Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-- If Ryan Fitzpatrick has thumb surgery on Friday -- and it certainly appears he's leaning that way -- he hopes to back in time for the New York Jets' next game, Nov. 22 against the Houston Texans.

So relax, folks. Don't be freaked out by the words "starting quarterback" and "surgery" in the same sentence.

"It depends on when I have it, but I think I still could be able to play with a brace if I did have it (during the season)," Fitzpatrick said Monday after a light practice.

Fitzpatrick was cagey on whether the surgery will happen Friday, the day after the Jets play the Buffalo Bills to start a mini-bye week, but it's not hard to connect the dots. He'd like to get it done before the end of the season and Friday affords him the best, perhaps only opportunity to have the surgery without missing a game."Obviously, I don't want to miss any time or any games," he said. "The decision will be based on that, to make sure I don't miss any time."

Smiling, he added, "We'll see. You'll probably know something by Friday."

Fitzpatrick needs surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left (non-throwing) thumb. He played Sunday with a brace and a protective glove, claiming there were only two plays in the game in which his ailing thumb was a factor. He said he was "surprised how little an issue it was." He wound up passing for 272 yards and two touchdowns in his first no-turnover game of the season. Go figure.

Dr. Aaron Daluiski, an orthopedic surgeon specializing in hand and upper extremity services at Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan, said there's no reason why Fitzpatrick couldn't play a game 10 days after having the ligament surgically repaired. Daluiski hasn't examined the Jets' quarterback; he's basing his opinion on his knowledge of UCL tears. He called it "a freak injury," saying Fitzpatrick shouldn't worry about it happening again because it's his non-dominant hand and it will be well-protected by a brace.

"If I were him, I'd play (after surgery)," he said in a phone interview. "Medically, there's no reason not to. If that's how you make your living, you should play."Daluiski said there's no risk for permanent damage by waiting until after the season, but he acknowledged "it becomes more difficult to fix by waiting. It's still fixable, but it's easier to do it sooner."

Coach Todd Bowles seems to be on board with the Friday surgery, noting that Fitzpatrick would benefit from having three extra days to heal. He confirmed the team's thinking, saying his quarterback could be ready for the Texans.

Fitzpatrick said the pain is manageable, adding he hasn't taken medication or painkilling injections.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55981/ryan-fitzpatrick-hopeful-he-wont-miss-any-action-if-he-opts-for-surgery

Lol, cap issues.  

Ferguson is not going to get his $14 million

Mangold is not going to get his $9 million

people say this but the Jets don't exactly have any other options. These guys have the leverage.  Wesley Johnson is gonna take your job shouldn't scare Nick mangold's agent. If anything those guys get extended, their cap hits go down. 

I think a lot depends on what they think about Petty. Back when Geno first got his face broken, the team brought in a couple vets to compete for the backup job. Including Matt Flynn, who could've been on the opening day roster without guaranteeing his full season pay because he'd already collected once before. By the time the season rolled around, the team decided that Petty had progressed enough that they could roll with hm as their backup until Geno was ready. He came around quickly. It looks like he'll spend this full year on the sidelines, learning behind a pro in Fitzpatrick. Will he be ready to compete for the starting job next year? Will he be the favorite? That's a big factor in any Fitzpatrick negotiations. 

I'd like to see Fitzpatrick return, regardless. I don't think they need to offer him double his current salary Cimini suggests (which would be a two year, $13M deal). I think the stability here with Gailey, a solid supporting cast, and a legitimate chance to continue starting should be able to convince him to stay for something closer to that Hoyer contract (2 years, $10.5M). The strength of the Jets negotiating position would be dependent upon how dependent they were on having Fitz start next year. 

Fitz might be out of the mix, though, if they opt to trade for a starter (Stafford, Kaepernick, Glennon[!]). That would be a complete shift that would demonstrate little faith in Petty to be the guy. They'd probably draft another QB somewhere along the line again next year in that scenario. 

I don't think they'll be in any rush to cut Geno. I do think they'll try to get a late pick in a trade for him, though. Someone could find it appealing to get Geno on the inexpensive last year of his rookie deal for a sixth or seventh rounder. 

If last week is any indication, he should ask for a raise.

The last thing we need to do is try to save a million and lose Mangold.

Our O Line is desperate for some young help.

And, for the Love of Pete.  Bring back Fitz!!   He's playing well.  The team is winning.  He won't make a mega contract.  Come on, if you told me before the season started that with our Mega D, we would be 11th in points, I would have signed up for that!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan Fitzpatrick will turn 33 next week, which might come as a surprise to all those people who think he’s eligible for Medicare.

The guy with the overgrown scraggly beard has the geezer look down to a science, but he’s not ready to join a shuffleboard league just yet.“I think he has a lot of good football left in him,” Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan said Wednesday.

It’s impossible to put a precise dollar amount on the journeyman quarterback’s value to an organization that actually planned to start Geno Smith before a season-altering/saving locker room fight, but the smart move would be to give Fitzpatrick a contract extension before season’s end.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have not yet had exploratory discussions with Fitzpatrick’s camp to keep him around beyond 2015, but it makes perfect sense to initiate them now.Fitzpatrick is the ideal “bridge quarterback” for a franchise still searching for a long-term answer at the game’s most important position.He has been the team MVP through nine games. He has been a leader, mentor and calming presence for an organization that has experienced too much turbulence in recent years. He has been a gift from Maccagnan’s buddies in Houston and a “good grounding force in our locker room,” according to the rookie GM.

More than anything, Fitzpatrick, who plans to start against the Texans on Sunday after undergoing left thumb surgery to repair a torn ligament last week, has provided hope that the 5-4 Jets can break a four-year playoff drought.The wise play would be to lock up Fitzpatrick, who’s in the final year of a two-year deal signed with the Texans, next month assuming the veteran doesn’t fall off the cliff. It makes too much sense for it to not happen.

Fitzpatrick is the right fit at the right time for the right team. Why unnecessarily risk losing him in free agency? There could be as many as eight teams looking for a starting quarterback and countless others in need of veteran backup this offseason. Fitzpatrick isn’t going to break the bank anywhere, so it would behoove Maccagnan to make sure he sticks around.

The going rate for quality veteran backups is $4-$5 million/year. Brian Hoyer signed a 2-year, $10.5 million deal with the Texans in the offseason that included $4.75 million in front-loaded guarantees. The Rams signed Nick Foles to a two-year extension in August that included $13.8 guaranteed.A fair two-year deal for Fitzpatrick, whose familiarity with Chan Gailey’s offense and fast connection with Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker have contributed to his success, would include $5-7 million in real guarantees.

The free-agent quarterback landscape is ugly. If Sam Bradford, Kirk Cousins, Drew Stanton or (likely) Robert Griffin moves the needle for you, then you should sprint to the nearest MinuteClinic for a thorough evaluation.There are technically a few trade options, but none really makes sense. Sure, senior citizen Drew Brees will likely be available, but trading for a 37-year-old quarterback with a shaky shoulder and a $30 million cap hit in 2016 would unofficially be the dumbest move in the history of moves.

Colin Kaepernick can read defenses about as well as Geno Smith. No thanks.

Matthew Stafford is intriguing, but the remaining two years on his deal ($17 million base salary in 2016 and $16.5 million in 2017) could be cost prohibitive.

The best path for the Jets would be to re-sign Fitzpatrick, continue to groom Bryce Petty and draft a quarterback in the offseason. Maccagnan gave Smith the ultimate kiss of death when asked whether the mercurial signal caller could be a viable option moving forward: “Obviously Geno’s under contract for next year.”

NFL translation: Dead man walking.

“I think the jury is still out, but not necessarily in a bad way,” said Maccagnan, who’s too nice to state the obvious here.The math isn’t overly complicated. The Jets will draft a quarterback in the offseason. There’s no room for Smith. Fitzpatrick should be the bridge to Petty or the 2016 draft pick.

The veteran already has provided invaluable help to Petty.

“I didn’t really know the value of having a guy like Fitz,” Petty told the Daily News. “You heard stories of guys not being helpful, like ‘I learned it on my own, so you can learn it on your own.’ Or the insecurity factor about who they are or their job title. He’s the polar opposite. He is very secure with who he is and what he was brought here to do. He (had) help when he was younger. So he wanted to pay it forward.”

Fitzpatrick has been more than just a mentor. He’s on pace for 27 touchdown passes, or two fewer than the Jets’ total in the past two seasons. He’s No. 7 in QBR rankings, ahead of Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers and Russell Wilson.

Kurt Warner was also 33 when he started the first nine games for the Giants in 2004 before giving way to rookie Eli Manning. Fitzpatrick can be a viable starter next season, too.

“Hell yeah, I want him back next year!” Petty said. “Are you kidding me?”

The beard should be feared beyond 2015.

>     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-wise-extend-fitzpatrick-contract-article-1.2439941

Who's available in free agency?  We need to make a play for Stafford, Kaepernick or Bradford - if you can land one of those you really don't need Fitz. (It's unlikely they'll be available but it's certainly possible)  If not those 3 I would agree to pay Fitz.

Stafford sucks and he's not FA neither is Kaepernick who is even worse.

I'm not a Bradford fan but a a 1 year deal at reasonable money along with a 1-year deal for Fitz is way to go.

The Jets have to find a quarterback. They have to they have to they have to. Nothing else matters. Nothing. Zip. Zero. That means roster spots are at a premium. No clue what that means for Fitz and Petty but the Jets cannot afford to risk any roster space. They have to throw as many darts at the board until one finally sticks. Zero chance we ever have any sort of continuity and sustained success until we find a quarterback, and the entire offseason for 2016 has to be dedicated to some sort of cohesive plan to finding one.

finally some sanity here

Who's available in free agency?  We need to make a play for Stafford, Kaepernick or Bradford - if you can land one of those you really don't need Fitz. (It's unlikely they'll be available but it's certainly possible)  If not those 3 I would agree to pay Fitz.

I'd take Drew Stanton over fitz, he had a good run in AZ filling in for Palmer and he's still improving 

What tells the other part of the story? Do tell. Fitz is the epitome of league average. And that's okay for right now. 

I don't want to go and rank every QB in the league but we can group the league into tiers to make it a little easier to debate.

Elite- Brady, arod, ben, etc.

2 - eli, flacco, rivers, romo

3 - Newton, Wilson, palmer

4 - luck, ryan, dalton

5 - Alex smith, cutler, stafford

6 - tannehill, carr, bridgewater

7 - Winston, mariota, bortles

8 - fitz, hoyer, cousins, foles, manziel

obviously these are open for debate but that last group is what I would call the replacement level tier. These are the teams will all be looking hard for a QB upgrade next season... will a team like the jets think about trading for a vet QB next season? It might be the best option since we actually have a pretty talented roster compared to the other teams in this group. You just wonder how long the jets window is because our core group of veteran players are all getting older unlike teams like Jax & the rams 

I don't want to go and rank every QB in the league but we can group the league into tiers to make it a little easier to debate.

Elite- Brady, arod, ben, etc.

2 - eli, flacco, rivers, romo

3 - Newton, Wilson, palmer

4 - luck, ryan, dalton

5 - Alex smith, cutler, stafford

6 - tannehill, carr, bridgewater

7 - Winston, mariota, bortles

8 - fitz, hoyer, cousins, foles, manziel

obviously these are open for debate but that last group is what I would call the replacement level tier. These are the teams will all be looking hard for a QB upgrade next season... will a team like the jets think about trading for a vet QB next season? It might be the best option since we actually have a pretty talented roster compared to the other teams in this group. You just wonder how long the jets window is because our core group of veteran players are all getting older unlike teams like Jax & the rams 

I don't even know where to start. Probably a garbage can. Wow. Do you actually believe the things you right or is your troll game that strong?

I gave you a thumbs down.  You are the only one here talking about anointing anyone.  I'm hoping for at least one and possibly two more seasons out of Fitz.  

Hoping for another season of Fitz is completely ridiculous.  We win some games against crappy teams that turn over the ball a lot and all of a second this complete JAG is a multi-season QB for us??? Screw that. Fitz can literally win only one type of football game: a game where we get turnovers and get ahead. Can he beat a team with a top QB? NO Can he beat a winning team? NO (What is it? Once total since 2011?) Can he come back in the 4th quarter? NO Can he lead us to quick scores? NO

Fact: Fitz SUCKS. Period.

He may also be the best option this year. But to think about him starting past this year? Complete and total idiocy.

Hoping for another season of Fitz is completely ridiculous.  We win some games against crappy teams that turn over the ball a lot and all of a second this complete JAG is a multi-season QB for us??? Screw that. Fitz can literally win only one type of football game: a game where we get turnovers and get ahead. Can he beat a team with a top QB? NO Can he beat a winning team? NO (What is it? Once total since 2011?) Can he come back in the 4th quarter? NO Can he lead us to quick scores? NO

Fact: Fitz SUCKS. Period.

He may also be the best option this year. But to think about him starting past this year? Complete and total idiocy.

You and your siamese twin are just delusional. If you cannot find a better option next year, why wouldn't you start him? What is going to be the so obvious better option? Nobody thinks he is very good, but most people with eyes and a half of a brain understand that he is better than any alternatives that are attainable. So rather than ten million posts like the one above, why don't you tell us who is going to be attainable and better, please enlighten us.

You and your siamese twin are just delusional. If you cannot find a better option next year, why wouldn't you start him? What is going to be the so obvious better option? Nobody thinks he is very good, but most people with eyes and a half of a brain understand that he is better than any alternatives that are attainable. So rather than ten million posts like the one above, why don't you tell us who is going to be attainable and better, please enlighten us.

Clearly you did not understand my post. The Jets need to plan and implement a strategy that does not include Fitz starting. That could be Petty starting. That could be using a high draft pick on a QB they like. It could be an open competition. It could be bringing in another player like Kapernick or Bradford (not excited about either) or just an open competition with Geno, Petty and a third player. But if the Jets decided to just accept Fitz for another year that is just completely ridiculous and irresponsible.

Some here seem to be OK for signing up for a year or two more of Fitz starting right now. Fitz has consistently collapsed in the second halves of seasons. It is likely he will prove once again that he is no more than a very good backup hold the fort guy for the starter.

Clearly you did not understand my post. The Jets need to plan and implement a strategy that does not include Fitz starting. That could be Petty starting. That could be using a high draft pick on a QB they like. It could be an open competition. It could be bringing in another player like Kapernick or Bradford (not excited about either) or just an open competition with Geno, Petty and a third player. But if the Jets decided to just accept Fitz for another year that is just completely ridiculous and irresponsible.

Some here seem to be OK for signing up for a year or two more of Fitz starting right now. Fitz has consistently collapsed in the second halves of seasons. It is likely he will prove once again that he is no more than a very good backup hold the fort guy for the starter.

Any of this talk is premature. Let's see how the rest of the season pans out before we make any rash decisions or generalizations. If the Jets play like they can and make the playoffs, bringing Fitz back on a team friendly one or two year deal with incentives makes sense. Continue to groom Petty, and Fitz is key to that, and bring Petty along at a comfortable speed. 

Any of this talk is premature. Let's see how the rest of the season pans out before we make any rash decisions or generalizations. If the Jets play like they can and make the playoffs, bringing Fitz back on a team friendly one or two year deal with incentives makes sense. Continue to groom Petty, and Fitz is key to that, and bring Petty along at a comfortable speed. 

it is a bit premature but needs to be a consideration by the fron office. When cap ramifications and talent are both considered Fitz is to me a very viable option. Remember compatition will exist for the starting role

an average backup NFL QB, but no he's not a league average starting talent

If you say so.

I'd place him a bit below the middle-average of the 32 current NFL Starting QB's, aye.

And I'd place him well above pretty much every backup QB I can think of of the top of my head, as well as a small but not insignificant number of current starters.

I think he's well worth retaining on a value-for-money basis, a team leadership and Petty-grooming basis, and because until we have someone better to play (we currently do not) he's the best available.

I'm well aware Jets Fan nation has an ongoing obsession with other teams cast off's and backups, the Metzenbergers and their ilk, and that's fine.  If we can cut Geno Smith this off-season, and acquire one of those beloved other-team-backups, so be it, more competition is always good, and I'm perfectly happy if they can come in and beat out Fitz and Petty in 2016.

But given the state of this franchise at QB, I don't let Fitz walk for 2016.

The Jets have to find a quarterback. They have to they have to they have to. Nothing else matters. Nothing. Zip. Zero. That means roster spots are at a premium. No clue what that means for Fitz and Petty but the Jets cannot afford to risk any roster space. They have to throw as many darts at the board until one finally sticks. Zero chance we ever have any sort of continuity and sustained success until we find a quarterback, and the entire offseason for 2016 has to be dedicated to some sort of cohesive plan to finding one.

We have a QB in Fitz . He has proven to be just fine at the position if you look at the last 16 games he's done a great job. We need a TE and a threat at RB . With that in place Fitz could lead this offense until we find a young prospect who can step in when Fitz' time is up. Fitz has been the least of our problems this year and to be honest the offense has let him down more than he' let the team down. Having him in this offense next year gives us a proven vet in a familiar system who can move this team forward. If Petty develops fine, if not, we continue looking but Fitz is going no where and until a rookie comes in here and proves different Fitz will be our QB for the foreseeable future. Fitz is 32 years old and finally playing with a good team he's playing the best football of his career and I think he can do exactly what Vinny did for us in 98 all we need is to keep him healthy . Fitz is certainly not a gun slinger but I do not believe hes a Trent Dilfer type game manager either hes somewhere in between and with the right parts in place he can lead this team to a SB IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

Fitzpatrick's 'Cool Ride' Continues

Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif quietly made his 100th career start Sunday. Before Fitzpatrick threw a season-high 4 TD passes in the Jets’ 38-20 dismantling of the Dolphins, the 11-year veteran signal caller received a text from his father.“I knew it was going to happen at some point this year – I kind of had forgotten which game it was going to be,” he said of hitting the century mark. “But my dad texted me earlier in the day, so then I was kind of made aware of it. So that was cool for me.”

Fitzpatrick, acquired from the Houston Texans last March, has made 11 starts with his sixth NFL team. A seventh-round pick of the St. Louis Rams in the 2005 NFL Draft, the Harvard product  turned in a mistake-free performance against the Dolphins as the Jets moved to a game over .500.“That’s a neat thing for me when my career’s over with - that’s why I wanted to keep the ball at the end of the game and put that one in the trophy case,” Fitzpatrick said of his 100th start. “Being a seventh-round pick, being a guy that wasn’t really recruited and played college football and all that stuff – it’s been a pretty cool ride.”

Fitzpatrick heated up against the Dolphins, completing 22 of 37 for 277  yards. He led the Jets to touchdowns on four of their five trips inside the 20 and the Green & White were excellent on third down, converting 59% (10 of 17) of the time.“I just tried to stay away from trying to make too much happen, trying to force balls, just taking what they’re giving me,” he said during a conference call Monday with reporters. “Even early on we stalled on a few drives, but just making sure the confidence was still high and everybody trusted in the game plan we had in place, not trying to go off and invent different plays and different throws but trusting what we had and what we had worked on throughout the week. I thought we did a good job of that.”

Fitzpatrick enters December in unfamiliar territory, but with a familiar face in his ear. Fitzpatrick has never been to the postseason and he’ll try to get there in his fourth season working with Chan Gailey.  The Jets OC was the Bills head coach from 2010-’12 as Fitzpatrick passed for more than 10,000 yards and 71 TDs.  A reporter asked Monday if this felt like the right place and right time for Fitzpatrick.“You think about it a little bit,” he said. “The fact that I came to this team, was able to step in to an offense that was full of veteran guys that have played a lot and a system that I’ve played in for a few years and I’m comfortable in with the Coach in Chan that has a lot of trust and experience with me. So there’s a lot of things that come in place for me that I’ve definitely been able to appreciate this year and just have to try to continue to take advantage of the opportunity.”

Currently the No. 7 seed in the AFC, the 6-5 Jets are right in the mix of a conference that features seven clubs that are a game above/below .500.“We know we’re still in it,” Fitzpatrick said. “We also know there’s not a lot of room for error.”The Giants are up next and they own an opportunistic defense, ranking T2 with 22 takeaways. Fitzpatrick, who is completing 58.5% of his passes with 20 TD and 11 INT, is assured of playing meaningful football in December. Five games remain, but Fitz knows the most important start is No. 101.

“As we continue to win, they become more and more significant in terms of putting ourselves in a position to make the playoffs. There’s a huge focus on one game at a time, one game at a time,” he said. “Not getting ahead of ourselves and making sure we’re putting all our energy and our focus into the opponent each week because all these games are obviously extremely important to us. And there are so many teams that are lumped up right now, within a game of each other that we just have to continue to stack wins.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-6/Fitzpatricks-Cool-Ride-Continues/3b53ac63-d4b9-43cb-8fd0-fe758be82a0b

Ryan Fitzpatrick is having one of the best Jets QB seasons ever

A week ago, there was talk about whether the Jets should bench quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. But the veteran answered those doubts with a four-touchdown performance Sunday that should end the talk about a Geno Smith return under center.Fitzpatrick was the first Jets quarterback to throw four touchdowns with no interceptions since Chad Pennington in 2002. Fitzpatrick is having one of the best seasons a Jets quarterback has ever had.

Now, keep in mind that bar is pretty low. The Jets’ quarterback record book is a sad thing to take a look at, but Fitzpatrick is approaching some of the best marks in team history.Fitzpatrick has 20 touchdown passes, putting him on pace to tie the team single-season record of 29, set by Vinny Testaverde in 1998.Fitzpatrick is on pace to throw for 3,601 yards, which would be the fifth-highest total in team history.

It is amazing to consider Fitzpatrick was slated to be Smith’s backup entering training camp until IK Enemkpali got involved. With a strong finish, Fitzpatrick could put his name in the Jets’ record book.

>      http://nypost.com/2015/12/02/ryan-fitzpatricks-having-one-of-the-best-seasons-for-a-jets-qb/

an average backup NFL QB, but no he's not a league average starting talent

Are you kidding?  He's the epitome of an average NFL starting QB.  You're delusional if you think there's 32 guys better than him.  He's right in the middle of the pack as a starting NFL QB. 

Are you kidding?  He's the epitome of an average NFL starting QB.  You're delusional if you think there's 32 guys better than him.  He's right in the middle of the pack as a starting NFL QB. 

sure right behind Andy dalton then? lol fitz has one game where he gets to pad the stats against a team that gave up and all the homers come out. The Giants are going to kill us on sunday

sure right behind Andy dalton then? lol fitz has one game where he gets to pad the stats against a team that gave up and all the homers come out. The Giants are going to kill us on sunday

You mean like Geno did against the same Dolphins team last year? Please turn in your fan card.

Lol, cap issues.  

Ferguson is not going to get his $14 million

Mangold is not going to get his $9 million

Cro is not going to get his $8 million

Coples is not going to get his $7 million

We are currently $9 million in cap space based on $150 Million.  

that's why I love the 'lets trade for brees' people

Archived