Myles Jack Sliding?

KRL

Is this a smokescreen or could he actually fall to us at #20:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000656081/article/myles-jack-vulnerable-to-draft-slide-due-to-concerns-about-knee

Former UCLA linebacker Myles Jack, once thought to be a lock to go inside the top five picks of the 2016 NFL Draft, is vulnerable to a draft-day fall thanks to medical reports on his surgically repaired right knee.

The repair of the lateral meniscus that tore off the bone when he suffered the injury in September is not the issue, according to several sources with direct knowledge of Jack's situation. Instead, the cartilage and bone have begun to separate, creating what is referred to by medical professionals as an osteochondral defect.

If or when the bone and cartilage fully separate, Jack will need to undergo another procedure and it will keep him out for a prolonged period of time. One possibility is microfracture surgery, though there are other options that teams have discussed.

Accordingly, teams that draft in the teens are now playing out scenarios in which Jack falls to them and they're considering the difficult question of "What will we do?"

There is confidence that a team in the mid-to-late teens will serve as a draft floor for Jack, so a fall out of the first round is unlikely. Jack believes this, and several sources believe the same.

But Jack's question marks could very well create a tumble out of the top 10.

Jack didn't run a 40-yard dash at his pro day on March 15, which led teams to begin digging into his medical evaluation. After NFL Scouting Combinerechecks earlier this month, the questions intensified. His agent, John Thornton, recently posted on Twitter a video of Jack working out, one where he looks healthy.

But as one GM told me: "It's not about if he's healthy now. It's about if he gets through his second contract."

Another top evaluator asked this question: "Is he a four-year player or a 10-year player? But technology is better now. So we really don't know."

No one questions what kind of player Jack is -- he's a rare talent. Teams are still trying to figure out how long he'll be that type of player.

2nd contract stuff is irrelevant.   Does anyone think teams in the top 10 of a "do-over" draft would pass on Bo Jackson?  How about Terrell Davis in the top 10 if they knew what he would become? How about Shawne Merriman?  All three only played basically 4 years... 

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

2nd contract stuff is irrelevant.   Does anyone think teams in the top 10 of a "do-over" draft would pass on Bo Jackson?  How about Terrell Davis in the top 10 if they knew what he would become? How about Shawne Merriman?  All three only played basically 4 years... 

How about jadaveon clowney?

7 minutes ago, cant wait said:

How about jadaveon clowney?

Apples to oranges.  Clowney's passion for the game was publicly questioned by many.  NOBODY questions Jack's work ethic and desire, which is what it takes to rehab from injury.

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Apples to oranges.  Clowney's passion for the game was publicly questioned by many.  NOBODY questions Jack's work ethic and desire, which is what it takes to rehab from injury.

Clowney's "passion" is not the issue, the microfracture surgery on his knees is. Injured players tend to stay injured, especially ones that rely on their athleticism 

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Im not taking a player with my 1st who I dont know when or if he'll play for my team.

100% agree. I think you need to hit as close to a sure thing as you can in Round 1.  The only gamble I would take there is if I saw the makings of a franchise QB...

36 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Microfracture is bad.  Once you get that, you're a shell of yourself.  Clowney will NEVER come close to living up to expectations because of that injury.

Daquan bowers was another highly regarded prospect who never was able to make it because of the knee issues, it was a similar situation to jack if I remember correctly. These super athletic pass rushers are so big and fast that the knees are under so much pressure... Maybe it's possible that jack drops some weight and transitions to safety in the NFL, he's kind of a tweener anyway and it might be less strenuous on the knee and could help prolong his career. Still wouldn't take him before the 3rd though if the reports are accurate

I'd take him as well, when you are picking at 20, you have to take some risks for elite talent and just hope it works out.   If I remember correctly, Rob Gronkowski dropped because of medical red flags as well.  Yeah, there are guys that didn't pan out, but at 20, it's worth the risk because he's the exact type of guy we need on defense.   

11 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I'd take him as well, when you are picking at 20, you have to take some risks for elite talent and just hope it works out.   If I remember correctly, Rob Gronkowski dropped because of medical red flags as well.  Yeah, there are guys that didn't pan out, but at 20, it's worth the risk because he's the exact type of guy we need on defense.   

If he is sitting there at 11 I'm calling the Bears, and doing whatever it takes with in reason to go up, and get him.

15 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If he is sitting there at 11 I'm calling the Bears, and doing whatever it takes with in reason to go up, and get him.

Hypothetical:  Jack in the first or Jaylon in the 2nd.  Which would you pick?  Knowing those are your only choices, instead of say Jaylon in the 3rd.  

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

Hypothetical:  Jack in the first or Jaylon in the 2nd.  Which would you pick?  Knowing those are your only choices, instead of say Jaylon in the 3rd.  

Jack and it's not even close, say Jacks medicals are worst case scenario it hasn't happened yet, and he can play tommorow, where as Jaylon may never play again worst case scenario. 

9 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Microfracture surgery?! Hell no. Pass.

Eventually he might need microfracture Surgery.( big difference)    Medical science is amazing today,  as they keep perfecting techniques to deal better with these type of injuries.

See Acl injuries which at one time as serious as microfracture surgery.( those things aren't as big a deal anymore) .    There are a lot of players that have had Microfracture surgery and have come back from that injury.( more they perfect this technique the better chance down the road this injury isn't as serious).

Eventually he might need microfracture Surgery.( big difference)    Medical science is amazing today,  as they keep perfecting techniques to deal better with these type of injuries.

See Acl injuries which at one time as serious as microfracture surgery.( those things aren't as big a deal anymore) .    There are a lot of players that have had Microfracture surgery and have come back from that injury.( more they perfect this technique the better chance down the road this injury isn't as serious).

Im from Portland and a huge Blazers fan. So you might find me a little bit skeptical!

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

So he could drop to the Raiders.( last team he worked out for) . .  Seriously Carl which player is going to be drafted first Myles Jack,  or Jaylon Smith? 

Jack. I didn't say he wouldn't. If both guys are 100% healthy, though, it's not a question of who is the better player.

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

Im from Portland and a huge Blazers fan. So you might find me a little bit skeptical!

Early part of a severe injury that doctors aren't use to see, are hard to deal with. ( doctors haven't perfected the technique) . Players even today are coming back from microfracture surgery( only going to improve with more time ). Like Tommy John surgery use to be career threaten injury to Pitchers.

For example the injury to Bo Jackson that ended his career isn't as big a deal today. The doctors never saw that type of injury before , and didn't know how to treat it -till it was too late.

25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Jack. I didn't say he wouldn't. If both guys are 100% healthy, though, it's not a question of who is the better player.

One player might never be 100% ever again.  That plays into a Gm mindset when he's making that determination if he should draft a player.( roll the dice).

Archived