Cardale Jones

redman81

Question for you guys. Let's say hypothetically that all the top QBs are gone by the time Jets pick and that they don't trade up for Lynch or something. Would you be against taking Jones in the 2nd or 3rd and seeing if he could turn into anything in the NFL. He def has the arm strength and some agility in the pocket, but the question would come down to his football IQ and if anyone can help him in that department. Could be a long shot, but might be worth a look if anyone they really want goes before any of their picks.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Jones has a lot of talent, but IMO it would be a big mistake to take him before the 4th.  Kids got meatballs between his ears.   

I don't think he's as dumb as people are making him out to be, the kid is just raw and he needs a lot of work. He only threw 270 passes in 3 years at Ohio state

One of the biggest myths of this draft is Cardale Jones being dumb

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/04/15/top-ten-biggest-myths-of-the-2016-nfl-draft-season/

2. Cardale Jones is a dumb football player

Cardale JonesHas Jones struggled academically in the past? Sure, but problems in the classroom do not equal problems on the football field. I’m not trying to say Jones is Andrew Luck in terms of football I.Q., but he’s no Jamarcus Russell either. In fact, Jones shows more comfortability moving through progressions on tape than Carson Wentz or Paxton Lynch right now, keeping his eyes downfield and knowing when to move to his second and third reads.

I’m not about to bring race into it like some people, but we need to stop holding Jones’ “classes are pointless” tweets from 2012 against him as a football player. There are concerns on tape, but intelligence isn’t one of them.

12 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I don't think he's as dumb as people are making him out to be, the kid is just raw and he needs a lot of work. He only threw 270 passes in 3 years at Ohio state

He's really not. But of course, people have no problem slapping the "low IQ" label on Black QBs. It never fails

I'm just saying he could be worth taking a chance on if everyone else is gone by a certain point on day 2 or 3. At that point we would prob run this yr with Fitz and Geno as backup or  if they felt comfortable enough with Petty as backup and Jones could go practice squad and see if he can make any progress this yr.

47 minutes ago, cant wait said:

What about cardale jones reminds you of geno other than being black?

they both play like they're jv's on the senior team... just make too many poor decisions & unforced errors... yeah & they're both black... so is Wilson  :/

My question for Cardale is does he really want it or is he happy being a career back up?  great team mate, has all the skills,  when he was the one, he stepped up and won it all but when he had to compete we did not see the same fire, he was set up to run the table and repeat and lost the starting job...

Cardale could very well be a diamond in the rough, but I still don't want the Jets to utilize a precious draft pick on another project who won't be ready for a few years.  Moreover, there is NO way under any circumstances that a team should use a 2nd or a 3rd on him, IMO.

20 minutes ago, jetsons said:

they both play like they're jv's on the senior team... just make too many poor decisions & unforced errors... yeah & they're both black... so is Wilson  :/

What? Geno and Jones are nowhere near the same guys based on what they've done on the field. Geno was actually on the Heisman watch his junior and senior last in college. Dude threw for over 4,000 yards, over 40 TD's and just 6 ints his senior season. He completed over 71% of his passes averaged over 8 yards per pass completion. 

Geno completed more passes his senior season than Cardale has even attempted in his entire college career. 

Nothing about these two guys in regards to football is even similar. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

I'm not sold on Jones, when someone equates you to a "poor man's Jamarcus Russell" I tend to

stay away.  I think someone we could look at is Jacoby Brissett, after reading his scouting report

he sounds intriguing:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jacoby-brissett?id=2555261

Cam Newton was compared to Jamarcus Russell too. So was Jameis Winston.

I don't put too much stock into the Jamarcus Russell comparison. If you're big and black, you're gonna get compared to Jamarcus Russell. Regardless of whether you're anything like him or not

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

What? Geno and Jones are nowhere near the same guys based on what they've done on the field. Geno was actually on the Heisman watch his junior and senior last in college. Dude threw for over 4,000 yards, over 40 TD's and just 6 ints his senior season. He completed over 71% of his passes averaged over 8 yards per pass completion. 

Geno completed more passes his senior season than Cardale has even attempted in his entire college career. 

Nothing about these two guys in regards to football is even similar. 

Nonsense. In regards to football, neither one is capable of playing quarterback in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Definitely worth taking a chance on for some team, but I think we already have a horse in that race with Petty. Still wouldn't mind taking, he had the physical talent of a top 10 pick and does some of the most difficult things pretty well.

He already has a demerit coming from an Urban Meyer system, but to actually be benched? I dont know but if it was up to me I'd pick him up as an UDRFA. 

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

My question for Cardale is does he really want it or is he happy being a career back up?  great team mate, has all the skills,  when he was the one, he stepped up and won it all but when he had to compete we did not see the same fire, he was set up to run the table and repeat and lost the starting job...

He lost the starting job mainly because he wasn't as good a fit as barrett. Jones ended up throwing more and completing more passes than Barrett this year. 

Not saying I love Jones but he has immense talent as a pocket qb. He isn't a scrambler like most here assume.  

With that said,  he's a big time project and shouldn't be taken before late 3rd/4th round. 

1 hour ago, King P said:

Cam Newton was compared to Jamarcus Russell too. So was Jameis Winston.

I don't put too much stock into the Jamarcus Russell comparison. If you're big and black, you're gonna get compared to Jamarcus Russell. Regardless of whether you're anything like him or not

I don't remember anyone saying Newton or Winston were dumb.  They're saying Jones is dumb.  Why?  well the OP, while defending his intelligence, tells you why he's got the "dumb" rep.  He got poor grades and stated, "classes are useless".  Which is a pretty dumb thing to say if you ask me, considering how many people, black, white, or otherwise, would kill for a full ride to college.

50 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I don't remember anyone saying Newton or Winston were dumb.  They're saying Jones is dumb.  Why?  well the OP, while defending his intelligence, tells you why he's got the "dumb" rep.  He got poor grades and stated, "classes are useless".  Which is a pretty dumb thing to say if you ask me, considering how many people, black, white, or otherwise, would kill for a full ride to college.

Oh grow up.

15 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Oh grow up.

OK sorry. I was just saying it's not a race issue. I think manziel and Ryan leaf are pretty dumb.  Lots of guys get compared to them too when the topic veers toward character issues. White or black isn't really the issue when dealing with professional sports nowadays. Just my opinion. Sorry if it seemed immature in some way. 

Edit spellcheck

I'm tired of people labeling every black quarterback dumb.

russell Wilson is not dumb, nor is cam newton, or tyrod Taylor, judging from jamies winstons first season and how teammates said how he was always the first one in the film room taking notes and preparing shows he's not a idiot either.

Besides Goff, Wentz and Lynch, I would not want to take any of these QBs before the 3rd day of the draft. If the team feels compelled on having yet another developmental QB, why not Jones? At least he has some elite traits (size, arm strength) for the position. 

Archived