Casserly Mocks Eli Apple to Jets!! WTF?!

32EBoozer

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I understood (responding to the post above here), and I still disagree. I don't believe that what they do or don't do with Lynch has anything to do with what they do or not do with Fitzpatrick. They are completely unrelated. They want Fitz to be a stopgap/mentor. They see Lynch as a project. If they like and draft Lynch, ideally they'd sign Fitz to be his mentor. If they draft Lynch and can't close Fitz, I think they'll sign a guy like Hoyer to fill the stopgap role. Either way with Lynch, they'd want someone else to start in 2016. If we were talking about a rookie you could reasonably expect to compete for the starting job to start the season, then maybe you'd be on to something. Lynch isn't that guy. 

Would Geno be the odd man out? Jets can not carry 4QBs Petty or Lynch on the practice squad would not work would be an open invitation for another QB needy team to pick one of them off the practice squad 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

We're the same age..... Great time to be born if you were going on to be a Jets/Mets/Knicks fan.

Jets have been in my families blood for years. 

Mets I was a fan while the rest of my family was all Yankees,the Mets organization is too much like the Jets. 

Knicks never liked them. 

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets have been in my families blood for years. 

Mets I was a fan while the rest of my family was all Yankees,the Mets organization is too much like the Jets. 

Knicks never liked them. 

Trust me.... the Knicks are very much like the Jets also!

1 hour ago, Bocajetfan said:

Would Geno be the odd man out? Jets can not carry 4QBs Petty or Lynch on the practice squad would not work would be an open invitation for another QB needy team to pick one of them off the practice squad 

If they sign Fitz, yes, I would think so. Unless they've already given up on Petty, or think they can sneak him onto their practice squad. If they go with Hoyer rather than Fitz, though, I'd think Geno and Hoyer would battle it out for the starting job, and the loser of that competition would get cut.

12 minutes ago, slats said:

If they sign Fitz, yes, I would think so. Unless they've already given up on Petty, or think they can sneak him onto their practice squad. If they go with Hoyer rather than Fitz, though, I'd think Geno and Hoyer would battle it out for the starting job, and the loser of that competition would get cut.

Geno is under contract on the cheap he's a viable backup who knows the system if they re-sign Fitz. No way they bring in Hoyer to fill that need. 

Petty could be the odd man out if they draft Lynch. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Geno is under contract on the cheap he's a viable backup who knows the system if they re-sign Fitz. No way they bring in Hoyer to fill that need. 

In no way, shape, or form did I suggest the Jets might sign Fitz and Hoyer. It's one or the other, and only Fitz would be guaranteed a roster spot come the regular season. 

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Don't think so

Woody asked if he would be OK with Geno being the starter if Fitz does not sign: "The coaching staff and Mike would look at alternatives."

The guy who signs the pay checks doesn't seem to high on smith

19 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Don't think so

Woody asked if he would be OK with Geno being the starter if Fitz does not sign: "The coaching staff and Mike would look at alternatives."

The guy who signs the pay checks doesn't seem to high on smith

Woddy must have been enraged by that whole Geno and IK embarassment.

Laquon Treadwell please and thank you. 6'3 great hands and great size. Give whoever our qb is as many weapons as possible. Marshall Treadwell on the outside Decker in the slot and Forte coming out of the backfield would be devastating. 

On 4/23/2016 at 11:21 PM, slats said:

I understood (responding to the post above here), and I still disagree. I don't believe that what they do or don't do with Lynch has anything to do with what they do or not do with Fitzpatrick. They are completely unrelated. They want Fitz to be a stopgap/mentor. They see Lynch as a project. If they like and draft Lynch, ideally they'd sign Fitz to be his mentor. If they draft Lynch and can't close Fitz, I think they'll sign a guy like Hoyer to fill the stopgap role. Either way with Lynch, they'd want someone else to start in 2016. If we were talking about a rookie you could reasonably expect to compete for the starting job to start the season, then maybe you'd be on to something. Lynch isn't that guy. 

You don't even want to understand. You just prefer knocking down strawmen. Enjoy.

On 4/23/2016 at 10:33 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Agree, but unless Maccagnan feels Petty, Cook or Hack can be the future.... then they may just take him despite having an agreement with Fitz

This is why a 3rd for Glennon would be a better investment IMO. You know what he is and can become in the right system.

Totally agree there. But if he is there and they don't take a shot with him it means Fitz is locked up. They probably take him in any case, however. I agree with you there.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

You don't even want to understand. You just prefer knocking down strawmen. Enjoy.

Lol. I completely understand you, and completely disagree with you. No straw men required. I believe there to be zero correlation between Lynch and Fitzpatrick. 

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol. I completely understand you, and completely disagree with you. No straw men required. I believe there to be zero correlation between Lynch and Fitzpatrick. 

I think there is a correlation in that there is a correlation between the level of project QB and Fitz. Since Goff is going to be off the table, unless there's a prospect viewed with the potential for starting this season (by mid-season; doesn't have to be week 1), I think they'll bring back Fitzpatrick.

If they draft Lynch - or someone viewed as similarly high-potential but nowhere-near-ready - then I think the likelihood of re-signing Fitzpatrick goes up. If they somehow pass on QBs in the first 3 rounds altogether, then I think they may be more likely to try to work out a 4th rounder (or would first try for a 4th rounder next year) for a QB like Glennon (for better or for worse). I don't see them re-signing Fitz without another young/live arm on the roster. They seem done with Geno and don't appear at all sold on the future viability of Bryce Petty. 

In the starter-then-mentor role, his value is higher (to the Jets) than just purely as the 2016 starter. In particular because he wants more than a 1-year deal. Drafting a round 1-2-3 project makes re-signing Fitz more likely (and possibly wiser). Also it would help rationalize the team paying less, as the "we only want/need you for 1 season" negotiation stance becomes that much more truthful.

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think there is a correlation in that there is a correlation between the level of project QB and Fitz. Since Goff is going to be off the table, unless there's a prospect viewed with the potential for starting this season (by mid-season; doesn't have to be week 1), I think they'll bring back Fitzpatrick.

If they draft Lynch - or someone viewed as similarly high-potential but nowhere-near-ready - then I think the likelihood of re-signing Fitzpatrick goes up. If they somehow pass on QBs in the first 3 rounds altogether, then I think they may be more likely to try to work out a 4th rounder (or would first try for a 4th rounder next year) for a QB like Glennon (for better or for worse). I don't see them re-signing Fitz without another young/live arm on the roster. They seem done with Geno and don't appear at all sold on the future viability of Bryce Petty. 

In the starter-then-mentor role, his value is higher (to the Jets) than just purely as the 2016 starter. In particular because he wants more than a 1-year deal. Drafting a round 1-2-3 project makes re-signing Fitz more likely (and possibly wiser). Also it would help rationalize the team paying less, as the "we only want/need you for 1 season" negotiation stance becomes that much more truthful.

So you disagree with jgb even more firmly than I do, got it. 

I think if they like Lynch, they draft him. If they don't like him, they won't. Either way, I think they want Fitz back, but only at what they see as a fair number. If he's not the stopgap/mentor for Lynch, he can be the stopgap/mentor for a later pick or Petty. But I understand what you're saying. I think Hoyer is the fallback option. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

I think if they like Lynch, they draft him. If they don't like him, they won't. Either way, I think they want Fitz back, but only at what they see as a fair number. If he's not the stopgap/mentor for Lynch, he can be the stopgap/mentor for a later pick or Petty. But I understand what you're saying. I think Hoyer is the fallback option. 

Pretty much. Or more it's not that passing on drafting Lynch makes it more likely they re-sign Fitzpatrick, but rather I think drafting Lynch (specifically Lynch) makes it more likely to re-sign Fitzpatrick. If they draft someone who is considered less than a "one year minimum of clipboard holding" project, then - for the Jets - Hoyer ($5M x 1 yr) > Fitzpatrick ($12M? x 2 yrs).

If they do draft Lynch, I think Hoyer is a poorer fit than Fitzpatrick because he can't stay on the field and either Petty or Lynch will need to be thrown out there, ready or not. 

18 hours ago, slats said:

Enjoy, Toto.

17 hours ago, slats said:

Obsessed much? Sad, really. Just accept that I'm the one that got away and let it go. It's been years. Move on, brah.

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Pretty much. Or more it's not that passing on drafting Lynch makes it more likely they re-sign Fitzpatrick, but rather I think drafting Lynch (specifically Lynch) makes it more likely to re-sign Fitzpatrick. If they draft someone who is considered less than a "one year minimum of clipboard holding" project, then - for the Jets - Hoyer ($5M x 1 yr) > Fitzpatrick ($12M? x 2 yrs).

If they do draft Lynch, I think Hoyer is a poorer fit than Fitzpatrick because he can't stay on the field and either Petty or Lynch will need to be thrown out there, ready or not. 

They are not linked in the sense you think I'm trying to argue. All I'm saying is if he is there AND Jets pass, I believe Fitz is a done deal. But again, Lynch (a) won't be there and (b) if he is by some miracle, Jets aren't passing under any circumstance.

So really this is at base a semantic argument, the type of which is greatly satisfying to sports fans everywhere :)

Maybe Mac might be content with Hoyer just in case Lynch is actually really good, really soon. In which case it might not help to have a more expensive, undisputed starter like Fitzpatrick will be once he’s signed. 

I think it’s far more likely that we’d be thinking long term with Lynch. And Fitz would be the ideal guy for that. I think he gives us the best chance to be competitive and he’s relatively popular among the fans too so I don’t think there would be the intense clamour to play Lynch that there would be with a Hoyer. If you want him to sit, you have to consider that. 

We have several positions that require upgrading so I will be fine with BPA but If they feel Lynch could be the guy then move up and get him.  I wonder what talks they have had around Mo.  I would take a first round pick from anyone since we would lose him for nothing next season.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

They are not linked in the sense you think I'm trying to argue. All I'm saying is if he is there AND Jets pass, I believe Fitz is a done deal. But again, Lynch (a) won't be there and (b) if he is by some miracle, Jets aren't passing under any circumstance.

So really this is at base a semantic argument, the type of which is greatly satisfying to sports fans everywhere :)

Why would the Jets be less interested in Fitz if they take a QB that supposedly needs 1-2 years of holding a clipboard? Why would passing on Lynch (who supposedly isn't any more ready than Petty was a year ago, and isn't too bright to boot)), be a reason they're Fitzpatrick?

Or are you suggesting the team might pass on Lynch because they have a deal in place with Fitzpatrick? 

Also it may seem coincidental at that time, if that is when Mo is traded (thus clearing up $16M of cap room needed to sign him in the first place).

Archived