Jets #1 Draft Pick: Pre-Complaint Thread

Sarge4Tide

Just make sure the guy is a High Motor, competitive guy who LOVES football, and ovviously has 1st rd talent, you usually can't go wrong with those type of players no matter the position. 

Hopefully Mac knows which guys these are.

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

I looked up some Wonderlic scores:

Geno Smith got a 24 and Sanchez a 28.  Neither were ever accused of being a genius.

Testaverde got 17, so Lynch beat him by one.

Roethisberger got 25, Flacco 27.

I think Lynch's 18 could be a problem.  

The fact that the Jets do not have a franchise or close QB will continue to make them have to take chances on other QBs until they find one.  That forces the team to potentially waste draft picks, hence the advantage of having a Fitzpatrick on the roster.

I can see this being a draft that does not resemble any of the mocks.  I think there may be too much inside information out there that the fans just don't see.

McElroy scored a 48 how did that work out? on the flip side...Dan Marino scored a 16, Terry Bradshaw 15, maybe Paxton is going to be too smart to play qb successfully by your logic.

All I can say is expect the unexpected, if we think it's a OLB or QB, it's probably something else like a T or a CB, definitely not a RB or TE, there's  no way Mac ever takes a RB or TE in the 1st.  If mac does draft a QB, look for him to dump Geno for a 

late round pick, I can't see Bowles and Mac parting  with Mr. Playoffs.  Give them around 18 months to come their senses.

7 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Just make sure the guy is a High Motor, competitive guy who LOVES football, and ovviously has 1st rd talent, you usually can't go wrong with those type of players no matter the position. 

Hopefully Mac knows which guys these are.

Only white guys are described as high motor, are you suggesting we only draft white guys? Different but I'm willing to try anything at this point .

The title of this thread is hysterical... Let's prepare for our misery.. only a Jets site. Classic. 

i will need to be talked off a cliff if we do not draft a pass rusher. I am so sick of not having a pass rush. I want to just pull my freaking hair out watching QBs with enough time to do their taxes back there. Nothing eats at my ulcer worse than that. I am sick of watching my team play defense with a pained expression on my face. Pretty please, with sugar on top, rush the ****ing passer.

Forcing the issue @ #20 by drafting a guy like Lynch or Spence would piss me off. 

I would most prefer 1st dibs on a WR at this point. Even a CB wouldnt be too bad, but I really would like to invest a 1st round pick on the offensive side of the ball for once. I'd rather get the best WR and help provide another legit target in that 4 WR set Chan loves to run. 

35 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Only white guys are described as high motor, are you suggesting we only draft white guys? Different but I'm willing to try anything at this point .

I hope this is in jest, a guy like Sheldon Richardson is considered a high motor player, and 100's more who are not white.

11 hours ago, jett said:

BPA only

is that right? Is that a universal "best practice" policy? So you'd have been OK with us taking say Gurley last year and then Elliot again this if that was the BPA?

The only thing dumber than being wildly reckless, is being wildly static. You have to be able to read the tea leaves. If the BPA is A. Robinson, I can bet you my penis he's not the pick. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Forcing the issue @ #20 by drafting a guy like Lynch or Spence would piss me off. 

I would most prefer 1st dibs on a WR at this point. Even a CB wouldnt be too bad, but I really would like to invest a 1st round pick on the offensive side of the ball for once. I'd rather get the best WR and help provide another legit target in that 4 WR set Chan loves to run. 

I wouldn't be upset, but with Devin Smith, Enunwa and Amaro coming back do we really need another pass catcher that isn't a true Tight End? I am all about BPA but at some point you have to consider needs to some extent.  

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I wouldn't be upset, but with Devin Smith, Enunwa and Amaro coming back do we really need another pass catcher that isn't a true Tight End? I am all about BPA but at some point you have to consider needs to some extent.  

Yes. Outside of the things I can say about Amaro not being a natural catcher or Enunwa not being a consistent reliable target as a WR, the Jets at #20 may have the first pickings at WR and we all know that Marshall/Decker wont be here too long. Why even wait for it to be a problem when we have a solid WR draft at the top right now? 

With every QB and OLB we actually like most likely off the board by the time the draft gets to us (Browns could still take Lynch at #8, but lets say they dont), why take the 3rd or 4th best QB/OLB when you can start the run on WR's? 

Does anyone really think that Paxton Lynch is a better QB than Laquan Treadwell or Josh Doctson are at WR? Same question could be posed for Noah Spence. Thats just based on a "best player available situation as well". If Lynch, Cook, Ragland, Spence, Treadwell, Doctson are all sitting at 20...no way im thinking any of those guys are better than Treadwell/Doctson. Add the fact that Marshall/Decker are our only reliable targets and if any of them get injured that could be our season right there. Draft a guy like Treadwell that can play inside/outside, natural hands, beyond his years when it comes to nuance of the position. He's a guy that wouldnt be a reach or a hope at #20.

I would have let Mo walk and gotten a 2017 third round comp pick...with he extra cap on the first 1-2 days of FA I would have signed someone of need.  So to me if we can't trade Mo then it's been mishandled.

Fair enough, but the guy you sign in free agency could easily cancel out, or at least reduce, that third round pick. Say you let him walk, sign a significant replacement and end up with a fifth next year ... does that do it for you?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Fair enough, but the guy you sign in free agency could easily cancel out, or at least reduce, that third round pick. Say you let him walk, sign a significant replacement and end up with a fifth next year ... does that do it for you?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Well I have to admit that that is a good point and food for thought.  Geez, it ain't easy being a GM.

Trade Mo for a first(if possible) or a 2nd and a 4th, Draft Noah Spence, use the 2 second round picks to draft olinemen, add a cb or wr in the 3rd and take my sleeper Kevin Hogan in the 4th. BOOM 

28 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Trade Mo for a first(if possible) or a 2nd and a 4th, Draft Noah Spence, use the 2 second round picks to draft olinemen, add a cb or wr in the 3rd and take my sleeper Kevin Hogan in the 4th. BOOM 

hang-myself-o-s.gif

11 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Just curious if you are happy with our last draft. Reviews have been somewhat mixed. 

Hated the Smith pick, thought he bought too much into the playoff hype for him. After he was a terrible player his whole other college career.

Otherwise it was pretty good

20 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Just curious if you are happy with our last draft. Reviews have been somewhat mixed. 

To me, the jury is still out.  Williams looks like the real deal and I am optimistic about Mauldin, but every other pick is still a question mark.  Smith was underwhelming when on the field and with the injury, its still going to be a while before we know what kind of pro he will be..  The other 3 guys haven't played a snap yet, Petty, Harrison, Simon, who knows what they will be.  Could be a really good draft if Williams and Mauldin become impact players and a couple of the other guys become solid contributors.  Just don't know yet.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

To me, the jury is still out.  Williams looks like the real deal and I am optimistic about Mauldin, but every other pick is still a question mark.  Smith was underwhelming when on the field and with the injury, its still going to be a while before we know what kind of pro he will be..  The other 3 guys haven't played a snap yet, Petty, Harrison, Simon, who knows what they will be.  Could be a really good draft if Williams and Mauldin become impact players and a couple of the other guys become solid contributors.  Just don't know yet.

Looking at who was available when we picked especially at 1 and 2, I think Mac screwed up big time.

Broncos got a better DE at 1, and Fitz (Mr. Playoffs) can't reach Smith deep, so that is a huge problem,

don't think Mac will make it, give 2 years and he is gone.

The Williams pick was a good pick.  He graded very high.  Beasley and White are not sure things.  The one concern I have though were the pictures I just saw of him reporting to OTAs.  I did not look as "buff" as I would liked.  I thought he needed to work on strength.

The Devin Smith pick appears to be a need reach.   They were trying to replicate Desean Jackson and Brandin Cooks.  D. Smith is not looking like he is in the same class.

Given the Jets depth at DE at the time, the home run picks for 6 last year were either Gurley or Beasley if he pans out as a true EDGE.  Otherwise, the jury is still out

If I am MacC I am avoiding the busts-get 6 good players who make the roster better.  That is why signing Fitz is important.  Getting a Hackenburg, Cook (2nd round) or Hogan allow them to replace Geno and build for the future with QBs who can play in pro style systems.  If Lynch falls to them in the 2nd like Geno did, maybe you pick him then.  Remember, Geno was a top 5 pick at one time.

In my view, BPA does apply to a position you are loaded at, and if you NEED a QB, you will not pick him BPA.  You need to reach and swing for those.  

On 4/23/2016 at 9:50 AM, Larz said:

damnit ! the guy that was going to lead us to a SB was taken just 1 spot ahead of us !!!

damnit!  the guy that was going to lead us to a SB was on the board when we picked and we blew it !!!

I aint gonna name names but lol

Archived