Jaylon Smith

KRL

Early on in the "mock draft season" everyone still had him being taken
in the first round.  But as time has gone by I don't see his name anymore.
What round would you be "agreeable" with taking him?

I'd go with a 5th-7th rounder. Most of the guys drafted in those rounds are projects anyway who are about 1-3 years from seeing the field anyway (Jarvis Harrison, Dakota Dozier, Josh Norman, Richard Sherman, Justin Bethel) so if Jaylon Smith were not to play his first year at all, he'd be in the same boat as Josh Norman was in 2012 but could be an AllPro by his 3rd or 4th year IF he does recover his old form. WIN WIN for the Jets: Low investment w/HIGH potential upside - not to mention motivation to recoup the MILLIONS that injury lost him from dropping out of the Top 10 picks in the 1st round (shame, poor guy)

4th round.  This is where the medicals and your med staff are so critical.  Unless they tell me straight out he will not come back from this 100% guaranteed I go for a 4th quite easily as a gamble on one of the best players in the draft.  Shi* we picked guys like Milliner and mcdougle much higher who have done sweet tweet, may as well do so on a later pick and better player.

Draftek has him going to SF in the second round (which is pretty high in the second).

WaltersMock has him going to the Texans in the 4th round (right after our pick). 

But I agree with Beerfish, based on his potential alone, some team will swing for him late 3rd round (comp pick).  

Tank Carradine (torn ACL) was drafted by SF in the 2nd round, is just starting to do nothing for them.  Marcus Lattimore (torn everything, plus nerve damage) was drafted by SF in the 4th round, and retired two years later.  So it depends on whether he has nerve damage or not.  

Notre Dame fan boy here - 4th-5th round ....there's a chance he's out for the entire 2016 season, but there's no doubt that before the injury he was easily a top 5-10 talent. If we can steal him in 4th, we should because i honestly dont think he will make it out of the 4th. He's a guy you shelf for a year and then cash in the next and you dont have to spend much on him for another 2-3 years.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jaylon-smith?id=2555310

I wouldn't go any higher than a 4th for him. Rounds 1-3 are usually players who have a decent shot at becoming an nfl starter and fourth and beyond are usually guys who are decent at one thing but might develop maybe. That said I feel like this is a relatively weak draft so I could easily see someone taking a shot at him earlier

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

been looking at different websites mock drafts... see him going in the 3rd-4th a lot... if he's there in the 3rd i wouldnt be mad at the pick - he's top 5 talent when healthy... assuming the medical test and all go well... and his recovery looks to be positive... i say we take a shot at him in the 3rd if he even drops to us... we have 2 starters at the position right now so him having a year off won't be an issue... AND if he pans out - could be biggest steal of the draft.

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2016 at 10:53 AM, bitonti said:

Notre Dame fan boys will say different but anything above a 6th is too high for a guy with that level of injury. It's entirely possible he never plays again. 

He played 12 snaps last night and looked better in coverage than any play from Darren Lee ever. Hope you're enjoying that crow!

Archived