Draft picks visiting the Jets thread

Matt39

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OVERVIEW

Great things were expected from Lawson, who was the top-rated prep school player in the country out of Hargrave Military Academy after a successful high school career in South Carolina. He played well as a reserve for two seasons behind the ever-stacked Tiger defensive line, racking up double-digit tackles for loss each year (10 in 2013, 11 in 2014). With the departure of the likes of Vic Beasley and Malliciah Goodman, Lawson finally got a chance to start in 2015 and made the most of it, constantly exploding into the backfield to finish among the nation's leaders in tackles for loss (25.5) and sacks (12.5). Lawson's personal accomplishments (consensus All-American, first-team All-ACC) led to great team success, as he and fellow junior Kevin Dodd and sophomore Heisman Trophy candidate Deshaun Watson helped the Tigers to an undefeated regular season, ACC title, and national championship game appearance.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Built like a tank with thickly muscled legs and a broad chest. Clemson played him at 5-­technique and standing up on the outside. Scheme versatile and will likely appeal to be 3­-4 and 4-­3 teams. Very powerful at the point of attack. Able to punch, extend arms and control the line of scrimmage or set a hard edge. Able to shock and shed blockers and has the hand quickness to staggered block attempts. Power allows him to play on other side of the line. Finished second in the nation in "stuffs" for defensive linemen with 17. Comes off ball low and with forward lean into his rush. Has frame to handle a double team. Has plus instincts and feel for the game. Toughness in full display.

WEAKNESSES

Thickly bound with very average flexibility. Average athlete for an end position. Not a natural hip bender and will have to focus on keeping pad level lower to unlock his leverage potential. Shows obvious signs of fatigue as game wears on. At times, is too content to lean on blocks when play isn’t run to his side rather than working to discard. Will have snaps where he seems more concerned with imposing his will on blocking rather than diagnosing the play. Doesn’t have the bend or upper body flexion to be edge turner as pass rusher. Effort sacks will diminish in pros and will need to become more nuanced pass rusher.

SOURCES TELL US

"I see Shaq as an outside linebacker in a 3-4. He's not the guy you want to turn loose against the quarterback, but he is the guy that will make it hard for tight ends to block him in the run game. We knew we couldn’t run at him and it changed how we called plays." -- ACC offensive coach

NFL COMPARISON

Courtney Upshaw

BOTTOM LINE

Productive backup for two years before putting together an All­-American season in his first year as a full- time starter. Lawson is built like a full­-grown man and combines his instincts, toughness and power to fill up a stat sheet and set an early tone. Lawson's frame and game are easily translatable to the NFL, but his average athleticism and pass rush skills will likely have teams viewing him as a 3­-4 edge setter or a 4-­3 base end. Lawson may also have value as 3­-4 defensive tackle in an upfield scheme.

36 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Can we not keep this stuff in the draft forum. That's why it exits. I don't like chasing threads across subforums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the time of year when the draft and current NY Jets news overlap, so I think it's okay... it's the other 10 months of the year where you draftniks fap into each others mouths that necessitates a sub-forum about drafting specifically.

47 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Can we not keep this stuff in the draft forum. That's why it exits. I don't like chasing threads across subforums

Dude cmon. This is entirely Jets related.

Dude cmon. This is entirely Jets related.

And the draft forum isn't? You got something against stepping in there? Cause there's nobody starting threads about who the steelers are bringing in. Or Chiefs. Just jets. Just draft talking.

Just sayin

Just now, Paradis said:

And the draft forum isn't? You got something against stepping in there? Cause there's nobody starting threads about who the steelers are bringing in. Or Chiefs. Just jets. Just draft talking.

Just sayin

You have to have something better to complain about. But if Max prefers we can move it into the draft forum. I dont care.

Good thread--our first pick has been a visit since basically forever.

Lawson's numbers project really well. I'd be very happy with him at 20.

That was prior to Mac. We'll see how this one holds up

This is the time of year when the draft and current NY Jets news overlap, so I think it's okay... it's the other 10 months of the year where you draftniks fap into each others mouths that necessitates a sub-forum about drafting specifically.

Yea it's nice to have relevant conversations in there during months not named September. Even including the "it's April and I suddenly know everything about the draft" crowd.

I dunno why you guys whine about this when its pointed out. What's the problem? Lazy?... Don't worry. All your friends will see your posts there. You'll still be popular.

During the DRAFT WEEK, I get it. It's still freaking March.

1 minute ago, BroadwayJets said:

I can't find proof but I saw yesterday that the Jets were either working out or bringing in Jayron Kearse for a visit. 

Interesting.  Safety really isnt a need IMO.  But that could be an interesting mid round pick. 

14 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

I can't find proof but I saw yesterday that the Jets were either working out or bringing in Jayron Kearse for a visit. 

Nice, always a big fan of those jumbo safeties in the mold of Adrian Wilson. Not as sure of Kearse as I was of Kam Chancellor or Iloka, but he's obviously a candidate. 

Lawson's a damn good prospect too.

7 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

This year it's not, but I could see Gilchrist departing next year or the year after.

Any reason why? 

I think Gilcrhist quietly had one of the best years of all our D players and was a crucial FA pick up.

Plus, I like Miles and Bailey as depth who can start in a pinch.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Playmakers at safety are probably second to edge rushers imo

Sure.  I just dont see a playmaker in Kearse.  Plus, he's long.  For as much as he does good, he's lazy and gets burned easily.  He was a flat out disaster in the National Championship game. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Nice, always a big fan of those jumbo safeties in the mold of Adrian Wilson. Not as sure of Kearse as I was of Kam Chancellor or Iloka, but he's obviously a candidate. 

Haven't watched any of the safeties in this class yet, would be nice to have a playmaker teamed up with Pryor.

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Yea it's nice to have relevant conversations in there during months not named September. Even including the "it's April and I suddenly know everything about the draft" crowd.

I dunno why you guys whine about this when its pointed out. What's the problem? Lazy?... Don't worry. All your friends will see your posts there. You'll still be popular.

wtf are you talking about?

stop being an idiot.

Just now, JiF said:

Any reason why? 

I think Gilcrhist quietly had one of the best years of all our D players and was a crucial FA pick up.

Plus, I like Miles and Bailey as depth who can start in a pinch.

Sure.  I just dont see a playmaker in Kearse.  Plus, he's long.  For as much as he does good, he's lazy and gets burned easily.  He was a flat out disaster in the National Championship game. 

I totally agree, and I just looked up his contract and I take that back. Thought he was making a lot more money and would be a cap casualty. 

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So, you want us to draft for need now?

No.  Not with the holes this team has, they need to go BAP sure.

However, I think need comes into factor in the mid to late rounds, for sure.  Not so much in the first 3.  And Kearse doesnt strike me as someone going in the first 3 rounds.  The guy is pretty sh*tty.  I know the new thing is big long players in the secondary but I think his size is a disadvantage. 

Watch that dude vs. FSU and Bama - he's a liability and he wanted nothing to do with Cook or Henry. 

Again, I think we're talking about the wrong player at the same position.  TJ Greene was much more consistent than Kearse. 

41 minutes ago, Paradis said:

having a bad day?

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

With the Pasts signing another playmaking TE i would say it is a need, imo.

How many safeties do you plan on playing at the same time?   And I like what Miles and Bailey bring to the table.  Bailey looks to have some coverage skills and Miles plays like his hair is on fire.  Miles was making plays all over the field when he filled in for Pryor.

And I'm not against a safety, I just dont think Kearse is any good.  He didnt want to tackle Dalvin Cook or Derrick Henry.  You think he wants to cover/tackle Gronk or Bennett? 

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

How many safeties do you plan on playing at the same time?   And I like what Miles and Bailey bring to the table.  Bailey looks to have some coverage skills and Miles plays like his hair is on fire.  Miles was making plays all over the field when he filled in for Pryor.

And I'm not against a safety, I just dont think Kearse is any good.  He didnt want to tackle Dalvin Cook or Derrick Henry.  You think he wants to cover/tackle Gronk or Bennett? 

Su'a Cravens at #20. If he makes it that far. Blew up USC pro day.

Archived