Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Integrity28

First trailer:

This looks AMAZING.

I love the casting... and LOVED seeing the classic AT-AT and Stormtrooper outfits. Another strong female lead here, which is terrific. Maybe this will give us some insight, or at least more to speculate on, regarding Rey's parents.

Got the same goosebumps from this that I did from The Force Awakens trailer.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Wait for the sequel then. There'll be loads of dead Bothans in that.

That trailer looked great.

That is the outside the box thinking I can get behind.

10 minutes ago, rillo said:

Force awakens was very meh...

Fair enough. I enjoyed it, but I had a very clear idea of what it needed to be to be a great "experience", not necessarily a "great film". It all comes down to what you want to get out of it.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Fair enough. I enjoyed it, but I had a very clear idea of what it needed to be to be a great "experience", not necessarily a "great film". It all comes down to what you want to get out of it.

I hear ya. I'm watching this regardless, but I'm used to these movies takes a couple of years to come out. This December seems fast is all.

• 7 months later...

I cannot believe there isn't more chatter about this film... all of the trailers have been great. The movie, in some ways, looks like it could be better than TFA. It's guaranteed that they cannot reboot the Death Star plot line, nobody's childhood hero is going to die, and the cast is loaded with proven talents... I'm psyched.

46 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I cannot believe there isn't more chatter about this film... all of the trailers have been great. The movie, in some ways, looks like it could be better than TFA. It's guaranteed that they cannot reboot the Death Star plot line, nobody's childhood hero is going to die, and the cast is loaded with proven talents... I'm psyched.

Ummmm....I think the entire movie is actually about finding the schematics to the Death Star. lol

It's Star Wars, so there is a child like excitement for me and I will definitely be going to see it.  I think the lack of sheer anticipation is the fact that TFA is now on TV and I've got to watch it again and now the nostalgia has wore off.  So I finally got see the movie for what it is removing the child nostalgia i experienced in the movie theater.  And, it's really not a good movie.  The acting is absolutely terrible and the additional plot they added is just kind of dumb and really just doesnt make any sense.  I felt like I was watching a C level movie from 1985. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

What's it about timeframe wise? I get so confused.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Ummmm....I think the entire movie is actually about finding the schematics to the Death Star. lol

It's Star Wars, so there is a child like excitement for me and I will definitely be going to see it.  I think the lack of sheer anticipation is the fact that TFA is now on TV and I've got to watch it again and now the nostalgia has wore off.  So I finally got see the movie for what it is removing the child nostalgia i experienced in the movie theater.  And, it's really not a good movie.  The acting is absolutely terrible and the additional plot they added is just kind of dumb and really just doesnt make any sense.  I felt like I was watching a C level movie from 1985. 

Ummmm... which means the central threat isn't going to be a giant space gun that is on the verge of functionality, with home planet in the cross-hairs, and a one in a million chance of stopping it.

Instead, the central threat isn't really defined. Therefore, they can take this film in a lot of different directions. TFA piggy-backed on ANH so much for story devices, that the film was just a heavy dose of nostalgia. This film, however, stands a chance at delivering some nostalgia with new plot devices... I hope.

24 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Ummmm... which means the central threat isn't going to be a giant space gun that is on the verge of functionality, with home planet in the cross-hairs, and a one in a million chance of stopping it.

Instead, the central threat isn't really defined. Therefore, they can take this film in a lot of different directions. TFA piggy-backed on ANH so much for story devices, that the film was just a heavy dose of nostalgia. This film, however, stands a chance at delivering some nostalgia with new plot devices... I hope.

The central threat is still the Empire and the looming Death Star, I dont think that's changed.  Are you saying it different because it's not operational yet?

That said, I agree, this presents a new story and I'm excited about that aspect.  I guess I'm just being sour because upon a 2nd watch, TFA just really wasnt a good movie.

Doe Rogue One have the same director? 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The central threat is still the Empire and the looming Death Star, I dont think that's changed.  Are you saying it different because it's not operational yet?

That said, I agree, this presents a new story and I'm excited about that aspect.  I guess I'm just being sour because upon a 2nd watch, TFA just really wasnt a good movie.

Doe Rogue One have the same director? 

You're hitting on what I'm excited about. New director. No reason to be sour based on trailers so far... this will go beyond pandering to fanboys and nostalgia.

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

Side note: so I watched the doc, I am Your Father...I think it's called. About the original Darth Vader actor, pretty cool. 

What i learned was they originally shot Star Wars (new hope) as a stand alone film with little expectations.

some directors said the rough cut was one of the worst movies ever made, and Lucas didn't even attend the premier he was so embarrassed.

I also read that prowse didn't know his voice was going to be dubbed, and he acted out all the lines, did they say anything about that?

1 hour ago, Larz said:

some directors said the rough cut was one of the worst movies ever made, and Lucas didn't even attend the premier he was so embarrassed.

I also read that prowse didn't know his voice was going to be dubbed, and he acted out all the lines, did they say anything about that?

Yes! That was talked about too. A bunch of cool little tidbits for hardcore fans. Some of the doc is a little boring but overall you pick up some cool facts. I think it's on Netflix. 

31 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Opening night tickets procured. I am very much a fan of reserved seating and lounge chairs. Whomever thought of that should be awarded a Nobel Prize.

True story I've had that idea for more than a decade. I swear I did. I swear. 

A theather with lounge chairs and sushi and drinks and stuff and there'd be late night screenings of obscure criterion sh*t and such. 

23 minutes ago, HessStation said:

A theather with lounge chairs and sushi and drinks and stuff and there'd be late night screenings of obscure criterion sh*t and such. 

There is a famous theater called Music Box here on the Northside that does that. Very well-known for doing a screening of Rocky Horror once per month. Minus the lounge chairs, but they retrofitted the main theater with a 70mm film projector when Hateful Eight came out and they kept it for older viewings every week, Hitchcock, Sergio Leone...etc. Late night events every weekend too.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

There is a reason the editors of A New Hope won an Oscar.

22 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There is a reason the editors of A New Hope won an Oscar.

yeah I read the dogfight scenes in the rough cut were WWII scenes, must have killed the mood, lol

spielberg and lucas made a bet before close enounters came out, each director thought the others movie would make more money so they bet 2.5% of the gross, and star wars crushed close encounters, so spielberg has made over $40 million, lol

11 hours ago, Larz said:

Probably for the best. " 'Ullo there Luuuuuke, Oi'me yuuurrr faaaarrtherrrrrr"  probably wouldn't have had quite the same dramatic effect

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Opening night tickets procured. I am very much a fan of reserved seating and lounge chairs. Whomever thought of that should be awarded a Nobel Prize.

Agreed, this concept appeals to every bit of the old fart in me. I think it's awesome.

11 hours ago, HessStation said:

lol, lots of theaters by me do this... but I can one-up you on the "good idea". In college, I conceived of and branded (design school) a fake company that sold movie tickets online and let you rent movies from them, like Blockbuster Video. At the time, there was no Flixter or Netflix or any of this sh*t. Every other student just re-branded an already existing brand.

lol, should have gone somewhere like Babson where they jump all over entrepreneurial opportunities... 

16 hours ago, Larz said:

Prowse found out his lines were dubbed when he went to the premier.   Have you ever heard his voice?   It's awful.

Love these guys

Just made up stuff that sounds plausible and fun.

Archived