JetNation.com Seven Round Mock

JetNation

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I've heard that from a couple of folks as far as flipping Cook and Spence, but I don't think Cook is on the board beyond the Browns 2nd round pick if they don't take a QB in round one.

I really struggled with having Spence go that late and then I saw a couple of mocks with him there that late, including McShay who had him going to the Jets in that same spot.

I guess it could happen, but Spence is the best edge rusher in a draft with no edge rushers. After what the Broncos pulled off last year, I'd be surprised if he even made it to 20.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I guess it could happen, but Spence is the best edge rusher in a draft with no edge rushers. After what the Broncos pulled off last year, I'd be surprised if he even made it to 20.

We're going to be sitting at 20 with our dicks in our laps. Treadwell or Coleman aint making it to 20 either. Reed or Dodd ftw.

Yes, I know...Jaworski was wrong about Kellen Clemens, let's get over it.  He played the position in the league and essentially gets paid to watch film for a living.

Connor Cook is ranked the draft's 4th-best QB prospect by most analysts, but Jaworski said he's made for the NFL

Carson Wentz and Jared Goff have established themselves as the top two quarterbacks in this month's NFL draft, and most analysts put Paxton Lynch third on the list.

But ESPN's Ron Jaworski said in a conference call today that Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook isn't getting enough due as a prospect.

"I can spend 10 minutes and talk about Connor Cook," Jaworski said. "Now, I really don’t know what happened, why he’s been kind of knocked down because he wasn’t a captain and all those things and how he acts. But when you look at his tape, he’s a very good football player. A very good player. Now, I can point out flaws, I can point out positives, but I think Connor Cook is a guy that his game on the field projects well to the NFL."

Cook started three seasons at MSU and led the Spartans to a 36-5 record and two Big Ten championships.

He doesn't have as strong an arm as Wentz and isn't as accurate as Goff, but Cook threw for 9.194 yards and 71 touchdowns in his career while completing 57.5 percent of his passes.

"I’m a huge Connor fan," Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Darqueze Dennard, who played three seasons with Cook, said at MSU pro day last month. "I’ve been the biggest Connor Cook fan since he got here, to be honest. Just seeing the way he – his work ethic, just seeing him on his first day coming in and the how he was getting receivers to come in and throw the ball to them at a young age. He’s 18 years old and he’s getting the older guys to come out and throw to."

While projections have Cook going anywhere from late in the first round to sometime in the third, Jaworski said that could set Cook up to have a successful career.

“I came from the old school approach, and maybe the Aaron Rodgers approach as I like to say: Sit behind a quarterback and learn your traits," Jaworski said. "Learn your craft. Learn from a veteran that can teach you. Watch the game played so that when you go out there the game is now slower for you.

"We’re in such a rush to draft these guys and put them on the field, and they’re doomed for failure. So the quarterbacks to me that have an opportunity to go in that second and third round, not as much pressure on them to play immediately. And a good solid coaching staff around them, with complementary players, those guys are the guys that ascend rather quickly and become superstars in this league."

Contact Dave Birkett: dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I see what you mean.  Hard to imagine a guy like him dropping that far after what Denver just did.  I also considered the theme I've heard this week from a few different sources saying players 15-50 are naerly identical from a grade standpoint.

Actually heard Gil Brandt (I believe) say the other day that a player who's ranked 17th on one team's board will be 47th on another team's board and vice versa.  Thinking if there are that many players graded so closely, the drug history could push him to 20 in round two.

Also, wishful thinking :)

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I see what you mean.  Hard to imagine a guy like him dropping that far after what Denver just did.  I also considered the theme I've heard this week from a few different sources saying players 15-50 are naerly identical from a grade standpoint.

Actually heard Gil Brandt (I believe) say the other day that a player who's ranked 17th on one team's board will be 47th on another team's board and vice versa.  Thinking if there are that many players graded so closely, the drug history could push him to 20 in round two.

Also, wishful thinking :)

I'll admit to doing those Fanspeak drafts where you get to use different rankings from the media types and it seems like an odd year where there's no consensus after the top 3-5 guys. It's going to be a weird year, I think. 

Yuck @ Cook in the 1st.

And I highly highly doubt Spence is there in the 2nd for us.

Also even with the injury, it's being reported that Jaylon Smith is still a Day 2 pick. All it takes is one team who doesn't mind stashing him

1 minute ago, King P said:

Yuck @ Cook in the 1st.

And I highly highly doubt Spence is there in the 2nd for us.

Also even with the injury, it's being reported that Jaylon Smith is still a Day 2 pick. All it takes is one team who doesn't mind stashing him

Titans should grab him with one of their 2nd rounders unless they deal them away to get back in to the first.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'll admit to doing those Fanspeak drafts where you get to use different rankings from the media types and it seems like an odd year where there's no consensus after the top 3-5 guys. It's going to be a weird year, I think. 

Absolutely....even the "experts" are all over the map with their mocks.  I know they do it to get clicks and get reactions at times, but I can't remember the last time I saw so many players going 20+ picks before or after another "expert" projects them.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Schefter just reported that Smith isn't playing at all in 2017 and might never play again.

Is this your official prediction that he goes to the Jets at 20?

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Twitter is telling me Vernon Adams. What do you think?

5'10', runs a 4.8, largely sucked at Oregon, looked good at the Senior Bowl against a bunch of 6th rounders. The guy on Twitter leading the charge for Adams is, without exaggeration, in high school and writes his QB analyses in home room.

Just now, T0mShane said:

5'10', runs a 4.8, largely sucked at Oregon, looked good at the Senior Bowl against a bunch of 6th rounders. The guy on Twitter leading the charge for Adams is, without exaggeration, in high school and writes his QB analyses in home room.

Ha. I was joking. The against the grain draft twitter is entertaining to say the least. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Oh really?  Who's taking Hackenberg?  The Jets?

FYI - 5 QB's have been selected in the 1st round, once.  Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Donovan McNabb, Dante Culpepper, Cade McCown.

Deceptive as there have been more than 5 also.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It me

image.png

Interesting....Decker/Cravens was my original 1/2 but couldn't not go with a QB in rd 1, then went with Spence once I saw some of the pro's projecting a huge drop.

I'm thinking it'll be something out of left field. Corner makes sense. None of them tackle though.

Nose tackle would be perfect. We'll all freak out about another defensive linemen and the coaching staff/FO will rave about the absurd % of snaps Andrew Billings played at Baylor.

I wonder what QB they like. Has to be one of them or it's an awesome smokescreen.

I think I want Shaq Lawson or a QB in round 1. Corey Coleman or a trade down would be a decent consolation prize. Anything else would likely leave me talking myself into the pick. Some things will be easier to talk myself into than others. That includes Connor Cook. I'll end up drunk and on Draft Breakdown watching cutups, getting excited about back shoulder sideline throws, and giving him a break for every pass that I can remotely consider a drop if they draft him. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I like that you hit the three biggest needs in Rds 1, 2, 3, but not sure if Cook is the answer there, and I'd be surprised if Spence gets to the bottom of 2. It's like, if you reversed those (taking Spence at 20 and Cook in Rd 2), it'd be more palatable. 

That said, nice job. I'm still holding out for a trade, however. I'm having a man-crush moment on Goff.

Goff would look sweet in Jet green #16. The living reincarnation of Joe Montana.

34 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Interesting....Decker/Cravens was my original 1/2 but couldn't not go with a QB in rd 1, then went with Spence once I saw some of the pro's projecting a huge drop.

Literally just picked the guys that would depress me the most.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived