Bryce Petty must really stink

Ex-Rex

Because on nearly EVERY Jets site I visit, all everyone is talking about is how the Jets can get a QB like Lynch or Cook. If the Jets draft a QB it will send a clear signal that Petty is not progressing as well as the team had hoped. I sincerely hope that is not the case. I was extremely pleased when the Jets took Petty. I watched him with a lot of interest at Baylor and thought he was a better prospect than RGIII. But WTF do I know? Thoughts?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macc was quoted, and I'm paraphrasing, saying that Petty could end up a pretty good backup.  Which is actually not that bad of a result for using a 4th rounder on a QB.  Guys who can be capable backups, and maybe show some upside in a few spot starts, can end up being traded for high picks OR sign massive deals resulting in a 3rd round compensatory selection. 

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

Because on nearly EVERY Jets site I visit, all everyone is talking about is how the Jets can get a QB like Lynch or Cook. If the Jets draft a QB it will send a clear signal that Petty is not progressing as well as the team had hoped. I sincerely hope that is not the case. I was extremely pleased when the Jets took Petty. I watched him with a lot of interest at Baylor and thought he was a better prospect than RGIII. But WTF do I know? Thoughts?

It could also just mean that they're covering their bases. Just because you draft another QB doesn't mean you don't like the guy you have - Washington drafted Cousins in the same draft as RGIII, looks like a genius move now.

If you draft another guy and keep Petty - worst case you still have no QB; best case you have two. But it at least doubles the chance that you'll have one.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc was quoted, and I'm paraphrasing, saying that Petty could end up a pretty good backup.  Which is actually not that bad of a result for using a 4th rounder on a QB.  Guys who can be capable backups, and maybe show some upside in a few spot starts, can end up being traded for high picks OR sign massive deals resulting in a 3rd round compensatory selection. 

Let's hope Petty is one of those backups that throws for 365 yards in a meaningless game in December which prompts a team like Cleveland or the Rams to trade us their next two drafts for him to be their franchise guy for a season or so.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This.

Who knows. We might even have the next Mike Glennon on our hands.

I honestly think that the realistic timeline for Petty to be ready (coming from his college system) is 3-4 years. He's got the physical tools clearly. People say football is football, forget the system let them play. That's like saying math is math and equating addition/subtraction to calculus. I actually wanted Bryce over all QB's last year, and had him as a virtual time with Mariota. (I felt Winston was a loose cannon and would implode ala Manziel, but hes been on his behavior so I may be eating crow in a few years. Mariota I felt was more ready on draft day, but if Bryce sat and learned would basically have the same success long-term but without having to draft so high.)

When you pick a QB in round 4 I believe its with the expectation that he becomes a good backup (which is a great commodity, people undervalue it) and you hope best case scenario he excels into a franchise QB. 

From what I've read is that the Jets love Bryce's attitude, work ethic, and is developing at a pace they like. He's gotta show what he learned in year 1 and apply it on the field in practice, camp, preseason. 

I believe Petty will be starter ready by year 3/4, and he's a perfect fit for Gaily's offense, but nothings a gimme and Quarterback is the whole NFL now. Keep throwing your darts (with discretion) until we hit a bullseye.

Until we see him in preseason games in August we really won't know how he has progressed anywhere near what the coaching staff knows. Comments coming out of the team's staff doesn't tell us much because those comments may have ulterior purposes like lighting a fire under him to improve or trying to game other teams ahead of the draft. For now we're stuck looking at what we do in the draft and who we try to pick up in remaining free agency. If we go into training camp with just Geno and Petty then it's hard to imagine the plan isn't to start Petty.

14 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I honestly think that the realistic timeline for Petty to be ready (coming from his college system) is 3-4 years. He's got the physical tools clearly. People say football is football, forget the system let them play. That's like saying math is math and equating addition/subtraction to calculus. I actually wanted Bryce over all QB's last year, and had him as a virtual time with Mariota. (I felt Winston was a loose cannon and would implode ala Manziel, but hes been on his behavior so I may be eating crow in a few years. Mariota I felt was more ready on draft day, but if Bryce sat and learned would basically have the same success long-term but without having to draft so high.)

When you pick a QB in round 4 I believe its with the expectation that he becomes a good backup (which is a great commodity, people undervalue it) and you hope best case scenario he excels into a franchise QB. 

From what I've read is that the Jets love Bryce's attitude, work ethic, and is developing at a pace they like. He's gotta show what he learned in year 1 and apply it on the field in practice, camp, preseason. 

I believe Petty will be starter ready by year 3/4, and he's a perfect fit for Gaily's offense, but nothings a gimme and Quarterback is the whole NFL now. Keep throwing your darts (with discretion) until we hit a bullseye.

Petty is 25 next month he don't have 3/4 years.. 

these guys who play in these goofball college offenses are damaged.  It takes time for them to do it. If ever.  Coaches do not care about developing players in college.  They are paid to win.  The score does not matter.  The purity of the game does not matter.  56-50 is fine.

40 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

1 minute ago, jack48 said:

these guys who play in these goofball college offenses are damaged.  It takes time for them to do it. If ever.  Coaches do not care about developing players in college.  They are paid to win.  The score does not matter.  The purity of the game does not matter.  56-50 is fine.

I think that's why you take things like stats with a grain of salt, you really want to evaluate the prospect in terms of aptitude vs what they've been asked to do. The fact that Hackenberg was able to flourish in o'briens system as a freshman at penn makes him intriguing if you believe the following regime change stunted his development, because he was on track to being the top prospect in this class

19 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Petty is 25 next month he don't have 3/4 years.. 

Year 1 is already done so it he plays by 27/28 I think thats enough to play til 34/35 , remembering that his body wasn't getting beaten up those years he sat and learned.

However, you do bring up a valid point, which is why I think the Jets need to keep looking for a QB. He may be decent only for a few years. Who knows? So lets keep looking.

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I think that's why you take things like stats with a grain of salt, you really want to evaluate the prospect in terms of aptitude vs what they've been asked to do. The fact that Hackenberg was able to flourish in o'briens system as a freshman at penn makes him intriguing if you believe the following regime change stunted his development, because he was on track to being the top prospect in this class

I'm all for Hackenberg. He flourished in a system that few can, and at 18. He was responsible for not just reading defenses but autonomy to audible and make line shifts based on what he read. That plus his physical tools makes him worth the gamble. If we spend a second rounder on him and he sucks, so what? We waste 2nd rounders for a living at Florham Park.

37 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

So Petty will be ready at the time his rookie contract is up?  Perfect!

Just now, legler82 said:

Yeah. Which is why you see after this or next year and restructure his deal before its up, if you like where he's at. Eagles drafted Wentz with the intent of having him sit for a year or two. And thats the second pick of the first round. We got Bryce in the 4th. If he's a viable backup for 6 years its a successful pick.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Yeah. Which is why you see after this or next year and restructure his deal before its up, if you like where he's at. Eagles drafted Wentz with the intent of having him sit for a year or two. And thats the second pick of the first round. We got Bryce in the 4th. If he's a viable backup for 6 years its a successful pick.

and now rumor has it bradford will request a trade.  what a mess.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I'm all for Hackenberg. He flourished in a system that few can, and at 18. He was responsible for not just reading defenses but autonomy to audible and make line shifts based on what he read. That plus his physical tools makes him worth the gamble. If we spend a second rounder on him and he sucks, so what? We waste 2nd rounders for a living at Florham Park.

It makes you wonder though if Houston would make a move to grab him before the jets in the second. And if they don't, what does o'brien know about him that we don't? lol

Just now, cant wait said:

It makes you wonder though if Houston would make a move to grab him before the jets in the second. And if they don't, what does o'brien know about him that we don't? lol

they're paying osweiler 18 million per year, they're not taking a qb in the 2nd.

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

I thought of that too lol. I don't know O'brien has nothing but praise for him so who knows.

8 minutes ago, legler82 said:

In fairness, guy won't have played a down yet by that point (in this scenario), so it's not like the league will be knocking down his door to sign him.

Frankly, I think the Jets will know very clearly, one way or the other, going into Petty's third year.  If he's not the guy, I'd expect to see him dumped at that point.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

and now rumor has it bradford will request a trade.  what a mess.

I'm not crazy about Wentz due to his competition level in college, but he become a stud. All that matters is what Philly thinks he can be.

But, they now can trade Bradford to a QB-starved team and get some of those picks back to help build for Wentz. They also have Chase who can play a year or two and knows the coach's system. Not a bad position to be in.

I can see a team like Buffalo or Denvertrading for Bradford. Would have to rework his deal most likely if he wants out that bad. His deal with Philly is for two years, maybe he gets a 4 year deal somewhere else woth more spread out money.

Not sure what people expected out of petty he was a frigin 4th round pick LAST YEAR coming from an non pro style offense.  It doesn't man he is progressing badly or stinks or is going to have a major effect one way or another on this team over the next year or so.

Anyone actually expecting him to be any kind of legit option this year is living in a  dream world.  Hell 1st round picks in many cases should sit for a year if possible.  Also this coaching staff and front office are very tight lipped and unlike Rex whop would be calling him a future hofer are slow to praise.

Don't worry about Petty, he is a developmental QB.  Worry about a starter next year and a guy we will draft.

As for Petty, what we have heard and more significantly not heard probably means he's somewhere in the middle of where expectations would have put him.  If he sucked and was no prospect that would have probably leaked out and the team might have already made some move on him.  And if he'd made such great progress that he was a prospect to start then we probably would have heard that one way or another, too.  The lack of word on him is consistent with the team seeing acceptable progress for a fourth round pick who is on the roster, on the depth chart, but neither bad or very good performance. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Yes. What fans are saying on Jets site's has a huge impact on Petty's ability as a QB.

Thank you....

Petty is, according to the coaches, doing fine....  He can't be a fifth year player in his second year. Ok.

We seem to find a way to knock players no matter what......

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

THIS IS MY OPINION 100%

43 minutes ago, cant wait said:

On the flip side though, his only season of success had him having 3 nfl olinemen on his team, along with Allen Robinson bailing him out numerous times. Hackenberg's accuracy issues are a major red flag for me, yeah his team sucked, but the guy's always struggled with throwing an accurate pass. His completion percentage is straight ass, and this is with his team throwing a crap ton of screen passes that should've boosted his completion percentage.

Archived