If Paxton turned out to be exactly like Joe Flacco

jett

Would you draft him or no? 

On one hand he has had a successful career and played solid football, but he is no franchise quarterback.  You can win with him, and he can win you a game every once in a while, but he is sometimes inconsistent. 

He's a good quarterback, but not great. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Paxton Lynch reminds me of a taller Geno Smith. No idea how to find his 2nd or 3rd read. Unfamiliar with pro offense concepts. Nose dived the end of his career with a loss against Navy and bowl game embarrassment against Auburn. 

My fear exactly.  Has NFL size and strength (or could develop it), but his brain just isn't remotely ready for the speed and complexity of the Pro game and Pro defenses.

Now, if the Jets are willing to sit him 2-3 years (yes, 2-3, not ******* starting him week 1 like a bunch of idiots and wondering why "learning on the job" never seems to work) then I suppose I could support it in theory, long term plan and building through the draft and all that.

But if fans or the front office want to see Lynch on the filed in games before 2018......well, that's just dumb.  And will likely end as it always does for us when we rush unready QB's, in bust-like failure.

I've always thought Flacco was very overrated but he did win a super bowl and is a reasonable NFL starter but not a guy who can drag a franchise up to his level.  Since the Jets have not had even a competent starter up until last year then yes I would 100% for sure drart him.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

My fear exactly.  Has NFL size and strength (or could develop it), but his brain just isn't remotely ready for the speed and complexity of the Pro game and Pro defenses.

Now, if the Jets are willing to sit him 2-3 years (yes, 2-3, not ******* starting him week 1 like a bunch of idiots and wondering why "learning on the job" never seems to work) then I suppose I could support it in theory, long term plan and building through the draft and all that.

But if fans or the front office want to see Lynch on the filed in games before 2018......well, that's just dumb.  And will likely end as it always does for us when we rush unready QB's, in bust-like failure.

We already have Petty to sit there for a couple of years and learn.  How many can we have on one roster?

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

We already have Petty to sit there for a couple of years and learn.  How many can we have on one roster?

Two.  The #2 and #3 QB's.

Fitz + Petty/Lynch is a workable group.  For about one more year.  Maybe two.  Then either of the two backups would have to be ready to start.

5 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

can't tell if troll.......

we have drafted 2 qb's in the first round since forever (pennington and sanchez).......thats the saddest stat ever....its not like qb has been a need for this team or anything lol

Well that's what happens when the team thinks it has the goods. Over that similar time span, the Colts didn't draft a round 1 QB when they had Manning. Patriots didn't with Brady. Eagles didn't with McNabb, Saints didn't after they picked up Brees. Others as well. It's just that our GMs thought we had one of them when we not only gave our round 1 QBs years to show what they were (or weren't), but gave them each high-priced extensions beyond their rookie contracts. 

It's what we do, and we're like really good at it. Like artists or something.

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Paxton Lynch reminds me of a taller Geno Smith. No idea how to find his 2nd or 3rd read. Unfamiliar with pro offense concepts. Nose dived the end of his career with a loss against Navy and bowl game embarrassment against Auburn. 

Meh, you can do this with just about any college QB.  Navy was decent last year.  Best D he faced and he played pretty well.  They just ran all over Memphis.  Not Lynch's fault.

He torched Ole Miss if we're going to cherry pick games. 

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You also thought Dez Bryant was going to bust.

Look man, it's totally cool to not be a fan of Lynch... but I do have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when you make sh*t up.

The 2nd/3rd read thing? He was the BEST of the top 3 quarterbacks at finding his open guy when the 1st wasn't open. The auburn game was a wash... I've yet to see you demonstrate any kind of insight when talking about him. 

If we draft him, and he's successful - gonna have a really hard time not mailing you dirty diapers every sunday.  

24 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

If he turned out to be the next Joe Flacco then of course. And Flacco is most definitely a franchise QB. He wins playoff games. Thats the sign of a franchise QB. 

In before the stampede of stupid that will inevitably make this about Mark Sanchez.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

You also thought Dez Bryant was going to bust.

Look man, it's totally cool to not be a fan of Lynch... but I do have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when you make sh*t up.

The 2nd/3rd read thing? He was the BEST of the top 3 quarterbacks at finding his open guy when the 1st wasn't open. The auburn game was a wash... I've yet to see you demonstrate any kind of insight when talking about him. 

If we draft him, and he's successful - gonna have a really hard time not mailing you dirty diapers every sunday.  

Meanwhile we just had to sit through a full season of Fitzpatrick, an 11 year veteran  who can't find a 2nd or 3rd read to save his life

On one hand he has had a successful career and played solid football, but he is no franchise quarterback.  You can win with him, and he can win you a game every once in a while, but he is sometimes inconsistent. 

Joe Flacco is most definitely a franchise QB. He has been the Ravens starting QB for years and will be for years to come. That is what franchise QB's do.

If you want to claim he is not an "elite" QB, that's a totally different argument.

But Flacco is definitely a franchise QB.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, you can do this with just about any college QB.  Navy was decent last year.  Best D he faced and he played pretty well.  They just ran all over Memphis.  Not Lynch's fault.

He torched Ole Miss if we're going to cherry pick games. 

also by the way Flacco is 6'6" Lynch is 6'7" that extra inch shouldn't matter but there is such a thing as too tall for the position. Without looking it up I don't believe any QB over 6'6" has ever accomplished anything at the NFL level. It's Derek Anderson country. 

Just now, bitonti said:

also by the way Flacco is 6'6" Lynch is 6'7" that extra inch shouldn't matter but there is such a thing as too tall for the position. Without looking it up I don't believe any QB over 6'6" has ever accomplished anything at the NFL level. It's Derek Anderson country. 

FWIW - I wasnt saying Lynch is Flacco or claiming anything about Lynch.  Just saying, I could cherry pick a lot of college QB games the way you just did.

I think you're right on the height thingy from a history perspective but I'm not sure you dont draft a player because of that.

Osweiler is like 6'7 of something like that. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

FWIW - I wasnt saying Lynch is Flacco or claiming anything about Lynch.  Just saying, I could cherry pick a lot of college QB games the way you just did.

let me be clear I don't hate Paxton Lynch. If he's around in rd 2 that makes more sense from a value perspective. He probably won't be around but these guys don't reach they wait for players to fall. Lynch at 20 feels like a reach. 

also his 18 wonderlic is garbage. Which doesn't bode well for his already suspect defense reading abilities. Geno did better than that. 

put it another way, If he was Cardale Jones (who got a 24 on the test) people would be making Jamarcus Russell comparisons. 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think you're right on the height thingy from a history perspective but I'm not sure you dont draft a player because of that.

Osweiler is like 6'7 of something like that. 

Height isn't the cause of that.  It's the rarity of having guys that tall in general, resulting in a small sample size of QB's 6-6 or taller.  Peyton Manning is 6-5.  Is Bit suggesting that if Peyton were 1 or 2 inches taller, he would have been a colossal failure?  Come on.

Were you guys also aware that shoe size is highly correlated to reading ability, and that ice cream sales are highly correlated with shark attacks?  Both true statements.  Neither imply causality.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Height isn't the cause of that.  It's the rarity of having guys that tall in general, resulting in a small sample size of QB's 6-6 or taller.  Peyton Manning is 6-5.  Is Bit suggesting that if Peyton were 1 or 2 inches taller, he would have been a colossal failure?  Come on.

guys like klingler who were that tall couldn't move, let alone move like lynch.

51 minutes ago, jett said:

Flacco is pretty good.  He has played generally pretty well in the playoffs, got hot one year and won a SB.

I would draft any QB that is good enough to get a good team to a SB, win or lose.  You say, "We can draft this guy, and he won't be  in the HOF, but he can carry a team for short stretches and can win playoff games", I say draft him.

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Two.  The #2 and #3 QB's.

Fitz + Petty/Lynch is a workable group.  For about one more year.  Maybe two.  Then either of the two backups would have to be ready to start.

I so completely agree with this.

Sit, learn something, then play.

49 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

If he turned out to be the next Joe Flacco then of course. And Flacco is most definitely a franchise QB. He wins playoff games. Thats the sign of a franchise QB. 

Yes, draft him. As long as Paxton Lynch comes with the other Raven analogy players of Rice, Suggs and Lewis. Then yes, I am all in. But it has to be a package deal. All four, or nothing. 

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Height isn't the cause of that.  It's the rarity of having guys that tall in general, resulting in a small sample size of QB's 6-6 or taller.   

there are many guys taller than 6'6" they choose to play basketball because in general the NFL doesn't have a place for them. outside of the power forward/TE conversion. No one ever says hey you know that 6'9" guy he'd be great at QB. There's a reason for that. Probably having to do with crouching down to get the center snap, another thing that Lynch never did in college. 

by the way threads like this turn into "Bitonti hated Lynch" absolutes years later. I like Lynch at 2nd/3rd round prices. Not at 20. 

55 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You state this with some expectation he will become the franchise starting QB.  Petty was a 4th round pick.  How many top 10 QB's in the league right now were drafted 4th round?  Top 15?  Petty will probably never be a starter.  That's just reality.  You draft a guy like him to be a solid cheap backup, and if he realizes anymore potential than that then either you've hit the jackpot and make him your starter or you trade him for a sizeable return if you've found your franchise QB elsewhere.  Bryce Petty is our AJ Feely/Matt Flynn. 

1 hour ago, jett said:

As long as he is fantasy draft-able, the masses will be happy.

Archived