The Spring Kickoff Burger

joebabyny

It's that time of the year, the beginning of ramp season. I don't know about where you are, but here in NY when ramps start popping up at the green markets the competition to snag some can get fierce. Both foodies and chefs alike go crazy for the wild onions. You will see them popping up on instagram and on seasonal menus of great restaurants.

The ramp is the first leafy green vegetable of the season to pop up, growing wild in a forest setting. They are a cross between a scallion and a leek with a pleasantly strong garlicy, onion flavor.

rampburgerfb3.jpg

For my first batch of ramps, I tossed them in olive oil and sea salt and threw them on a weber kettle, along with some burgers. The burger is a brisket/chuck/short rib blend, topped with smoked gouda, grilled ramps, sweet red pepper cream, and a brioche bun. This was seriously one of the greatest burgers I have ever cooked or eaten anywhere!

rampburgerfb2.jpg
rampburgerfb.jpg

Another burger I did using those ramps....

rampspreadburgerjn.jpg

Another day, another burger. While thinking of ways to use the wild ramps someone gave me, I thought about scallions since ramps are a wild grown cousin and where scallions appear in my world as a NYer. Thinking this while at a bagel store kinda helped! Scallion cream cheese yo!! What real New Yorker doesn't identify with bagels with a schmear, and what flavor is better than scallion. Ok, but a cream cheese won't really hold up on its own as a burger topping, the heat will liquefy it. So what is kinda like a cream cheese but better suited to burgers? Then I thought of pimento cheese, "Texas Caviar," and how that was based in part on cream cheese, at least some recipes. Anyway, it was close enough. So combining the two, a NY classic bagel topping and a Texas classic spread, using ramps, and I have this, I just don't know what to call it yet!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived