

rest of above article : 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Mo's negotiation was w/ us.  Fitz could have negotiated w/ anyone and his team would floated stuff out there to pressure the Jets IF he was drawing interest.

It's rather clear that Fitz's primary negotiation was also with us.  He clearly had little interest in other teams, or you'd have seen/heard alot more from his camp in that direct.  We heard nothing in that direction, which is telling.

if denver offered him lower than what we offered what does that tell you?

That Denver valued him less than we did.

Fitz was atrocious at Buffalo, this cannot be debated.

The team was, yes.  As a whole.  We lost because the team was bad.  Everywhere.  QB was one bad in a sea of bad (or hurt).  

the first time he had a chance to get there he fell flat.

And yet here he is, starting QB of the New York Jets again in 2016.

I think this may be a hard year for you as a fan.  

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's rather clear that Fitz's primary negotiation was also with us.  He clearly had little interest in other teams, or you'd have seen/heard alot more from his camp in that direct.  We heard nothing in that direction, which is telling.

That Denver valued him less than we did.

The team was, yes.  As a whole.  We lost because the team was bad.  Everywhere.  QB was one bad in a sea of bad (or hurt).  

And yet here he is, starting QB of the New York Jets again in 2016.

I think this may be a hard year for you as a fan.  

I am sure we were his #1 option, Fitz isn't stupid.  he knows this was his best place to play but he also could have used other teams as leverage against us when we wouldn't give him what he wanted.

the team was awful led by Fitz.  that game was not all his fault but if he plays well we win.

I want nothing more than for Fitz to be in a big game again and come through this time.  I want him to hoist a Lombardi Trophy but I also try to be realistic.  I don't think it will happen but I sure hope to be wrong.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

So the offense that he knows inside out has new plays that he's learning  . Copy that .

The offense needs new plays... If the team  is going to get past buffalo it can't run the usual fitzball gameplan. the reason Rex's defenses are so effective against rookies and QB's like fitz is because it relies heavily on deception and exploits the weaknesses of passers who can't read defenses post-snap. Gailey is going to have to be very creative with this offense if the team wants to get over the hump, and plenty of weapons to help with that as well

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he promptly made the pro bowl and by year 2 was FIRST team all Pro leading Oakland to a 2 seed and hosting the AFC Championship Game.

Fitz had one of the weakest sched to deal w/ and talent around him gannon could only have dreamed of back then and despite this and the rules now favoring the offenses he couldn't even get us to the WC.

I thought wins were important. Now it's pro bowls? How did he make the pro bowl with only 8 wins? 

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I thought wins were important. Now it's pro bowls? How did he make the pro bowl with only 8 wins? 

wins are most important but he did all he could for them and he actually had winning records in the league before he went to Oakland unlike Fitz pre NYJ.  Fitz couldn't even make 7th alternate to the pro bowl b/c all he did was beat bad teams and he choked in our biggest game.  By year 2 Gannon was 1st team all pro- meaning he was the best QB in the game and led his team to the AFC Championship Game.  when Fitz does that this year wmore talent than gannon had in 2000 I will begin to compare the two.  I hope it happens.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

wins are most important but he did all he could for them and he actually had winning records in the league before he went to Oakland unlike Fitz pre NYJ.  Fitz couldn't even make 7th alternate to the pro bowl b/c all he did was beat bad teams and he choked in our biggest game.  By year 2 Gannon was 1st team all pro- meaning he was the best QB in the game and led his team to the AFC Championship Game.  when Fitz does that this year wmore talent than gannon had in 2000 I will begin to compare the two.  I hope it happens.

You went way out of your way to clearly state that wins were the only judge of a QB. 

I give you credit for endurance though. You should run for public office. 

7 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You went way out of your way to clearly state that wins were the only judge of a QB. 

Lolol

26 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I have never said wins are the only judge of a QB, when people start making things up you know you have won.  I value winning but winning to me is at least getting to the playoffs.  Neither QB made the playoffs in their first year w/ Oak/NYJ but Gannon was better and again if Fitz is 1st team all pro and leads us to the title game I'll be glad to eat crow and say they are similar.  Let's see it happen.

On 8/5/2016 at 4:44 PM, nyjunc said:

wins are all that matters, I don't care that he puts up meaningless fantasy #s while not helping teams win.  he has not been better than gannon at any stage of gannon's career.  it's not about carrying a team, Fitz carried nothing last year.  he rode the coattails of Marshall and decker and to compare stats from the 90s to this pass happy era is just flat out silly.  Gannon pre-Oak was loight years better than Fitz pre NYJ and Gannon oak was 2 light years better than Fitz NYJ.

Try again. Did you short circuit, or were you talking past me. 

5 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Try again. Did you short circuit, or were you talking past me. 

ok, Gannon led teams to the div rd, conf title game and Super bowl while being named to two 1st team all pro teams and winning a league MVP award.  Just like Fitz!

Just now, nyjunc said:

ok, Gannon led teams to the div rd, conf title game and Super bowl while being named to two 1st team all pro teams and winning a league MVP award.  Just like Fitz!

8 wins 1st year with team

10 wins 1st year with team

Wins are all that matter. I don't agree with this statement, but I didn't say it. 

22 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

8 wins 1st year with team

10 wins 1st year with team

Wins are all that matter. I don't agree with this statement, but I didn't say it. 

what did we get w/ those 10 wins? the same thing Oak got w/ those 8 wins.  let's see him earn 1st team all pro and lead us to title game.  he should have no problem seeing as he has more talent to throw to than Gannon did in 2000.  Good luck Fitz!

Just now, nyjunc said:

what did we get w/ those 10 wins? the same thing Oak got w/ those 8 wins.  let's see him earn 1st team all pro and lead us to title game.  he should have no problem seeing as he has more talent to throw to than Gannon did in 2000.  Good luck Fitz!

Nothing let setting the "I'll be satisfied when..." bar unrealistically high, eh?

Our options were Fitz, RGIII, Geno and a couple of other nobodies.

Not one of whom is making "1st Team All-Pro and leading us to a Title game" anytime soon most likely.

Like I said, this is going to be a very unhappy year for you I think.  

Just now, Warfish said:

Nothing let setting the "I'll be satisfied when..." bar unrealistically high, eh?

Our options were Fitz, RGIII, Geno and a couple of other nobodies.

Not one of whom is making "1st Team All-Pro and leading us to a Title game" anytime soon most likely.

Like I said, this is going to be a very unhappy year for you I think.  

if he's a Rich Gannon type shouldn't he do Rich Gannon things? I didn't compare him to gannon, I know he's nothing close to Gannon but using the weak arguments of others that they are similar shouldn't the expectations be similar sinc e we have more talent than Oakland 2000?  I am realistic, I am hopeful Fitz can help us to the playoffs, I am not confident but hopeful.   to call him Rich gannon, who was the best QB in the league for a few years, is not realistic.

-- Ryan Fitzpatrick might be "elite" in the eyes of teammate Brandon Marshall, but the New York Jets' quarterback is no such thing in the opinion of NFL types.

Our man Mike Sando has posted his annual quarterback tier rankings, based on a poll of 42 league insiders -- 10 general managers, five head coaches, seven offensive coordinators, five defensive coordinators, eight personnel evaluators and seven other position coaches/executives. They were asked to rate 33 quarterbacks, placing them into one of five tiers. You know the drill: Tier 1 is elite, tier 5 is rock bottom.Fitzpatrick finished in tier 3, defined as: "Legit starter but needs heavy run game/defense to win." He finished 25th out of 33 quarterbacks, behind Ryan Tannehill (24th) and ahead of Tyrod Taylor (26th). Obviously, it wasn't a great showing for the AFC East, except for Tom Brady (first).

An unnamed head coach and offensive coordinator offered their opinions of Fitzpatrick.

The head coach: "He was with Chan Gailey, and Chan is good. If he leaves Chan, he needs to get back to Harvard and redo that degree. Chan has been a football lifesaver."The offensive coordinator: "He has played well, but he just makes those decisions that are head scratchers. Last year, when they had a chance to get into the playoffs if they won the game, that was his chance to be the guy, and he couldn't get it done. He is a great guy, but he has had opportunities everywhere."

That's a rather blunt assessment of Fitzpatrick, whose value to the Jets is greater than anywhere else. He didn't draw any significant interest on the free-agent market, contributing to a long contract dispute. They ended up signing him for $12 million, which, by the way, ranks 23rd in average-per-year among quarterbacks.

>         http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61954/jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-rated-25th-among-qbs-by-nfl-insiders

Rankings season is (thankfully) almost over, since actual, real football season is about to begin. What a novel concept.But if you're craving another rankings list, we've got one for you. ESPN's Mike Sando has published his quarterback tier rankings

There are five tiers, and here is how Sando breaks them down : 

Tier 1: Can carry his team each week. Team wins because of him.

Tier 2: Can carry team sometimes but not as consistently.

Tier 3: Legit starter but needs heavy run game/defense to win.

Tier 4: Might not want this guy starting all 16 games.

Tier 5: Do not think this guy should be starting.

Where does the Jets' Ryan Fitzpatrick fit in? 

Sando has him in Tier 3, at No. 25 overall. 

Here is Sando on Fitzpatrick : 

The pattern is clear for Fitzpatrick wherever he goes. He plays well enough to factor into the starting equation, but his miscues stand out enough for teams to think hard before re-signing him. The Jets did bring back Fitzpatrick, but first they dared him to sign elsewhere."He was with Chan Gailey, and Chan is good," a head coach said. "If he leaves Chan, he needs to get back to Harvard and redo that degree. Chan has been a football lifesaver."

Fitzpatrick threw 31 TDs with 15 INTs on his way to a 63.6 Total QBR, which ranked 12th. But three interceptions with the season on the line in Week 17 affirmed suspicions. An offensive coordinator said he couldn't recall a quarterback as impressive drawing up plays on the whiteboard as Fitzpatrick was coming out of college, but he said Fitzpatrick plays as though he's the only one unaware of his limitations.

"He has played well, but he just makes those decisions that are head scratchers," a different offensive coordinator said. "Last year, when they had a chance to get into the playoffs if they won the game, that was his chance to be the guy, and he couldn't get it done. He is a great guy, but he has had opportunities everywhere."

Do you agree with Sando's ranking of Fitzpatrick? Disagree? Don't care? Sound off in the comments. 

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_ryan_fitzpatrick_is_one_of_nfls_worst_startin.html#incart_river_index

The ESPN Fantasy Football marathon kicks off with an analysis of the New York Jets' quarterback:

Ryan Fitzpatrick

ESPN Fantasy projection: 3,805.5 passing yards, 25.5 TD passes.

Over or under: Coming off a career year, Fitzpatrick will be hard-pressed to duplicate his numbers from last season -- 31 touchdown passes and 3,905 passing yards. It's not because he has regressed as a quarterback, and it's not because his supporting cast is weaker. It's because of the competition. It's fierce. The Jets face six of the top 11 scoring defenses from 2015 and -- oh, by the way -- they will see five of those in the first six weeks of the season. We're talking about theCincinnati Bengals, Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks, Pittsburgh Steelersand Arizona Cardinals. Three of the games are on the road.

In his favor, Fitzpatrick has job security and a coordinator who trusts him and likes to throw the ball. He also has a terrific pair of wideouts, Eric Decker andBrandon Marshall. We're not predicting a huge drop-off for Fitzpatrick, but don't expect another career year.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62082/dont-expect-a-fantasy-encore-for-jets-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-in-2016

. -- Who's the backup? Will Geno Smith get cut? Is Bryce Petty for real? Why isn't Christian Hackenberg playing?

Everybody is so preoccupied with these quarterback-related questions surrounding the New York Jets (yes, I'm guilty of it, too) that we've ignored the main storyline, the most important purpose of the preseason:

Preparing the starting quarterback for the regular season.

Let's not forget, Ryan Fitzpatrick hasn't played a lot of football over the past few months. He missed the offseason (see: contract dispute) and played only 22 snaps in the first two preseason games. Even though that's not an unusually low number, compared to other starters, it's time to rev the engine and get into regular-season mode.

The Jets will go as far as Fitzpatrick takes them, so let's put aside the secondary quarterback matters and focus on No. 1.

Clearly, the starting offense has a ways to go. It generated exactly zero points in three possessions last Friday night against the Washington Redskins. If the objective was to keep it vanilla and lull future opponents into a false sense of confidence, Fitzpatrick & Co. succeeded."It wasn’t as pretty as we would have liked it to be," said Fitzpatrick, who has attempted only 13 passes [seven completions] in the preseason. "The good thing is, we still have a little bit of time to iron some things out. The bad thing is, we didn’t play as crisp or as clean as maybe we should have. It was a nice measuring stick for us. We’ve still got some work to do, obviously, and we have to continue to get better every day."

There's no reason to panic, of course. The preseason is relatively meaningless, especially the first two games. You also have to consider the personnel. The Jets have a seasoned group of players on offense, and they know how to pace themselves through the drudgery of a training camp. One of those players, Matt Forte (hamstring), still hasn't appeared in a game. It's hard to evaluate the offense without Forte, a key piece in the puzzle.After using the first two games for player-evaluation purposes, the Jets will change gears this week for the New York Giants. The starters probably will play into the second half, and there could be a cameo appearance by Forte, whose practice load has increased in recent days.

"It’s a little bit more of a dress rehearsal in terms of what we want to do and be during the regular season," Fitzpatrick said. "We know we’re going to get more time out there, so we’d like to get into a better rhythm and get some first downs, get some drives going and just put some points on the board. Same thing with the no injuries: You don’t want them in the preseason. And some touchdowns and no turnovers, that would be awesome."

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62361/forget-the-backups-lets-not-overlook-the-jets-most-important-quarterback

Archived