Jets have reportedly looked into trading up to #2 pick.

Mogglez

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

Macc already said he contacted every team in front of us to gauge their terms. Writers could literally say this same thing about the Jets "looking into" moving up for every pick from 1-19.  

This.

This is a non story. The Jets have "looked into the cost" of moving up. It doesn't mean they want to or are going to. It means nothing.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

This...

IMO this whole trade up scenario is more about dealing Wilkerson for good value than it is about finding a franchise QB.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Macc package Wilk to move up in the draft and then trade OUT of that spot and move back to gather more picks.  Assuming that yields him a better return than what is being offered for Mo outright.

Interesting....

1 hour ago, JiF said:

And that's exactly what BigMac should be doing.  You never know, might as well call everyone and see what you can get for what.

I'm sure a lot of this activity is revolved around Mo too, so it wouldnt surprise me if he's spoken to every team in the league by now.

might be a team not looking for much to put us in a position to draft a guy we really want.

31 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

This...

IMO this whole trade up scenario is more about dealing Wilkerson for good value than it is about finding a franchise QB.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Macc package Wilk to move up in the draft and then trade OUT of that spot and move back to gather more picks.  Assuming that yields him a better return than what is being offered for Mo outright.

Very plausible and calculated for Mac, I am a believer they really do like any of the top 3 QBs however.

guys...no team is taking Mo as compensation in a trade without having him locked up long term...You really think a team is making a huge trade for Mo with the chance to lose him the following year? So a trade would be contingent on Mo signing with that team long term...So Mo holds the cards because he doesn't have to agree to sign with any team..

12 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

guys...no team is taking Mo as compensation in a trade without having him locked up long term...You really think a team is making a huge trade for Mo with the chance to lose him the following year? So a trade would be contingent on Mo signing with that team long term...So Mo holds the cards because he doesn't have to agree to sign with any team..

Great point.  Do you guys really see Mo Wilk singing a long term deal to play for the Browns?  

Not if it brings them their QB for the next 10 years

History has proven time and time again with this team that when you draft a quarterback in the first round you can not expect him to play that opening season and have a successful career.

The only exception is Cam Newton and it took five seasons just to get to the Superbowl. To put things in better perspective, of the Five Seasons he's played in, Newton has only had 2 winning seasons.

Another example of getting a franchise quarterback is Tom Brady. Brady, drafted in the sixth round (199th overall) of the 2000 NFL draft even needed time to develop before he replaced Drew Bledsoe in week 2 of the 2001 season.

Now I ask you the obvious, is any of the four Quarterbacks available and more than likely go in the first round of the 2016 NFL draft equal or greater than either of those records?

I don't think so, and most of you don't either - like I said to give up all of our pics for an unproven QB who will not live up to a true franchise quarterback, much like the last few quarterbacks the Jets have drafted, is a huge mistake.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

He can hold all the cards he wants but if his ante is too high no one will play..:)

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Inquiring on the cost really isnt a big deal.  Not only is it just an inquiry that could easily just end right there but there are also other conversation to be had.  That conversation can also be about who else is calling, what they are targeting and it could be about other picks they have too.

Nothing to see here. Mac aint stupid enough to mortgage the future on sloppy seconds.

Still talking about "mortgaging the future?"  How complicated is this concept for you to grasp?  THERE IS NO SUSTAINABLE FUTURE WITHOUT A FRANCHISE QB.  It doesn't matter how many draft picks you have, keep, and/or acquire.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I would imagine every team takes and give offers quite often leading up to and during the draft.  

Macc has already said he's going to talk to every GM.  He also wants to see what kind of trade value Mo has

14 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

If we do move up I think you have to go Tunsil. Guy is Elite and looks like the safest pick in the draft. 

I love tunsil but you don't trade up that much for anything but a quarterback 

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

He's said he'd love to play for SF

36 minutes ago, BaumerJet said:

History has proven time and time again with this team that when you draft a quarterback in the first round you can not expect him to play that opening season and have a successful career.

The only exception is Cam Newton and it took five seasons just to get to the Superbowl. To put things in better perspective, of the Five Seasons he's played in, Newton has only had 2 winning seasons.

Another example of getting a franchise quarterback is Tom Brady. Brady, drafted in the sixth round (199th overall) of the 2000 NFL draft even needed time to develop before he replaced Drew Bledsoe in week 2 of the 2001 season.

Now I ask you the obvious, is any of the four Quarterbacks available and more than likely go in the first round of the 2016 NFL draft equal or greater than either of those records?

I don't think so, and most of you don't either - like I said to give up all of our pics for an unproven QB who will not live up to a true franchise quarterback, much like the last few quarterbacks the Jets have drafted, is a huge mistake.

Well aware that a rookie QB usually doesnt win a thing.  Better examples are Ryan and Flacco who both made the playoffs as rookie QBs though, not Cam.

Point is you eventually have to get one and you dont necessarily have to start them in year 1and give away the season.  But you eventually have to grow a pair and get one.  Sticking with retreads like we have isnt going to do anything for us.  

I would rather miss the playoffs in 2016 while developing a QB than with a Fitz and nothing else, moving no closer to having a franchise QB and still missing the playoffs

26 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If I could make this pick, I would and I would take either Carson Wentz or Laremy Tunsil  . Ramsey would get some consideration, but I just can't see myself drafting a CB/ FS that highly . 

I would take Ramsey in a heartbeat

47 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

He can hold all the cards he wants but if his ante is too high no one will play..:)

Not true at all.. Mo is making 15 guaranteed this year.. Teams that have a big need on the DL would love Mo. Even if his pricetag is 100 mil..Problem is Jets want big compensation so its a double whammy...So either the Jets take less and deal him, or they keep him..Which in turn would force the Jets to franchise him again next year.. Or if they let him walk like the Lions did Suh, he will get huge money on the open market when a team doesn't have to give up anything in return.. So Mo holds all the cards here.. He's getting big money one way or another..

One thing to keep in mind, Mo and his Agent are actively shopping his services.  I would assume that Mo/agent have come back to Macc with hopefully a few options.  

I would be be ok with the trade up as long as we don't give up a 2017 #1.  With our schedule and current roster, I wouldn't want to give up what would appear to be a top 12 or 15 pick.

Still talking about "mortgaging the future?"  How complicated is this concept for you to grasp?  THERE IS NO SUSTAINABLE FUTURE WITHOUT A FRANCHISE QB.  It doesn't matter how many draft picks you have, keep, and/or acquire.

One more time, Tom Brady sixth round 199th overall. Was he a first-round draft pick? NO! Is he going to be remembered as one of the greatest quarterbacks if not the greatest quarterback of all time, though I hate to say that, yes. It's a wrong move to move up and give up everything instead of getting players for positions we need to improve and setting the organization back 5 years just to replace one position...

Well aware that a rookie QB usually doesnt win a thing.  Better examples are Ryan and Flacco who both made the playoffs as rookie QBs though, not Cam.

Point is you eventually have to get one and you dont necessarily have to start them in year 1and give away the season.  But you eventually have to grow a pair and get one.  Sticking with retreads like we have isnt going to do anything for us.  

I would rather miss the playoffs in 2016 while developing a QB than with a Fitz and nothing else, moving no closer to having a franchise QB and still missing the playoffs

And with an organization that continues to get older year by year, making it more difficult for even a franchise quarterback who will not develop because of it. We need to win now we need to develop now and at this point it's not going to be one year, it'll be four to five years before the Jets see themselves as a possible Contender once again. Why on Earth do you think Belichick is sweating bricks over the fact that this is the 16th season for Tom Brady? His organization has gotten too old and when Brady's days are over, so will be Belichick and the Patriots. Instead of seeking replacement, the Patriots each year have been stretching to strengthen their offense and defense. I guess you're right comma making sure that the team around your quarterback continues to get younger first is a bad thing.

8 minutes ago, BaumerJet said:

One more time, Tom Brady sixth round 199th overall. Was he a first-round draft pick? NO! Is he going to be remembered as one of the greatest quarterbacks if not the greatest quarterback of all time, though I hate to say that, yes. It's a wrong move to move up and give up everything instead of getting players for positions we need to improve and setting the organization back 5 years just to replace one position...

Sent from my LG-V410 using TapatalkY

Using the most extreme outlying, luckiest, fluky, getting struck by lightning,  lotto-winning like example of a draft pick since 1936, the first NFL draft....

You must have a car full of worthless Power Ball tickets and those stupid gas station scratch-offs.  Good luck with that.

3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

My God, are people still talking about Brady being a 6th round pick? You guys realize how different the league is now? For one, they actually test for steroids now. The days of a 6th rounder "developing" into a star are OVER

I hope you have proof of this. You know Brady will sue you and take this to the supreme court.

2 hours ago, BaumerJet said:

And with an organization that continues to get older year by year, making it more difficult for even a franchise quarterback who will not develop because of it. We need to win now we need to develop now and at this point it's not going to be one year, it'll be four to five years before the Jets see themselves as a possible Contender once again. Why on Earth do you think Belichick is sweating bricks over the fact that this is the 16th season for Tom Brady? His organization has gotten too old and when Brady's days are over, so will be Belichick and the Patriots. Instead of seeking replacement, the Patriots each year have been stretching to strengthen their offense and defense. I guess you're right comma making sure that the team around your quarterback continues to get younger first is a bad thing.

No GM, no FO, no organization thinks like this.

thankfully.  

If the trade between Philly and the Browns does happen the Jets should not trade up. If they can't get a franchise QB then just add talent with the 20th pick and whatever picks Mo brings. It's a shame, I was getting excited that they would be able to move up for one of the QBs.

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

With news of CLE and PHI agreement in place.... I think you're looking at having trade inside the top 6 to secure Lynch. 

You think Cleveland takes Lynch at 8? I know you won't be too happy about that lol

There's no reason to trade for the second pick in this draft. There are basically four categories of quarterback prospects. Top 1, Top ~3, Top ~16, and everybody else. The middle two categories are sort of loosely defined but you get the idea. There are bigger disparities in success vs. investment between these ranges than there are within them. This year Goff is the guy, there's no the other guy, and I don't even think there's a Cutler. It's a draft full of everybody elses. One or more of them is going to have success but I dunno how much I'm willing to bet on any of them being that much better than the others. Take somebody on the second day. Take whoever.

Archived