Is WR in play at 20

David Harris

I'm really hoping for an OLB, we're all thinking OLB or OT...but we may have our pick of the litter at WR.  Devin Smith is coming off an ACL and looked bad- I don't see him contributing much this season. Enunwa and Kenbrell and bottom rung guys.  

The value might be there.  

15 hours ago, David Harris said:

I'm really hoping for an OLB, we're all thinking OLB or OT...but we may have our pick of the litter at WR.  Devin Smith is coming off an ACL and looked bad- I don't see him contributing much this season. Enunwa and Kenbrell and bottom rung guys.  

I think you would have to be so blown away by a WR to take them there. BPA sure...but if it is close you are going to avoid a WR there.

Doesn't matter, they are trading up for the franchise QB anyhow.

Treadwell runs 4.63 and 4.65 at his proday, begins his inevitable slip down draft boards...to the #20 spot.  

82 receptions for 1153 yards, 11 TDs this past season at Ole Miss; when defenses knew he was getting the ball they still couldn't stop him.  Imagine having him learn from Brandon Marshall how to "Brandon Marshall".  

Yeah, saw the 40 - I think Treadwell will be there, the question is if we take him. Based on need the answer is no, there a lot of OLB guys this year. Can you get one in the second if you take Treadwell at 20. 

Min a perfect world you go OLB then OL with the first 2 picks but Mac taking Leonard Williams last year tells you he won't be afraid to take a wideout high if he thinks it's a value.

I'd rather take debateably the best WR in the draft, then the 3rd best RT.... so yea, of course a WR is possible at #20. Depends on the competition.

I think the jets have plan A and plan B for addressing the QB position in rnds 1/2... if those plans are blown up by means out of our control, then anything's possible in this draft. 

I would like to see them draft a WR too but if the Jets aren't sold on any of the top WRs they could first see if they could trade back.  If Fuller, Doctson, and Coleman are still available and Jets have their eye on someone else, perhaps propose a trade to the Bengals.  They need a WR and would jump ahead of the Texans (need a WR) and the Vikings (need a WR) to get the first shot at one of the remaining top WRs.  The only other team between the Bengals pick at 24 and the Jets at 20 would be the Redskins which is likely to go DT/NT. Perhaps the Jets' #20 (1st round) and #118 (4th Round) for the Bengals' #24 (1st Round) and #87 (3rd Round).  Also, I don't think any of these teams would select a QB if that is what the Jets were intending on drafting.  Moving back 4 spots in the 1st and still possibly getting the player that they would have selected at #20 and move up 31 spots into the 3rd round.

It definitely is at play, although I'm not sure I'd take any of these guys at #20. There will most likely be better option.

Especially Treadwell. He has all the makings of a #2 receiver. I'll pass on him (especially after seeing him get shut down against Florida)

From watching tapes, I think Doctson is an absolute stud, reminds me of Beckham actually, albeit slower.  Makes a ton of catches away from his body, can run, and win at the high point.  It's not a need for us, and certainly would be a luxury pick, but I think he'd be great in this offense.  I might do a scouting breakdown on him, just loved watching his tape.  I'm hesitating because I have this strong feeling we won't pick a first round WR, so for Jet fan's purposes, I'm wasting my time.   

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

From watching tapes, I think Doctson is an absolute stud, reminds me of Beckham actually, albeit slower.  Makes a ton of catches away from his body, can run, and win at the high point.  It's not a need for us, and certainly would be a luxury pick, but I think he'd be great in this offense.  I might do a scouting breakdown on him, just loved watching his tape.  I'm hesitating because I have this strong feeling we won't pick a first round WR, so for Jet fan's purposes, I'm wasting my time.   

I like doctson a lot also, walterfootball has him as a 2nd-3rd round pick, so maybe if the jets get a 2nd for Mo they could pick him

16 hours ago, win4ever said:

I'm probably one of the most "un-sold" people out there on Doctson, but that's partially because of how he's represented in draft-media.

While yes, he's a RZ threat thanks to his ability to win by high-pointing the catch - he's NOT a downfield receiver. He's got good short-area speed, but i saw very little to suggest he'll be anything more than a deluxe possession WR. Doctson is much more Jordan Matthews than he is Beckham - but the problem is, I didn't see him show enough physical chops to work the middle of the field. He ran almost exclusively on the outside and seem to only be comfortable when he was hip-hugging the sidelines. I have some real concerns there.

It's not to say I don't like him at all, but IMO - he doesn't profile well. He's going to have be a Y or Z receiver and I'm not convinced he has what it takes yet. He'd be no more than 7th or 8th WR on my board.  

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'm probably one of the most "un-sold" people out there on Doctson, but that's partially because of how he's represented in draft-media.

While yes, he's a RZ threat thanks to his ability to win by high-pointing the catch - he's NOT a downfield receiver. He's got good short-area speed, but i saw very little to suggest he'll be anything more than a deluxe possession WR. Doctson is much more Jordan Matthews than he is Beckham - but the problem is, I didn't see him show enough physical chops to work the middle of the field. He ran almost exclusively on the outside and seem to only be comfortable when he was hip-hugging the sidelines. I have some real concerns there.

It's not to say I don't like him at all, but IMO - he doesn't profile well. He's going to have be a Y or Z receiver and I'm not convinced he has what it takes yet. He'd be no more than 7th or 8th WR on my board.  

I think he has more than enough speed and short area burst to win the inside route, he had a pretty good 3 cone drill time, and runs at basically 4.4 speed.   I love how aggressive he is going after the ball.   I've seen him work the middle of the field a decent amount, and has enough physicality to win one on one matchups.  I'm not sure he's going to be a Y, but I think he'd be fine as a Z receiver.  

Gailey also seems to love Decker in the slot, which would leave an outside spot for Doctson to thrive at.  A set with Marshall/Decker/Doctson/Smith provides a ton of matchup problems be it with speed or size.  

Now, I'm not sure we're looking at a WR early, but if he drops, I would have no problem picking him in the first round.  After watching a few guys, Treadwell and Doctson to me stand out a ton.   The guy I worry about is Thomas, for such an athletically gifted guy, he doesn't stand out enough on tape.   

On 4/9/2016 at 9:44 PM, Colgateman said:

I like doctson a lot also, walterfootball has him as a 2nd-3rd round pick, so maybe if the jets get a 2nd for Mo they could pick him

I don't think he makes it to the second round (but I've been wrong before, lol) and certainly not to our pick in the 2nd.  Unless he starts hanging out with Manziel, I think he's a lock for the first round, reminds me somewhat of Kevin White last year.  

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:05 AM, David Harris said:

There is no WR in this draft worth a first round pick in my opinion (not even Treadwell though he will go in the first). Devin Smith looked like he needs some time to develop but part of his problem was simply the ball was not accurately thrown to him. He isn't a huge lankey guy who can reach for a ball thrown 10 feet away from him. Enunwa they use more in a tight end role and is probably only still on our roster due to his blocking ability (an important role) Thompkins showed some flashes that he could maybe become something decent and if nothing else he is a valuable depth player.

Interesting article pertaining to 21 of some of the top wide receiver prospects this year: Reception Perception 2016.  Harmon usually does this for NFL wide receivers but I think this was the first year he did college.  Shows route percentages, vs coverage, contested catch rate, etc.  Doctson shows up really well on these metrics but did spend most of his time on the outside (maybe not very versatile).  Whereas Tyler Boyd was really versatile but not as successful.  If the Jets were to select a wide receiver, what role would the wide receiver fulfill? Role-wise OSU Michael Thomas and Treadwell look like players to replace Marshall, Fuller is sort of a Devin Smith type but a poor catch rate and Doctson seems like he could fill the Decker role.  Not saying these guys are comparable skill-wise but where in the offense they would fit?  Coleman would add a different dimension to the offense.  Seems to me the type of guy you need to get out into space (running deep or screens) but not really the guy that you can just throw the ball up to.  The other wide receivers seem to be more in the mold of Marshall and Decker.

Archived