Jets need to draft....Connor Cook

CurtisMartin17

I know everyone wouldn't be on board with this but hear me out. I never really found Paxton Lynch that good of a quarterback, its just the "draft experts" pushing him up the board. No way is it worth trading up for Lynch. Before last year's draft I read an article where someone compared Connor Cook to a young Peyton Manning. Ever since then I've been on the Cook bandwagon. Jets can't wait till the second round because the Broncos will most likely definitely take him at the end of the 1st. Take Cook at 20 or trade back to 25 max, any lower & someone (like the browns if they don't take lynch) will leapfrog us for Cook. We can address OLB in the second round by either taking Noah Spence if he slides or take the forgotten about Kamalei Correa. Just feel like Cook is more ready then Paxton Lynch will ever be, no matter how long he develops. Not to mention, Jaws & Gruden consider Cook either top QB or top 3 this year. Any chance of this happening. I think Bowles/MacCagnan liked Cook last year before he decided to stay in College 1 more year. BTW all the talk about leadership is bullsh*t in my opinion. Cook isn't anything like Geno smith

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, CurtisMartin17 said:

I know everyone wouldn't be on board with this but hear me out. I never really found Paxton Lynch that good of a quarterback, its just the "draft experts" pushing him up the board. No way is it worth trading up for Lynch. Before last year's draft I read an article where someone compared Connor Cook to a young Peyton Manning. Ever since then I've been on the Cook bandwagon. Jets can't wait till the second round because the Broncos will most likely definitely take him at the end of the 1st. Take Cook at 20 or trade back to 25 max, any lower & someone (like the browns if they don't take lynch) will leapfrog us for Cook. We can address OLB in the second round by either taking Noah Spence if he slides or take the forgotten about Kamalei Correa. Just feel like Cook is more ready then Paxton Lynch will ever be, no matter how long he develops. Not to mention, Jaws & Gruden consider Cook either top QB or top 3 this year. Any chance of this happening. I think Bowles/MacCagnan liked Cook last year before he decided to stay in College 1 more year. BTW all the talk about leadership is bullsh*t in my opinion. Cook isn't anything like Geno smith

How do you know Mccagnan & Bowles liked him last year? They were still moving into their desks by the declaration date. 

31 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

He doesn't fit the Jets system, he is way to inaccurate.  And came up small in the biggest game of his life.

How's Fitz accuracy? Does that fit the Jets 'system'? 

Perhaps some of these inaccuratacy concerns are correctable via footwork, coaching. 

Didnt peyton manning come up small in a few of his big games?

He's still a kid

To me for 2016 we have to give the reps in training camp and practice and exhibition game time to Geno and Petty. We don't have room for another serious candidate if we want to fully evaluate these two players. The assumption being we'll sign Fitz or another vet like Hoyer. And  sign a UFA as 4th Qb in training camp. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Perhaps some of these inaccuratacy concerns are correctable via footwork, coaching. 

He's still a kid

Fitz sucks balls, so does C Cook.

Honestly, EVERY SINGLE Draft has a Connor Cook, Bryce Petty, Paxton Lynch, Garret Grayson, AJ Maccaron etc. Aren't they really all the same! Not one of them is a can't miss prospect. They are all Jags and there's a handfull each and every year.

Unless the Jets absolutely feel that a prospect this year is a bona fide future star then it's a waste of a pick. Especially in the first two rounds. They already have Geno and Petty. Do you thin anyone of the above are going to be THAT much better then Geno/Petty? I think the QB stuff is all a smokescreen. Jets are planning on Fitzy this year and they hope that Petty can push for the job next year.

4 minutes ago, #bman said:

Honestly, EVERY SINGLE Draft has a Connor Cook, Bryce Petty, Paxton Lynch, Garret Grayson, AJ Maccaron etc. Aren't they really all the same! Not one of them is a cant miss prospect. They are all Jags and theirs a handfull each and every year.

Unless the Jets absolutely feel that a prospect this year is a bona fide future star then it's a waste of a pick. Especially in the first two rounds. They already have Geno and Petty. Do you thin anyone of the above are going to be THAT much better then Geno/Petty? I think the QB stuff is all a smokescreen. Jets are planning on Fitzy this year and they hope that Petty can push for the job next year.

Until you get the QB you have to keep trying. Otherwise you continue to spin your wheels. We all know Fitz isn't the long-term answer. 

Was the talk of Mccagnan inquiring what it would take to get to #1 a smokescreen? 

Mccagnan wants to get a QB high. Will he, at what cost & whom is the question. 

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

So then how do we know what's the Jets "system" is if all we have seen under Gailey has been Fitz

Good thorough scouting report on Cook. 

Connor Cooks scouting report is he is an inaccurate, Ahole, with not much passion, or leadership skills.  Right, or wrong that's the reports.

I base my thinking on Cook as sucking because he got worse with accuracy, and he played behind one of the best Olines in College, and a top running game, if you can'tcomplete over 60% with all that you suck balls.

My prediction is that Connor Cook will get picked before the Jets current pick in the second round.  

I will get a substantial amount of playing time in the NFL.

His sister will get alot of press.

Other than that, it all depends on the team, coaching, and whether he takes the criticism from his pre-draft scrutiny to heart.

11 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I'd prefer Hackenberg. 

I'm starting to get the feel the Jets will go all in on Hackenberg in the 2nd round, whether it's trade WilK for a 2nd, move up, or stay put and take him if they feel he will be there.

I have nothing against Cook but to me this constant search for a franchise Qb is a losing proposition. We need players at other positions not just Qb. 2016 isn't the year for us to draft a Qb and historically we've drafted plenty of Qbs. We only have six draft picks and unless someone Mac likes falls dramatically (I'd personally take Vernon Adams if he falls to the 4th round) we need depth in the trenches.

I just don't see Connor Cooks at 20.  At 51 I would consider him.  To sum my reasoning up here's one of the reasons he might be there at 51.

Jared Goff heads combine risers; Noah Spence, Connor Cook fall

In the wake of the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine, former NFL player and scout Bucky Brooks spotlights 10 particular prospects who made big impressions, for better or worse, in Indianapolis:

Winners

Jared Goff, QB, Cal: The ultra-polished pocket passer clearly distinguished himself as the most pro-ready quarterback in the draft with a strong performance at the combine. Goff not only impressed evaluators with his flawless footwork and fundamentals, but he displayed outstanding zip and velocity on his short and intermediate throws. In addition, he threw the ball with great anticipation and timing, which is hard to do with random receivers. With the Cal standout also shining in chalk-talk sessions throughout the week, Goff is the undisputed top player at the position -- at least in my mind.

Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame: The lack of speed in the 2016 receiver class makes Fuller one of the crown jewels at the position. He clocked a 4.32-second 40-yard dash and flashed excellent acceleration tracking down deep balls along the boundary. While those traits were expected from the Notre Dame star, the sticky hands and consistent pass catching throughout the workout could send Fuller's stock soaring as draft day approaches. If he continues to catch the ball well in drills at his pro day and other private workouts, Fuller could sneak into the top 20 as the premier deep threat in the draft class.

Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana: Spriggs is squarely in the first-round conversation following an excellent workout in Indy. He confirmed his athleticism with a 4.94 40 and a dazzling display of ballerina-like footwork in position drills. Springs showed exceptional balance, body control and agility executing lateral slides and kick-step maneuvers. Most importantly, he appeared light on his feet when instructed to flip and turn in agility drills. With ultra-athletic offensive tackles always coveted at a premium, Spriggs' solid performances at the NFL Scouting Combine and the Senior Bowl have raised his status in a major way.

Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State: Ogbah wasn't hailed as one of the top pass rushers in the draft prior to the combine, despite an impressive résumé that featured 24 sacks over the past two seasons. But his name is flying up boards after a dazzling display in Lucas Oil Stadium that showcased his combination of size, strength, speed and explosiveness on the turf. Ogbah posted a 4.63-second 40 time, as well as remarkable measurements in the vertical jump (35.5 inches) and broad jump (10-1). Although he is strictly a straight-line power rusher off the edge, Ogbah's athleticism, force and production will make it hard for coaches and scouts to ignore his potential as a top prospect.

William Jackson III, CB, Houston: Long, rangy cover corners with speed and ball skills are valued commodities on draft day. Thus, Jackson could become one of the draft's biggest risers following a spectacular performance that shocked many in the scouting community. The Houston standout blazed a 4.37 40 and showed terrific quickness as he crushed the position drills. Jackson's combination of fluid movement skills, sticky hands and physical dimensions (6-foot, 185 pounds) makes him the big specimen most teams seek as a potential CB1.

Losers

Noah Spence, DE/OLB, Eastern Kentucky: Scouts are having a hard time dubbing Spence a premier pass rusher after witnessing his so-so performance on the turf in Indianapolis. He recorded a pedestrian 40 (4.80) that pales in comparison to the times clocked by a few elite pass rushers with similar physical attributes: Von Miller (4.53) and Khalil Mack (4.65). In addition, he didn't appear to flash the same first-step quickness and burst in bag drills that allowed him to dominate opponents at theSenior Bowl. Although Spence's final evaluation will be based primarily off the game-tape evaluation, the fact that he failed to impress as an athlete will make it hard for some teams to consider him an elite prospect on draft day.

Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State: Cook failed to seize the opportunity to separate himself from the pack of second-tier quarterbacks vying for the No. 3 position on draft boards around the league. The winningest quarterback in Michigan State history struggled with his accuracy and ball placement in drills. He repeatedly missed the mark on throws at short and intermediate range, which confirmed scouts' concerns about his accuracy based on his sub-standard college completion percentage (57.5). With questions about his leadership skills and intangibles still hovering like a black cloud, Cook's lackluster workout failed to boost his stock as a top prospect at the position.

PATH TO THE DRAFT
(Weekdays at 6 p.m. ET on NFL Network)
0ap2000000333347.jpg

"Path to the Draft" previews the 2016 NFL Draft by providing in-depth expert analysis of the top prospects and each teams' needs.

Vadal Alexander, OL, LSU: Alexander was considered a strong top-40 prospect prior to his poor performance last Friday. The LSU product lumbered down the track on his 40-yard dash (5.57) and looked heavy-legged in position drills. He simply lacks the lateral quickness and agility to play offensive tackle, which plummets his stock as a potential swing player at the next level.

Darian Thompson, S, Boise State: After trending favorably following a solid week of workouts at theSenior Bowl, Thompson will see his stock head in the opposite direction after his disappointing performance at Lucas Oil Stadium. Coaches and scouts will not only have a tough time ignoring the 4.69 40 time for a potential center-field candidate, but they will struggle believing Thompson has enough quickness or range to serve as an over-the-top defender in a single-high defense. Although Thompson's 17 career interceptions suggest otherwise, the Boise State product will need to run a faster time at his pro day to prove to scouts that he is speedy enough to be a front-line starter at the next level.

Harlan Miller, CB, Southeastern Louisiana: The feisty corner widely had been considered one of the sleepers of the draft class, due to his solid cover skills and spectacular footwork, but a sluggish 40 time (4.65) will make it harder for scouts to sell him as a Day 2 pick. Coaches are reluctant to take chances on corners without solid speed and quickness on the perimeter. Thus, Miller will need to post a faster time at his pro day to change the perception surrounding his potential following the underwhelming workout.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.

AS Brooks pointed out, he reinforced the accuracy issues he had in college at the Combine.  For now, I'll go with what ever Macc decides...................For now

40 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He's still a kid

Great point.  I think Cook and also Hackenberg will both be good quarterbacks in the NFL.   Folks are nit picking way too much.  

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I have nothing against Cook but to me this constant search for a franchise Qb is a losing proposition. We need players at other positions not just Qb. 2016 isn't the year for us to draft a Qb and historically we've drafted plenty of Qbs. We only have six draft picks and unless someone Mac likes falls dramatically (I'd personally take Vernon Adams if he falls to the 4th round) we need depth in the trenches.

As we have seen from recent articles, the Jets have drafted miserably over the past 5 years.  That includes at QB, and that is a deep hole to get out of.  

Are your odds better at finding a QB higher in the first round?  Yes, but they need to try in the second or third round until the find someone.  A QB like that will take 2-3 years to develop, so they need to invest now for the future.

Hopefully Petty and whomever they draft this year will work out.  But until they find a QB, picks that could go to other positions will need to be used there.

Depressing, but reality.

My only concern with drafting a project QB is what does that mean for Bryce Petty?  Who gets the reps?  If the Jets dump Geno and make Bryce #2 and Cook, Lynch, Hackenberg or whoever #3 then I'm good with it.

Petty needs the reps.  He still could be the future. We know what GeNO is but Petty is still a ?

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Great point.  I think Cook and also Hackenberg will both be good quarterbacks in the NFL.   Folks are nit picking way too much.  

I'm not nitpicking when I say that Cooks completion percentage was worse than Sanchez's at USC.  That is quite terrible because we know how inaccurate Sanchez was.  Cook wouldn't survive one season as a Jets QB because the media would crucify him and he doesn't appear to have the demeanor to handle it.

and I want to like Hackenburg but he has been so bad the last two years that I find it hard to believe their is an offensive coordinator in the NFL that can guarantee to fix him enough to warrant taking him on the first two days of the draft.

i am to the point that I am not sure I could watch Geno be our starting QB, but I would take Geno over both of them.

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I just don't see Connor Cooks at 20.  At 51 I would consider him.  To sum my reasoning up here's one of the reasons he might be there at 51.

Jared Goff heads combine risers; Noah Spence, Connor Cook fall

In the wake of the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine, former NFL player and scout Bucky Brooks spotlights 10 particular prospects who made big impressions, for better or worse, in Indianapolis:

Winners

Jared Goff, QB, Cal: The ultra-polished pocket passer clearly distinguished himself as the most pro-ready quarterback in the draft with a strong performance at the combine. Goff not only impressed evaluators with his flawless footwork and fundamentals, but he displayed outstanding zip and velocity on his short and intermediate throws. In addition, he threw the ball with great anticipation and timing, which is hard to do with random receivers. With the Cal standout also shining in chalk-talk sessions throughout the week, Goff is the undisputed top player at the position -- at least in my mind.

Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame: The lack of speed in the 2016 receiver class makes Fuller one of the crown jewels at the position. He clocked a 4.32-second 40-yard dash and flashed excellent acceleration tracking down deep balls along the boundary. While those traits were expected from the Notre Dame star, the sticky hands and consistent pass catching throughout the workout could send Fuller's stock soaring as draft day approaches. If he continues to catch the ball well in drills at his pro day and other private workouts, Fuller could sneak into the top 20 as the premier deep threat in the draft class.

Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana: Spriggs is squarely in the first-round conversation following an excellent workout in Indy. He confirmed his athleticism with a 4.94 40 and a dazzling display of ballerina-like footwork in position drills. Springs showed exceptional balance, body control and agility executing lateral slides and kick-step maneuvers. Most importantly, he appeared light on his feet when instructed to flip and turn in agility drills. With ultra-athletic offensive tackles always coveted at a premium, Spriggs' solid performances at the NFL Scouting Combine and the Senior Bowl have raised his status in a major way.

Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State: Ogbah wasn't hailed as one of the top pass rushers in the draft prior to the combine, despite an impressive résumé that featured 24 sacks over the past two seasons. But his name is flying up boards after a dazzling display in Lucas Oil Stadium that showcased his combination of size, strength, speed and explosiveness on the turf. Ogbah posted a 4.63-second 40 time, as well as remarkable measurements in the vertical jump (35.5 inches) and broad jump (10-1). Although he is strictly a straight-line power rusher off the edge, Ogbah's athleticism, force and production will make it hard for coaches and scouts to ignore his potential as a top prospect.

William Jackson III, CB, Houston: Long, rangy cover corners with speed and ball skills are valued commodities on draft day. Thus, Jackson could become one of the draft's biggest risers following a spectacular performance that shocked many in the scouting community. The Houston standout blazed a 4.37 40 and showed terrific quickness as he crushed the position drills. Jackson's combination of fluid movement skills, sticky hands and physical dimensions (6-foot, 185 pounds) makes him the big specimen most teams seek as a potential CB1.

Losers

Noah Spence, DE/OLB, Eastern Kentucky: Scouts are having a hard time dubbing Spence a premier pass rusher after witnessing his so-so performance on the turf in Indianapolis. He recorded a pedestrian 40 (4.80) that pales in comparison to the times clocked by a few elite pass rushers with similar physical attributes: Von Miller (4.53) and Khalil Mack (4.65). In addition, he didn't appear to flash the same first-step quickness and burst in bag drills that allowed him to dominate opponents at theSenior Bowl. Although Spence's final evaluation will be based primarily off the game-tape evaluation, the fact that he failed to impress as an athlete will make it hard for some teams to consider him an elite prospect on draft day.

Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State: Cook failed to seize the opportunity to separate himself from the pack of second-tier quarterbacks vying for the No. 3 position on draft boards around the league. The winningest quarterback in Michigan State history struggled with his accuracy and ball placement in drills. He repeatedly missed the mark on throws at short and intermediate range, which confirmed scouts' concerns about his accuracy based on his sub-standard college completion percentage (57.5). With questions about his leadership skills and intangibles still hovering like a black cloud, Cook's lackluster workout failed to boost his stock as a top prospect at the position.

PATH TO THE DRAFT
(Weekdays at 6 p.m. ET on NFL Network)
0ap2000000333347.jpg

"Path to the Draft" previews the 2016 NFL Draft by providing in-depth expert analysis of the top prospects and each teams' needs.

Vadal Alexander, OL, LSU: Alexander was considered a strong top-40 prospect prior to his poor performance last Friday. The LSU product lumbered down the track on his 40-yard dash (5.57) and looked heavy-legged in position drills. He simply lacks the lateral quickness and agility to play offensive tackle, which plummets his stock as a potential swing player at the next level.

Darian Thompson, S, Boise State: After trending favorably following a solid week of workouts at theSenior Bowl, Thompson will see his stock head in the opposite direction after his disappointing performance at Lucas Oil Stadium. Coaches and scouts will not only have a tough time ignoring the 4.69 40 time for a potential center-field candidate, but they will struggle believing Thompson has enough quickness or range to serve as an over-the-top defender in a single-high defense. Although Thompson's 17 career interceptions suggest otherwise, the Boise State product will need to run a faster time at his pro day to prove to scouts that he is speedy enough to be a front-line starter at the next level.

Harlan Miller, CB, Southeastern Louisiana: The feisty corner widely had been considered one of the sleepers of the draft class, due to his solid cover skills and spectacular footwork, but a sluggish 40 time (4.65) will make it harder for scouts to sell him as a Day 2 pick. Coaches are reluctant to take chances on corners without solid speed and quickness on the perimeter. Thus, Miller will need to post a faster time at his pro day to change the perception surrounding his potential following the underwhelming workout.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.

AS Brooks pointed out, he reinforced the accuracy issues he had in college at the Combine.  For now, I'll go with what ever Macc decides...................For now

But that article was written back on March 1st. Almost 2 months later we know teams that have multiple 2nd/3rd round picks can afford to use a pick on the third or fourth qb in the draft (Cook). Denver, Cleveland,San Fran & Houston are teams that have been connected to cook in the 2nd or 3rd round. If the "most important" position still isn't settled, why not use our most important pick on a  QB every so often. When you do enough research you eventually find gold. IDK who agrees or disagrees, I want Cook & believe in him

45 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Connor Cooks scouting report is he is an inaccurate, Ahole, with not much passion, or leadership skills.  Right, or wrong that's the reports.

I base my thinking on Cook as sucking because he got worse with accuracy, and he played behind one of the best Olines in College, and a top running game, if you can'tcomplete over 60% with all that you suck balls.

Do you like Hackenberg?

48 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

He was throwing a lot of deep balls at Michigan state & didn't have receivers like Decker & Marshall. Tnats what led to his high incompletion %. But honestly if I could have 1 player in the 1st round it would be Jaylon smith pre injury or Ezekiel Elliot

Maybe some of you folks should go look at the stats for the greatest QB in Jets history. Winning Football is not about how many passes you complete but completing the passes you need to that allows you too win . Both years the Giants won the SB with Eli Manning, they were wild card teams who got hot and Eli made the plays that allowed him to be a 2 time SB champion .  2 plays got the Giants 2 SB championships . A miracle pass to a WR who was cut the following yr and one of the best throws any QB will ever make to a WR who was considered somewhat of a bust as a Giant.

You have to make the plays when the situation calls for it, and that's what determines championship caliber . At least in my eyes it does . I could care less about arm strength or completion percentage. Give me grit and sand and I will show you a champion . Carson Wentz has all that and all the other stuff you folks fall in love with. Cook and Hackenberg has all that but lack the athletic ability of Wentz.  Brissett has it also but is even less athletic even thou he's strong as an ox .

The rest of em you can all have.

Archived