Time for some grilling

Maxman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

I recently bought a two basket fryer for the tailgate. I'm gonna try it out on 4th of July

I have the same fryer you bought, it works great. A few things I figured out from using it,

• Don't fill the baskets too much, put in a little less than what you think is the full amount you can.
  • Crank the little gas knob to high just as you are about to drop the basket in, that will keep the oil temp recovery from the cold food going in.
  • Make sure the oil is hot enough before frying, oil that is not hot enough is why food gets grease soaked.
  • Constantly monitor the oil temp once you get to 250, it will spike fast. Don't ever walk away from the fryer while it is lit, I learned this the hard way, lol
  • Know your smoke point for the given oil used, once the oil gets there, and it gets there quick, it will burn and be no good. More importantly, it can cause a flash fire out of nowhere!

I use mine for frying up riceballs, and I used it for the Great Hot Dog Cookoff to deep fry large batches of dogs.

Just now, joebabyny said:

I have the same fryer you bought, it works great. A few things I figured out from using it,

• Don't fill the baskets too much, put in a little less than what you think is the full amount you can.
  • Crank the little gas knob to high just as you are about to drop the basket in, that will keep the oil temp recovery from the cold food going in.
  • Make sure the oil is hot enough before frying, oil that is not hot enough is why food gets grease soaked.
  • Constantly monitor the oil temp once you get to 250, it will spike fast. Don't ever walk away from the fryer while it is lit, I learned this the hard way, lol
  • Know your smoke point for the given oil used, once the oil gets there, and it gets there quick, it will burn and be no good. More importantly, it can cause a flash fire out of nowhere!
  • DO NOT USE IN THE RAIN or with the slightest hint of rain coming.

I use mine for frying up riceballs, and I used it for the Great Hot Dog Cookoff to deep fry large batches of dogs.

12 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

I recently bought a two basket fryer for the tailgate. I'm gonna try it out on 4th of July

Parking lot french fries sounds good. Really good, lol.

45 minutes ago, joebabyny said:

Thanks for the tips. I keep meaning to fire it up, but life gets in the way. 

30 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

Thanks for the tips. I keep meaning to fire it up, but life gets in the way. 

Yeah, the only thing that keeps me from using it much more is the amount of oil you have to commit to it, makes small impromptu fry sessions costly. I usually use peanut oil unless I want something non neutral for a particular dish, like using olive oil for riceballs. BTW, peanut oil is not considered an allergen. The allergen in peanuts is not present in highly refined peanut oil, but it is present in fancy cold pressed peanut oil.

1 hour ago, faba said:

Max avoids you in parking lot so you do not have to worry about that

This is true. I avoid everyone though. So it really isn't about Joe as much as it is my need for privacy lol.

On 4/12/2016 at 7:30 PM, joebabyny said:

HAHA, it is a pretty cool kitchen tool. I think if you buy a real deal smoker you will be using it constantly. We have to get you off the electric smoker! I A/B taste tested some ribs prepped and seasoned the same with one on a full on commercial cookshack electric, there is a huge difference.

Did you see that new weber that came out last week, the Summit Charcoal grill? It is a competitor to the Big Green Egg and those ceramic kamados. Lots of sticker shock at first but I am starting to hear some great things about it. If I wasn't spending my money on stuff I can use for my events then I would have one already.

Sorry I am loving my Masterbulit electric smoker I bought this year. It was bitch to control the temperature with the charcoal smoker. I now set the digital thermostat throw in woodchips  stick the meat thermometer in with the remote sending unit and sit in my house drink beer. 

On 6/5/2016 at 11:05 AM, F.Chowds said:

Sorry I am loving my Masterbulit electric smoker I bought this year. It was bitch to control the temperature with the charcoal smoker. I now set the digital thermostat throw in woodchips  stick the meat thermometer in with the remote sending unit and sit in my house drink beer. 

I use an electric smoker. It is a cheapo one but I don't use it enough to warrant the cost for a better one. Hopefully when life slows down a bit I will upgrade it but slow cooking stuff doesn't happen much because I don't really have the time.

Really would enjoy sitting on the patio on a Saturday afternoon and just waiting for dinner to cook. Someday, hopefully.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

I use an electric smoker. It is a cheapo one but I don't use it enough to warrant the cost for a better one. Hopefully when life slows down a bit I will upgrade it but slow cooking stuff doesn't happen much because I don't really have the time.

Really would enjoy sitting on the patio on a Saturday afternoon and just waiting for dinner to cook. Someday, hopefully.

Wife and I are looking at one of these......

http://www.kamadojoe.com

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I saw that over the weekend, it looks great. 

My outdoor budget is done after the griddle and a new grill. The old smoker will have to carry on and battle through injuries lol.

My neighbor has a Big Green Egg that cost more and has less standard features than the Kamado Joe 

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Wife and I are looking at one of these......

http://www.kamadojoe.com

The kamado cokers are pretty cool, they have a huge following. With this style cooker you pretty much have 3 manufacturers to choose from, Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, and Primo. There are others that are cheap and not as good, or super expensive beautiful works of art for the money-is-no-object crowd. 

Big Green Egg is the biggest name of the group. They are also more expensive once you add in the accessories you will need. They even charge extra for the legs!!!! I mean, are you going to buy it and lay it on the ground? Quality is first class, but make sure you get one from an authorized dealer.

KamadoJoe is a competitor to Big Green Egg and comes in with a cheaper price point, including some stuff that costs extra with the egg. The quality is pretty good and I would prolly go with a Joe over an egg. My friend Fred near Reading PA is a Kamado Joe dealer and does lots of cooking demos and videos online, http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/ check out his youtube page.

Primo is American made. The other cool thing is the oval shape, allowing easier indirect cooking. If I were buying one of these kamado style cookers, I would prolly go primo due to the shape.

Now, a few weeks ago Weber came out with something to take on these high end kamado cookers, and without a doubt it would be what I would buy in this pricerange over one of the clay kamados. It is the Weber Summit Charcoal grill. It is air insulated stainless steel, with a nice big cookin grate for direct and indirect cooking, has a gas charcoal ligher system, heat diffuser included, 2 charcoal grate positions, and really nice air damper design. The bbq community initially balked at the price when it was released, but now that people have gotten their hands on it, everyone is coming around. The biggest benefit of this over the clay kamados is ease of changing gears, going from high heat to low heat. With a clay kamado, if you are smoking low and overshoot temps and find yourself 100+ degrees over your target, it will take forever to get the temps back down do to thermal mass of the pit. With the air insulation of the weber, you can quickly change gears and it will be more forgiving with overshoots. Also, it is ligher and easier to move around and doesn't have the possibility of cracking like the traditional kamados do. There is no doubt that at the price range of the kamados, the weber would be mine.

You can't see it at home depot, you have to go to a premium weber dealer. Definitely take a look at it.

On 6/5/2016 at 11:05 AM, F.Chowds said:

Fire control is definitely a skill that takes some practice. It also is usually harder on the cheaper pits, making it even harder for novices learning on beginner pits. I do tell people that is is better to learn fire control first to have the skill before buying gadgets, but there are draft controllers like BBQ Guru which hook up a fan to the smoker and a temp probe and they regulate the temps pretty well, just set a temp on the controller and then every few hours add fuel. But hey, whatever works to get ya out there cookin'!

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Thanks joebabyny great reviews coming form a person who cooks like you its appreciated will definitely take a look at all your suggestions, any idea how much the Weber costs?

No worries, like I said, if i were buying a kamado, it would be the weber. Heck, if i were buying a grill that wasn't going to be a source of revenue or for cooking for 100+ people, I would have this one. It comes in 2 flavors, with and without the stainless steel cart. With the cart the minimum advertised prices is 1,999. The grill without the cart has a minimum advertised price of 1,499. Firecraft.com would probably be where I would order from if I couldn't find a local dealer who would beat their price, call them and see, they say they are selling them for the minimum allowed and doing free shipping. It is also a great site for supplies, I buy from them all the time.

So, this has nothing at all to do with football, but a lot to do with grilling meat:

I'm heading to Austin, TX for my Bach party next wednesday for 5 days, and obviously have scoped out the best places to get bbq according to online stuff (generally touristy advice) - but any suggestions from the masters here?

5 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

So, this has nothing at all to do with football, but a lot to do with grilling meat:

I'm heading to Austin, TX for my Bach party next wednesday for 5 days, and obviously have scoped out the best places to get bbq according to online stuff (generally touristy advice) - but any suggestions from the masters here?

Well, Franklin BBQ is the center of the beef bbq world these days, and from every well informed bbq nerd I know, his reputation is deserved. You have to get there early, like 7am early. You want brisket, and you want it from the "moist" or "fatty" or if you want to sound like you know what you are talking about ask for it from the "point end." Do not bother with pork there, or really anywhere in texas. The Tipsy Texan sandwich on the menu is a great value too.

Louie Mueller BBQ is the other spot to visit. Brisket is also phenomenal here, maybe a hair less so than Franklin. The thing you need to have here is the beef ribs. These are not the sorry beef back ribs you wold get at a sorry chain bbq restaurant, they are short ribs. They are expensive, but you really only need one as it could weigh up to 2lbs. The sausage is also excellent.

I would hit up Franklin for some point end brisket and the texan sandwich, and I would hit Louie Mueller for a beef rib and some jalapeno sausage.

15 hours ago, joebabyny said:

Well, Franklin BBQ is the center of the beef bbq world these days, and from every well informed bbq nerd I know, his reputation is deserved. You have to get there early, like 7am early. You want brisket, and you want it from the "moist" or "fatty" or if you want to sound like you know what you are talking about ask for it from the "point end." Do not bother with pork there, or really anywhere in texas. The Tipsy Texan sandwich on the menu is a great value too.

Louie Mueller BBQ is the other spot to visit. Brisket is also phenomenal here, maybe a hair less so than Franklin. The thing you need to have here is the beef ribs. These are not the sorry beef back ribs you wold get at a sorry chain bbq restaurant, they are short ribs. They are expensive, but you really only need one as it could weigh up to 2lbs. The sausage is also excellent.

I would hit up Franklin for some point end brisket and the texan sandwich, and I would hit Louie Mueller for a beef rib and some jalapeno sausage.

Awesome stuff man - thanks for the suggestions.

Have you tried the food truck "La Barbecue" and if so, what do you think? It was ranked #2 & #3 (behind Franklin of course) on Thrillist and Yelp, respectively, and for a food truck, it has an unreal 4.5 star rating on yelp aggregating almost 1000 reviews....so this isn't just a few friends and family boosting it up. 

We've heard about the lines and waits and potential early sellouts at Franklin, and with the way we have our trip planned out, it's probably not feasible. So we're thinking of just doing La Barbecue instead. It'd be great if you or anyone else had some insight on it. 

16 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Awesome stuff man - thanks for the suggestions.

Have you tried the food truck "La Barbecue" and if so, what do you think? It was ranked #2 & #3 (behind Franklin of course) on Thrillist and Yelp, respectively, and for a food truck, it has an unreal 4.5 star rating on yelp aggregating almost 1000 reviews....so this isn't just a few friends and family boosting it up. 

We've heard about the lines and waits and potential early sellouts at Franklin, and with the way we have our trip planned out, it's probably not feasible. So we're thinking of just doing La Barbecue instead. It'd be great if you or anyone else had some insight on it. 

I have heard great things about La Barbecue, probably the 3rd place i would have mentioned. Heard both the brisket and sausage are great. I also heard you can email them your order, but don't know how that works.

Franklin usually sells out by 2-2:30pm i think.

Archived