Draft Week; Lynchtime

Paradis

Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to land Lynch?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to land Lynch?

• Yes - trade picks, Mo, whatever... just get us the franchise QB
    • No - I'd rather continue trying to strike gold in the mid-rounds

I realize this topic has been pounded like a brothel in port-town (on wing night), but the Lynch sweepstakes officially kick off tomorrow morning,  and I can't stress how many times i've pointed to this (and other similar qualities) about this dude...

Paxton Lynch - QB - Tigers

Pro Football Focus noted that when under pressure, Memphis QB Paxton Lynch has a 70.3% accuracy percentage.

Compare that 70.3% mark to the ones posted by Carson Wentz and Jared Goff under pressure and Lynch is far and away the most impressive. Wentz logged an accuracy percentage of just 54.7%, while Goff split the middle between Wentz and Lynch with an accuracy percentage of 64.7%. Goff and Wentz are expected to be selected at No.'s 1 and 2 in one order or another. Lynch, meanwhile, could draw consideration as a top-10 pick once the other two gunslingers are off the board.

Despite beating those other two guys in virtually every meaningful category, you people still are "wary" of drafting the guy with:

-the least turnovers
-better completion %
-better under pressure
-better athlete
-better arm talent
-better decision maker
-better size and strength
-better improvement during college
-better fit for our offense

...but that internet man....it says he's so raw... he's just... i mean....he's so raw.

Pax4.gif

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Yes or no... are you on board or not... no fish please. can't flip flop about "only under these conditions"... you're either in or you're out. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paxton Lynch - QB - Player

Memphis QB Paxton Lynch had a higher completion percentage under pressure than both Jared Goff and Carson Wentz last season.

According to PFF, Lynch also had the highest grade in the nation on designed rollouts. Lynch offers an intriguing skill set and is listed at a massive 6'7/244. The Browns and Jets are two teams that could be interested, though taking Lynch at No. 8 overall might be a reach for Cleveland. Lynch's draft stock is rising thanks to recent trades by the Rams and Eagles at Nos. 1 and 2 overall.

51 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I realize this topic has been pounded like a brothel in port-town (on wing night), but the Lynch sweepstakes officially kick off tomorrow morning,  and I can't stress how many times i've pointed to this (and other similar qualities) about this dude...

Despite beating those other two guys in virtually every meaningful category, you people still are "wary" of drafting the guy with:

-the least turnovers
-better completion %
-better under pressure
-better athlete
-better arm talent
-better decision maker

...but that internet man....it says he's so raw... he's just... i mean....he's so raw.

Pax4.gif

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Yes or no... are you on board or not... no fish please. can't flip flop about "only under these conditions"... you're either in or you're out. 

I personally would love it if they drafted him and I support moving up to get him. But I voted not because the way this is worded:

Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to land Lynch?

• Yes - trade picks, Mo, whatever... just get us the franchise QB

I am not giving up Mo and next years first rounder to get him. So we will see how the draft board plays out.

NO

If Lynch falls to the Jets, and Macc thinks "he's the guy"  I'll trust him, for now.  I honestly don't see anything really special in any of the QB's in this draft.

IMO the potential of the guys later in the draft isn't that far off the guys in the first round.  They all have warts.  

I know everyone is going to go crazy if it happens, but I wouldn't be stunned if Lynch falls to the Jets if Macc trades back, and takes another QB later.  Not predicting it, just wouldn't be stunned 

14 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Could we have a middle option - make a reasonable trade, but don't give up the farm?? I'd be on board with that, but the two options above are a bit extreme.

That is exactly where I stand as well.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

NO

If Lynch falls to the Jets, and Macc thinks "he's the guy"  I'll.  I honestly don't see anything really special in any of the QB's in this draft.

IMO the potential of the guys later in the draft isn't that far off the guys in the first round.  They all have warts.  

I know everyone is going to go crazy if it happens, but I wouldn't be stunned if Lynch falls to the Jets if Macc trades back, and takes another QB later.  Not predicting it, just wouldn't be stunned 

I would be surprised by that.

The biggest knock on Lynch is that he was in a gimmicky offense.  Does everyone realize that Goff took 99% of his snaps from the shotgun?  Lynch has a much stronger arm and his mobility is in a different league.  Wentz may have taken a few more snaps from center, but has very limited experience, very weak competition, and a history of injuries.

then there is the rumored wonderlic score.  The last time we passed on a QB because our "system" was too complicated was Dan Marino, who scored lower on the wonderlic than Lynch.  Walton felt his offense was too complicated.  Why not ask yourself, maybe we could "dummy" it down a tad?

lynch is more prepared to start than Wentz.  Higher ceiling than Goff.  So it's an argument for teams to give up several drafts for Goff and Wentz but Lynch is a reach at 20?

any of these guys goes to Cle, they will bust.  So it's not as easy as comparing careers.  LA has an elite RB and a devastating defense so all he needs to be is 2009 Sanchez, and they have a chance.  Philly has a ton of holes but they have two legitimate QBs in front of the #2 so Wentz can probably sit for two years.  If the Jets were able to, sit Lynch, start Fitz this year, and have a competition for 2017.

6 picks as we stand now..... trade up and lose picks.....no

Trade MO for a higher 1st and keep #20.... yes.

Hope he's there at #20 most definitely

If we miss on Lynch, I'd take a QB in rd. 3 or below

My point - and for this thread - is that "miss" on him isn't an option. Either all in or not

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

-the least turnovers
-better completion %
-better under pressure
-better athlete
-better arm talent
-better decision maker

Pax4.gif

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I'll be honest, the only thing I don't like about him is the fact that you like him. It's like when bitonti loves a D-line prospect: stay the hell away. 

Paradis....Do you take Amex?:lol:    I'm in. I know the Eagles have publicly said they will take either Wentz or Goff, bit I'm not sold. I just have a hard time believing that they have the same grade on both those players, and will be happy with either one.It doesn't make sense to me that you would give up so much and not know who you are getting. I think they did it for your boy Lynch. 

everything I've read he is 2-3 years away from starting, and 1 throw doesn't change that

he will get over drafted, I just hope to hell the jets don't trade up for him

since your two options are so limited, I'll say pass

I'm starting to like this brisset kid in the 2nd, he will need time as well but won't have the pressure to start as a rookie being a 2nd rounder

I'll never get pinned down by a blanket statement.  I'd like lynch at 20 i might even trade up a bit to get him but I don't go far.  If the price is too steep you walk away and try again next year after drafting a guy  this year.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

The biggest knock on Lynch is that he was in a gimmicky offense.  Does everyone realize that Goff took 99% of his snaps from the shotgun?  Lynch has a much stronger arm and his mobility is in a different league.  Wentz may have taken a few more snaps from center, but has very limited experience, very weak competition, and a history of injuries.

then there is the rumored wonderlic score.  The last time we passed on a QB because our "system" was too complicated was Dan Marino, who scored lower on the wonderlic than Lynch.  Walton felt his offense was too complicated.  Why not ask yourself, maybe we could "dummy" it down a tad?

lynch is more prepared to start than Wentz.  Higher ceiling than Goff.  So it's an argument for teams to give up several drafts for Goff and Wentz but Lynch is a reach at 20?

any of these guys goes to Cle, they will bust.  So it's not as easy as comparing careers.  LA has an elite RB and a devastating defense so all he needs to be is 2009 Sanchez, and they have a chance.  Philly has a ton of holes but they have two legitimate QBs in front of the #2 so Wentz can probably sit for two years.  If the Jets were able to, sit Lynch, start Fitz this year, and have a competition for 2017.

The wonderlic score concerns me. This isn't 1983. Players know they're being scrutinized, and they can prepare with sample wonderlic questions. It isn't rocket surgery. The low score means either he didn't care to prepare, or he did prepare and that's the best he could do. 

I wont fault them if they take him at #20. The kid has physical gifts. If they give up a lot to move up, though, I don't know. 

I am really hoping to land lynch. I think he's quite attainable without giving up the farm.

Mac is going to take a QB this draft and his career is going to depend on it. I hope he's smart enough not to base his career on a guy like Hackenberg. Take Lynch and develop him the proper way. Lets hope Mac gets this done. 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Simms:

"I think he's extremely talented," Simms said. "I think he has borderline-superstar qualities. His arm -- it's a good motion. One thing I always say about quarterbacks, if you've got a good motion, you can see they're natural throwers, they can get better in the NFL. In other words, he can improve his quality of throwing. I've seen it with many, many guys. Ben Roethlisberger, I saw it with Aaron Rodgers, I see it with Tony Romo. Tom Brady this past year maybe threw the football better than he's ever thrown it in his career physically."

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Simms:

"I think he's extremely talented," Simms said. "I think he has borderline-superstar qualities. His arm -- it's a good motion. One thing I always say about quarterbacks, if you've got a good motion, you can see they're natural throwers, they can get better in the NFL. In other words, he can improve his quality of throwing. I've seen it with many, many guys. Ben Roethlisberger, I saw it with Aaron Rodgers, I see it with Tony Romo. Tom Brady this past year maybe threw the football better than he's ever thrown it in his career physically."

Simms loved Tannehill btw

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I'll be honest, the only thing I don't like about him is the fact that you like him. It's like when bitonti loves a D-line prospect: stay the hell away. 

I'm genuinely offended that you would house me with the guy who thought Dez Bryant was "meh"... 

Look you may not want to sleep with my girl, but you can't call out the quality. They're always grade A... I generally fall in love with winners, so the record states. 

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Option 3.  DO NOT DRAFT. I think Lynch plays like a coward with happy feet, afraid of getting hit.   His little spiked hairdo and flavor saver facial hair thing are just so hipster though...

He's a spread Qb who locks on his first read.  Watch his college highlights his best plays were design plays with the first read open or wide open.  Once defenses adjusted for the gimmicky playbook it was over

He's a spread Qb who locks on his first read.  Watch his college highlights his best plays were design plays with the first read open or wide open.  Once defenses adjusted for the gimmicky playbook it was over

That's a load sh*t and completely inaccurate.

It's kind of like when you made fun of his Proday performance, BEFORE he had a proday.

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Most overblown criticism ever. QBs, even elite ones, lock onto to their first read ALL of the time. Fitz did it almost exclusively last year. Single read/dumpoff. Rinse/repeat. Even Aaron Rodgers has stated he rarely goes to a third read on most plays.  Seems like there is this group think that QBs have to be looking somewhere else on every play and that at the last second go back to the read when the reaiity is that there is rarely time to go through several reads during the actual play. What separates the elites, is that they know which read will likely be open before the snap so locking in on them does not lead to a lot of interceptions.

Archived