New Embed Options

We will be upgrading in a week or two to the latest version of IPS. It has a new posting parser, which will hopefully take care of any remaining issues. I also wanted to point out they made some changes to how embedding works.

We have updated a few of our embed options in version 4.1.9. Our goal was to make the embeds more user friendly and give admins more control over embed in general.

When you paste in a link from common services like YouTube, Twitter, and so on the system tries to embed a nice box instead of just a link. For example, if I pasted in this link it would create this box:

Create New Article - Invision Power Services 2016-03-11 m0xbg.pngNew in version 4.1.9 you can now optionally choose to revert the automatic embed back to a simple text link.

So in the above example, when I pasted in my Twitter link, I saw a bar come up giving me the option to revert back to a link. This is useful when you do not want a formatted embed box but instead simply want to reference something and get the visitor to click the link. It is also useful when you want to reference something as part of a single sentence and not have a break in the flow that an embedded content box creates.

There is also a new AdminCP setting to completely disable embeds across your entire Suite. Some clients have communities where they like to keep things down to just simple, plain text. You could always disable formatting option button in the editor and now you can also disable automated embeds.

As a reminder, the following formats are supported with our embed system. Simply paste a link to any of these services and you will get a nice, rich embed experience that really encourages engagement on your community.

• College Humor
  • Facebook
  • Flickr
  • Gfycat
  • Google+
  • Hulu
  • Instagram
  • SoundCloud
  • Spotify
  • Ted
  • Twitter
  • Vimeo
  • Vine
  • YouTube

You can also embed links to anything inside of the IPS Community Suite. So you could paste a link to another forum topic in the comment on a Gallery image and it will show a preview of that topic rather than a simple link.

Thanks Max!

I tried testing a couple things and I have some questions.

When I tried to paste something from Youtube it did automatically embed but I never saw that bar pop up that asked me if I'd like it to just be a link. To make sure it wasn't just Youtube I also tried Twitter and the same thing happened so maybe it's not working. 

You could always disable formatting option button in the editor and now you can also disable automated embeds.

Is this something we can do permanently in our own options or do we have to disable it every time we want to make a post?

Also the bug with quotes still appears to be there. What I mean is if you quote someone you can't just backspace and get rid of the quote box even if you refresh the page you have to go the source button located in the upper lefthand corner of the reply box and use that to completely get rid of the quote. This can be frustrating if you want to quote someone and then change your mind because then you have to get rid of that quote box before you can make a normal reply to the thread again.

I don't think the changes effect the mafia forum much one way or another. Maybe @CTM can give a better opinion on that though as I haven't played mafia much with these newer settings.

4 hours ago, Nolder said:

Thanks Max!

I tried testing a couple things and I have some questions.

When I tried to paste something from Youtube it did automatically embed but I never saw that bar pop up that asked me if I'd like it to just be a link. To make sure it wasn't just Youtube I also tried Twitter and the same thing happened so maybe it's not working. 

Is this something we can do permanently in our own options or do we have to disable it every time we want to make a post?

Also the bug with quotes still appears to be there. What I mean is if you quote someone you can't just backspace and get rid of the quote box even if you refresh the page you have to go the source button located in the upper lefthand corner of the reply box and use that to completely get rid of the quote. This can be frustrating if you want to quote someone and then change your mind because then you have to get rid of that quote box before you can make a normal reply to the thread again.

I don't think the changes effect the mafia forum much one way or another. Maybe @CTM can give a better opinion on that though as I haven't played mafia much with these newer settings.

Thanks but we haven't upgraded yet. We have been on the same version since February. We are testing the new version on a different server. Once they give us the thumbs up that it is stable we will apply it here. I am hoping that the new posting parser makes the quote issue better (I hope but we will find out soon).

As far as the embed that asks you if you want just the link, that isn't installed yet. I should have labeled this coming soon. Was just trying to keep everyone informed and make sure everyone knew we were working on some things. :)

Thanks!

Archived