The giant mistake that was signing Jacoby Ellsbury

Morrissey

See why I cited batting average, Gato? Because I was trying to make a point to someone that just used RBIs. Know your audience. Dr. Detroit don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band. It ain't what he calls rock n roll.

On 5/2/2016 at 0:39 AM, The Troll said:

See why I cited batting average, Gato? Because I was trying to make a point to someone that just used RBIs. Know your audience. Dr. Detroit don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band. It ain't what he calls rock n roll.

Yeah, I don't know what you're talking about for the most part there, but the guy is at least aware that hitting in Safeco is not the same as hitting in Yankee Stadium. That's a step up from batting average. Seemed like he was dropping down to your level by mentioning RBIs.

4 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Throw Chase Headley in there as well.

Man that dude has become the Yankees version of Jayson Bay. He sucks !!!!

Do they have Refsnyder playing 3rd at Scranton ? 

Forgot about him

Give them another month of this crap, and start getting any kids up who can play.

Headley has a history of back issues, I wonder if they have come back.

Cano continues to lead the league in HRs, is 6th in fWAR, 14th in wOBA....Oh, and he's hitting .305/.355/.633 right now at this arbitrary endpoint. He's like half a WAR away, if that, from giving them surplus value on this year's salary yet again.

31 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Cano continues to lead the league in HRs, is 6th in fWAR, 14th in wOBA....Oh, and he's hitting .305/.355/.633 right now at this arbitrary endpoint. He's like half a WAR away, if that, from giving them surplus value on this year's salary yet again.

Totally a missed player. 

It's still a 10 year deal.  Luckily, the Yanks offense doesn't need any help right now..  

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Totally a missed player. 

It's still a 10 year deal.  Luckily, the Yanks offense doesn't need any help right now..  

We're locked into Ellsbury for another 5 years and outfielders are literally dime a dozen

Just now, drdetroit said:

We're locked into Ellsbury for another 5 years and outfielders are literally dime a dozen

The Ellsbury deal is awful.   Not arguing.  Not one bit.  That doesn't mean that Cano's is going to work out long term.

Just now, chirorob said:

The Ellsbury deal is awful.   Not arguing.  Not one bit.  That doesn't mean that Cano's is going to work out long term.

Nobody has any definition for this, it's just a nonsensical/baseless thing people say because it sounds insightful rather than the cheap and lazy claim it is (sorry if this sounds harsh, it's reeeeeeeally annoying how much sports fans bitch about sports contracts - get over it, I say!). Assuming it's about 10 million/WAR in FA these days, not hard to imagine given what the Dodgers gave to Brett Anderson in 2015, Cano's covered about half his deal already. That's not even factoring sh*t like inflation, attendance boosts from fielding more competitive and competitive teams, any playoff appearances and revenues they might make over the span of the contract....It's going to be very hard for the Mariners to regret this deal when it's all said and done, and they definitely have no regrets right now.

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I think the $200 million we offer him will change his mind 

$200 million might keep you in the conversation most of the way out of respect for the 20th century.

As an aside, I don't see him being posted until 2018 when he's 24. IIRC technically he could be in Japan until he's 26/27, but I doubt it ends up taking so long.

Archived