Kevin Hogan: Better Prospect than Cook/Lynch.

Villain The Foe

6 hours ago, PepPep said:

I agree in general that passing on Lynch -if he is there- and going in a different direction while possibly addressing the QB position in the later rounds- or not at all in THIS draft (considering Fitz may still be back, and we have Petty and Geno) may be the best way to go.

BUT. The Jets looked at Lynch closely and met with him. He has a number of things to work on and may never develop into a good NFL QB. But he may also have the most upside of any QB in the draft. Size matters in the NFL. Arm strength matters. Athleticism matters. Along with all the other things. Scouts look for the measurables- things you can't teach. After that, you look at their mechanics, football IQ, leadership, intelligence, etc., etc., etc. Hogan can have all the OTHER things you look for in a QB, but if he doesn't have the size, athleticism or arm strength, it could seriously limit his effectiveness in the NFL. And you can never 'learn' those.     

If the Jets believe Lynch could be THE guy. If they see the great upside and see that his weaknesses can be fixed, I have no problem with them taking a gamble on Lynch. I would rather they DID NOT trade up for him. But if he ends up being a Franchise QB (even if he doesn't lead the Jets to the promised land) and the Jets miss out on a number of very good players they could have gotten via a trade down or a Pro Bowler if they just went with a different guy at 20- IT WILL BE WORTH IT.   

Hindsight is 20/20 but I like a team that is willing to roll the dice on a high-upside prospect early in the draft, even if it is a QB. 

We can place the hypotheticals on any QB. "may have the most upside of any QB". Size matters in the NFL, only because size is sought out, however, if you ask me who's the better QB, Joe Flacco or Drew Brees...we both know the answer to that question. Talent and ability is what you want most of all. Measurables are liked, but are not a deal breaker when talent can obviously trump that card. 

Now, im not saying that Lynch has no chance, anyone does. But measurables mean nothing to me because 1 year from now its going to be about how you played on the field, not how tall you are. 

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We can place the hypotheticals on any QB. "may have the most upside of any QB". Size matters in the NFL, only because size is sought out, however, if you ask me who's the better QB, Joe Flacco or Drew Brees...we both know the answer to that question. Talent and ability is what you want most of all. Measurables are liked, but are not a deal breaker when talent can obviously trump that card. 

Now, im not saying that Lynch has no chance, anyone does. But measurables mean nothing to me because 1 year from now its going to be about how you played on the field, not how tall you are. 

"But measurables mean nothing to me because 1 year from now its going to be about how you played on the field, not how tall you are."

Right, I think we can all agree on that.

I'm just saying that size, athleticism and arm power can't really be taught (Drew Brees has a great arm-BTW). Which is why scouts covet those aspects of QBs so much. But mechanics, accuracy, pocket presence, decision making- CAN be taught (to an extent). Of course, that doesn't mean shorter QBs without a great arm can't succeed in the NFL or that all big, strong armed QBs can be taught to be good players.     

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:57 PM, dbatesman said:

Not sure about Lynch, but he's absolutely a better prospect than Cook.

He has a flaw in his throwing motion. Until that has been fixed I say no. What Hogan does have is he ran a pro type offense at Stanford.

By my count there are notable QBs that met the 26-27-60 rule this year.

Jared Goff:  34 Wonderlic, 37 Starts, 63.9 CMP%
Kevin Hogan:  38 Wonderlic, 41 Starts, 65.9 CMP%
Jeff Driskel:  29 Wonderlic, 42 Starts, 60.7 CMP%
Nate Sudfeld:  28 Wonderlic, 38 Starts, 60.3 CMP%

Anyone interested in watching intelligence, accurate passing, going through progressions, breaking tackles as a scrambler and a great audible play to ice a game? Watch this video of Kevin Hogan back during his sophomore season in 2013. Its a crime that this guy isnt talked about as a 1st round pick today. 

Archived