Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-- Ryan Fitzpatrick debunked two negative perceptions over the final 17 minutes of a fantastic game Sunday between the New York Jets and New York Giants. He proved that, yes, there's enough firepower in that well-traveled right arm to overcome a significant deficit. He also showed that, despite a 10-year-old résumé that includes no playoff appearances, he can win a big game in the crucible of a playoff race."This late in the year, I've kind of never ..." Fitzpatrick said, searching for the right words to describe his lack of late-season success. "Other than Christmas, December is never really a fun time for me, for some reason."

Cheer up, Ebenezer Fitzpatrick. This could be a December to remember, and you're the reason.

After three-plus quarters of sloppy, undisciplined football at MetLife Stadium, the Jets scored 13 unanswered points for a stunning, 23-20 overtime win -- their biggest December win since 2011. Fitzpatrick was the catalyst, passing for 390 yards and two touchdowns, converting on a key fourth-down scramble and committing no turnovers despite getting knocked down nine times. His bloated passing total was the most by a Jets quarterback since Vinny Testaverde's 481-yard losing effort against the celebrated Baltimore Ravens in the 2000 season finale.Not only did Fitzpatrick save the season -- with a lot of help from Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Bilal Powell -- but he made you believe big things are possible. Nothing is more important during a playoff push than a hot quarterback, and Fitzpatrick has been Steph Curry-hot over the past two games -- six touchdowns, zero interceptions and a two-game winning streak.

"He's not going to wow you with his speed or his arm strength, but he's going to do the right things," grizzled linebacker Calvin Pace said in a joyous Jets locker room. "He's going to find the open man and he's going to scramble when he needs to. He's probably the smartest guy on the team. He's what we need. He's a stable presence on offense."Fitzpatrick never had won more than six starts in a season, so he went into Sunday seeking to venture into uncharted territory. It didn't look good midway through the fourth quarter with the Jets trailing 20-10. Then Giants coach Tom Coughlin passed up a field goal attempt (bad choice), Rontez Miles made an interception at the 3-yard line and Fitzpatrick went to work. Over the next three possessions, Fitzpatrick completed 18 of 27 passes for 194 yards and a touchdown, dissecting the NFL's worst pass defense.

He finished the day with 50 pass attempts. Do you know the last time the Jets won a game with that many attempts? It was Testaverde and the Monday Night Miracle in 2000."I thought he was great last week as well, so I don't know if it was the best I've seen him, but it was the most poised I've seen him in these situations," Jets coach Todd Bowles said of Fitzpatrick.Bowles meant in the clutch. Let's face it: The Jets had been a lousy fourth-quarter team, blowing chances against the New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills and Houston Texans. Sometimes a team has that in its DNA, the inability to handle pressure. The Jets looked like one of those teams through 11 3/4 games, but they regained their poise at the right time.

Bowles preached "poise" all week; it finally registered. The long-term effect could be huge, the kind of win that propels them to the postseason."I don't know if it's a playoff turning point," Bowles said, "but I hope we grew up a little bit from this game."They did. Their quarterback did, too.As he watched Josh Brown line up for the potential game-tying field goal in overtime, Fitzpatrick was thinking ahead to the next offensive series. It was hard to concentrate, though, because Marshall was in his ear. He's always in Fitzpatrick's ear about something.This time, Marshall was talking about destiny, how he and Fitzpatrick -- both looking for their first playoff appearance after a combined 20 seasons -- were due. Fitzpatrick recalled him saying, "The stars are aligning."

"We bounced around from team to team," Marshall said he told Fitzpatrick on the sideline as they waited. "The football Gods are hearing us right now. He's going to miss this kick."Who knows? Maybe the stars really are aligning. The stars always burn brighter when the quarterback is lighting up the sky.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56787/do-you-believe-in-fitzmagic-maybe-you-should-the-jets-do

Holy hell you Fitz lovers cant get off Geno. Geno has NOTHING to do with whether planning on Fitz starting again next year is a good plan.

You actually just made the most sense you've made in a while.  Geno Smith does not matter at all anymore.  Glad you finally understand this to be the truth.  He stopped mattering to the Jets' plans the minute he got punched.

Let's face it: The Jets had been a lousy fourth-quarter team, blowing chances against the New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills and Houston Texans. Sometimes a team has that in its DNA, the inability to handle pressure. The Jets looked like one of those teams through 11 3/4 games, but they regained their poise at the right time.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56787/do-you-believe-in-fitzmagic-maybe-you-should-the-jets-do

I don't get this at all.  A lousy fourth quarter team?  Why? They were down 24-10 to the Texans and 22-10 to the Bills (22-3 late in the 3rd) and came back and made a game of it.  They were outscored by the Pats in the fourth. Big shocker.  The problems against the Texans and Bills were not in the fourth quarter.  They were much earlier.  Same with the Eagles and Raiders.  The Jets did not choke under pressure in the fourth.  The Pats game is the only one they lost where they were outscored in the fourth.  Their comebacks failed because they are not a quick strike team and were trying to come from too far down.

I don't get this at all.  A lousy fourth quarter team?  Why? They were down 24-10 to the Texans and 22-10 to the Bills (22-3 late in the 3rd) and came back and made a game of it.  They were outscored by the Pats in the fourth. Big shocker.  The problems against the Texans and Bills were not in the fourth quarter.  They were much earlier.  Same with the Eagles and Raiders.  The Jets did not choke under pressure in the fourth.  The Pats game is the only one they lost where they were outscored in the fourth.  Their comebacks failed because they are not a quick strike team and were trying to come from too far down.

I think the point they were trying to make was they didn't finish.  Yes, the went down early and yes they made a push in the 4th quarter to get back in the game...but in each case they had the ball, within a score and failed to finish.  In the Bills and Eagle games they were in the red zone (or close to it against Philly) in the Pat game they failed to score a TD, while in the redzone, to take a large lead that may have put the game away.

Last week was the first time they "completed" a comeback.  

I think the point they were trying to make was they didn't finish.  Yes, the went down early and yes they made a push in the 4th quarter to get back in the game...but in each case they had the ball, within a score and failed to finish.  In the Bills and Eagle games they were in the red zone (or close to it against Philly) in the Pat game they failed to score a TD, while in the redzone, to take a large lead that may have put the game away.

Last week was the first time they "completed" a comeback.  

Yeah.  I'm sure that was the point.  I just don't see how failing to "complete" a comeback equates with being a lousy fourth quarter team. 

I'm not ready to anoint them cardiac kids or some kind of clutch team because they came back against the Giants.  They are going to continue to be a slow scoring team.  It is always going to be easier to comeback against bottom tier pass defenses like the Giants and Saints.  I guess that is why coming up short against the Raiders hurt so much.

I have already stated that I am not going to bash Fitz and I am all in on him for the season. What in the hell do you want me to say? Am I all in on him for next year? No way.

Same here to a point.  He is 100% the man this year.  Proven by how this team shrunk up like George Constanzas wang after a shower when Fitz got hurt in Raiders game.  All for bringing him back to compete next year as well.  His job to lose if you will.  Then draft a guy, let Petty be the back  up and let the three of them Fight it out.  If Petty becomes the man then he and Fitz switch places.  Cut Geno so he can go learn to duck someplace .  

5 reasons why ryan fitzpatrick has exceeded expectations 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/12/5_reasons_ryan_fitzpatrick_has_exceeded_expectatio.html#0

"With Fitzpatrick under center, the Jets have score touchdowns on 68.3 percent of their trips to the red zone, which is best in the NFL."

"Fitzpatrick has been sacked just 14 times this season and his sack rate of 3.3 percent is best in the NFL."

Gosh imagine if the guy didn't suck!!!

You actually just made the most sense you've made in a while.  Geno Smith does not matter at all anymore.  Glad you finally understand this to be the truth.  He stopped mattering to the Jets' plans the minute he got punched.

Top Ten things Geno lovers will say if Fitz and Jets win SB:

10. "It's insensitive to talk about how 'Jets punched their way into the playoffs and into history.'"

9. "By starting Fitz we lost another year without being double and triple sure we fully know what we have in Geno."

8. "Unfair to say Geno wouldn't have won also because we never saw him play under these exact circumstances so how can we compare?"

7. "Any QB in NFL could win throwing to Marshall (please don't bring up fact that none of Marshall's previous teams have even made the playoffs)."

6. "Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Come on guys it doesn't mean Fitz is a good QB."

5. "STOP defending a max 1 Super Bowl win QB!"

4. "Fitz is Chad Pennington plus a few IQ points and a slightly stronger arm. Difference? Chad didn't have Marshall. On the other hand, Geno can throw a football through a brick wall (but not through the hands of defenders, apparently)."

3. "Great, now he will expect to be paid like a Super Bowl winning QB. We must not overpay!"

2. "Geno would've won by an even bigger margin."

1. "Sure Fitz can win you a Super Bowl or two but he doesn't have the arm strength to build a dynasty."

once upon a time Vinny Testaverde was considered a journeyman, hold the fort type qb. 

He made his first Pro bowl in 1996, at the age of 33. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick just turned 33. 

Seriously?

Are you saying that Fitz will magically become a Pro Bowl QB?

After 11 years, he is the ultimate definition of a JAG QB.

Quick Strike team ?? Since when do teams with large leads allow quick strikes ? We lost those games because the Team as a whole played bad and fell behind taking us right out of our game plan. Teams that are behind in games don't lob up bombs to catch up they usually get some sustained drives then play Defense and rinse and repeat. When in those games we did decide to play some defense, our Receivers decided to drop balls, fumble balls, tip balls to the other team, lateral balls and just play plain bad. That being said we were more an over all bad team than a bad 4th quarter team so I see your point in that regard but in every loss this year other than the Raiders we beat ourselves and it was not due to the QB like some here would want us all to think it was due to an over all crappy effort from the team most notably ST's and the coaching staff. This team has shown flashes on both sides of the ball, some very good flashes and IMHO when you do that its about the coaching staff putting you in the best position to win. The only area I can say we absolutely stink is special teams since they have shown nothing and have cost us at least 2 games.

Seriously?

I know of a former 4th rd Pat QB draft pick that went on to make 4 Pro Bowls and 2 All Pro's after bouncing around 11 years..LOL

Seriously?

11 years of playing with bad teams and a Texans team that threw in the towel last year. You give Fitz a dynamic RB and a soild TE like your Tom Brady had to start the season (Lewis/Gronk) and Fitz will do just fine, no doubt in my mind. As soon as Fitz got back what finally seems to be a healthy Powell  (since he finally showed some burst) you saw what that did for both Fitz and our offense add a competent TE to that mix and Fitz is a very good QB.

11 years of playing with bad teams and a Texans team that threw in the towel last year. You give Fitz a dynamic RB and a soild TE like your Tom Brady had to start the season (Lewis/Gronk) and Fitz will do just fine, no doubt in my mind. As soon as Fitz got back what finally seems to be a healthy Powell  (since he finally showed some burst) you saw what that did for both Fitz and our offense add a competent TE to that mix and Fitz is a very good QB.

Jets are number 1 in the Red zone scoring in 2015 Brady's Pats are 3rd.. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Jets are number 1 in the Red zone scoring in 2015 Brady's Pats are 3rd.. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

I know all the good things this offense is doing and all Jets fans (and some pats fans ) can do is come here and complain ...I mean its like we've had Aaron Rodgers playing QB here for the past 40 years . Funny we could be looking at one of the best QB years this team has ever had yet people find fault and we still don't have a ******* TE and went 90 % of the season without a real pass catching threat out of the back field.

I know all the good things this offense is doing and all Jets fans (and some pats fans ) can do is come here and complain ...I mean its like we've had Aaron Rodgers playing QB here for the past 40 years . Funny we could be looking at one of the best QB years this team has ever had yet people find fault and we still don't have a ******* TE and went 90 % of the season without a real pass catching threat out of the back field.

We have 2 on the IR though..LOL

Seriously?

No troll for brains.  Not what he said at all. He said Testerberde did it in a similar situation.So it's possible.  Not necessarily likely but possible.  

I think Brady is trying to push the Vegas line so he can score a monster bet were he takes Patriots and the points.

No troll for brains.  Not what he said at all. He said Testerberde did it in a similar situation.So it's possible.  Not necessarily likely but possible.  

I think the Jets should be checked for deflating balls.  First time ever Fitzie does not have fumbling problems.  :)

Fitzie is what he is. He is a good QB.  Not great, but very good.  Maybe he can have a magical VT type season, maybe this year is it.

Quick Strike team ?? Since when do teams with large leads allow quick strikes ? We lost those games because the Team as a whole played bad and fell behind taking us right out of our game plan. Teams that are behind in games don't lob up bombs to catch up they usually get some sustained drives then play Defense and rinse and repeat. When in those games we did decide to play some defense, our Receivers decided to drop balls, fumble balls, tip balls to the other team, lateral balls and just play plain bad. That being said we were more an over all bad team than a bad 4th quarter team so I see your point in that regard but in every loss this year other than the Raiders we beat ourselves and it was not due to the QB like some here would want us all to think it was due to an over all crappy effort from the team most notably ST's and the coaching staff. This team has shown flashes on both sides of the ball, some very good flashes and IMHO when you do that its about the coaching staff putting you in the best position to win. The only area I can say we absolutely stink is special teams since they have shown nothing and have cost us at least 2 games.

Not sure where we disagree  You are correct about the 4th quarter vs. overall bad team comment.  My other point is that the Jets are not a big play team.  They aren't going to have many plays like Beckham's.  That wasn't a bomb, it was a medium pass where he split the zone.  Decker and Marshall can make big plays, but they aren't taking too many mid-range passes to the house.  That means, as you stated, that sustained drives are required.  This is a team built on defense and running game.  They are not going to be very good at coming from behind. 

I'd sign Fitz to a 2year deal after the season depending on the how we finish the last 4 games. Sitting Petty for two more years would be crucial in his development and can only help. Fitz deserves atleast next year to see what he can do with these guys he has grown a rapport with. I am ok with his shortcomings. Also if we add a TE or Hback like Jace or draft another weapon this Offense can become even better. The right move would be to sign him to a short term contract, release Geno, and draft a Qb in the mid rounds.

Archived