2016-17 NCAA Basketball Thread

Jetsfan80

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

K is constantly working the officials, watch as they head to TV timeouts and instead of coaching his team he is working the refs.  he also teaches his players to sell the fouls and the refs fall for it.  they flop, snap their heads back(did you see the elbow Allen gave Robinson at UNC last week? he snapped his head back and they called the foul on UNC), throw themselves on the ground.  it's embarrassing and it has ruined the game of basketball.

It's insane.  He's on the refs more than any coach I've ever seen.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The East is brutal, but fun (especially on this thread, it seems..)

Not a huge fan of Nova having to deal with Wisconsin in the 2nd round. I'm sure they aren't either. 

Waiting to hear back from the university whether I am able to purchase East regional tickets.  They are going for a very pretty penny otherwise...

too many people are picking UNCW so I am going w/ UVa.  I wouldn't be shocked if it happened as UVa is not a good tourney team but these smaller schools usually pull the upsets when they are overlooked.  I don't see UVa overlooking this team that hung w/ duke last year and w/ so many people picking them this year.

I'm picking UNCW in my brackets! UVA is not the same as last year. Brogdon their best player for the past few years is gone, and that transfer kid Nichols dismissal left them thin in the front court. Their bigs are very mediocre IMO if asked to provide scoring, and I think Wilkins (?) may not be 100%.

I'm probably going tomorrow morning to watch games at Buffalo Wild Wings!

I am waffling on Mid Tn State b/c of that too but UVa is better than Minnesota.  what's great about the Tourney is almost anything can happen in round 1 so outside of 1's or 2's losing nothing is really that shocking.

I've filled out 14 brackets so far.  Here's who I have going to the Final 4 the most often across my brackets:

Duke (7)

Gonzaga (7)

UNC (6)

Kentucky (6)

Kansas (5)

Villanova (4)

Louisville (4)

Arizona (3)

UCLA (3)

West Virginia (3)

Oregon (2)

Michigan (2)

Baylor

Florida

Florida State

UNCW (lol, had to on 1 bracket)

And this is who I have winning it all the most:

Kentucky (3)

Duke (2)

UNC (2)

Villanova (2)

West Virginia

Louisville

Gonzaga

UCLA

Kansas

So yeah, kinda weird I ended up with Kentucky going deep on so many, but it's hard to count out a Calipari-coached team in the tournament, even if I hate him a lot.  I think that region is a relatively easy path for both UNC and Kentucky, so I have UNC and Kentucky meeting up a lot in the Elite 8, and have Kentucky winning slightly more often.  

And yeah, I also think this is the year Gonzaga gets to the Final 4.  We say that every year, but this team has more "swagger" than years past.  I have them losing to West Virginia in several brackets, however. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I've filled out 14 brackets so far.  Here's who I have going to the Final 4 the most often across my brackets:

Duke (7)

Gonzaga (7)

UNC (6)

Kentucky (6)

Kansas (5)

Villanova (4)

Louisville (4)

Arizona (3)

UCLA (3)

West Virginia (3)

Oregon (2)

Michigan (2)

Baylor

Florida

Florida State

UNCW (lol, had to on 1 bracket)

And this is who I have winning it all the most:

Kentucky (3)

Duke (2)

UNC (2)

Villanova (2)

West Virginia

Louisville

Gonzaga

UCLA

Kansas

So yeah, kinda weird I ended up with Kentucky going deep on so many, but it's hard to count out a Calipari-coached team in the tournament, even if I hate him a lot.  I think that region is a relatively easy path for both UNC and Kentucky, so I have UNC and Kentucky meeting up a lot in the Elite 8, and have Kentucky winning slightly more often.  

And yeah, I also think this is the year Gonzaga gets to the Final 4.  We say that every year, but this team has more "swagger" than years past.  I have them losing to West Virginia in several brackets, however. 

that's a lot of brackets, which one is your official bracket?

54 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that's a lot of brackets, which one is your official bracket?

The only one I'm putting any money on is the first one I filled out.  In that one I went with West Virginia over Kentucky in the title game.  West Virginia's turnover margin (+8.2) is what makes me believe in them.  The teams that make the fewest mistakes and cause their opponents to make the most mistakes on a consistent basis can win in a tournament. 

Now having said that, WVU will undoubtedly get beaten by Bucknell in the 1st round. 

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The only one I'm putting any money on is the first one I filled out.  In that one I went with West Virginia over Kentucky in the title game.  West Virginia's turnover margin (+8.2) is what makes me believe in them.  The teams that make the fewest mistakes and cause their opponents to make the most mistakes on a consistent basis can win in a tournament. 

Now having said that, WVU will undoubtedly get beaten by Bucknell in the 1st round. 

ha, I think I have WVU losing in rd 1. 

I will post my official picks tomorrow, hopefully everyone else will do the same and we can have some fun.

8 hours ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

I can't find UCONN? Only the women. And yet they are supposed to be on par with Duke as a CB powerhouse?

Look up NCAA men's championships over the past 10, 20, or 30 years. You'll find them more than any other school. Twice while stomping duke out. 

UConn's on the sidelines because two of our top three guys went down for the year in October.

Have your fun this year while you can. 

10 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Look up NCAA men's championships over the past 10, 20, or 30 years. You'll find them more than any other school. Twice while stomping duke out. 

UConn's on the sidelines because two of our top three guys went down for the year in October.

giphy.gif

My picks for the Tourney:

East Region

1st rd:

Nova over MSM

VT over Wisc

UVa over UNCW

ETSU over UF

SMU over USC

Baylor over NMSU

SC over Marq

duke over Troy

2nd Rd:

Nova over VT

UVa over ETSU

SMU over Baylor

duke over SC

Sweet 16:

Nova over UVa

SMU over duke

Elie 8:

Villanova over SMU

West Region

1st rd:

Gon over SD St

Vandy over NW

ND over Prince

Bucknell over WVU

Xavier over MD

FSU over FGCU

SM over VCU

AZ over UND

2nd rd:

Gon over Vandy

ND over Buck

FSU over Xavier

AZ over SM

Sweet 16:

Gon over ND

AZ over FSU

Elie 8:

Gonzaga over Arizona

Midwest Region

1st Rd:

KU over UCD

Mia over MSU

Nevada over ISU

Purdue over Verm

URI over Creighton

Oregon over Iona

Mich over Ok State

Lou over JVst

2nd rd:

KU over Mia

Purdue over Nevada

Oregon over URI

Lou over Mich

Sweet 16:

Purdue over KU

Lou over Oregon

Elite 8:

Louisville over Purdue

South Region

1st rd:

UNC over TX so.

Ark over SH

MTSU over Minn

Butler over Winthrop

Cin over KSU

UCLA over Kent

Dayton over WSU

UK over NKU

2nd rd:

UNC over Ark

Butler over MTSU

Cin over UCLA

Uk over Dayton

Sweet 16:

UNC over Butler

UK over Cin

Elite 8:

North Carolina over Kentucky

12 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

El Amin and Rip Hamilton are long gone...

Archived