Jaylon Smith to sit out 2016...is he worth taking in the 2nd Round?

Hypothetically, less than half of the 2nd Rounds picks will start as a rookie anyway, right?

Historically, players with this kind of injury don't go until the 4th-5th rounds at best, no?

But given how quickly players are coming back now from these types of injuries, and given how well rounded a player Smith is/was as a prospect, is the 2nd round crazy talk? 

For a team like the Titans with multiple 2nd rounders, of course. For a team like the Jets with limited picks and lots of holes, no.

And let's just say the report is still a little premature. They don't know anything for sure yet. He's still healing. But if he does sit out all of 2016 and can come back full in 2017, then he's definitely worth the risk to someone.

• Upvote 3

I'd love to hear the justification for using a 2nd rounder on a COLLEGE player that has a serious injury and won't even play until 2017 from the same crowd that squeeze hordes draft picks like Gollum when it comes to trading fourth rounders for a productive professional football player.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I'd say yea. We're not winning it this year anyway. What's the difference? If they think this kid can come in 2017 and be what he was projected to be, he will fill the true pass rush beast spot that this team has lacked for forever. 

When Red Auerbach drafted Larry Bird a year before he was eligible to actually come out of college and play for the Celtics, people questioned it and his response, "Do you know how short of amount of time a year is?" I'd rather swing big and roll the dice. How's our other 2nd rounders been working out for us lately? Geno, Amaro, Devin, Hill, Vlad, Clemens, Justin Miller, John Mcgraw....

The only way I don't draft him is if the doctors are sure that he'll never heal right. But if they say, "he'll be what he was, just needs a year out." Im all in. 

4 hours ago, HessStation said:

But given how quickly players are coming back now from these types of injuries

Players don't come back from nerve damage. a 7th might be too much for this guy that's how scary his situation is. a 2nd would be ludicrous 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Expected to make a full recovery. This isn't a scary situation. 

Cmon dude, it's cold water to the face time. 

Les Bowen on Twitter, today: 

Source says Jaylon Smith's recheck showed drop-foot problem, caused by nerve damage, hasn't improved since the combine.

more on "drop-foot" 

Foot drop, sometimes called drop foot, is a general term for difficulty lifting the front part of the foot. If you have foot drop, you may drag the front of your foot on the ground when you walk.
Foot drop isn't a disease. Rather, foot drop is a sign of an underlying neurological, muscular or anatomical problem.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/foot-drop/basics/definition/con-20032918

the fact that it hasn't gotten any better in 2 months means he's f--ked. At least that's the technical term. 

Marcus Cannon and other injured player with upside Category : He will be a third rounder at best. 

He should heavily consider what that LSU player did last year and tell teams not to draft him so he can collect on his insurance policy and then pick the team he wants. Hell make a ton more money that way. 

6 hours ago, HessStation said:

Hypothetically, less than half of the 2nd Rounds picks will start as a rookie anyway, right?

Historically, players with this kind of injury don't go until the 4th-5th rounds at best, no?

But given how quickly players are coming back now from these types of injuries, and given how well rounded a player Smith is/was as a prospect, is the 2nd round crazy talk? 

Devin Smith, Jace Amaro, Geno Smith, Stephen Hill...our last four second round picks. Not to say that none of these guys have a future in the nfl as I still have faith but I think someone will pull the trigger on Jaylon Smith in the second and if it is us rolling the dice I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I would do it, redshirt him the first year and hope he recovers.  There aren't too many chances to get players like him, so I would take a chance.

As for foot drop, I've had the same issue since my accident in October.  It takes a long time to heal because the nerves that help counteract foot drop are fairly small and are some of the last ones to come back.  I've been in rehab since November and I still have that issue (albeit much better) and doctors say it'll go away as you build up muscle and muscle memory in your foot, and the nerves regenerate.  If given all of next year off, he would have about 1.5 years to recover, which would be more than enough.  He's obviously a much better athlete than I am, so the level he needs to get back to are far more stringent than the standards I'm aiming for, so unless we have access to sports doctors that can look at his scans, I think we're all just stabbing in the dark.

Obviously if we could, I would love to get him in the third, but I wouldn't cry if we pulled the trigger in the 2nd.

There's so much that I like about Smith as a player, but even more about his character.

You know this young man will give you 100% in his rehab. He's already doing 600 lb. leg presses.

I'd bring him in and have Dr. Andrews look at his XRay and tell me his opinion.

If there's even a 70% chance he can come back, I'd take him at 51 unless there is another edge rusher who can start day 1

• Upvote 1

Just now, Long Island Leprechaun said:

No bet. SF took Lattimore because they had a million picks that year. It was a flyer. Some team will do the same with JS, even though he's done.

No. He's not, but obviously your credibility is. I'd say good effort, but you obviously haven't even read anything on the situation. Do better.

this is the NFL not a vacation. Teams are not going to be lining up to pick a player that, at best, doesn't help them at all in 2016. at worst doesnt ever help them. The "redshirt" year is expensive in the NFL.  Half these coaches and GMs could be fired within a year. They don't have forever for Jaylon Smith's nerve damage to heal. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2016/04/22/jaylon-smith-knee-nerve-injury-draft/83416394/

A checkup by NFL teams last weekend in Indianapolis showed Smith remains unable to raise his left foot or swing it out to the side because of an issue with his peroneal nerve. But the "foot-drop" isn't a surprise at this stage, said his surgeon, Dr.  Dan Cooper , who is “optimistic that his knee itself will be stable and a good knee and he’ll get all his strength back. And I also think he has a very good chance of getting his nerve recovery back.”

Cooper agreed Smith probably will take a “redshirt” year in 2016, noting that once a nerve injury is discovered, it usually takes around nine to 15 months to fully recover. He also said he knows of high school and college football players who have played with a foot-drop, “and it’s even possible that Jaylon’s good enough to play in the NFL if he doesn’t get his nerve function back.

• Upvote 1

IDK if he's got drop foot or not, but the kid is so talented I think someone will take a flyer on him at least in the mid rounds, maybe as high as the 3rd.

If he heels it will be the steal of the draft.  If not it will be an "oh well" pick.  3rd and 4th round picks go in the toilet all the time with out GM's losing their jobs.  Kids at a talent level it's worth the risk.

I wouldn't be unhappy if the Jets took a shot at him.  JMO , no MD

On April 18, 2016 at 4:26 PM, bitonti said:

Players don't come back from nerve damage. a 7th might be too much for this guy that's how scary his situation is. a 2nd would be ludicrous 

On April 18, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Long Island Leprechaun said:

He's toast. Nerve damage is the death knell. I'll  be surprised if anyone drafts him at all.

On April 18, 2016 at 7:26 PM, AFCEastFan said:

Isn't what we know about this injury pretty close to Marcus Lattimore territory?  If so, maybe take a flyer on a miracle recovery in the 6th or 7th round.  Anything earlier than that is just a waste of a pick IMO. 

On April 19, 2016 at 0:11 AM, Paradis said:

Shawn Oakman is less risky. 

Good effort, fellas. Nailed it!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2