My top QBS of 2015-16 for NFL Draft

Tony The Wiz

After watching hundreds of college football games and watching the combine this is my oplnion of what I have seen this year. This year has been an interesting and good year for QBS. I watched an Eastern Washington QB graduate to the big time. I have seen big QBS and small QBS.  This year was so different last year where you had two first round grade QBS and than 2 QBS who dropped to 3rd or 4th round grades. We picked one of those in Petty.  Now remember every one has an opinion on a player so you don't have to nasty on this post. It is my opinion. Now I did have some opinions about past drafts where I was completely right especially if it had to do with the Jets. I hated the Sanchez draft. Yes he did take us to the playoffs but overall he was not ready to be a QB in the NFL. I also hated the Geno Move and thought he was no way near being a legitimate NFL QB. I also hate the Milner pick and I stated he had multiple injuries and he never see the field and the Mcdougle pick at the pick they picked him since he was another injured player. I took flack for this on this board as well as the Clowney pick by Houston after I said on this board he has immens talent but he takes many plays off and if he did this in the NFL he will get injured. I also didn't like two picks by the Jets that also had this problem and this was Ghoulston and Coples. If you watched Michigan St. And North Carolina when they were there you understand what I am saying. Getting back to the QBS this is a year we need to get one of these QBS. Obviously we can't get the top 2 in Wentz and Goff but we need to get Lynch. Now remember he was a 1 year wonder but he was talk of college football before Wentz who was injured and Goff who wasn't performing well. Why I like Lynch? He has a chip on his shoulder. He was only recruited by Memphis and he has something to prove. So here goes my rankings.

1. JARED GOFF   A top 5 pick because he is NFL ready and has all the tools.   Sorry Francesca after hearing there wasn't  Winston  in this draft. 

2.  CARSON WENTZ .  A top 5 pick because he has all the tools but he has not have as much tape this year but at his pro day showed you his skills.

3.  PAXTON LYNCH.     Because of his position he should be picked from 10 to 15.  Look at Joe Flacco and who he played for in college and you see a similar player.  Jets go get this QB and keep him away from  REX.

4.  CONNOR COOK     This QB and person just confuses me. He seems some large and tough on a football field by why not being voted a captain bothers me. The team that picks him needs to get him in a room and pick his brains and find out who he is. I do like him as a QB. There is just too much goofd film on him the pat years.    I have him in the late 1st round. I see Denver picking him in this draft.

This where it gets interesting in this field a QBS. We have still some bigs even though 4 are gone. The first 4 are 6:4 and bigger.  The problem is the next 4 big QBS have flaws. We have Hackenberg who I am not a fan of. Reminds me of Kerry Collins. No pass rush he looks fine but any kind of pass rush he looks like jelly.  Than we have Kevin Hogan who at 6:4 is tough as nails and has a great maturity about but has a flaw in his throwing motion. The QB who I was all in on was the Indiana QB Sudfeld who at 6:5 and big with body and arm also has a flaw and his is balance. He hops in his throwing motion. Both of these guys need to be coached up. Another big QB is a surprise on my list is Joel Stave at of Wisconsin who is 6:5 and looked real good at the combine but his play this year was inconsistent. But he has no flaws in his motion. Other big QBS but are thinner but more athletic Brandon Doughty, Jacoby Brissett and Jeff Driskel. Doughty is the QB nobody talks about but looked good at Western Kentucky, Brissett just does everything just good but not great at anything and Driskell was the most high school sort and very athletic but erratic. So for my next picks will be the smaller QBS. 

5. BRANDON ALLEN -   Out of Arkansas he just improved and improved. At 6:1 1/2  he is smallis but I like his arm and his overall demeanor. I could see him probably going in the 4th but I like him around late 2nd early 3rd. 

6. VERNON ADAMS    I just cannot stop thinking about his bowl game when he took his Oregon team to a 35 to 0 halftime lead against TCU in Texas. Seeing this I seen a clone of Wilson. I seen him at Eastern Washington and than transferring to Oregon and seen his improvement and he dominated in the all star game.   He will probably be drafted in the late 5th or early 6th but I tell you investing a 3rd round pick after what Wilson has done won't be out of the question.

7. I could go Presscott here or Brissett and won't be wrong but I like NATE SUDFELD and his overall ability. He needs to be coached up but I see his upsize. I mean did anyone watch his big ten games and his stats even with this hop on his delivery.  I see a team investing a 4th round pick on him. 

8. BRANDON DOUGHTY   At 6:3 1/4 he has the size and he is athletic. I just like what I saw when I watch him. He is a competitor and I see him on a team sitting and learning. I like his upside.  I also see a team should invest in a 4th round for a future QB in the NFL. 

9.  KEVIN HOGAN   Like Sudfeld Hogas has such an upside since he is a winner. He knows how to play football and be a QB. He just needs to sit and get a good QB coach to get that low delivery straighten out.  But you can't replace heart.  Late 4th or early fifth

10.  The next three are Hackenberg, Brissett and Presscott.  What order I am going to put them is something I go back and back with. What do I want a QB like Hackenberg who seems like jelly when the rush comes but has all the tools or a competitor like Presscott but has limited abilities or someone is just good on all aspects of a QB I Brissett.  My choice is BRISSETT.  He makes plays and I like to see what his game transfers to the NFL.  BRISSETT also is Late 4th early fifth worthy. 

11.  CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG.   So all of you Penn St. fans and alumni you could curse me out. Maybe he will prove me wrong. Look he has all the tools but does he have the heart. He just reminds me of Kerry Collins. Look Collins had some good years but you better have a good offensive line. We will see. In my book because of his tools he deserves a late 4th to early 5th rating.

12.  ZAK PRESSCOTT.     I am not as high on him for the NFL as Mayock, Mchsay and Kiper.  I don't look at him like a mini Newton since he is only 6:2. He is not as strong and no where near an arm as Newton. He is a good teammate and a good competitor. I see him going earlier than where I would pick him which is the 5th round to 6th round pick. 

Now for the later round QBS there are two that I like. I like DRISKELL since he so athletic but he needs to learn since he is erratic and JOEL STAVE who could be a surprise in this draft.  If anyone could get the QB part of the combine and watch this guy throw a football. He is worth a pick on just his body and throwing ability. Like I said his biggest flaw was his decision making. So 

13. JOEL STAVE   

14. JEFF DRISKELL

Other QBS in this draft who should either be drafted late but definitely needs to be in a camp are a bunch of QBS some who I am high on and others not so much. First two guys I like seeing in a NFL camp is MIKE BERCOVICI out of Arizona St. and JAKE RUDDOCK out of Michigan. Both of these QBS had excellent times this year and just when you say that they were in the high class of QBS they would have a clunker game or moments. Bercovici is undersized at 6:0 but is a competitor as is Ruddock who at 6:2 is taller and was coached by Harbaugh. 

The QBS that I am not high on is JAKE COKER. CODY KESSLER, Utahs TRAVIS WILSON, BLAKE FRONAPEL out of MASS. and defineltly not ------- HIGH ON CARDINALE JONES  he is a disaster.  

Other QB not mention but should are BOYKIN out of TCU who was likened to Wilson but he is so not accurate with his passes. He doesn't have a bad arm. Marquis Williams out of North Carolina St. makes plays and is a project and Josh Woodrum I just don't know too much about him but he was invited to the combine.  

So all you haters you could start hating but I am giving you what I have seen in over 200 games. I also watched the combine and some home days and all star games so I got a pretty good idea who will be going when and where. Being temporary disabled from my job allowed me to watch and I always loved college football and I been evaluating players for many many years since as a Jet fan I tried to will some of my picks to them. Some got there like Pennington,Revis, Gasteneau and Sheldon and some I wanted to shoot myself like Johnny Lam Jones, Ghoulston and that lousy NT from Kentucky.

13 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

So all you haters you could start hating but I am giving you what I have seen in over 200 games I watched as the combine and some home days and all star games.  

With statements like that, you must be popular. Who are we to argue, you are "the wiz" after all.

I heard Kiper talking about Brissett the other day and said he's a name he's heard about fifteen times in the past two weeks which usually means he's going to go much higher than people are projecting based on his past experiences.  Says historically, guys whose names heat up in conversations with FO personnel leading up to the draft are usually climbing draft boards.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I heard Kiper talking about Brissett the other day and said he's a name he's heard about fifteen times in the past two weeks which usually means he's going to go much higher than people are projecting based on his past experiences.  Says historically, guys whose names heat up in conversations with FO personnel leading up to the draft are usually climbing draft boards.

I'm very high on Brissett myself. He's my sleeper pick this year much like his fellow NC St alumni Russell Wilson was years ago. I'd love for the Jets to draft him, he's got legit starting potential. Like him alot more than Cook and HACKenberg

21 minutes ago, King P said:

I'm very high on Brissett myself. He's my sleeper pick this year much like his fellow NC St alumni Russell Wilson was years ago. I'd love for the Jets to draft him, he's got legit starting potential. Like him alot more than Cook and HACKenberg

Kid is a trainwreck at QB. Watched tons of his games and he never showed me anything. He has talent, nothing else. There is nothing going on upstairs. He doesn't see the game, he just plays the game. For a QB to have a low football IQ is trouble. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Kid is a trainwreck at QB. Watched tons of his games and he never showed me anything. He has talent, nothing else. There is nothing going on upstairs. He doesn't see the game, he just plays the game. For a QB to have a low football IQ is trouble. 

Stop it, he doesn't have a low IQ. He goes through his progressions very well and takes good care of the football. Low IQ QBs don't do that. He's not the smartest QB and has things he needs to improve on (especially picking up the blitz) but he is by no means dumb.

There are a couple of QBs that can be classified as a train wreck. Brissett is not one of them

45 minutes ago, King P said:

Stop it, he doesn't have a low IQ. He goes through his progressions very well and takes good care of the football. Low IQ QBs don't do that. He's not the smartest QB and has things he needs to improve on (especially picking up the blitz) but he is by no means dumb.

There are a couple of QBs that can be classified as a train wreck. Brissett is not one of them

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=CFB&id=130836&line=55520&spln=1

Jacoby Brissett: Scout: QB Brissett is better than Bridgewater

Jacoby Brissett - QB - NCS - Apr. 21 - 6:29 pm et

An anonymous NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that North Carolina State QB Jacoby Brissett is "better than Teddy Bridgewater."
"He has a chance to be a starter," said the scout. "I think he's better than Teddy Bridgewater. He's bigger, got a better arm and better pocket presence, and is a great kid. People will want to work with him. He's got this huge lower body. Guys just have a hard time bringing him down. He's not a speed guy but he's not a slug." Another scout threw out a Daunte Culpepper comp. "Strong arm with a compact motion," he said. "Just really inconsistent." Brissett has a lot of tools. Our concern is that he developed a few bad habits behind a poor offensive line. "He doesn't play fast," a third scout said. "He's methodical. I don't know if he can carry a team on his back." Apr. 21 - 6:29 pm et 
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

3 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Other QB not mention but should are BOYKIN out of TCU who was likened to Wilson but he is so not accurate with his passes. He doesn't have a bad arm. 

Boykin could be a halfway decent project if you take away the police problems. TCU's football team always seems to have crime problems although the school does a good job sweeping them under the rug. I'd personally be hesitant to take anybody from TCU as anything more than a project. Boykin definitely did not do himself any favors punching an officer late last year. He could be Geno 2.0 with questionable accuracy and attitude. 

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-related-Takeaways-from-Mel-Kipers-Pre-NFL-Draft-Conference-Call/ae54c360-7f72-43dd-94bc-0e7ac71d8512

"Jacoby Brissett from North Carolina State has gained a lot of momentum. Brissett is 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds. He can throw the football. He’s got a strong arm, and he’s athletic. He’s raw, but he’s got talent.”

-Mel Kiper 4/19/2016

Nice list:

Goff:  I agree, No. 1 in my book as well.  He doesn't have the tools of Wentz, but played against better competition, and is accurate.  

Wentz:  He has the tools, but I can't get past the competition.  He did well against the competition, but his team was better.  This was a fear I had with Sanchez, because USC pretty much out-recruited everyone, so he had a competitive advantage.  North Dakota has the same advantage, so I just can't buy into him, although he checks off all the boxes physically and mentally.  

Lynch:  He's the 3rd QB in the draft, but I think he has a major learning curve ahead of him.  

Cook:  His film looks fine, but something is off about him.  I think he's a darkhorse for late first, but where there is smoke, usually some fire as well.  

After those 4, I think this class is a total shot in the dark.  

Hackenberg, He could be great, he could be horrible.  However, people penalize prospects for playing in a great system and/or with great players.  He played in a very good system with an All Pro in Robinson, and when they went away, he went in the tank.  He has the tools, but he's very risky.   

Brisset:  I see a lesser version of Petty with him.  He's not that good at deep passes, seems to have a high amount of passes batted down, and I feel like he needs a ton of development.   I wouldn't pick him because I just don't see the upside his size and arm indicates.

Allen:  He's probably my favorite prospect outside of the top 3 (top 4, I have no idea what to make out from Cook) and if I had to bet who would start atleast 5 games in the next two years (besides the top 3 (+Cook) then this is my guy.  He has the arm, production against good defenses, a bit of mobility, and he's used to dropping back from the LOS.  If he can improve his eyes downfield and the almost constant reliance of play action, I think he's a sleeper.  

Coker:  He is interesting, because he had to sit behind Manuel and Winston.  By what I read, he had picked up Alabama's offense the year before, but senior Blake Sims was respected, and teammates wanted him to get a shot.  He has arm talent for sure, but seems like a backup.  He's probably picked in the 6th round or so, but I think he could be a decent backup.  Doesn't make sense for us, because we have Petty. 

I haven't watched much of Hogan to go one way or another, alas I'm going to leave him alone. 

Doughty:  Great stats, but I didn't like him too much, especially the LSU game, constantly throwing behind WRs, and only big plays seemed to be blown coverage.  

Mike Bercovici is seriously being slept on this year. Yeah he's only 6'0 and he has some things to work on with his game, but if he puts it together this kid will be a beast. He easily has one of the most powerful arms in this draft and probably the quickest release. 

I'd take Bercovici of a few of these names mentioned. Actually I'd also take his receiver Devin Lucien over some of the WR's mentioned in this draft year as well. 

Good write-up Tony.  

I think there is some good back-up QB talent in the middle of the draft.  Brissett looks good, Kessler got a shot and Rudock seems like a promising talent.  

Tony, what are your thoughts on Gibbs out of Alcorn State?

2 hours ago, legler82 said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=CFB&id=130836&line=55520&spln=1

Jacoby Brissett: Scout: QB Brissett is better than Bridgewater

Jacoby Brissett - QB - NCS - Apr. 21 - 6:29 pm et

An anonymous NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that North Carolina State QB Jacoby Brissett is "better than Teddy Bridgewater."
"He has a chance to be a starter," said the scout. "I think he's better than Teddy Bridgewater. He's bigger, got a better arm and better pocket presence, and is a great kid. People will want to work with him. He's got this huge lower body. Guys just have a hard time bringing him down. He's not a speed guy but he's not a slug." Another scout threw out a Daunte Culpepper comp. "Strong arm with a compact motion," he said. "Just really inconsistent." Brissett has a lot of tools. Our concern is that he developed a few bad habits behind a poor offensive line. "He doesn't play fast," a third scout said. "He's methodical. I don't know if he can carry a team on his back." Apr. 21 - 6:29 pm et 
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

I'd be terrified if I had that scout working for my team.

Nice breakdown although for future reference I wouldn't bother listing your "credentials" with previous drafts. It's quite cringeworthy.

I don't follow a lot of College Football, bits and pieces but I actually think Cardale Jones could actually be worth a really late pick as a 2/3 year project. Maybe not for us as we already have Petty but I bet some team will take a flyer on him. He's got all the physical talent and makes the hard stuff look easy at times, just very raw with the basics.

8 hours ago, King P said:

I watch as much college football as NFL football and Brisset was just awful. Whenever I watched him I came away unimpressed as a college QB, let alone an NFL QB. People just fall in love with the size/arm/athleticism like they did with Logan Thomas and forget that he can't play QB.  

14 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

3.  PAXTON LYNCH.     Because of his position he should be picked from 10 to 15.  Look at Joe Flacco and who he played for in college and you see a similar player.  Jets go get this QB and keep him away from  REX.

My source says the opposite:

On April 14, 2016 at 11:13 AM, kelly said:

just an fyi.. p.lynch is a 2nd rounder... he might slip into the 3rd    ;)

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

nice post Tony. 

Paxton will be a first rounder. this league is desperate for QB's. wouldn't be a huge shock if we take him at 20 to me. but I hope we don't. OLB or OL is my wish at that spot, followed by CB

with you on Vernon. select him in the 4th or 5th, would be really intriguing. 

no Cook, no Hack, no Hogan please 

Just now, 19andOhWait said:

nice post Tony. 

Paxton will be a first rounder. this league is desperate for QB's. wouldn't be a huge shock if we take him at 20 to me. but I hope we don't. OLB or OL is my wish at that spot, followed by CB

with you on Vernon. select him in the 4th or 5th, would be really intriguing. 

no Cook, no Hack, no Hogan please 

I have a feeling Lynch, Cook and Hackenberg will all go higher than they've generally been projected, it's been the trend in recent years and they all have the upside that I can see at leasst one team really believing in.

I think they're all gone mid way through the 2nd.

I agree with most of what you say in your list, especially where you have Allen.  I also agree on the potential of Adams, I didn't see the TCU bowl game but did see the shrine bowl and he looked just terrific in that game in all aspects you look for in a QB.  He looked far better and more polished than the more high profile QB's in that game.

13 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Good write-up Tony.  

I think there is some good back-up QB talent in the middle of the draft.  Brissett looks good, Kessler got a shot and Rudock seems like a promising talent.  

Tony, what are your thoughts on Gibbs out of Alcorn State?

I can't say since I have not seen him or any film on him. Try to see if I get some YouTube videos but they really don't have film on players like him.

4 hours ago, jetrider said:

My source says the opposite:

Don't know who your source is but this opinion is subjected. If any one really knew how good these kids were going to be every team will shoot a ton of money that persons way. Remember when Peyton was drafted many experts had the Washington St. QB ahead of him. I never said I was all right but if I have to tell you the truth I have a knack for getting it right. Every expert out there had said Sanchez was a franchise QB and I stated no way to every one that knew me. I think Lynch will be a good NFL QB and I like that he has a chip on his shoulder.

Archived