Housing Near LIJ/New Hyde Park/Queens

BroadwayJoe12

I will be starting a surgical residency at LIJ-Northwell this coming July and having spent zero time in the Queens/New Hyde Park area, I have absolutely no idea where to live, if certain areas are better for taxes etc.  The location for LIJ is right around 270-05 76th Avenue New Hyde Park, NY 11040.  Mostly looking for a 1 bed/1bath place, probably anywhere around $2000/month is kind of what I'm expecting to pay from what I have seen.  Any recommendations about areas to look at or areas to avoid would be great. Thanks in advance. 

4 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I will be starting a surgical residency at LIJ-Northwell this coming July and having spent zero time in the Queens/New Hyde Park area, I have absolutely no idea where to live, if certain areas are better for taxes etc.  The location for LIJ is right around 270-05 76th Avenue New Hyde Park, NY 11040.  Mostly looking for a 1 bed/1bath place, probably anywhere around $2000/month is kind of what I'm expecting to pay from what I have seen.  Any recommendations about areas to look at or areas to avoid would be great. Thanks in advance. 

Bayside is a nice area .

This is where I grew up. Its still a nice area, but a ton of indians moved in…..not that I'm anti-indian but I'm just saying...

About 2 west of LIJ on Union take is glen oaks village. lots of rentals here. nothing fancy but your basic decent garden coops. you could buy one for 170 unrenovated and 225 renovated. I've got a 1br I've been renting there forever. a check just comes every month. its a good place with lots of shopping but again not fancy. they have an express bus to manhattan too.

if you want to be in a fancier area and don't mind a 15-20 minute drive you could try great neck village up north or floral park village just south.

overall NHP is a great area. safe, clean, some charm, few undesirables, suburban but not sticks and a fast ride to any airport or even manhattan when theres no traffic.

I know this are like the back of my hand ask away

On 3/25/2016 at 1:59 PM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

tons of garden apartments in the Glen Oaks area.  Really quick commute to LIJ or North Shore.  What's the new name of this pair of merged super hospitals?  I don't live in those parts any more.

On 3/25/2016 at 5:13 PM, Maxman said:

I don't have anything to add on the places to live part, but congratulations on the surgical residency.

This isn't going to impact your ability to post is it? We can't have that happening. :)

I've been on here for the better part of a decade, I'm not sure anything can make me leave completely. Well, ya know, except for death. But I stopped answering Tomshane's texts, so I'm doing a good job avoiding that. 

On 3/26/2016 at 8:55 PM, HighPitch said:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7313-260th-St-G_Glen-Oaks_NY_11004_M33060-45960#photo5

heres a 2br for 1750 in glen oaks village. its super close to lij. you could ride a bike

Thanks man, much appreciated. It seems like a lot of the residents prefer the Queens area, especially Glen Oaks.  I was told there's a ton of good food and it's accessible to a lot of cool areas...for when I actually have time. 

On 3/27/2016 at 1:23 PM, Dcat said:

tons of garden apartments in the Glen Oaks area.  Really quick commute to LIJ or North Shore.  What's the new name of this pair of merged super hospitals?  I don't live in those parts any more.

They put together some think-tank and came away with Northwell Health :/  ..... It sounds too much like snackwell to me and I'll probably always refer to it as LIJ; but they were apparently looking to get away from referring to it as LIJ - North Shore - Hofstra etc. They even came up with a new colorful logo that you'll be seeing everywhere, considering they own pretty much everything. 

northwell-logo-for-social.png

On 3/25/2016 at 5:16 PM, joewilly12 said:

Do JetNation members get a discount on surgeries,good luck. 

I'm going to be doing cardiac surgery, so let's hope none of you guys need that.  Although with the teams we root for, and the food we consume, it's really not out of the realm of possibilities. 

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Still looking ?  Decided to be a little further away from the hospital and looking a lot in the Astoria area. Pretty awesome little neighborhood. 

Tough parking in Astoria ; cool beer gardens though .

Id rethink. bad parking and traffic depending on the time youll be commuting. stay in a hip place within 10 mins drive from the hospital. live in floral park village, nhp village, mineola, great neck village anywhere nearby where you can walk to local bar or two and a LIRR station to take a drunky trip to and from the city to get your enjoyment. OH SNAP! just though of the best place for you : Port Washington! nicest place on long island great train connection to nyc and the LI sound/beaches.

thank me later

On 5/30/2016 at 4:27 PM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Still looking ?  Decided to be a little further away from the hospital and looking a lot in the Astoria area. Pretty awesome little neighborhood. 

I lived in Astoria for 3 years.  Depends where you live re: parking.  The only time I had trouble parking was when I needed to be on the correct side of the street the next morning.  You may not deal with that as your hours will probably have you leaving prior.  Also, depending on area, rent may be cheap enough that you can afford a parking space.  I lived on the first floor of a two story/two family home and there was parking behind that could be rented.

Depends what you want.  I elected to drive out further than Glenn Oaks because I wanted to be closer to the city/friends/social life/etc.  If you're married or engaged, or in your last relationship, I'd say go to Glenn Oaks and enjoy the shorter commute.  If you want to try and maintain some kind of social life, even 1 night a week, I'd get close to the city/subway.  I lived off the 2nd to last stop on the NQ.

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up moving to Astoria, a few minute walk from the 30th ave NQ stop, love it so far.  Parking hasn't been bad, as I'm out before 5 every day. Will start looking for a parking spot pretty soon; as I said, the parking isn't bad, but after working brutal hours, the last thing I want to do is drive around for 10 minutes and the schlep my way back to my apt. Other than that, really dig the place. Had no idea how easy it was to get into manhattan on the NQ.  Thanks all for the advice. 

22 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

the last thing I want to do is drive around for 10 minutes and the schlep my way back to my apt. 

10 minutes?  Lol if youre lucky as shyt. 

Well the good news is youve got tons of good food and a hop skip n jump into nyc have fun

On 6/30/2016 at 5:56 PM, HighPitch said:

10 minutes?  Lol if youre lucky as shyt. 

Well the good news is youve got tons of good food and a hop skip n jump into nyc have fun

I'm out the door around 4:30 at the latest every day and thankfully for me there's a construction site on my street that is no parking 7am-6pm Mon-Friday that no one seems to want to park at, which has made my life extremely easy thus far. However, I am 100% going to be looking into getting a parking spot.  The N&Q being a five minute walk has been fantastic; I haven't tried any of the food in the area, but I hear it's great. 

Archived