Jets #1 Draft Pick: Pre-Complaint Thread

Sarge4Tide

One week from right now, the forum will be pretty busy with everyone complaining about the Jets 1st round draft pick.  Please use this thread to go ahead and beat the rush so your complaints and alternative scenarios can be heard and discussed.   You can also use this thread to comment on shrewd moves and stellar picks by other teams.

I'm normally pretty easy to please with drafts. I don't get too invested in any prospects individually and always just view it as the team getting upgraded. The only pick I remember really hating was Milliner and I'll hate if we draft a DT this year for the same sort of reason (although this would be far worse).

I would like us to go offence for once. 

4 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

QB or edge rusher with the first round pick.  Anything else will cause me to weep in my beer.

Hope you're not drinking anything expensive. QB seems less likely by the day and no edge rusher is going to be worth #20. Get ready for offensive tackle!

28 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I just wanna get rid of Mo.....that is my only complaint that Mac might have misplayed it and that he's unable to move the big guy.

What do you mean by misplayed? I know fans love to bash the GM, but tell me how YOU would have played it since you are ready to bash mac for "misplaying" it. 

6 minutes ago, jbt said:

can't wait for the pick to be a CB or DT and the place goes wild

CB depends, if a guy like Hargreaves  drops I would run to the podium to draft him. DT is just not a need or BPA in my opinion, another position will be there at 20 with an overall better  value.

This is obviously an unashamed "High Post Count Thread Grab" by Sarge.

Guy's been off his game lately and needs a big hit!

It's kind of like the Posters version of "Death of a Salesman"

Had to get this thread in early before TuscanyTile or JW beat him to it.

Just SAD.....:help:

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What do you mean by misplayed? I know fans love to bash the GM, but tell me how YOU would have played it since you are ready to bash mac for "misplaying" it. 

I would have let Mo walk and gotten a 2017 third round comp pick...with he extra cap on the first 1-2 days of FA I would have signed someone of need.  So to me if we can't trade Mo then it's been mishandled.

Normally you want BPA of course but I agree no DL please.  Not in the first round.  If they move Wilkerson I would still not be happy, but obviously less unhappy than if they keep him and also go DL in the first round.

Since I can't make up my mind about Lynch, and assume the FO has questions about him, too, I guess we might well expect something other than Qb in the first round, and if so I want OL or an edge rusher, next middle linebacker, in such case.  I don't expect a skill position O, so I guess I would not lose it if they went secondary for a good prospect.

I just hope that we keep Mo and that our rumors to move up were for Buckner or one of the other 300+ lb DE.  

If not, what are we gonna do in two years with Richardson.  We can't franchise them all.

17 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

CB depends, if a guy like Hargreaves  drops I would run to the podium to draft him. DT is just not a need or BPA in my opinion, another position will be there at 20 with an overall better  value.

Well there is a good chance Hargreaves will be still be there when the Jets are picking.   Rumor is he failed the NFL drug test, and will be in the NFL substance abuse policy.    Hargreaves who doesn't have ideal size or speed could drop out of the first round.

It is often not who we draft but who we draft with who is on the board I usually rage about.  I have a list of 1st rounders I would like, a huge list of guys I would have doubts about but trust the front office and a small list of DO NOT DRAFT at 20 I'd like to stamp on their foreheads.

There's a lot to potentially complain about.

If that 18 Wonderlic for Lynch is true then you just drafted a talented guy, but one you need to teach how to play quarterback in the NFL despite him being not that bright.

Connor Cook's mom might not like Connor Cook. Also that completion percentage is gross.

Treadwell is slow and doesn't jump high. Not necessarily dealbreakers but I can complain about them.

I like Doctson when I watch him but he produced at an older age and is light - those tend not to translate well for WR's.

Decker and Conklin in theory make sense but those mid first round B10 tackles who people project to the right side tend not to work out.

Spriggs and Ifeidi are both really raw and you might not get immediate contributions. Seems like there's a chance you could also get one of them in the second.

Another defensive lineman would be rough.

Spence is small, tested poorly, his big time production was at a small program, and he's had off field issues we don't know are cleared up. Also Lawson is the only edge guy who made it through the force players criteria which has historically been solid.

ILB isn't a premium position and I don't really see an immediate need with Harris, Henderson, and Carter. That said I wouldn't hate finally having a LB who can cover so Lee and his sub-4.5 40 could be cool.

The top corners in this draft all have reputations for not tackling. Which can get you in trouble on the back end.

I think that just about covers it. Can't wait till Thursday.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I just wanna get rid of Mo.....that is my only complaint that Mac might have misplayed it and that he's unable to move the big guy.

His contract demands have teams scared to trade for him. I say, and I have said this many times before, that Mac should simply drop the franchise tag on Mo the way Carolina did with the difficult Josh Norman negotiations. If Mac feels the Jets have offered fair value and Mo won't sign, then dump him. His replacement is already in house and that 15 mil would go a long way toward filling some of the other holes on this team. One player is holding the team hostage and if it was me he would be gone as Kyle Wilson.

3 hours ago, derp said:

There's a lot to potentially complain about.

If that 18 Wonderlic for Lynch is true then you just drafted a talented guy, but one you need to teach how to play quarterback in the NFL despite him being not that bright.

I looked up some Wonderlic scores:

Geno Smith got a 24 and Sanchez a 28.  Neither were ever accused of being a genius.

Testaverde got 17, so Lynch beat him by one.

Roethisberger got 25, Flacco 27.

I think Lynch's 18 could be a problem.  

The fact that the Jets do not have a franchise or close QB will continue to make them have to take chances on other QBs until they find one.  That forces the team to potentially waste draft picks, hence the advantage of having a Fitzpatrick on the roster.

I can see this being a draft that does not resemble any of the mocks.  I think there may be too much inside information out there that the fans just don't see.

Archived