RV Show at PNC

Maxman

28 minutes ago, NJ said:

Much sooner than later bro - this is what I'll be laying my head every year at a park in the Scottsdale area Dec - Mar 

http://www.granddesignrv.com/solitude379-floor.php

That is great, enjoy it. Did you just get it?

I hope to buy a Class A or Class C someday. Thought I was close but then college tuition seemed to get in the way lol.

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Anyone go? I am going on Sunday. Wish I was buying something, but will just be browsing. :)

This is weird, I was just browsing these yesterday lol no property taxes, no mowing the lawn :)

4 hours ago, BP said:

This is weird, I was just browsing these yesterday lol no property taxes, no mowing the lawn :)

Well if I buy one eventually it wouldn't be a full time live in it kind of scenario. That would be pretty wild though.

6 hours ago, BP said:

And you can park in nice gated communities with blow away amenities - for about 1300 a month, Jimmy  - utilities included. Only looking to live in it about 3-4 months a year.  

23 hours ago, Maxman said:

That is great, enjoy it. Did you just get it?

I hope to buy a Class A or Class C someday. Thought I was close but then college tuition seemed to get in the way lol.

Didn't buy yet bro - maybe this fall but more likely fall of 2017. it will cost a bit to get it back and forth to Az every year - but I think it'll be better than owning a place out there as I'll only be out there for the winter. Love Chicago when its warm and Az is no place to be June - September - the friken streets melt.

There's some deluxe, gated, facilities to stay at too. Very non trailer park-ish.      

7 hours ago, BP said:

@NJ Can you tow that with a dual rear wheel pickup?

Yep - don't even think you need the dual wheel bro. Not sure of that but don't care as I'll get whatever it takes.

I like it over a Class A because:

a.)The extra area that fits up into the bed of the pick-up is the family/entertainment room part of the trailer where the drivers area is wasted space in a Class A.

b.)You've got a vehicle with you instead of towing one behind - it is likely a 10 MPG vehicle but you're already towing enough with the trailer in my opinion

1 hour ago, NJ said:

Yep - don't even think you need the dual wheel bro. Not sure of that but don't care as I'll get whatever it takes.

I like it over a Class A because:

a.)The extra area that fits up into the bed of the pick-up is the family/entertainment room part of the trailer where the drivers area is wasted space in a Class A.

b.)You've got a vehicle with you instead of towing one behind - it is likely a 10 MPG vehicle but you're already towing enough with the trailer in my opinion

My needs (wants) lol are totally different. You are looking for something to stay in one place. So the 5th wheel makes a lot of sense.

I want to travel to different places and to Metlife 10 times a year. Along with a few other road trips. Class A would be great, but when the $ becomes a reality for me it will probably be a Class C. :)

And @BP you aren't invited. Ever.

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

My needs (wants) lol are totally different. You are looking for something to stay in one place. So the 5th wheel makes a lot of sense.

I want to travel to different places and to Metlife 10 times a year. Along with a few other road trips. Class A would be great, but when the $ becomes a reality for me it will probably be a Class C. :)

And @BP you aren't invited. Ever.

Cool bro! I'm glad we're on the same page and the feeling is mutual. The only problem is that all the cool kids like hanging out with BP :) 

maybe you can have some sponsors pay for your rv, like Fanta. Have a big gigantic orange rv with Fanta soda taps on the outside lol mmmmmmm Fanta 

1 hour ago, BP said:

Cool bro! I'm glad we're on the same page and the feeling is mutual. The only problem is that all the cool kids like hanging out with BP :) 

maybe you can have some sponsors pay for your rv, like Fanta. Have a big gigantic orange rv with Fanta soda taps on the outside lol mmmmmmm Fanta 

Anyone remember when BP used to post here? :)

I was looking into RVs for the future, sort of as a substitute for hotels if and when traveling around becomes a financial possibility.  Are there any 4X4 RVs that are good, that won't cost me the mortgage?  I know Earth Roamer has a good one, but it costs near $400K.  I want to mainly just do roadtrips (definitely want to drive to Alaska- and possibly drive across the Canadian Rockies) but I'm not looking for something that is super luxurious with 5 flat screen TVs.  A shower, a fridge, a little kitchen would do, but I feel like these Class C ones are the right size but aren't really capable of driving over harsh conditions.  Are there any companies besides Earth Roamer that does this?

RVs are like boats - buy used. save a ton. A 5 year old rv is almost new but half the price

or, spend minimal and find yourself a nice late 90's model for 6-8k. You would be amazed at how clean they can be. Thats what i do. Had a 1989 chieftain class A 35 footer a few years ago. Now I have a 95 class C. Paid 1800 bucks for it lol. Everything works great and it runs drive like new with 65k miles. Had her for 2 years, added new tires and I wouldn't hesitate taking it right now to alaska. Already have 6 trips on her that were 500 miles rt each. Love it and its paid

If you got 10k, Ive seen early 2000's with 30k miles that look almost new.

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

RVs are like boats - buy used. save a ton. A 5 year old rv is almost new but half the price

or, spend minimal and find yourself a nice late 90's model for 6-8k. You would be amazed at how clean they can be. Thats what i do. Had a 1989 chieftain class A 35 footer a few years ago. Now I have a 95 class C. Paid 1800 bucks for it lol. Everything works great and it runs drive like new with 65k miles. Had her for 2 years, added new tires and I wouldn't hesitate taking it right now to alaska. Already have 6 trips on her that were 500 miles rt each. Love it and its paid

If you got 10k, Ive seen early 2000's with 30k miles that look almost new.

I agree on used. I have seen some really good deals in the 40k range.

On 4/25/2016 at 10:51 PM, Maxman said:

Saw a model that I have never seen before. Thor Axis.

https://thormotorcoach.com/axis/floorplans/

Smaller but they are pretty damn nice.

I really want an RV at some point, for TailgateJoe and then to escape south for a few months. Those Thor Rvs seem pretty nice, they look like a good mid level value. I really like their toy haulers that have the garages at the back. They have  class C and A with that. One game a year some liquor company throws a party in the lot next to us and that is a Thor Outlaw class a toy hauler rv he has.

9 hours ago, joebabyny said:

I really want an RV at some point, for TailgateJoe and then to escape south for a few months. Those Thor Rvs seem pretty nice, they look like a good mid level value. I really like their toy haulers that have the garages at the back. They have  class C and A with that. One game a year some liquor company throws a party in the lot next to us and that is a Thor Outlaw class a toy hauler rv he has.

These Thor Axis are a bit of a game changer. You can get a 27 foot (or so) RV that has the same floor space as a 31\32 foot. Because it gives you Class C functionality without Class C overhead, the bed slides down. So when you are driving you don't have to step down like a normal class C. That means when you are parked you can turn the driver seat and passengers around. They become functional space. They are priced to sell also, the only problem is they don't have a huge secondary market. I like the thought of getting one post depreciation. 

I am definitely doing this some day. Wanted to do it this year but grammar school, high school and college tuition seems to be in the way right now lol.

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

These Thor Axis are a bit of a game changer. You can get a 27 foot (or so) RV that has the same floor space as a 31\32 foot. Because it gives you Class C functionality without Class C overhead, the bed slides down. So when you are driving you don't have to step down like a normal class C. That means when you are parked you can turn the driver seat and passengers around. They become functional space. They are priced to sell also, the only problem is they don't have a huge secondary market. I like the thought of getting one post depreciation. 

I am definitely doing this some day. Wanted to do it this year but grammar school, high school and college tuition seems to be in the way right now lol.

They look pretty cool, kinda like shrunken class a rvs. RVTRADER does have some lightly used ones in the low to mid 60s. One of those would look badass with a JN wrap. That front end really could be made to look like a big jets helmet with a good wrap job. It would make a great gameday JN promotional vehicle.

There are some interesting tax writeoffswith an Rv. The first is the interest on the loan can be deducted as the irs will classify it as a second home. There may also be deductions for vehicle registration and a portion of the sales tax paid on the vehicle. And speaking to JN, using it as a "gameday promotional vehicle" and you attending games as part of your business dealings running a jets fansite, used to entertain clients and possible business associates, then it gets business expense deductions. Something you may want to look into.

40 minutes ago, joebabyny said:

They look pretty cool, kinda like shrunken class a rvs. RVTRADER does have some lightly used ones in the low to mid 60s. One of those would look badass with a JN wrap. That front end really could be made to look like a big jets helmet with a good wrap job. It would make a great gameday JN promotional vehicle.

There are some interesting tax writeoffswith an Rv. The first is the interest on the loan can be deducted as the irs will classify it as a second home. There may also be deductions for vehicle registration and a portion of the sales tax paid on the vehicle. And speaking to JN, using it as a "gameday promotional vehicle" and you attending games as part of your business dealings running a jets fansite, used to entertain clients and possible business associates, then it gets business expense deductions. Something you may want to look into.

Yes yes and yes.

As soon as one of my kids fail out of college im all over this lol.

• 2 months later...

Archived