D'Brickahaw Ferguson Retired (merged)

BroadwayJets

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that might explain the FO's being sorta of cloudy on his future.  Maybe it was never about the team getting rid of him but he was seriously contemplating retirement.  I know the concussion stuff has really affected him.  He's had a very healthy career and probably considers himself very lucky in that regard.  Now if the team wasn't talking paycut let's be honest he probably would've left that money on the table.  But based on his current worth he probably realized it wasn't worth it.

Brick

Total class guy.  Never said a bad word, never missed a day of work, you know being in the NFL he played and practiced through a lot of injuries that he never talked about.  I will miss him as a player, and I hope him all the best going forward.

3 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Wow that might explain the FO's being sorta of cloudy on his future.  Maybe it was never about the team getting rid of him but he was seriously contemplating retirement.  I know the concussion stuff has really affected him.  He's had a very healthy career and probably considers himself very lucky in that regard.  Now if the team wasn't talking paycut let's be honest he probably would've left that money on the table.  But based on his current worth he probably realized it wasn't worth it.

good point.  i couldn't imagine a team not talking to their LT all off season.  i bet Brick told them he was contemplating retirement so they let him have his time and make his decision.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Brick

Total class guy.  Never said a bad word, never missed a day of work, you know being in the NFL he played and practiced through a lot of injuries that he never talked about.  I will miss him as a player, and I hope him all the best going forward.

This should be the first and last post of this thread - before it devolves into something ugly.

Regardless of good or bad, expensive or valuable; whatever others may opine...the fact is, he was a great Jet. 

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Changes a lot.  Might change  the thinking on Mo.

The cap space is great but we have a huge hole at LT now so it's not really an ideal situation.  Brick owes the Jets nothing but it would've been nice if this decision was made earlier so the team could free up the cap space and bring a FA LT.  The last thing you want is to go into the draft with a gapping hole forcing you to reach on a player in the early rounds.  Macc's gonna have to find another option either via Free Agency or by trade.  Maybe they work it into a Mo Wilk trade?  Who knows but Macc's earning his money this offseason

An all time great Jet. Gave his heart and soul, and was as reliable a Jet as I've ever witnessed.  With that said, I think this is just Dbrick being a little offended and I bet he ends up playing next season. 

For those saying that it will  help free up space, you are kind of missing the point that we now need to spend all of his money finding a replacement. It ain't easy finding a player as reliable as Dbrick is. People took him for granted. He showed up every week to play and played well. Was he an all time great? No. But he was very good and very durable. 

4 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Guess they should have given him a call before April, while simultaneously trying to spin it in the media that Fitz hinges on him willingly taking a pay cut. Good for him, it was a dick move. Sucks for us

I'm sure they had an idea that he was considering retirement for months.

I've read that he will pursue a career in politics after his Jets career was over.  Guess he figured its time to start his new life.

Class act, who always was there after a win or loss, with a comment and not hiding in the back of his locker

Can't remember if it was a poster here or on Reddit but that poster called this yesterday or the day before. He said he heard it from reliable sources. I didn't believe it at the time but I guess that guy was right.

In either case, Brick was a great Jet. I know a few guys from the Nissan dealership where he services his car (pretty sure it was a GT-R) and they always said what a great guy he was. They even got him to sign a hat for me since they knew I was a big Jets fan. I wish him nothing but the best!

... Ferguson walking away would not blindside the Jets. The veteran left tackle has kept them in the loop throughout.

I guess we can put the "jets forced him to retire" narrative to rest before it starts. 

Also seeing everywhere that the concussion movie really put things into perspective for him.

12 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Brick

agreed !

;)

Jets handled this poorly.. He would've played if the money was right.. We wanted him to take a pretty hefty pay cut. Brick wouldn't have got a ton on the open market at this point and wasn't going to play for another team on the cheap either.. But he would have played if the money was right.. We should have approached him much earlier so we could have signed a replacement.. Now we go into the draft with this as our #1 need.

A lot of people bashing him this offseason, they're gonna learn quickly how even in decline he was still better than what open market typically allows for LT's.  I'm glad he retired a Jet.  Never missed a game, never caused trouble, continuously one of the better LT's in the league.  He deserves nothing but the utmost respect from Jets fans. 

I've said it the past few seasons, Brick never quite struck me as the most passionate guy on this team... he seemed to be okay with that Rex mentality of "however we did, was good enough". 

He was a good Jets, and a good local story. I just wish he had more heart... that big grin after losing to Buffalo was disgusting.

Archived